Cambridge, MA
Harvard University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Harvard University

Having just finished my first semester at Harvard, I can say with great certainty that the highlight of my undergraduate career so far has been the people I have had to opportunity to meet; starting from meeting my roommates on the first day to debating classmates over the rights of the First Amendment, I have enjoyed every moment of my time with them and can say that I have found friends that will last a lifetime.

In addition to the uniquely motivated friends that I have met at Harvard, I have found that the level of support from my friends, staff, and professors have truly made my experience one to remember. Whether it was struggling with tough problem sets or even just looking for someone to have lunch with, my peers have found time to not only look out for one another, but also develop lifelong friendships.

Krishnan

I don't think there is any kind of person that should not attend Harvard. Based on my experiences at the school, there are fields of study and student groups for virtually every type of student. Regardless of one's intended course of study, hobbies, or preferred types of social outings, there are plenty of students with similar interests that will make one's time at Harvard unforgettable and enjoyable.

The best advice I would give to my high school self would be to never be afraid to ask for help. In high school, I prided myself on being independent, tackling every challenge I faced alone. Upon encountering new and more complex challenges in college, however, what I had formerly believed to be a strength quickly turned into my Achilles’ heel. Tasks that I handled deftly before, such as completing problem sets and juggling extracurricular activities, became much more formidable. I soon found myself barely being able to complete these tasks, struggling to maintain the level of competence that I had displayed in the past. However, I viewed asking others for assistance as a sign of weakness, believing that it was a concession that I could not handle my own problems. As a result, I struggled through freshman year. From sophomore year onward, I learned that asking for help was not only necessary, but also created a productive, collaborative environment in which everyone prospered. While I learned my lesson later in college, my largest regret has been that I did not learn this earlier, and I would highly encourage my high school self to get assistance from others whenever necessary.

Ruby

Dear Ruby, I know that senior year is pretty rough, but better times are ahead. Try to focus a little bit less on the past and the future and start thanking God for your many blessings now. Also remember to open your bible a little bit more frequently. I know that a lot of God's word can seem harsh and confusing, but spending more time in it will provide you with a better understanding of His love for you. Maybe with that understanding you'll be able to start the long process of forgiving Marilu and Dad. We forgive because we have been forgiven. Don't you ever forget that. We are forgiven continuously because of his mighty love for us. Hold on tight to His hand. He'll get you over the biggest mountains. Love you, A Wiser You

Tiffany

Harvard University, though it has an academically rigorous liberal arts curriculum, is better known for its research breakthroughs and its graduates who become successful entrepreneurs, innovative scientists, award-winning writers, and even world leaders. Harvard provides the tools and encouragement necessary for students to aim for and achieve their goals, whether it be creating startup tech companies, running for political positions, or engineering new ideas to improve healthcare.

The key piece of advice that I would give to myself is somewhat paradoxical: preserve the old, but embrace the new. In high school, it's easy to get caught up in cliques and upholding a reputation for yourself, but in college, make it a goal to meet new people and try new things. Take the opportunity to start fresh, from the people you choose to be your friends to the clubs and extracurriculars you decide to join. What you learn from the different people you meet and the exciting things you try will shape you into a wiser, smarter, and more cosmopolitan person. That being said, always remember to hold onto the values that are most important to you. Learn to be independent, strong-willed, and driven, and don't let others sway you too easily with peer pressure. College is about finding a balance between schoolwork, family, friends, and just about a million other things, but most importantly, it's about finding a balance between finding yourself and shaping yourself. Preserve your personality and the things that make you unique, but always be open to learning and embracing new lessons inside and outside of the classroom.

When I studied at Harvard Summer School between my junior and senior years of high school, I fell in love with the school not only because the curriculum challenged me to think critically and creatively, but also because the people I got to know in the program were some of the most interesting people I'd ever met and who became some of my best friends. The best thing about Harvard is that the most intelligent and talened students in the world are brought together in an environment that promotes learning and discovery about the world and themselves.

Rohit

Excellent and very positive. This school is bound to bring a positive difference in the lives of people.

What are some do's and don'ts for the admissions essay?

Admission essay should not be written in one sitting and its good to have it reviewed by as many as people since others can see some of your mistakes which is ignored by oneself.

What types of students, faculty, and staff should I try and speak with while visiting a college?

Getting uncensored and insight information which you can't get virtually should be the aim of the visit. For this you should meet current students, faculty of your discipline and research interest along with their graduate and post graduate students, admission staff, administrator of the discipline you interested in etc.

How can students save money during the college search?

Doing research on internet and learning from the experiences of present students will help you save money. But, directly you can save money on your tours, test scores etc.

How can students squeeze cash out of their school?

By working part time at libraries, dorms, student center, subjects to experiments, teaching some subjects to students, grocery store, pizza store etc.

How important is selectivity in evaluating colleges?

It is important to be aware of the acceptance rejection ratio of a particular college. Acceptance ratio is indirectly proportional to the selectivity. If a college is highly selective, it means your acceptance probability decreases. This may be considered in finalizing the list of colleges you want to consider.

What is the universal application?

You have to fill out one application which serves as your application for several colleges. This saves your time and energy of filling out individual applications. This is a good option till you want to study in the listed colleges which are 43+ presently.

At Harvard, students are fun loving and focused on their task while keeping some innovative thoughts back in mind. Drug culture is very less.

Are overnight stays important? How should I prepare for an overnight stay?

Yes indeed. This will help you judge the college not only by its cover. Scheduling the right time with the admission office will help you have a good experience of the classes and facilities available.

What are the best ways for students to negotiate their college tuition?

Presenting your case in the most influential manner to the Financial Aid officer and Dean. Best will be convince your professor and negotiate with the authorities along with the professor on your side.

How do you go about contacting alumni from a school you're interested in?

Through various dedicated clubs, Facebook fan pages, linkedin and other networking sites.

Does your hometown have any effect on your chances of getting in?

Yes it does as it affects your financial aid requirements.

How many colleges should I apply to? How many reaches? Safety schools?

It should always be 8. 3: Dream schools 3: Schools in accordance to your profile 2: Safety schools

What is the best way to start researching colleges?

By imagining the type of school where you will be happy after joining it.

If I haven't found the right extracurriculars, can I still appear to be a dedicated student?

Yes definitely. In your complete profile you have points for everything like grades, scores, recommendations, essays, extracurricular etc. Even if you don't have right extracurriculars you can compensate it with rest of the others.

What are the most important things to do and ask during a college visit?

Ask about the labs, libraries, sports facilities, security, health centers, a chance of interaction with the current students and faculty, college culture and history, notable alumini etc.

We don't have time or money to visit some schools I'm really interested in. What can I do?

Visit it virtually navigating the website effectively and talking to university people.

Student friendly, innovative and advanced.

What are the most accepted or exaggerated myths about the college admissions process?

High Grades and Test Scores alone doesn't decide your admission.

What are the best ways to navigate a college's website?

Find the school and department you are interested in joining. Click on all the tabs to have all the information available. Check out the FAQs and correspond through email and phone in case any queries unanswered.

What are the most significant, avoidable mistakes students make in the admissions process?

Lack of organization and prioritization of the application, choosing the recommender, University selection, errors in essays, interview preparation etc.

What do current students wish they had known when applying to college?

College culture, employment prospects, life at college, its worth in accordance with tuition, funding opportunities after entering the college, University selection in accordance with the profile, score requirements etc.

Tuition aside, what benefits and drawbacks exist by going to school in-state vs. out-of-state?

If you keep the tuition aside then I find no drawbacks except that you have to live away from family. While benefits are much more. After spending over 16-17 years its time to learn more about the country and world. Living outside home makes you independent and responsible.You tend to learn lot of things which you cannot expect to learn at your home. After you passout, you return as SMART person.

What are the best ways for students to manage their college expenses?

All the possible sources of funding like scholarships, loans, possible employment compensation, gifts, prizes etc should be noted down on a piece of paper which should be then explored individually. For some you may be good enough to secure a possible source of funding. Secondly, trying for funding is not at all bad so one should not feel shy enough to discuss with experts, professors and students who have experienced it before.

Nicholas

Classes are Harvard are usually described as impersonal, "taught by grad students", etc. In my experience those claims are untrue. There are some large lecture classes but any class with more than 20 students in it is required to hold smaller, break-out weekly sections (these are usually taught by grad students). Professors are incredibly accessible, because they are required to hold office hours each week (these regularly fill up). Outside of the structured access, I know many students who get coffee with TA's and professors. The quality of the education is another matter. I don't think the content or quality of the academics at Harvard are that much different than another other top-tier American university. Moreover, the liberal arts nature of the academic requirements results in many students graduating having gained no practical skills from their education. That lack of training is supplemented heavily by students' extracurricular pursuits instead.

Harvard students fall into two stereotypes: geeks and rich kids. While there are certainly many people that fit those two descriptions, the student body overall is remarkably well rounded. The super genius' are personable and the rich prep school kids are oftentimes quite brilliant. The notion that you can buy your way into the school is mostly untrue and being very smart is not enough on its own to guarantee admission. Everyone is very active outside of class. I would say that for the majority of students place their academics at #2 or lower on their priority list. Nearly every student has some sort of unique story or experience to share.

In high school, I equated maturity with perfect control over my life. So I set specific goals and worked diligently to achieve them, trying to never stray from my intended path. In college, the distinctions between school, social life, personal time, and world issues quickly broke down, and I realized the limits to what I could foresee. Seemingly out of nowhere, my friends would be in trouble - they were victims of sexual harrassment at school, or their relatives at home were ill - and I would be there to help them. Or, a hastily planned campus protest against rising student debt and income inequality somehow became national news. Suddenly, NPR and several major newspapers wanted to interview me, pushing me to make quick decisions about the direction of my own activism. College has at times been overwhelming, but on the whole I have never been happier. So, I would advise my high school self: embrace uncertainty, let the world take you by surprise, do something you never thought you would, and don't neglect to value the people around you. Through doing so, you will become more fulfilled, confident, and responsible and will gain a better sense of who you are.

Don't come if you feel that you always need to be the best at everything; don't come if you only care about yourself and your classes, but not about extracurriculars, friends, and/or the wider world; don't come if you are overly concerned with superficial things like the weather; don't come if you expect a homogenous environment or want people to always agree with your perspectives.

Harvard offers the opportunity to interact with some of the most accomplished people in every field. For instance, this past semester I was in a freshman seminar with only 12 students on human rights between rhetoric and reality, taught by professor Stephen Marks, a leading scholar and policy advisor on health and human rights. Needless to say, the class was amazing, and at the end of the semester he took us to the UN, where we got to meet many top officials and heads of NGOs... Also, I have learned so much from my peers, perhaps more than from class.

Claudia

Harvard is a community of friendly, multitalented, collaborative, and ambitious scholars, who treasure diversity, knowledge, and new experiences; all together, Harvard is a unique place known for its outstanding academic reputation and dedication to bettering society, but at the end, Harvard is the place it is today because of its scholars, who for four years enjoy the privilege of each others' company and the opportunity to learn and grow from each other.

A highly ambitious, innovative scholar should attend Harvard. The scholar should be a hard worker and a determined dreamer. He or she must have an unwavering passion for learning, self-discovery, and helping others. Most importantly, the individual must be characterized by a never-ending desire to do things. The scholar must constantly reflect on his or her future: What are the next steps? How are they to be achieved? How will they help mankind? If a Harvard education is to be of any value, the individual must graduate with a deeper and still unquenched thirst for knowledge and service.

Dear Claudia, As you enter Harvard take time to reflect on what has made you a successful scholar and now a first-generation college student. You have been relentless in your studies and you have devoted yourself whole-heartily to your community. Study the subjects that you have always loved and those, which you have never explored, but always wanted to. Embrace your brilliance in the humanities and social studies. The best students at Harvard have moved from the phase of self-doubt and uncertainty about their futures. The gift of knowing yourself is one possessed by few, even at Harvard, and having it will certainly help you make the best use of the wealth of opportunities that await you. At Harvard you will meet very friendly, interesting, and intelligent people. Now is the time to be social and to learn by experience. These are the people you have been looking for your whole life. The friends you make here will be like a second family, and once you make great friendships, Harvard will finally become a home away from home. Lastly, remember life is precious and only worth living if one is happy. Live life to the fullest.

Daniel

I love everything about the school, from the food to the courses available to my peers. I always can find a party to go to, but always have academic help when I need it too.

While many students do study a lot, I feel the general party atmosphere at Harvard is really fun and everyone knows how to have a good time. Sure when midterms and finals come around people get a little stressed out, but other than that everyone is very personable and very similar to the types of students you would find at any other school. While almost everyone is very smart, I have found it very easy to ask for help and receive it from my fellow peers.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Everyone who has visited me has told me our dining halls are much better than most other schools, and I would agree from my outside experiences too. We have cooks who work at the grill who take your order, as well as a pre-made buffet set out every meal. The variety and healthiness is very doable for anyone, and Harvard dining services cater to all allergenic problems.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Harvard is the oldest school in the country, and is famous for many things. Almost any building you live in has been inhabited by someone extremely famous, and there are historic landmarks everywhere. Classes are competitive, yet it is really easy to find a group to fit into since our students are so diverse.

The best campus tradition is primal scream, where twice a year all the students who want to run around Harvard yard completely naked, and tourists come by to take pictures.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Everyone is interested in the Harvard sports, but attendance isn't too high at games. Our teams usually fair well in the Ivy League, but not too well against really big, sports oriented schools (this year is an exception). Crew and hockey are very popular at Harvard, as well as all the other big sports.

What's the Greek scene like?

The greek scene for girls is somewhat big, the greek scene for guys however is small. Harvard has its own version of fraternities, called Final Clubs. They are very similar to frats, throw parties and have powerful grad boards etc. Girls also have Final Clubs, but sororities are popular as well.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Harvard does a great job keeping us all wanting to stay on campus, but when we do venture off, there are about 35 other colleges within a 30 mile radius! Boston really is a college town! We also have a China town and Korea town right next to us.

Our police department is really nice about all the policies, and is really there only to protect us. If we have drinking problems, we will never get in trouble if we get help at the Harvard hospital. Also, we have many tourists come on a daily basis, which can sometimes be a hassle. Not the mention, we do happen to be the oldest campus in the country.

Describe the dorms.

Freshman dorms are decent, you will usually spend one semester living with someone, then the second semester by yourself. As you move through the grades, the rooms become better and better.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Harvard is not only rated #1, after visiting, I was so impressed by the campus and students I met there. Everyone seemed so involved and people were really friendly and nice about answering any questions I had.

The final clubs, cultural organizations, and study groups, all of which I am a part of, are the most popular activity groups at Harvard. All the student groups do a good job of not only throwing parties, but having cultural and meaningful events as well.

The students are all very friendly, and everyone can find one or multiple groups to fit into. All of the student organizations also do a great job of making people feel like they belong.

The beginning classes are really large and taught by very famous professors, while the higher level classes get much more personal and concentrated. My beginning Economics class had 800 people, while upper level ones have 10-15 sometimes.

People think students at Harvard are all nerds, but actually we all come from different backgrounds and have different stories. We like to study hard, but play hard as well.

Harvard University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.