Huntsville, AL
J F Drake State Community and Technical College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend J F Drake State Community and Technical College

Charity

Drake State is a good college to receive a certificate or an associates degree as long as you stay on top of your work because some of the instructors don't care about your success. A lot of the BEST instructors/faculty have been fired and replaced with people who are only there for a pay check.

Gabrielle

I appreciate that Drake knows that their student work, the classes are easy to access,with an array of class times from that accommodate most work schedules

CHAFES

Great but needs more hands on, for ever two hours class time their should be one hour computer or in house work lab time, other then that they try to give you everything you need, though they may not all ways be able to meet everyone's needs.

Book warms, students at my school are book worms, because the teacher make you work to get the grade.

The students at our school are hard working, independent and willing to push themselves to be their best.

What ever your major calls for they try to make sure you get it, or show you how you can make up the difference through programs like TRIO, USA Skills, and Workforce Development.

charles

This is my third attempt at going back to school. I finished the Automotive Repair program in the 90's and have done well with my skills. The two previous times before now I wish I had known about all the funding that was out there. If I had then I probably would have finished when I had started to go back to school the previous times. If I hadnt been partially disabled because of an auto accident I wouldn't have known about all the funding there is now.

I know your last four years may or maynot have been the best. You may even feel like you need an academic break. Now is not the time to stop your academic education. It is easier to keep going than it is to stop and start back. Now is the time you get the break you need but in a different way. Now you become your own captian. College is not just about academics and courses but learning about yourself in ways you want get in other places. Nobody is going to be there to look over your shoulder or hold your hand, but you'll have plenty of support and meet new and interesting people and friends. Instead of an unyeilding schedule of events and tasks you get to pick and choose how you want things to go for you,( classes, hours, and how much of each). Not to mention there isn't hardly a campus or noncampus student out there that can't bring into rememberance enjoyable times either with friends, faculty,school events or all the above. Above all think of the pride and sense of accomplishment and all the other awards that come when your done.

Being a non traditional, second go around student, most of my classmates are younger than me and are not as dedicated to their education as they should be. They don't fully realize that it is up to them, not on the final say of the institution and/or instructor that determines the quantity and quality of their education. The degree is the ultimate goal but the skills and knowledge along with assertive application is what propels an individual via the vehicle of their education.

Tyhisa

My classmates are my family I spend more time with them, then I do at home.

My classmates are my family I spend more time with them, then I do at home.

Study Hard, dont let the easy things get by. Challenge yourself, if anyone says that you cannot do something; show them you can. Talk to your teachers about their background, ask them where they went to school and did they always want to become a teacher. Sometimes knowing some personal things about your teacher makes them look more human and approachable. Ask questions; Answer questions even if its wrong its okay. There is no such thing as a dumb question because the dumbest question is the one not asked. Put your education first everything else will come later. Put in the work to be the best, dont get discouraged if your not number one at least you tried. Dont beat yourself up over bad grades or think you cannot do better you can! I think we are gonna be ok kid.

My school is sooo supportive, they make you feel like anything you want to accomplish you can. My school wants me to learn all that I can and makes sure I have the resources to do so. There are great teachers at drake some of which were students at this very school.

Maria

Unfortunately I never made it to my senior year in high school. So I'll imagine I'm talking to myself in the tenth grade. Maria, I know you are confused right now. Life seems hard and you think your only option is to drop out and go work and buy that car and take off. Trust me, it will not help . What will help is to stay in school, go to classes with a positive outlook . Don't be afraid of math, you have a wonderful teacher in Mr. Painter. He only wants to help. Your teachers know you have problems at home, speak to one of them and get some help. They would be there for you if you let them in. Math is not so bad! Learn the ORDER of OPERATIONS! YOU, my dear, have a learning disability in math. Your writing is extremely good. You're a reporter for the paper! That can take you places. I know mom is no help at all. But there are resources at school, you just have to find them. Ask around. Keep asking, don't stop trying. You have so many interests... get involved, find some friends.

The teachers. I have some amazing professors that love to teach and their passion shows. I was dubious about what sort of instructors I might find at a two year college in a small town but I think that J.F. Drake State has some of the finest teachers avialable in the Computer Information Sciences discipline. My doubts have been assauged. The counselors are top notch as well and the President gives regular "Town Hall" meetings to address issues. It is quite a feeling of family.

I wish I had known that math figures in to computer programming a lot. I did not know that. I never passed my high school math classes and now I have had to take math 090 and Algebra 098, and neither one counts towards my graduation credits. I might have been able to take those classes a year ago had I known. To get them out of the way.

Victoria

Assuming I could go back in time and talk with myself as a high school senior I would advise knowing what I know now about college to do your home work when selecting a college and major. Look into all and any neccessary funding that would be available to you. Choose a field of study and make sure you look at the benefits that are offered under that field, long and short term benefits. Once you have decided and get your mind set to be serious and disciplined yet allowing yourself to leave room for fun also. College is a wonderful and rewarding experience if you allow it to be. Having the opportunity to attend college is a special privaledge that a lot of people don't have. So take pride in yourself and the opportunity and reach beyond the university and get all the education you can. Life can be full of challanges but with a college degree as your weapon /armor you can make it a lot easier.

Not enough funding subsidized funding. I feel this way because it is a state funded school and a lot of students just don't have the funds to afford the cost of collage therefore what is available get deplinished quickly.

Any person male or female, young or old, from all walks of life. People looking to better their situation in life. Any one looking to open the door and be willing to take that first step to success. People that are serious about succeeding.

J F Drake State Community and Technical College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.