Waukesha, WI
Carroll University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Carroll University

Dear Ashley, College is really scary. It's really hard to be away from all of your siblings and parents. Just remember they are a phone call away! Also try to budget your money more... you are a poor college student and can't afford to get your ears pierced every other week or that frapuccino at Starbucks. Be more social. Just introduce yourself and start asking them questions. If you are confident people will flock to you, so just be yourself. Don't be suprised when you lose or make new friends. Some people come into your life as a blessing and others as lessons. Everything happens for a GOOD reason... Inhale the future, exhale the past. You can't change what already happened, so focus on what you need to get done and do it! Sincerely, Future Ashley

Carroll University is a relatively small school. Because of this it is easy to get one on one time with professors. They are always willing to give extra help and give you more resources when needed. You are also able to get to know your professors and build a relationship with them. This can be useful for references or letters of recomendation.

If you are looking for a large campus with a lot of diversity Carroll propably wouldn't be the right fit! also if you want to be in the city, Carroll is more in a residential area.

Emma

The students at Carroll University are a diverse and eclectic group of people like you would find at any University. Although it may seem cliché, there are definitely distinct clicks at Carroll. There are the athletes, which comprises of the over 100 football players, the theater kids that take advantage of Carroll’s superb theater program, and the kids that are involved in everything and every event that the school holds. Although there are distinct groups of people present at Carroll, everyone is a piece of the puzzle that is needed to complete the whole well rounded school.

The advice that I would give my younger self is advice that everyone has received; just be yourself. When I was getting ready to head off to the big world of college I was leaving my high school behind and as a consequence, my high school friends as well. I was a bundle of nerves moving into a new world. Not only was I anxious about the difficult classes, but also meeting new people and whether or not I would be liked. However, looking back on my experience I was silly for being nervous. College is a place where you make friends that last a life time and I decided that I wanted these friends to know the real me. I did not change myself or go against my morals to be liked by my peers. At first I was nervous that this would result in few friends for Emma but I quickly found out that people respected my decisions and accepted me for me. I was simply myself, and that was the best thing to be.

Before attending Carroll I wish I had known more about Waukesha, the city Carroll is located in. Although Waukesha is a fairly large city, there are not many activities or restaurants within walking distance from the campus. This was quite unfortunate for those who did not have a car on campus and made for some boring weekends.

If I could go back in time, I would tell my high school senior self to start saving money, stay on top of scholarship deadlines and explore all options of every college/university looked at. When exploring college options I looked at prices and never thought much of it, now as I struggle to pay for college every month I look back and realize that I never put into perspective what I was getting myself into. With no financial help from my parents and not interested in taking out loans I needed to (and still need to) exhaust every financial aid avenue I could find. However, I pushed off scholarships and did not really grasp that I would need to pay a significant amount of money every month in order to pursue my education. Not staying on top of things will put you behind significantly so do not take finances lightly. Also, when exploring a college make sure you understand all aspects of a university and how the faculty can help you. Ask questions about everything, know where and how to get involved, understand academic requirements and ask how the experience has been for fellow students.

The best thing about Carroll University is the cultural immersion that the university emphasizes throughout all four years of higher education. The university's goal to immerse each student within different cultures is beneficial in any career path as you learn how to relate to others and be able to understand a view from multiple perspectives. The most fun and beneficial component of this cultural immersion is taking a trip to another culture anywhere from a week to a semester of your choice. This trip allows one to truly see another culture and how those aspects relate in their life.

The worst thing about my school is the cost. I enjoy all aspects of Carroll and the opportunities given to the students as far as convocations and fun events. However, paying so much money takes away from being able to do fun events off campus. Also, another frustrating aspect is that students and families pay a large amount of money and in some residence halls the equipment (vaccuums, washers, dryers) is very old and does not work well. You'd think if you pay $30,000 to go to school you would have nice items to use.

Genesis

Hi, I am you in one year, and let me tell you that there is much you do not know about going to college, but do not worry I am going to give you some advise that is sure to help you in making the transition easier. The first thing is that you will struggle in math if you do not seek for extra help from teachers in high school, because if you do not seek for help now you will have to pay for extra classes in college and that will upset you very much. I know you think that college is a second chance and, it is but much of what you learn in high school is applied in college classes. One more thing do not get confused in what path to take for becoming a dentist. It is essential for you to ask your advisors when you are not sure on what classes to take. The path you need to take is associate in science. Do not let your pass discourage you. Good luck and always keep a positive mind never be scared to ask when you need help and apply for scholarships you will need it.

Carroll University is a small, close-knit institition that offers one-on-one education and unique oppurtunities to its studen...

Carroll University is a small, close-knit institition that offers one-on-one education and unique oppurtunities to its students.

" College is a Balancing Act" Once you enter the world of college you will not want to go back to high school. The college life goes by your schedule; you get to pick when your classes are and which professors you want. With this comes a lot more responsibilty, however. It is up to you to go to class, turn your homework in, and do well on your exams. Professors will not hound you to hand in assignments like high school teachers did. While, in general, professors do care how well you do it is not their job to ensure that you are doing everything you can be. You need the initiative to obtain help from tutors and ask professors for clarification. Also, you have an excess amount of free time during college. Classes do not run from 7:00am-3:00pm anymore. You need to make good use of your time. Have fun and enjoy yourself. Make new friends and experience crazy things. If you do not get out of the books, you will have a breakdown. College makes you learn to relax. Keep in mind though that you are there for one purpose: to get an education.

Being in a suburban community there are not a lot of nearby activities to do on the weekends outside of the campus. Bluemound Road is close-by, but not in walking distance. Freshmen cannot have cars on campus due to lack of space, so it is difficult to get to places you would want to go on the weekend.

Justin

I would tell myself to choose this University rather than attend a Technical College to purse a degree in Marketing. I spent a good amount of time getting a degree that I don't want to have a career in but eventually found what I want to do. Some people don't know what they want to do when they graduate high school, however, knowing what I know now I would have been able to save a lot of time and a lot of money and could have graduated from this school with a four year degree and possibly even a career as well. Sometimes it takes a long time to figure something out and sometimes that extra time is needed. However, if I had the opportunity to do so, I would have told myself to take my time in deciding what I wanted to do in life and not to rush any decisions.

There's nothing I can say currently that's bad about the school since it's my first semester.

Anyone looking for a quality education and prefers a small campus would enjoy this school. Any kind of person could attend this school, however, everyone is different and depending on what the choice of study is and location per student, someone may either choose to attend or find another school. Personally, it's a small campus, small class sizes and convenient. Anyone looking for a University with these specifications should attend this school.

Yvonne

My advise to myself as a high school senior would be to not quit attending school. Education is something no-one can take away from you. Once you stop attending school, you get caught up in every day life. Get a "job" not a career, start acquiring bills, having babies, mortgages. When you get caught up in "Life" its very hard to just stop and pick up where you should have never left off. It's very hard to go back to school after "life" starts happening. Being out of school for many years before returning may take extra studying. You tend to forget some of the rules of math after awhile. Don't use it, you loose it. I regret not listening to my parents about staying in school. I am now, 26 yrs later beginning my college education. It's hard! There is a trade off for everything.

shannon

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would encourage myself to concentrate on education instead of fun stuff. I would let myself know how hard college can be and that there are not as many people holding out their hands to help. In college you have to self relient, responsible, and organized, I would also tell myself to work hard because college is expensive and you do not get another chance to retake things without paying for it. I would say being in college and being an adult are hard but dont give up just keep going. Get the good grades, be a good student because what you learn in college will affect your life. Getting the good job, making the money is important to your future so do your best, its well worth it in the end.

Brian

Going back I would definitley encourage myself to participate in more speeches and class discussions as this builds confidence not only in your speaking skills, but also how you view your potential abilities in applying your knowledge from what you learned in school to other students or professional workers. I was able to work as a voulenteer in our school's writing center as well as being a captain for our swim team. Both roles required allowing yourself to step a little outside my comfrot zone, verbalizing my thoughts and ideas to colaborate with all members of the team and students with different ability levels of how to write. As much as this helped, I would have prefered to have had more opportunities to speak to larger groups.

A well grounded, family oriented individual would do well here. Shy or outgoing doesnt matter, as the university and its social programs are all imcompassing. There are many social and intermural clubs available to fit all personalities and interests. All persons are welcome and included warmly and openly.

Carroll University is a small and family oriented college. We have a great network of community spirit and accedemic learning. Carroll is a strong teaching/nursing school that is also modernizing their science buildings and programs. The city of Waukesha is very supportive of this college. The city and allumi participate in the move in process for students. It also relies on the clubs, i.e. eco club, for community support.

Classmates are typically helpful but can sometimes be in it just for themselves. Some are very preppy and stuck-up but others could be friends for life.

We are best known for our nursing program as well as certain athletics.

If I could go back in time and do this whole thing over again, I would definitely tell myself to look at other options, both college and career. If I could go back, I'm not sure I would still come to Carroll. I took the easy way out and picked a field that was more of a hobby at the time just because I knew it would be easy and because I was good at it. Looking back, I should have done more research on other career options to get the best job. I would probably also tell myself to save money earlier than I did as college is very expensive, both the school and livng expenses. Not only that but I would tell myself to look for books on cheaper websites in order to save some money rather than going directly to the school bookstore.

Carroll University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.