Grayslake, IL
College of Lake County

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend College of Lake County

Tiffany

I would tell my self to be prepared to get involved. Just because you work doesn't mean you don't have time for school activities. I would also say, read ALL of the assigned readings not just the chapter summaries, and also take really good notes. Also, don't be afraid to ask the professors for help, often times they are more than willing to help you.

Some people choose not to take the classes seriously just because CLC is a community college.

Zane

My classmates are people who don't have enough money to afford to go to a big college, so they are starting off at a community college.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior about college the first thing I would tell myself is don't think college is going to be like high school. I made it through high school without studying a lot, I tried that I college and I realized that I would need to work a lot harder than I did in high school. I would also tell myself that I would have to prepare myself to use a ton of will power to be able to study and do the homework and listen durning class.

The worst part of my school is its location. I don't believe that it is really in a central location.

It is a community college, so it has course schedules that do not impinge on my word schedule or my study time. It is expectionary cheap in comparison to four-year schools, meaning that I save thousands of dollars. And it has Associates Degree programs and counselors to help aid students with transferring to a four-year school, which for me would be either Taylor University in Upland, Indiana or Trinity International University in Deerfield, IL.

Make sure you schedule your time wisely. Sometimes a project takes up more of your time than you originally think. Take all Placement and Proficiency tests before you start your very first semester; otherwise, you may need to take another semester and end up graduating late. Teachers are here to help, do not feel like you're an idiot for needing and asking for help. It is way better to ask a teacher for help than get a poor grade on a test. And who knows, you might get enough advice to raise your overall grade from a C to an A. Stress can overwhelm you, know what helps you destress and use these tools often. Studying is very important, but do not forget that balance is crucial. Homework has the potential to take over your life; don't let it control you. Having fun with friends once in a while is important. And on the subject of friends, do not be a recluse. You need to make an effort if you want friends at school. A simple smile and saying "hi" can go a long way. And ask students for their opinions on classes and teachers.

I wish I had taken the Math Proficiency test before my first semester rather than waiting until second semester freshman year. I wish I had asked more students about what classes to take or not take, or which teachers were good. I wish that I had known that the professors are here to help you when you're struggling. And I wish I had known that the College of Lake County is a commuter school; therefore, you need to make an auxiliary effort to make friends and acquaintances.

James

The College of Lake County is an excellent school that allows either students right out of high school to springboard into the college scene without as much financial risk, and is a great way for someone trying to return to college.

College of Lake County is an affordable college that I can pay for myself without taking on student loans.

I would tell myself to not spend so much money on stuff and save for a better computer, first and foremost. Secondly, I would tell myself to go take a class on how to study and prepare for college level courses at CLC in addition to working for the year I took off from college.

Kathryn

If I could talk to myself as a high-school senior, I would tell myself you'd switch majors after a horrible incident at one college. I'd also tell myself it's hard to follow your dreams knowing that no one will help fund for the school you want to go to. I'd also tell myself that college is a lot better than high school in some ways like choosing my own schedule and freer communication with your teachers, but a lot worse in others like trying to make friends. I'd tell myself that even though I have what others consider "disabilities," that I shouldn't be treated differently than everyone else because of them. I should be given the same oppotunities as everyone else and I need to fight for those oppotunities.

The cost of college textbooks. In terms of community colleges, I wish I had known that it was a larger school compared to the university that I want to transfer to. I also wish that I knew where all the rooms were ahead of time so I wouldn't have gotten lost on the first day of school. I also wish I had known it was a two-year community college, not a four-year community college.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that there are few French classes. The next highest class I can take is French Civilization because I took three years of French in high school. This meant when I went to take French in college, I was all ready in the highest "traditional" French class--Intermediate French II. That class was one semester and French Civilization interferes with another class so I can't take it! It's really frustrating as I love the language!

David

I would've cautioned myself to save at least $10,000 in emergency money and save enough to afford health insurance. However, it is quite possible that by working to save money, I would likely have been stuck in a condition of poverty and therefore not have ever afforded to go to school. I've had to pay a $12,000 hospital bill out of pocket and have paid for much of my tution/rent/food that loans and financial aid didn't cover. My experience has taught me how financially dangerous it is to be lower to lower-middle class and illustrates how hard it is to gain upward mobility through the stratisfication and education. It illustrates the need for social change with respect to healthcare as a fundemental human right and with respect to education as a fundemental necessity in overcomming class barriers.

Every type of person should attend this school if they have a desire to learn. It is particularly beneficial for the financially needed to attend a community college.

People who don't want to learn shouldn't attend this school.

LaQuita

Performing arts programs and student clubs.

Performing arts programs and student clubs.

Take atleast a year off to save up money for tuition and supplies unless you can accomplish obtaining a scholarship. When you do start school make sure you keep up with all your work on time and go to all of your classes. If you don't understand something make absolutely sure to ask questions for clarity on whatever is going on.

The payment plan. If you aren't financially ready for school the payment plan feels like a kick to the stomach especially since it will leave you without alot of money to buy your supplies that are necessary unless you are lucky enough to already have what you need or can come across another who has everything you need of which they are probably ready to have you take it off they're hands.

Anna

I think the community college is more personalized than a big university. It is easier to get to know fellow classmates. Of course, not everyone gets along, but I like the fact that it is easy to learn about each other. There is a huge variety of students, from young to old and all different decents. For the most part, the majority of students I have met are easy-going people looking to further their education.

The first thing I would tell myself is, no matter how bad things get, keep going! I would remind myself to work hard and do the best I can. Even though I attend a community college, I need to have my grades as high as possible. And although it is hard for a senior to stay completely focused on school, I would remind myself that it will really pay off in the end. Education is key to a future. I would make sure that I sit down with a counselor and really try to understand all of the opportunities that are out there. Listen to any advice that the counselor can offer and never undermine myself. Basically, the times when I really felt hopeless, I would try and encourage myself that it is worth all the trouble, and will pay off in the end. And to never forget that you can do anything you put your mind to!

I don't think I could say there is a certain type of person that should not attend this school, or any school for that matter. Everyone should have an opportunity to acheive the education level they desire if they are persistent enough. If someone works hard, who am I to say they do not belong at my school?

Arielle

As a senior, I was enrolled in an independent study program which allowed me to have tons of free time even with the college courses I used to take. I received over $900 a month from social security due to my mother's death, had my own car, partied, had so much freedom - I felt I was living the life. But at the time, never realized that college was going to have such a huge impact of my life. Now that I have graduated, I don't receive my benefits anymore. My life is 10 times harder financially and the stress is taking a toll on my body. Besides the money I used for bills, I now regret blowing hundreds of dollars every month just to have fun - I wasn't thinking ahead. I didn't realize how much money, time, and dedication it was going to take to pursue my dream career. I would give advice to my senior self to start thinking of my future and to think ahead. To prepare myself for the commute, finances, work, stress, and dedication into pursuing my future career. Basically, that I'm going to struggle but make the best of it.

There is a wide range of classmates at CLC. Some are just there to go to school, some are they and do not even try or engage in class because their parents are paying, and others like me are struggling to afford school yet love being there and put fourth great effort to get good grades and engage in the class discussions.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have great advice to give myself. I would be sure to mention how important it is to get good grades in high school. With good grades and ambition you can get anywhere and maybe even earn scholarships to help pay for school. I would also make sure to add, there are millions of classes offered to students. This is extremely important in helping any student discover what is interesting and maybe even direct them to a career path. Last, I would explain the importance of getting good grades in college. Participation and effort will take one far. Hard work really does pay off and in the mean time it is a great feeling of achievement.

I believe the best thing about The College of Lake County is the quality of education you one can recieve while saving money. A wide variety of classes are offered which is essential for students to discover what they are interested in, with out wasting money or time.

College of Lake County administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.