College of Lake County Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for College of Lake County

Sirrenda

The college of lake county is a great college. The professors so far are very nice and very relatable. They are there for you when you need them and if you message them or call them after their office hours, they will get back to you right away. There are a lot of clubs and there is always going to be someone who thinks the same way that you do. They have jobs in the campus that are available for students in need and they are understanding of any obstacles that may be going on

The college is nice when it comes to getting general education credits out of the way. It is close to home so students save money by avoiding housing and the school is surrounded by food places and other small businesses where students can hang out and spend their time after class. Some professors actually care about their students well-being; I had a professor who checked in on the students mental health every other week and would accommodate homework loads depending on the stress levels of her students. Some professors it is easy to see that they do not care and only want to get paid; they do not care if their students do well as long as they just get through another class/another day. The students are divided into multiple "classes". You have students who are heavily involved and walk around with their noses up in the air and think the world revolves around them. There are students who only show up for their class, do not socialize or interact, and then leave as soon as they can. There are students who actually enjoy their social lives at school and who do exceptionally well in class, they usually are very disciplined, motivated, and sometimes their hard work will rub off on other students. But, for the majority of those who attend the College of Lake County, they are miserable, depressed, lonely, and tired of doing the same routine every day. Of course there are a wide variety of services (but those services seem to only honor the LGBTQ+ community and minority groups). Anyone else who does not identify in those types of groups, they get moved aside and are expected to do their best with a smile without hesitation. All in all, I do think the College of Lake County is a good community college where adults can achieve the next steps in the educational career, but I definitely think there can be room for improvement with regards to faculty, inclusiveness, expectations of students during hard/trying times, and funding that can be redirected to other necessities, such as a better weight room rather than nicer vending machines.

Aseyah

I think CLC is really great community college to start at and transfer to a 4 year. You can get all your general education done quickly and easily and there’s always someone there to help you when your in need of it. I’m truly happy that I enrolled to classes here after high school.

Jacqueline

I am currently a part time student at this college and I must say, I've never been happier with such a diverse school filled with so much opportunity. The counselors and professors are always pushing their students succeed and prepared for the real world. I don't really need to point out the cons, the school is still improving in all areas, which I cannot wait until the school has finished its science wing! I am very grateful for this school.

It's a good school if you want to save money and get an associates degree. I wish there were more opportunities for Bachelors degrees. The school recently updated the cafeteria and the food and diversity of options is much better than before. They're constructing a new science building (which I heard will house a cadaver lab for Bio majors). The professors and generally pretty nice but you will have the few professors that seem to find joy in watching their students struggle. There's no on campus housing since it's a community college but there are a few condos in the area. Overall okay college.

Angela

The campus is beautiful the teachers are dedicated and the people are amazing. I didn't really want to rush into school right away after high school but I went and haven;t regretted it one bit. I met my best friend for life here. I renewed my passion for my craft here and I've never been so inspired to be who I truly want to be. Going here has been an amazing life changing experience and the day I graduate will be a bittersweet one because my heart found itself at this college.

Sam

The College of Lake County (CLC) is an excellent starting point for someone looking to pursue a higher education without the expensive price tag of four year institutions. CLC has some of the best teachers that are all passionate about what they teach. Also, they are exclusively teachers, with no obligation to produce original research, and work at CLC because they want to teach. This is a commuter school so on campus housing is not applicable and off campus housing varies wildly. It has many financial aid opportunities available as well as a very helpful counseling center. I have loved my experience at the College of Lake County and would recommend it highly.

Dariana

I love it here, the campus is very nice and the student atmosphere is very welcoming. There are many clubs, sports, and activities students can join, it's just a matter of wanting to. The professors are also very caring and love what they do. I haven't had one professor who isn't open to helping after hours and email relatively quickly. Also with being a community college,​ there are a vast amount of resources and technologies for students to use!

acquennetta

I will be the first to admit that I had no intentions of staying at my community college as long as I have. I will be graduating with my Associate of Arts at the end of May, but it has truly been a trying yet successful journey. When I first attended the college back in 2014, right after graduating from high school, my intention was to do my two years and leave. Most people at my high school growing up called the school “The College of Last Chance” instead of “The College of Lake County”. That says a lot more about the mindset of those that attend than the actual institution. Now I make that statement from a place of experience. When I first started taking classes I didn’t know anyone and I was failing all of my classes except one. Slowly but surely I forced myself to get involved because I knew that I need some form of social support. As an Afro-Latina I was happy to know that there was both a club called “Latino Alliance” and “Black Student Alliance”. Both communities embraced me and helped me to succeed in my academics the best they could. I ended up being involved in five more clubs aside from the other two. Despite the fact that I began passing my classes and getting more involved I chose not to get my degree at the time and to simply just transfer out because I believed I was prepared for the academic rigor at the university level. That decision caused my life to turn upside down. Soon after starting my semester in the spring of 2017 at a new school, I was diagnosed with sever Bipolar Disorder. I ended up in a psychiatric hospital for a week and decided to do a medical leave from my university immediately after being discharged. I felt like a failure, not only to those around me but most importantly to myself. I wasn’t able to see past my situation and mentally became paralyzed by shame and disappointment. Five months later I gathered the little courage I had left and walked back down the halls of College of Lake County. I was moved to tears the first day back at school, not because I was embarrassed of coming back into a school I so pridefully left; but for the simply fact that I was welcomed back to the school with open arms. By not only friends, but faculty and staff as well. The entire premise of this story telling is to let others know College of Lake County is more than a community college. It can become a home away from home, a safe haven and most importantly a place that can build you up, and if need be; rebuild you. Thank you College of Lake County, and thank you Unigo for allowing me the opportunity to review this school for a scholarship.

Brianna

There were many classes that I really wanted to take but could not take because there were no good teachers that teach the course. I did like that you could take classes on the weekends or nights if you had a day job, and there were facilities to watch your children, care of the teaching and social work students.

a

It has many resources, both economical and personal, that aid students to focus on our studies, all while giving to the community for a good environment. However, there is always room for improvement. It could be nice to see more contributions of our artistic students for flyers instead of having everything be digitalized. Or, allowing for the performance in arts students, nursing students, or educating majors to have the opportunity to have a time or place for a moment to practice their skills in the actual school with actual people in a real life setting to give experience.

Crystal

I love it. All the instructors are extremely helpful when you don't understand something. They will continue to work with you until you do. They are always available. The school is very clean. Everyone is extremely friendly. Just an awesome school. The tuition per credit hour is not expensive.

Kaya

I really enjoy the atmosphere of CLC. There are various nooks and within every nook you can find a student. Everyone seems to be very sociable and open so its easy to make friends and acquaintances. The teachers are very nice with few who are not, but they all are geared toward their students passing their classes. Overall CLC is a great college because it can get you to places you want to go.

Keilly

Facilities are great.There is a place to converse with other students and a place to study and focus on homework. Teachers are kind and most do their best to help students succeed. The staff is very kind and do their best to assist student in whatever they may need help in.

kyle

"College of last chances" This stereotype is how you make it. Although I have excelled in all of my classes, this stereotype lives on. Great place to improve grades, act as a stepping stone, or achieve an education for a good cost. Sometimes the environment is not supportive of and often does not push you to do better. The counselors are terrible so pick and find a counselor at a 4-year college asap!Try to surround yourself with supportive people that push for more then average grades.

I think it is a great school for anyone wanting to save money or get some extra credits. Not only is it affordable but they have a ton to offer like a variety of clubs and classes for example. Everyone is also very friendly and helpful to all, new or old.

The College of Lake County is an abysmal school. Many of the professors are not well versed, even in the courses they are supposed to teach. For example, in the lecture part of our class, we were taught a way to do different things and during clinicals, the other professor said that that way was outdated and needed to relearn. Other professors talk about politics constantly, even though it is a Chemistry class. Granted, some of the professors are amazing, but those are few and far between. The head of the political science department is extremely rude and arrogant to any student who disagrees with his views, which he talks about a lot. Overall, the school is a waste of money.

Christina

Overall College of Lake County is very inviting for all who study. The food is good, plenty places to study, and teachers are incredibly helpful. There is no housing as it is a Community College and not University, but the commute for most is not too bad and they environment is wonderful and welcoming.

Brian

The classes and class sizes are good. Maths and sciences classes are great. Humanities classes are very easy and seem somewhat uninformative. Academic advisers are either very helpful or not helpful at all. There is no on campus living because it is a community college.

Jasmine

I really enjoyed CLC and i recently received my associates in arts which is what i needed to transfer to UWM. Although i am transferring out i still intend on returning to the school for the summer because it is so affordable. All the professors i have had are excellent and have gone above and beyond to assure the students succeed.

Mya

While others tend to look down on CLC for being a community college, I actually really enjoy my time at CLC. The professors genuinely care about their students and the students tend to be very supportive of one another. The classroom sizes are capped at around 28 students per class which allows for a more sufficient learning experience.

Jacob

It is as great school to start out at, you get the basics and you get out. This applies to the school and activities. Its not the best it is very cheap. Some of the professors were amazing and some were terrible. Felt pretty out dated tech wise and was constantly being rebuild. Despite these points I would recommend everyone to it. Great to save money.

Victoria

CLC offers numerous higher level courses with a small classroom size for optimum learning. Downside is sometimes they do not offer enough sections and you have to wait until the following semester to enroll. The professors really care and want to see you succeed, offering additional office hours and even often ask to see what students have going on outside of class (work, family, athletics) to better understand where everyone is coming from. Wonderful experience for me, with faculty acting as mentors for my education.

Crystal

I love it. Wouldn't to go to any other colleges. The only time I wold go to another college is to go for my bachelor's degree. The teachers are awesome and always wanting to help the students succeed the highest they can. The teachers are always available. The class size is the perfect size not to over populated.

Cateria

The campus is amazing. The instructors are great and really know what they're doing. Many of worked in there respective fields for years before teaching and often attend seminars during breaks to stay relevant. They are more than willing to work with students and are highly invested. The only issue I had was with the financial aid office, which I found to be difficult to reach and hard to work with.

Joy

College of Lake County is a really good community college. It is very much a commuter school so there is not a strong campus community but the programs are excellent. There is also clear communication between administration and students regarding financial aid documents or other things of that nature. Excluding the one or two wonky professors the general faculty is excellent and they really know their subject matter. I have never really felt like I was getting a sub-par education except for once or twice. Generally speaking CLC is an excellent school to get your gen. eds. out of the way and have good financial aid while you're doing it!

William

It's good to meet people via clubs and there are a lot of intelligent professors to be found and students if you go out and talk to them. The facilities are good, there's free wifi and a computer lab, along with staff that'll help you out find a job or what school to transfer out too. There's on campus jobs and there's a decent amount of clubs to meet people.

Stefany

College of Lake county is a place to be and start. Class size is great. The teacher and everyone there want to see you succeed. The college has amazing resources. The teachers are always available to help you. The college has great opportunities to pursue your career.

Kseniya

Without a doubt the college of lake county has impacted my life and my education in a way that I had never expected. I went from an OK high school students to a brilliant college student. The faculty and staff on campus is extremely reliable and helpful In many aspects. I was nervous walking in to my first class of my freshman year not knowing what to expect, but now, I am a second-year students and I am familiar with the campus and many of the people there. My only regret is that I should have enrolled sooner !

It’s a great school for those you don’t have enough money to go to a big university yet or they want to take their general education classes for cheap. I love it there and everyone is friendly and helpful. We are very accepting of everyone at the school and as far as I am aware haven’t had a problem with discriminating.

Nicole Angelle

In high school, I was informed that College of Lake County was a great option to start out at. As a financially struggling student, I was initially drawn by the low cost. Now that I am a current student there, it is safe to say that the excellent academic material truly exceeds the tuition. The material is university-level, despite being from a community college. The professors here try to prepare you for the future and genuinely care about your wellbeing. Although it is academically invigorating, the school is quite small, as it is a community college. At times it felt like I was going to high school again, but that was what I expected going to a local school. However, the cost makes it worth it--I am saving thousands on dollars to receive a great education!

Samari

College of Lake County is a schoo that helps guide you into the right direction and helps prepare you for what you want to do after graduation. The professors are always there for help and has different ways to teach the students. College of Lake County has many programs that students can enjoy including a program that focus on students that want to transfer to a 4 year university

Katherine

CLC commonly stands for College of Lake County, but it can also stand for College of Last Choice, or College of Last Chance. It is a community college in Illinois about an hour north of Chicago. It is in a fairly populated area, with big attractions like Great America and Gurnee Mills to visit. It is by no means your classic university experience – there aren’t even any dorms to live in. But, it is cheaper than your average college, and getting your gen eds done then transferring – as many students commonly do – is a pretty good plan. Long story short; bland college experience, but cheaper so you can save money if you choose to transfer.

Le' Andres

I love the College of Lake County... I have been affiliated in some way or form with the College of Lake County more than 15 years Pros - Innovative model with tutorial support for students - Differentiated approach to education - Commitment to mission - Leaders are kid-focused - College placement and support for grads - Development for tutors and teachers Cons Need to: - Streamline curriculum - Find alternative routes for success for students who may not pursue traditional 4 year college Advice to Management - Utilize surveys and feedback from staff to continue improving

Christian

Great student advisors, programs, financial advisors and counselors. Th environment is filled with positivity and eagerness to learn. I have never felt in danger on the campus and the facilities are all well kept and fairly new. I would highly recommend coming to Lake County college as an affordable pathway to a university or the work force.

rubi

I enjoyed my time at the College of Lake County, it carries a number of outstanding teachers. The teachers that I have met during my time here have truly left an impact with their dedication and their effort to assure each student succeeds. I am sad that my time has ended here because they truly offer tremendous services to the students. The college offers a safe and friendly environment.