McKinney, TX
Collin County Community College District

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Collin County Community College District

I have only attended one semester at this school so far but I have already met a lot of really interesting people. People from all over the country majoring in all kinds of fields. My favorite part of meeting all these different people is getting to learn what motivated them to choose the major that they decided upon.

If I could go back and talk to myself from high school I would tell myself to start getting into better study habits now rather than trying to devlop them later on. I would also tell myself to not be so worried about starting college because while it is very different from high school it's not a bad or scary thing it's actually way better than high school. It's a place full of amazing people and professors and you learn so much so quickly and it's wonderful and you have no reason to be scared and to make sure to enjoy your time instead of worrying so much about your future. I'm sure as I attend college more than just ine semester I would be able to add so many things to what I'd say to my high school self but right now those are the most important things I can think of.

I wish I had a better understanding in high school of how AP classes worked so that I could have taken those only in high school instead of in both high school and college. I also wish I would have had a better understanding of options for getting textbooks at a better price but still good quality.

Adelaide

"Hey Addie, what's up?" "Woah, are you me?" "Yeah, from the future. I'm supposed to give you advice on college." "We're in college?" "Didn't think we'd make it huh?" "Honestly, after we went to the hospital I didn't think we'd graduate high school." "Yeah, well we made it through that, albeit after a few weeks of goofing off and one tattoo later. Anyways about that advice..." "Where'd we get into?" "Community College, we took a break after the hospital thing. We needed it." "Are you kidding me? That's so embarassing. God I feel like such a loser." "That's the first thing you need to stop doing. Stop beating yourself up. That's what got us in the hospital in the first place, remember? College can be difficult, but it's much easier if you take care of yourself mentally. There are lots of people who care, and colleges even have resources for students struggling with depression. Take advantage of that. A positive mind is the first step in setting yourself up for success, and in college people understand that." "I guess that makes sense." "Anything else?" "Did the tattoo hurt?"

Your success ultimately depends on you, but it can be made easier or harder depending on what faculty members you're interacting with.

I wish I'd known how to teach myself more. Some professors are always available for tutoring, some are never available. Some professors clearly outline their expectations and what you need to learn, others are vague. Some professors are lenient, others are very strict. Interestingly enough the ones that fall into at least one of the latter categories fall into the latter categories of the rest. It can be difficult but if you look for teachers that are more available then you can at least get enought of an idea of the course to pass.

Catherine

Dear High School Self as a Senior, Work your butt off. I know senior year will be somewhat uneventful due to completing most of your schooling already, but invest in what you want for the future. Take a look at some more foreign languages, you will thank yourself. Also, study math more. You will need it to complete your degree and do not let anyone tell you that you are stupid because you have trouble understanding it. You are a smart, strong young adult. And you have the whole world waiting for you once you start college. You will take off a semester before you start. That was probably the best thing you could have done. And take a job and work during that period. It will foster your fire to learn, showing you that you do not just want to be stuck filing papers all day. Be something, help people, and take time for yourself: these are some of the most important things you can do when you transition. Sincerely, Catherine (Age 21, Sophomore)

We are best known for our fabulous academic programs and academic excellence. We have many students that transfer to top universities such as Yale and Cornell. Our nursing program is one of the top in the country and we cater to every single kind of student. We even have a center where professors come and teach from 4 year univerities so people with jobs currently do not have to go far to obtain a 4 year degree.

When considering the worst thing about my school, my mind drifts to academic advising. We are not assigned advisors at our school, and the ones that are available do not know what they are doing if you are applying to transfer anywhere outside of the state. They just are unknowledgeable on most things pertaining to advising. The school is currently working to improve this, but it is unfortunate for current students.

Noaf

Collin College is practical because the classes you take here are cheaper than the same classes you would take at a universit...

Collin College is practical because the classes you take here are cheaper than the same classes you would take at a university.

Granted that I was in such a huge high school with a class of 1300 people and so much competition, I would have not tried as hard as I did in high school if I would have known I was going to end up in Collin College for two years afterwards anyway. I could've had more fun in high school and not wasted my time busting my butt to be in the top 35% which most schools don't give scholarships for. I also would have taken more duel credit courses in high school so I wouldn't have to take them in college later.

A person who does not have financial trouble and wants a full four years of a real college experience should not attend this school.

Adelaide

To be honest out of all of my four classes I only talk to about three students from my class about that class.

I would say to dream bigger at an earlier age. Start planning college earlier and not setting for just anything that is thrown at me.

Anyone that wants to get their basics done and save money to go to their dream school.

mariela

Collin County is best known for their nursing program, it is also the only public college in the county, the college offers more than 100 degrees and certificates in a wide range of disciplines. Collin College has expanded to serve about 53,000 credit and continuing education students each year.

If I could go back in time to when I was a senior I would tell my self to work harder that college is not the easiest thing in the world. I would not only push my self on grades but I would also push my self to join more groups and clubs to interact more with others. Although I say I would push my self to work hard but I would also tell myself to have fun because as soon as you step into your first classroom its like your proffesers never want you to have fun. Also another very important thing that has really hit me since I started college is that when my sister told me that she wished she could go back to high school she was'nt kidding. I would die if I could go back in time and slap my self everytime I said "I can't wait to graduate". Although going to a communtiy college may be diffrent then a university their has still been a change where I wish I could go back to being a high school senior and freeze time.

Collin has'nt really been at the top of my list meaning I would love to transfer to a University, so there really is'nt anything in specific that I havent really known about this College, it has been a come as I go experience.

Britney

Collin is where you need to be going you are going to make some of the best friends you have ever had. You are saving money but still getting a quality education and you will get automatic admissions to some univesities after you have so many credit hours. Collin is the place that you need to go.

Dont come into the school thinking that you will be in and out. Take the time to make friends from the start by talking to people. Talking to people and joining clubs helps you to make friends and make your college experice more than just class and studying.

It is a community college so everyone is welcome I do not think anyone should not attend this school

Cody

Collin College is an inexpensive way to knock out basic classes.

Collin College is an inexpensive way to knock out basic classes.

Back in highschool make the years count and don't slack on grades, submit things early and try harder then everyone else. The year will go by fast even though grades are very important stop and enjoy everyone and everything. Now as I watch people go off to college I realize that more then half of my class I will never see again and it makes you sad. Everyone goes on there own paths and you wonder if you will ever run into there path again. It gets heart wreching when your bestfriend of 10 years leaves you, not behind but lets you go on your own. The best advice that I can truly give you is work hard but play even harder.

A highschool student who wants to attend a large school.

Barbara

Most of my classmates were roughly around my age and were really nice.

Most of my classmates were roughly around my age and were really nice.

Dear Barbara, I am so proud of you for graduating high school and all the hard work you put into passing your classes. I want to let you know that you are smart enough to go to university however continuing your education at a local community college is a smart understandable decision. One thing you shouldn’t be ashamed of is your good grades. You studied so hard for them and deserve them, forget about others using you for your academic achievements, you’ll make real friends in college. Speaking of college here is a little advice; first do your research before registering for classes. You’ll want to take a look at Ratemyprofessor.com and also ask around campus for opinions on certain professors; it will help in avoiding disorganized and poor quality instructors. Next you should spend some time looking for used or rentable books online and at bookstores, use the campus bookstore as a last resort. When faced with a challenge ask for help from your professors. Your professors are there to help you all you have to do is speak up, don’t be afraid. Good luck! Sincerely, You - a 2014 Collin College Graduate

Most of the professors at Collin were very helpful and highly encouraged everyone to visit their offices if any problems occurred with homework or lectures. They also encouraged us to seek outside help if they were not available such as tutoring services, writing centers, and math labs. The helpful and caring staff and faculty at Collin was the best because they were always there when needed and were always glad to help.

Devona

My classmate are very diverse and different from one another.

My classmate are very diverse and different from one another.

Looking back at my senior year in high school there are many things I wish I could have done differently. My advice that I would give myself would be to have applied for every scholarship possible. Coming from a mid-classed family it was very difficult to find anything to apply for because my parents income was considered "too much". I was turned down by all federal grants which in result discouraged me from even trying to apply for scholarships. I wish I would have had more faith and didn't give up so easily because even if I would have recieved 1 scholarship for any amount, it would be helping me reach my educational goals with a little more ease of not having to worry about how I am going to pay for college.

I wish I would have known more about the degree plan I am on. They did not tell me information in detail which is very frustrating.

Collin County Community College District administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.