Peoria, IL
Bradley University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bradley University

Devin

The best thing about Bradley University is the sheer number of organizations on campus (over 300) and the opportunities that allow you to be involved for how small the campus is. These opportunities include being able to participate in research in certain departments with less competition , creating your own organization easily, internships within departments, more scholarships, leadership positions and much more. It is a great school if you're looking for a school that is small, personal with many opportunities for leadership and involvement.Teachers, advisers and administrators actively try to get to know students, get them involved, make sure you know the material and are on the right track toward reaching your goals. The school is the perfect size if you like small class sizes and not having to walk an hour across campus to get to class. Also Bradley is well known for having a good Basketball team, the number one speech team in the nation and ranking in the top ten in College rankings. People and relatives I have talked to from California, Oregon, Texas, Florida, Oklahoma etc. have all heard of Bradley and are proud that I attend Bradley. I am extremely involved in many organizations on campus so i spend most of my time all over campus. When i'm not in meetings you can find me in campus town at Starbucks or with friends eating at one of the restraunts in campus town or on the Quad hanging out. There is almost always something going on or an organization having an event on campus so you'll never be bored. The only downfall of Bradley is that there is no football team and not much school spirit.

The Student body is very casual. Most people mainly where whatever they feel like. A lot of people tend to wear sweat pants to class or just jeans and a shirt. You will also see a lot of people dressed formally for internships or interviews. The only way a person would feel out of place would be if they were not involved, which is hard to do unless you never leave your room. All students interact with one another and though they live in different dorms or are involved in other organizations most people make a point to get to know and interact with students they do not know.

Bradley focuses mainly on freshman students or those who live in the dorms. If you transfer then you kind of get left out unless you make yourself get involved, once you do its worth it.

This stereotype is not accurate. Granted there are those who fit the stereotype however most students are down to earth and not rich. Bradley being a private school offers lots of scholarships and grants which most students attending Bradley have.

Bradley has really good academics with each major focused toward giving students an advantage to a good job or enter Graduate school. The curriculum tries to build well rounded students and has requirements that will actually help you in the future instead of classeswith information you won't use. Almost all teachers take the time to get to know their students and required advising sessions and teacher office hours help keep you on track. Study Abroad is amazing and because Bradley is private, it allows them to provide more funding scholarships and opportunities for students to study abroad. It is not much more to study in Europe for a semester, or a few weeks then it would be to study here.

Greek life, Residential life staff and athletes are what you hear the most about. Greeks make up about 30% of the campus, res life are very involved with one another and so are the athletes. Even though they may be involved in these organizations most students are involved in a variety of organizations on campus and become involved with students that are not in those organizations. Depending on the personalities of people on a floor, most people leave their doors open. The campus really tries to get students involved on campus and with each other. At the beginning of the year there is even a competition for who leaves their doors open the most with a chance to win gift cards and other things. I met my closest friends on my floor on move in day and from my sorority. Rushing a Greek house is a very good opportunity to meet people in a house or those rushing with you. Basketball games, soccer game are very popular and every so often there will be a concert on campus or a play in the theater. Parties happen usually on the weekends and sometimes random weeknights. Usually major ones are off campus ,at a fraternity house and sometimes the dorms. In the dorms most people have get togethers and major ones are sponsored by the dorm itself like the all hall ball. At two in the morning depending on what time of the year it is people could be out, or just coming in, walking around campus, in the library or off campus. Off campus you can go dancing, go down town, shopping at the two malls, eat explore peoria, ride the ferry and much more. Last weekend a few of my friends and I ate at a restaurant by the river front, took random pictures and walked around downtown. There are lots of things you can do that don't involve drinking both on and off campus all you need to do is look. On campus we have late night BU and sometimes there will be movies playing in the theater or other events going on.

Before i went to Bradley I thought/heard that the students were stuck up and rich.

Andy

Bradley is a mid-sized private university. The common answer to the "Why did you choose Bradley?" question usually has something to do with the size. With approximately 6,000 students, it is easy to get to know a lot of people, while still not knowing everyone. You usually know at least one person in every class you take, but you still meet new people along the way. The attention from the faculty is also nice. Professors know names and know about students. They know what our extracurricular activities are and what classes we have taken with them.

While there is diversity at Bradley, it is a predominately white campus. The administration recognizes this as a not-so-good statistic and they are making it a priority to incorporate more diversity on campus. In class, students basically wear whatever they want. Some are perfectly comfortable rolling out of bed and coming to class with messy hair in their pajamas. Most wear t-shirts and blue jeans and a sweatshirt or sweater when it is colder. Sadly, Bradley is pretty apathetic. There are political organizations on campus and a student senate, but most students do not care too much about them. There are students who are very politically active if you want to find a group to socialize with.

Kind of. We do have rich, snobby, spoiled kids from Chicago, but there are also poor, humble, kids from other parts of the country. Probably a majority of our students are from the Chicago area, but we also have many students from other parts of the country, as well as international students.

Professors definitely know your name. My favorite example is a professor who learned (and still remembers) the name of every student in a general education class with over 80 students. The professors sincerely care about the students and do their best to help with class advising, career counseling, and overall support. Usually every department holds some sort of social event during the year for their students like picnics, pizza parties, or bowling trips.

Greek life is very active on campus. The actual percentage of Greek students is 30%, but it seems like more. However, it is not such a large percentage of students that non-Greek students feel left out. The Greek community socializes with other people and do not generally discriminate. Of course, they hold parties on the weekends that are popular, but by no means does everyone on campus drink. You can always find a group of people who have the same interests as yourself to hang out with. Bradley also has over 240 other student organizations. There are a wide variety of organizations, so there is always something for everyone. Also, it is very easy for a group of students to start a new club. The basketball team is the pride and glory of Bradley. The student section is called "The Red Sea" and it is full of rowdy students every single game. The soccer team is also pretty good and gets a lot of students excited. There are also lots of intramural sports to get involved in.

Rich, snobby, spoiled, from Chicago.

Mario

I think the campus is too small and compact. I think it should be expanded, perhaps even connected to the park. I think the dorms need makeovers, almost all. There should be more activities and interests during weekends. Another thing I really don't like about Bradley is that it is in a crimeful city, and I realize that would be asking for too much, but still, having less crime in Peoria should be a priority.

Student Body is great.

Bradley is great, but should be better.

Academics are great. Most professors are excellent professors. I wish some professors showed more enthusiasm during class.

Bradley could use more of a social life.

It is an all Engineering school.

Dani

It is the perfect size. Not to big or too small. We have pretty good athletic teams, except for the downfall that we don't have football. There are tons of bars if you like nightlife. However, not very many of them are within walking distance, so you'll usually always need a cab. If I could have changed one thing about Bradley it would have been its location. The areas surrounding campus aren't the best and pretty unsafe at night.

Not completely. We definitely do have our fair share of spoiled brats, but there is a good mix of students from all income levels and varying backgrounds.

I would say Bradley has a pretty strong academic reputation. Classes are usually small so you can't definitely can't skip class much because your professor knows your face. The faculty is very dedicated to their students and are usually always willing to spend time with you outside of class if you need extra help.

That we are stuck up private school students with parents who have tons of money

Chelsey

Best thing about Bradley is definitely the community that is made on campus. When you are a student at Bradley, you are part of 6,000 member family. I would say that Bradley is just right in the size. It is big enough to have a variety of majors and yet small enough that you don't have 200 people in a lecture hall for each one of your classes. When you mention that you go to Bradley, people look at you as one of the elite. When you go to Bradley and then graduate, there is a great network of employers that are connected with our campus throughout our time here. As to whether or not Peoria is a college town or not, there are definitely parts of town that you can see it is a college town, but for most of the town, I don't personally see Peoria as a college town. Yes, Bradley is a presence in Peoria, but it is not the only thing that Peoria has to offer. Half of my time spent on campus when I lived in the dorms, was in the dorms. Whether it was my room or a friends, there is always something to do. The other half of the academic buildings, either in class or working on labs. My opinion of the BU administration is wonderful. Before I came to Bradley, I went to a visit day at another campus where the administration was awful. Then I can to a visit day at Bradley and my outlook changed. The staff are eager and willing to answer any questions that you may have. Most are reachable by email and all have their own phone extension. But if you want face to face, they usually have office hours posted on their doors, and then you can make an appointment with them. There is definitely BU Braves Pride present on campus, especially when it comes to soccer and our basketball team. I personally have student season tickets to the basketball games and have only missed 2 home games in the 2 going on 3 years that I have been there. There is nothing like going to the game and cheering on your own team and feeling their wins and their losses!

The dress of the students to class ranges from sweatpants and t-shirts to dress up clothes. It just depends on what that student felt like wearing that morning. Most of the student body is from Illinois and it's surrounding states. But I have a few friends from Nevada, Arizona, and California. Students are definitely politically aware. There is a student senate and also Democratic and Republican organizations. I would say that every student on campus is in at least one organization on campus - whether that be Greek or just something that interests them - we get involved!

No, neither of the two that I listed are accurate.

The professors at Bradley make an effort to get to know you personally. But if you go to their office hours and get extra help if you need it, they will definitely know you. Has for how often students study, it really does depend on the major. My friend who is a criminal justice major only studies when it comes times for tests and things of that nature. But my friend who is a mechanical engineering major and myself, being a health science major, have to study every night, no matter if there is a test or quiz the next day or not, because our 2 majors build on the material that is learned at the beginning. So if you don't master it, you don't master the material to follow. The health science major is the major you declare if you would like to go onto Physical, Speech, or Occupational therapy or a field like that. The department is very nice, and Sharon, the secretary is amazing! She has helped me through many problems. As for spending time with professors out of class, it depends on the class and if you personally want extra help. The education at Bradley is definitely geared towards getting a job. We have a Career Center on campus that is always having job fairs and internship fairs to let the student body know what is happening outside the Bradley bubble.

If you live in the dorms, most students do leave their doors open. I can remember many a movie nights that started just because someone walked into someone else's room and said "Hey do you wanna watch a movie?". Athletic events can be popular if they are basketball or soccer. But it all depends on what kind of sports you like. We have all kinds, and if there isn't a team, we have intramurals where you can be on a team that doesn't play nationally. People tend to party Thursday - Saturday so that they can study on Study. But if there is a special at the bar, you can bet that people will be there. Fraternities more than sororities seem to throw the best parties, but sometimes it is better to just start your own party. If you want to get off campus and like to dance, you can go to Stone Country in Bartonville. It is mainly line dancing, but on Friday nights, they have a DJ that spins so it is not only country music that is played - & it's a blast!

One major stereotype is that if you are not in Greek life, you don't exist. Well, I am one of those that exists without being involved in Greek life. There are many other clubs and organizations on campus that you can be involved in without going Greek. Don't get me wrong, some of my friends are in Greek life, and they love it! One stereotype that I heard before coming to Bradley wass that it is not that great of a school because if had a small student body - that is so wrong! If anything, having a small student body makes the school greater - socially and academically - because you are not just a number on the enrollment sheet, you have a name and a face. Most of my teachers know me by name and speak to me in the halls, even after my class with them is over.

lauren

Coming from a graduating class of 1,000 kids, I like the size of Bradley. It's not too big where you see unfamiliar faces everyday, and it's not too small where you know everything about the person. When i walk outside i don't know everyone but know a good amount of people that are walking around. I spend most of my time either in my room studying or with friends in their room or outside when it's nice out. With the class size of about 15 students, the professors are always willing to help and are actually able to call you by name and not "hey you" because they don't remember you in their class; like larger schools do. There are not that many complaints i hear about coming to Bradley at all, besides the cafeteria food, but what do you expect? a gourmet meal coming out of the cafeteria? The food is actually pretty good with the vegetarian diet that they offer everyday at Gisert, along with the many variety's of food that they serve. I love it at Bradley and i know you will too!

Coming to college i was afraid that I would be sitting in a huge lecture hall and the professor teaching about 100 students at once. But here at Bradley it's completley different. The professors know you name and want to get to know you as a friend. They are always there to help when needed and are very well educated

Social life can kinda of take over one's life if you are not well disciplined. Living on your own can be very exciting but you have to remember that you are at school for a reason. I always think of it as a job 5 days out of the week and the weekend i can relax a little but still find time for school work. At college, parties happen quit frequently, you have to remember what you are at school for and need to discipline yourself. But going to a party doesn't mean you have to drink. You can go there and drink water if you really want to, people respect others opinions and don't question them.

That we are rich because we go to a private school. Our campus is like a parking lot it's so small. The reason they call us a college is because we have some what of a quad.

Jane

Its nice because its a small community and its easy to meet people.

Its nice because its a small community and its easy to meet people.

many students at bradley come from the chicago suburbs and are pretty wealthy, but there are plenty of students that are not.

Class sizes are small and you can get to know your professors and get extra help

Its really easy to meet people at bradley. Floors in the dorms get really close and people always leave their doors open and talk to each other. there are alot of different activities to become with. There is a big greek population.

Everyone is really friendly and likes to have fun

Paul

I think one of the best things about Bradley is the student body's friendliness. When I was a senior in high school I came to visit 2 times (I stayed with a friend overnight both times) and noticed how friendly everyone is. Everyone was smiling to each other, saying hi even if they had only met each other one time, etc. I also like how the campus can feel like a big campus when you want it to, but at other times it can feel like a very small campus. It is all what you make of it.

I'm not sure if any student would feel very out of place at Bradley, but that is just my opinion. The campus is very open to everyone.

No, they are true to an extent, but as a student, I have seen people who are the complete opposite of that stereotype. I also know that Bradley is trying to push to get more out of state students then they ever have before to increase student diversity.

I think its great that the class sizes at Bradley are small. The average class size is 23, with only 1% of classes being held in lecture settings. (as I said, I work in admissions and give tours, so I'm full of all sorts of little facts) Even in a lecture setting the teacher can still get to know your name, since a lecture setting might be 100 people, which compared to a larger school is nothing. Some larger schools have lecture classes of 700-1000 people. I think the professors at Bradley are the best of the best. They are hired not to lecture to their students, but to create a learning environment. Not a note taking environment.

The Greek system is huge at Bradley. About 30% of students are involved in the Greek system, which compared to a larger school would probably be about 10%. The Greeks run a majority of campus events, philanthropies, etc. They also are where most people go for a weekend social life (or weekday?)

Some stereotypes are that Bradley students are all rich white kids from the suburbs of IL.

Heather

Overall, Bradley is a very good school to go to. It offers well-versed instructors and classes for the best learning environment. Bradley is centered in Peoria, which is a city in central Illinois. Peoria may be a large city for the region but it has a small town feel. I transferred from a public state 4 year university to Bradley and the amount of information I learn greatly increased. The education offered is one of the highest possible. Bradley students take great pride in their athletic teams. When there are some tragedies on campus, as in student deaths, the community of staff and students come together to support each other. It is one of the best universities in the Midwest.

The student body is diverse. There are a good amount of international students on campus. Most students hold a part time job to help pay for college expenses. There isn't the typical cliques as you would find in high school. Some of your closest friends will be from the dorms that you live in as well as those from your classes. There are many school-wide events that allow for you to meet new people.

The professors become your friends as well as instructors. They truly care about you as students and your successes. They are always available for more help as well as counselling. Personally, I am in advanced nursing classes and I spend most of my free time studying. Bradley is a very studious school. Most days, the library is packed with students hiding away to study for their classes. The education that I have received thus far from Bradley, has prepared me for my future career as a RN. I work as a CNA now and the theories and skills I have learned at Bradley have helped me tremendously for my job. I do not feel as though I lack in education.

Many students are Greek. Many are in their major's organization to help them with their careers. Many athletic events are sold out, so its always a blast to be with your fellow students to cheer on your school. Homecoming Week is a blast with a school-wide event each day. Movies, bowling, shopping, hanging out, playing games are all things that can be done on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking.

studious, partiers, Greek, athletes

stephen

Bradley is for people who do not want to go to a huge school and have to walk and take the bus everywhere to get to class. It is also not a very small school either and will meet people from all over. It is awesome just waiting up 10 minutes before class and walking to class without being late. College town is not the best, not much to do around. Campus itself is changing a lot with a new president and it will be amazing.

Student body is not very cultured. Has gotten way better than before, but still not multi cultured body. Needs more work on getting other racial groups involved and attending than just focusing on African Americans. Asians and Latinos are very underrepresented and I feel are viewed lower. Most students come from the area or Chicago area. Some international students or out of staters.

Decent school, not the best. Will be different environment if coming from a diverse city.

No, I would not be at this school without financial aid so again, its only a stereotype.

Class size is like high school, only some classes are large. Once you get into higher level classes, class size gets smaller. Because class is smaller, some professors have attendance as part of grade which most big schools do not even care if you do not show up. Professors are nice and most are good, not all. Biology department is pretty good. So is history. Hear math and physics department is terrible though. Students in your major start to become competitive, at least for science majors, during sophomore year.

Not much to do on campus if you do not go Greek. Greek life seems to have more fun and more privilege. Intramurals are good, organizations are easy to start. Parties have to be careful because we have task force that visits once in a while. Dorm life is loud like always. Lot of events for Greek life. Lots of music on campus, small music artists.

People think Bradley is a school for rich kids because it is an expensive private school.

Bradley University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.