Grayslake, IL
College of Lake County

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend College of Lake County

Kristina

If I could go back in time to talk to myself about college life and making the transition, I would tell myself to focus a little more on the choises I had to make within the next few months. College life can be difficult, but it does not have to be. Yes some of the classes in college are more challenging, but you are growing up and you need to take more responsibilities for all of your actions. College life can be the exact same as high school life if you want it to be. I just takes working on your classes maybe fifteen minutes to an hour or so longer. Pay as much attention to your school work and ask as many questions as possible. The transition is not that difficult either; all it takes is going to the college a few days before your classes start. Walk around with your class schedule and find where all of your classes are located. Make sure you purchase all of your required books and supplies so you are prepared for your first day. I made friends on my first day so do not worry about that! College can be easy!!

There is no person that should not attend school. Each and every person should choose whether or not school is the path for them. Yes people tend to make more money in their lifetime if they attend school, but if a person feels school is just not for them, then they should not be pressured into doing something they do not want to do. Everyone should get the chance to do what they love, whether or not they go to school. School is for everyone, deciding what to do for the rest of your life is the hard part!

When I am talking to my friends about my school, I tell them that College of Lake County has wonderful teachers. I tell them this because every instructor I have had at CLC has wanted to help me on a one- on- one basis. The instructors know how to reach each student with any of their problems or concerns they have. When you are in an instructor's class, you get to know your instructor in a personal, professional way. College of Lake County does not only have wonderful instructors, but they are a wonderful school for everyone!

Cynthia

As a senior, the year is filled with many occasions that will mark the end or the beginning of your future. It's so easy to slack off at the end because you feel like you need a break because you've worked hard for the first three years. But finishing strong is the best thing you could do! Just going through the motions of school and doing the minimum to get by is not enough. In college, your professor is not going to be holding your hand telling you to start focusing and get back on track with your school work. If you practice that now, it will become part of your character to finish something to the best of your ability. Staying focused on what is important is key to because there are going to be a lot of distractions that are more fun than studying of writing a paper. Just do what you need to do first and the have fun later. It really pays off to be prepared for a test than just studying the night before. Work hard for what you what because what you want is not that far ahead.

The College of Lake County is so diverse in age and ethnicities. It's so awsome to have different clubs that are for different cultures such as the Latino Alliance and Asian Student Alliance to different intrests like art and language. The school really supports and embraces its different students and the needs of the studetns. In one way or anther, we all learn from eachother. They hold events that teach the community about the different clubs whis is really sharing about the different people.

A person who has a bad work ethic should not attend this school. All the responsibility of your work and grades is on you going into any college or university. The teachers are going to care if you succeed in their class, but it all falls on you to take the initiative to get help if you don't understand the material. Having a good work ethi means just that, and mastering time management. Taking the time given to you to do the best work you are able to is key to having success.

Tiffany

I would tell my self to be prepared to get involved. Just because you work doesn't mean you don't have time for school activities. I would also say, read ALL of the assigned readings not just the chapter summaries, and also take really good notes. Also, don't be afraid to ask the professors for help, often times they are more than willing to help you.

Some people choose not to take the classes seriously just because CLC is a community college.

Zane

My classmates are people who don't have enough money to afford to go to a big college, so they are starting off at a community college.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior about college the first thing I would tell myself is don't think college is going to be like high school. I made it through high school without studying a lot, I tried that I college and I realized that I would need to work a lot harder than I did in high school. I would also tell myself that I would have to prepare myself to use a ton of will power to be able to study and do the homework and listen durning class.

The worst part of my school is its location. I don't believe that it is really in a central location.

It is a community college, so it has course schedules that do not impinge on my word schedule or my study time. It is expectionary cheap in comparison to four-year schools, meaning that I save thousands of dollars. And it has Associates Degree programs and counselors to help aid students with transferring to a four-year school, which for me would be either Taylor University in Upland, Indiana or Trinity International University in Deerfield, IL.

Make sure you schedule your time wisely. Sometimes a project takes up more of your time than you originally think. Take all Placement and Proficiency tests before you start your very first semester; otherwise, you may need to take another semester and end up graduating late. Teachers are here to help, do not feel like you're an idiot for needing and asking for help. It is way better to ask a teacher for help than get a poor grade on a test. And who knows, you might get enough advice to raise your overall grade from a C to an A. Stress can overwhelm you, know what helps you destress and use these tools often. Studying is very important, but do not forget that balance is crucial. Homework has the potential to take over your life; don't let it control you. Having fun with friends once in a while is important. And on the subject of friends, do not be a recluse. You need to make an effort if you want friends at school. A simple smile and saying "hi" can go a long way. And ask students for their opinions on classes and teachers.

I wish I had taken the Math Proficiency test before my first semester rather than waiting until second semester freshman year. I wish I had asked more students about what classes to take or not take, or which teachers were good. I wish that I had known that the professors are here to help you when you're struggling. And I wish I had known that the College of Lake County is a commuter school; therefore, you need to make an auxiliary effort to make friends and acquaintances.

James

The College of Lake County is an excellent school that allows either students right out of high school to springboard into the college scene without as much financial risk, and is a great way for someone trying to return to college.

College of Lake County is an affordable college that I can pay for myself without taking on student loans.

I would tell myself to not spend so much money on stuff and save for a better computer, first and foremost. Secondly, I would tell myself to go take a class on how to study and prepare for college level courses at CLC in addition to working for the year I took off from college.

Kathryn

If I could talk to myself as a high-school senior, I would tell myself you'd switch majors after a horrible incident at one college. I'd also tell myself it's hard to follow your dreams knowing that no one will help fund for the school you want to go to. I'd also tell myself that college is a lot better than high school in some ways like choosing my own schedule and freer communication with your teachers, but a lot worse in others like trying to make friends. I'd tell myself that even though I have what others consider "disabilities," that I shouldn't be treated differently than everyone else because of them. I should be given the same oppotunities as everyone else and I need to fight for those oppotunities.

The cost of college textbooks. In terms of community colleges, I wish I had known that it was a larger school compared to the university that I want to transfer to. I also wish that I knew where all the rooms were ahead of time so I wouldn't have gotten lost on the first day of school. I also wish I had known it was a two-year community college, not a four-year community college.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that there are few French classes. The next highest class I can take is French Civilization because I took three years of French in high school. This meant when I went to take French in college, I was all ready in the highest "traditional" French class--Intermediate French II. That class was one semester and French Civilization interferes with another class so I can't take it! It's really frustrating as I love the language!

David

I would've cautioned myself to save at least $10,000 in emergency money and save enough to afford health insurance. However, it is quite possible that by working to save money, I would likely have been stuck in a condition of poverty and therefore not have ever afforded to go to school. I've had to pay a $12,000 hospital bill out of pocket and have paid for much of my tution/rent/food that loans and financial aid didn't cover. My experience has taught me how financially dangerous it is to be lower to lower-middle class and illustrates how hard it is to gain upward mobility through the stratisfication and education. It illustrates the need for social change with respect to healthcare as a fundemental human right and with respect to education as a fundemental necessity in overcomming class barriers.

Every type of person should attend this school if they have a desire to learn. It is particularly beneficial for the financially needed to attend a community college.

People who don't want to learn shouldn't attend this school.

LaQuita

Performing arts programs and student clubs.

Performing arts programs and student clubs.

Take atleast a year off to save up money for tuition and supplies unless you can accomplish obtaining a scholarship. When you do start school make sure you keep up with all your work on time and go to all of your classes. If you don't understand something make absolutely sure to ask questions for clarity on whatever is going on.

The payment plan. If you aren't financially ready for school the payment plan feels like a kick to the stomach especially since it will leave you without alot of money to buy your supplies that are necessary unless you are lucky enough to already have what you need or can come across another who has everything you need of which they are probably ready to have you take it off they're hands.

Anna

I think the community college is more personalized than a big university. It is easier to get to know fellow classmates. Of course, not everyone gets along, but I like the fact that it is easy to learn about each other. There is a huge variety of students, from young to old and all different decents. For the most part, the majority of students I have met are easy-going people looking to further their education.

The first thing I would tell myself is, no matter how bad things get, keep going! I would remind myself to work hard and do the best I can. Even though I attend a community college, I need to have my grades as high as possible. And although it is hard for a senior to stay completely focused on school, I would remind myself that it will really pay off in the end. Education is key to a future. I would make sure that I sit down with a counselor and really try to understand all of the opportunities that are out there. Listen to any advice that the counselor can offer and never undermine myself. Basically, the times when I really felt hopeless, I would try and encourage myself that it is worth all the trouble, and will pay off in the end. And to never forget that you can do anything you put your mind to!

I don't think I could say there is a certain type of person that should not attend this school, or any school for that matter. Everyone should have an opportunity to acheive the education level they desire if they are persistent enough. If someone works hard, who am I to say they do not belong at my school?

College of Lake County administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.