Centralia, WA
Centralia College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Centralia College

When you are given the oppertunity to take part in the Running Start program, given the chance to earn both college and high school credits beginning your junior year, choosing to do it will be the best choice you ever made. Your only expenses are class fees and books, if you begin your junior year you can walk away with your diploma and AA by the end of your senior year, you have more flexibility to work part time since you will not be in class as long as high school and starting your transition out of high school first with a community college and then to a university helps make the transition so much easier and smoother. You can still participate in any high school activities just as well as the college, and you will truely regret not taking advantage of the oppertunity while you have the chance. If you choose to wait until you graduate, Centralia College is still a great place to begin your jouney into the "real world", helping you figure out where you want to be and what you have to do to get there, while at the same time being affordable.

Before attending Centralia College, you attend CC101, which is like an orentation. During this, I feel like I was given all the information, tours etc that I needed and then some. Along with news and information posted around campus, there really isnt anything that you can't easily figure out. Honestly, I was given all the information I needed to know before coming to this school and cannot think of anything I wish I had known.

I am a Centralia College Running Start student, and it is a great program. I really think high school juniors and seniors should take advantage of this great program. I will be graduating with my AA this year. Aside from Running Start students, anyone who is just trying to figure out which career path to choose still would find success in this school, and likely will have a decision made in what they want to do.

Terassa

The advice I would give myself if I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior would be to not hold back. Use the oppertunity of going to college to reach out and grab hold of all different types of oppurtunites. There is so very much to be offered at college and you really have to step out and reach for it. I would tell myself also to not lose sight of who you are and embrass it fully. Once you step out of that high school and onto the college campus it doesn't matter any more what you did in high school, it matters who you are. People aren't going to say to you "Oh you were a homecoming queen." or "You had a great game last night" You will no longer be what you do, but you will have the chance to be truley who you want to be and grown in that. The last thing I would tell myself is college isn't as easy has high school, you gotta work kid.

I wish I had known all the oppertunites that Centralia College offered. Now that I am at Centralia College and am able to see all the oppurtunites that it offers for its students I wisht that I would have taken more advatage of it when I first started coming to the school.

Centralia College is really great, but the worst thing about it is the fact that because it is a commuter school it is hard to get students involved and active in campus activities.

Christina

The classmates are diverse....they are old, young, male, female, dark skinned, light-skinned, accented, colorful......some are eager, yet some are apathic, which unforunately comes with a public community college as well.

I would have to talk to myself in 10th Grade. I would say, Oh honey, don't give up now. Let me tell you what I've seen, it gets so much better, so different. See all these cliques now? They won't be around soon. See all your peers that just don't care? I know its frustrating now, but soon you'll find so many people who care as much as you do about grades, people who actually achieve grades as high as you do, you'll find study partners, you'll find people as eager as you are! Start planning now, because its not up to anyone but you. No one but you to decide your classes, no one but you to make your advising appts., no one but you to fill out the financial aid paperwork. Oh....and that orientation class? Take it! It will take you around campus, meet the important people and depts. at the school, and give you the chance to have any question answered you may have. Start soon, use the people you know there already, be pro-active, and ALWAYS trust yourself that you deserve this and you can do this.

Yikes! No one. This school accompanies ANYONE....it has a vast diversity....international students from around the world, and in my own classes so far I've met 16 year olds in Running Start, and 60+ year old men trying to get back into business for themselves. They even cater to Spanish only speaking people, holding orientations to help usher them into english classes and the workforce. All at this tiny, but well respected Community College in Centralia, WA. I would shudder at the thought of ANY public school not accompaning all types of people.

Savannah

Money, paperwork, and planning. What does this have to do with the college life? You hear adults talk about it, but I'll tell you, or, I guess me why it's so important. Money, money money. Save all the money you can! Tuition is a big blow to your bank account, so make sure to hold back on spending, because every little bit counts and can add up to a lot. Pick up the extra hours at work, and monitor spending habits to keep yourself on track. Eat at home while you can so that you don't spend so much on fast food. And try for scholarships! Along the lines of scholarships, apply for all of them that you can. Get them done early in case something additional is needed, and keep all important papers organized. Turn all of your applications as early as possible. Keeping yourself organized will help, like making a folder for all of your college related paperwork. Plan out your trips to the library or whatever else needs to be planned, like living and transportation. All in all, just keep your head clear and don't get overwhelmed.

Pat

The college is continuly updating the facilities and curriculum to assist all students in becoming marketable for the work force. The new addition is online classes which makes the task of working full-time and school easier. Diversity is a big plus at Centralia College. They share and promote intercultural curriculum and actiivites preparing the student for globalization. An additional uniquness about the college that I am attending is the location and cost. In today's world that is important.

Ok, now let's think about this. What do I want to do with my life and what opportunties does the world offer? Too many people are trying to direct my future, but it is my future. I should really go to a two-year colllege to experience some of the opportunites. I could work nationally or internationally. What would fulfill my desires, to be creative, heal people, find a cure for a debillitating disease, build bridges, help third world countries be self sustaining? You know if I received an higher education I would be self sufficient instead of relying on people, in addition to helping people better themselves. I would be making a difference in the world, depending on my choice, and not be a burden on the government and the people. That is what I am going to do, go for the diploma and not the direction of the pessimists.

The only thing that I can think of is that some of the classes are not available when you need them. When you have a deadline to meet in order to transfer to a four-year college having certain classes is vital.

Brianna

I would say, "Brianna, take this seriously." I didn't understand that by taking an advanced placement world history class my sophmore year, I could have been receiving credits that I am now paying to get. I knew such advantages were available. However I didn't quite understand that the choice to really pay attention and complete all my homework and reading could have changed my credit needs and class schedule as a freshman in college. This actually goes for all advanced placement classes I took. I would talk some sense into the social and theatre obsessed me. Not that having a social life or being fully dedicated something like theatre isn't important or worth it, I would just stress the need for a balance. The importance of a balanced schedule and the overall benifits of keeping a high GPA and taking pride in the classes I was taking, along with the information and oppurtunity I was being given would be at the top of my 'me' advice session. Mostly because the decisions I was making then, when it involved studying and being responsible for my own learning, are still affecting me and my education today.

I wish I could have taken advantage of the oppurtunities I had in high school to recieve college credits in my advanced placement classes. As well as attempting to improve and practice efficent study and organizational habits. These two things would have provided me with free credits that I am now paying for just review information I already know to recieve the credit at the end of the quarter and the study and organization habits would have really reduced the shock I felt when I got into a fast paced college classroom.

The most frustrating thing about Centralia College results from my lack of dedication in high school. As a freshman in college I am taking classes in english and history, that cover the same information I learned in my sophmore and junior year of high school. The reason I have to retake the courses is because I opted not to take the AP exams at the end of the year for those courses. I didn't realize how frustrating it would be to retake them to recieve the credits that I could ahve already had.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a High School Senior, I would tell myself to not be nervous, to be less shy, and get involved in more community activity. I would tell myself not to be nervous, because college is amazing. There are amazing people, amazing teachers, and beautiful campuses. Don't be shy, because people are a lot more excepting in college than they are in high school. I would tell myself to get involved in more community activity, because it looks good on you're applications. Most important, i'd tell myself to enjoy what I have at the moment, because if I think High School is difficult, I have no idea how easy I have it. So breathe, work hard, & enjoy what is suppose to be the best year of my life so far, because soon life is going to be busy, busy, busy.

I really can't think of anything bad/ worst about my school. I love it, and believe it is an amazing school. If I had to choose the worst thing, it'd be 10:00 am classes because finding parking is impossible at that time.

The most frusrating thing about my school is the heating system. It's never just right inside. It's either to warm or to cold. There needs to be an adjustment with it.

I would advise myself to not be afraid to take chances and study harder. That what I initially wanted to do with my life is actually what I should have aimed for in the first place. I would tell myself that not everyone is going to go and talk behind your back and if they do so what? I know whats true and thats all that matters, if they are a real friend then they would know to come and talk to me about it.

The best part about my school is the layout. Everything is in walking distance and esy to get too. Also the entire staff is very nice and helpful; if you have a question they can't answer, they will direct you to someone who can. The overall mood of the whole place is nice, its like you have joined a family thats glad to help you and point you in the right direction. So I guess there are alot of things great out my school.

The type of person who should attend this school is someone who really wants to further themselves not only for educational purposes but as a person as well. The classes here make it so you really have to think but not be afraid to ask questions to get there. It should be anyone seeking a better mind for a better future.

Centralia College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.