Peoria, IL
Bradley University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bradley University

Cameron

Bradley University is not foe everyone. The alcohol policy has become a problem recently before school recently ended. Some are threatening to to transfer even. Bradley University is in thw works of becoming a "dry campus". Students have died under the effects of alcohol and have been dismissed from the University for such actions. Bradley is very supportive in working with students in finding job placement after graduation and even before graduation. The most controversial topic in past few years was the Bradley mascot who was a Brave Native American.

MOst of the religious groups enjoy the diversity each person brings to their group. No one would feel out of place unless they just don;t want to get to know anyone or try new things.

All of my professors actually knew my name. My favorite class I really did not hav eon eI enjoyed all of them for different reasons. The academic requirements are a little long but its preparing us for the real world in every class that we are required to take.

Their is not just one popular group on campus, everything is popular because everyone has different interests. Most all students leave their dorm room open unless they aren't there (of course!) but mostly everyone is friendly. The athletic events are CRAZY! Free tickets are given out at times even for the city's baseball team at the beginning of the school year and if something important is going on at the time. Every year there is a Block Party,Taste of Bradley,Activities Fair and numerous other events the beginning of the week to get acquainted with everyone and everything taking place on campus.

Kaitlin

If you're looking for a small school, Bradley's great...but if you're not looking for a small school don't come here. You'll constantly run into the people you know, so if you're looking to avoid someone it's pretty difficult. We have a new alcohol policy that sucks but we'll see how well it's enforced. The Bradley Bubble isn't bad, but Peoria isn't exactly a college town, there are alot of areas you don't want to go. The campus is small but awesome, I really love it here.

The campus isn't very diverse, but I don't see alot of prejudice or anything. Campus attire is definitely pretty lazy, if you have a morning class everybody is in sweats, in the afternoons more kids are wearing jeans, but there are always alot of hoodies. We're mostly middle to upper class white kids from the suburbs of chicago, but you definitely don't need to be that to fit in here. Bradley is historically liberal, but you'd be surprised at how many conservatives you find, but we're not very politically active at all. There are alot of religious groups, both jewish and christian/catholic. There are many activities throughout each semester to encourage diversity and acceptance.

There's so much individual attention. There are less then twenty kids in some of my classes. The professor's overall are smart and helpful. I'm an education major and my professors are absolutely amazing. Classes are small and discussion oriented rather then lecture oriented.

If you don't go greek, especially if you're a guy, finding a social life can be kind of hard. The majority of the parties on the weekends are hosted by fraternities, so if you're a girl you can still find things to do but if you're a guy you're pretty much s.o.l. I'm in a sorority and I love it, and I was always friends with the guys before this, so they're definitely not like most people think they are. Any of our sororities are really great. The dating scene is good, but Bradley is small so it can seem like finding new people is hard after a semester. There's a party or somewhere to party any night of the week, but like any campus thursdays-saturdays are the best nights. Bradley has a great orientation program, that's where I met my closest friends. It's a few days long and really gives you the chance to meet kids. I met alot of people through rush and greek life, but you meet alot of people just hanging out in the dorms. The social life and activities are definitely my favorite part about bradley.

Dale

Most people say something like "good for you!" or "that's just great!" when they hear I'm at Bradley. Not many from my high school go there, so it's quite a treat. A lot of people appreciate the small class sizes (outside of a lecture hall, the biggest class I've been in is 30ish). I wouldn't consider Peoria a college town. I've been to Champaign, and that's a college town. Peoria is just a city.

Bradley's pretty white and affluent. Not to say there isn't a black, Asian, or Jewish culture (there is a cultural center, actually), but it is by far white kids from the Chicago area.

Don't get drunk and play with fireworks - you might just kill your friend. But hey, you'll only get 6 months in jail.

Not all of them are, but there are definitely a lot. Outside the Peoria area is a lot of farmland and this one asshole in my CIV class kept talking about how a bunch of hillbillies lived in the area. He isn't totally wrong, but the attitude he had about it was ridiculous.

Professors generally know my name. If it's a class where assignments are weekly or so, then they do. If not, I don't think they do unless I would have to meet them or talk to them about something. I've noticed class participation is similar to high school - only a few participate, but they never shut the hell up when they do, and the whole class keeps looking at each other waiting for the loudmouth to finally quiet down.

I don't live on campus so I'm pretty oblivious to what happens there, really.

They're all a bunch of rich, Chicago kids.

Jacob

The best thing about Bradley is that its a small school and that your able to get to know your teachers on a one-on-one basis. Where if you went to a big school, your just another student to the teachers. The town that Bradley is in, Peoria, is a shitty town!

Student body is great. Where all really friendly and we do a lot to help the college and what not.

The classes are great. Some of the gen. eds. you think would be easy, but there not always easy!

The social life here at Bradley, could be a little better, but it isn't. The school just came out with a new drinking rule and the school wants to try and be a "dry" school. Greek life is extremely small compared to bigger schools, but we still have a big impact on the school.

Where not a party school, where a small school so there is nothing to do.

Amy

The best thing about Bradley is by far the family-type atmosphere. Once you attend Bradley, you feel like you are part of a big family, and you never ever want to leave. Eventhough this is great when you are on campus, it makes breaks really hard, because most of the students go home for breaks, you are away from that family you have created at Bradley. It's such an encouragement, and a blessing! The only thing that I would change about Bradley, is the cost. It is a private university, and the cost proves that. But, if you have Federal Aid, and grants and loans, the cost isn't too bad at all. This year, I think the total costs were right around $29,000. But, with Federal grants, and student aide, and loans my family only had to pay around $2,000. (yes, this is still a lot, but no where near the full cost.) There is one other thing that i would like to change. Bradley likes to keep you here longer than 4 years. I just changed my major the summer between my soph, and jr. year, and I'm going to be here an extra semester. My brother also went to Bradley, and he was here for 4.5 years also, but he got done with a 5 year program in 4.5 years (Mechanical Engineering) I feel that Bradley is just the right size. We are at about 6,000 students. about 600 of them are graduate students. The rest are undergrads. But don't worry you don't have to live on campus all 4 or 5 years. You are required to live on campus for the first two years, unless you are in a Fraternity, or sorority, or if you are a commuter student. As for spending time on campus, there are a lot of things that are going on every day, and every weekend. There is a new recreation center being built, and it should be done the first few weeks of the fall 2008 semester. There is also a lot to do around Peoria. There is bowling for 1.75 (shoes included!) and a place called Stone Country (line dancing, and a dance club..now smoke free)Anything you could want to do, you can do! One thing that is unusual about Bradley, is that we don't have a football team. Soccer and basketball are the main attractions. Our soccer team made it to the NCAA Div. 1 Final Four!! OUr basketball team made it to the sweet sixteen two years ago, and was 2nd place in the bradnew CBA tournament this year! Homecoming is in the fall with the soccer season. the most frequent student complaints are that there isn't enough lighting around campus when it's dark. So, the university's new president (4'0 President Glasser) has started a 10 million dollar lighting project, and it will be done before the fall semester starts.

There are groups for every culture, religion, and idea thought of in this nation. Students sometimes do talk about how much they will earn, but it's not a topic on everyone's minds. There are also political groups that go out and support the candidates in different ways. No one would feel left out here at Bradley. Seriously, there are over 200 groups and organizations here. Something for everyone. And, if someone gets an academic teacher (or advisor, and 5 other students)they can start up their own organization or group on campus!

No. Bradley has a lot of different cultures on campus, even if a lot of the students are from the Chicagoland area. I have found that hardley any of the Chicago kids are suck-up...most of them are very respectable, and down to earth types of people. Yes and no. Bradley is not in the best area, but there is this thing we like to call the Bradley Bubble. Bradley sits on a hill, atop Peoria, Il. We are very sheltered in this area, away from crime, and all the "real world" stuff. When you go to orientation, you are warned not to "go down the hill". "down the hill" is where most of Peoria's crimes, and drugs happen. But believe me, none of this is a factor while you are at school. I've been at BU for 2 years now, and I have never ever had a problem with that, and neither have any of my friends.

Class sizes are usually small...if it's in your major then usually 12-25 students per class, and you get to know the people in your major really well! There are the big lecture classes, and the biggest one that is offered is 150 people, and that's for a gen ed. called Music appreciation (it's one of the fine arts requirements) I feel that there is a great group of professors and they all seem to know you by name. I had one professor for every semester since I've been here. Ted Fleming (BIOLOGY) and he's one of the best teachers I've ever had, ever. Instructors are required to have mandatory office hours, and they are always willing to meet with you outside of class if you are having problems, or just want some extra help. We do have one professor that we are pretty sure is going to cure cancer. (Dr, Cady--neurophysiologist) Bradley has a 95% job placement rate. Obviously that will be higher for majors such as nursing, and engineering.

Frats and Sororities are very comoon. 15frats, and 7 sororities. if you live in Heitz--everyone's door is always open...but Uhall on the other hand, their doors are always closed. Uhall is also known as the party dorm.

Most people think that Bradley is full of stuck-up rich Chicago areal kids. Bradley is in a "bad" neighborhood.

Alex

No, we have rich kids, and we are multicultural, there does tend to be alot of jewish community but it affects the campus positively

Small class sizes means very personable. Participation common and usually professor even knows your name. Easy to get in contact with professor.

Greek life is very big. Bad thing is getting less fun because police are becoming more active...if you have that sort of social life. Not much to do on weekends unless you have a car for non-partying activities

Small school=rich kids, All White, jewish, not smart students

I absolutely love Bradley. It's so quaint. It has its own small bubble, and I feel completely safe while on campus. But unlike some other small schools I've seen, its not in the middle of nowhere, all you have to do is walk two blocks and you're in a city. Wouldn't change anything; just the right size; most people ask where it is; outside the dorms or on the quad; Peoria is definitely not based around Bradley; the administration is good; um, the upping of drinking tickets?; yes, a lot of school pride, everyone wears Bradley clothing; not really anything unusual; can't remember anything too special, just a lot of little things; costs of drinking tickets.

None; I don't know; normal clothes?; yes; they're probably talking as if one big group, I haven't really seen any cliques here; Chicago suburbs; parents are probably upper middle-class, but not wealthy; I don't know or care, I am definitely not; not really, most of my friends are concerned with doing something they'll enjoy.

Yes, professors know my name; favorite would have to be Accounting, but I'm just weird like that. I don't know if I really had a least favorite; everyone I know study all the time, but I never study; class participation is a big part of most of my classes; I'm sure some Bradley students have intellectual conversations; I don't really see much competitiveness between students; I suppose West Civ and Comp, since it was an honors class and year-long; Accounting is the best thing in the world. I don't know much about the department, although I love how they do have the 3-2 thingy to get a Master's; I have met with several of my professors outside of class; I suppose the requirements are standard, nothing too special or hard about the gen eds; I would say Bradley is half and half with learning for a career and learning just to learn. I think Bradley has a good balance.

I don't know, probably the Greek life; I'm not involved in any groups; probably about a third do. Mine is always open; I know quite a few people who go to all the athletic events, I've never heard of anyone listening to a guest speaker, and a lot of people go see the plays; I am not one to talk about the dating scene; One was my roommate for a few months, one was my neighbor freshman year, and one was in my West Civ and Comp class; watching TV, hanging out with one of my close friends, or outside smoking by myself; I've only been here one year, so I don't really know; well I have a few friends who party probably every day of the week, I have a few friends who only party on the weekends, and I have a few friends (including myself) who never or rarely party; a lot of people are involved in the Greek life, but my friends and myself are not into that; I got this over summer break, so I doubt its relevant; I usually hang out with my other friends that don't drink; I tend to stay on campus, cities scare me.

I've sensed that many people from Peoria assume that Bradley students must be rich.

Dustin

Bradley is a smaller school, but the size is perfect and you get to know a lot of new people and meet a lot of new friends. There is a lot to get involved in and there is many programs and extra curricular activities to get involved in.

Most students around campus are friendly. You see a lot of the same people over and over again because the campus is so small.

You can really get to know your professors and they are easy to talk to and get a hold of when you need the help. Some teachers are tougher on their students than others and their work is harder. You learn a lot and in a good and fun manner.

There are a lot of organizations and programs that students can get involved in. There are sports and clubs, a variety of things to join in for Freshmen coming in to join and any other student to join. These organizations are good ways to keep busy and to meet a lot of knew people.

It is a tougher university Parties are good

Cody

Yes, if you are to walk into the dorms on a friday or saturday night, probably over half of the students, mostly underage, are completely wasted and drunk and nothing is done to stop this.

Bradley University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.