Lakeland Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Lakeland Community College

Irene

I think it's a great school. It has a surprising amount of perks for students. The instructors are great, class sizes are relatively small, which is nice, and there's lots of free stuff! It's a community college, so no dorms, which contributes to the safety of the school. I will definitely recommend this school to others.

Anna

Lakeland Community College is a very good starting point if you are still uncertain of what you want to major in. It is way more affordable than a 4-year college. They also have multiple associate degrees and certificates to choose from. The teachers I have had so far have all been very nice and are always willing to help. I am very happy I started my college education at Lakeland because it has shown me what college is like without the distraction of dorms and parties.

Candice

Lakeland was a great college to acquire your Associate's degree. Easy to navigate campus, administration and faculty are positive and very helpful. I would recommend this college to anybody, young, old and in between to attend and receive their associate's Degree. Even if you do not know what you are interested in, you can acquire your Associates of Arts degree!

Bethany

The academics are great for a community college and the teachers are usually very accessible outside of class. The campus offers many study rooms and learning resources. I like Lakeland because they are very student focused and they work very hard to keep everything up to date.

nazarrea

I think that Lakeland is a very great community college. I would recommend anyone to go there . they have life changing opportunities that can help you succeed through the school year. Lakeland has all sorts of programs to get you through the school year such as men and women group its specified for counseling.

Zack

it is a great community college to attend. It is a community college so there is no house at all. though are pretty involved in sports. Lakeland does not have any fraternities nor do we have sororities; which in my eyes is a good thing. the food is a little pricey but good. overall great college and amazing professors.

Lakeland Community College provides a safe and sanitary environment for students at all times fo the year. Students receive a quality education with attentive professors for a phenomenal price.

Ryan

The college is great if you are not looking for the college experience. It has all that you need academically, but not alto to do socially. Their are not a lot of extracurricular activities, and the sports are sub par. It is a good college to get a cheap education.

Adele

Lakeland Community College is in all ways, entirely mediocre. They have curb appeal, but apart from the physical attributes of the institution, there isn't much about it that makes it any better or worse than your average community college. People here come to class and go home. There isn't much interaction on campus and the events they do hold tend to be planned poorly. The administration is often questionable and counselors tend to mislead students. It seems this institution is run more like a business than it is a college. The professors at this school, though, are some of the most caring people I have come across in my educational endeavors. This institution is great if you know what you're doing, but for people who are not aware of how the system works, I'd recommend going elsewhere.

Kinzey

My experience at Lakeland Community College is one that I will always treasure and appreciate as the starting point of my college career. There are multiple things that I enjoyed about Lakeland Community College; however, the main things I noticed throughout my stay was the positive relationships between students and teachers, academic programs, and adequate study space throughout the buildings. Lakeland gives placement tests to see where students should be when deciding classes for the semester. Unfortunately, for me, I did not place as highly as I would have liked to in mathematics. However, Lakeland offered a weekly class throughout the summer that reviewed math problems and assisted students that were having a tough time in the subject. In this program, we would do mock assignments and tests, concentrating on concepts that were difficult for us to understand. In addition to this program, the students that were active participants throughout the summer did not have to pay when retaking the placement test in the fall. Thankfully, when signing up for my fall semester, I was able to continue with the same professor for my MATH 0950 class. Lakeland prides itself on the positive relationships that the professors have with their students. The main priority of all my professors was for the students to succeed in their academics. I learned while at this institution that it is the student’s responsibility to approach the teacher when help is needed, but all it takes is that first step. At first, asking a professor may be daunting, but they are there for the students! Many of them (at least the ones I’ve had the pleasure of being taught by) have office hours where they encourage students to stop by and ask for assistance. All professors assist students in different ways. An example of this was that my statistics professor scheduled study dates outside of class during the weeks that tests were assigned. This was an opportunity for the class to come together and assist each other find different avenues for solving problems. During my two years at Lakeland, I enjoyed when professors greeted me in the hallways. For me, this shows camaraderie and passion for the student body’s success. Lakeland offers an array of classes at various times throughout the week. Lakeland has classes for full time parents who can only attend classes while their children are at school. Lakeland offers online classes for those who have other scheduling conflicts. Regardless of your scheduling stipulations, Lakeland has the available classes for you to complete your program, degree, or certificate. Along with being a full-time student, I also worked two different part-time jobs. Balancing my life between school work, jobs, and personal life was at first a struggle. However, the balance taught me time management and empowered me to multitask so that I could successfully turn in assignments and get to work on time while maintaining a healthy relationship with my friends and family. Lakeland also offers a multitude of  opportunities to get involved with the school community through honor societies, extracurricular activities, and clubs. These opportunities allow students to build their relationships with new people and strengthen their resumes. Another amazing amenity that Lakeland offers is the abundant amount of study space for students. Whether it is in the loft area of C building or the Student Collaboration Center located inside the library, Lakeland offers a plethora of spaces that allow students to come together as groups or remain by themselves, studying in small, private areas. Thankfully, food and drink is permitted in all areas of the buildings. However, Lakeland is home to their own Café called Breakers, where I would recommend their Chai Lattes. Food options are changed throughout the week, which provides a variety of  healthy options for students and faculty. When I was not in class, I often spent my time at school so I could focus, study, and finish my assignments before work or the day’s end. It helped that a majority of the study spaces were supplied with multiple charging outlets and cords for those that forgot their own. One benefit to students taking advantage of these study spaces is that they are also able to take advantage of the resources offered throughout the school such as tutoring centers, writing workshops, textbooks in the library, and professors’ office hours. Overall, I look at being an alumni of Lakeland Community College as an accomplishment and privilege. In the years of being student, I was able to attain skills that will allow me to adjust comfortably as a transfer student at a four-year university while working toward finishing my bachelor’s degree.

Lakeland Community College, although at first experience seems to just be a higher education "high school," actually isn't so bad. The educators have nothing but the best intentions and they work hard everyday to provide a quality education. The campus facilities and technology are more up-to date than most would give credit for, and the professors show that they are knowledgeable in advanced technology. The tutoring available on campus helps way more than it hurts, and the fact that it's free is just another bonus that the school offers. Overall, Lakeland Community College is a good stepping stone college to help students save money, while still getting quality educational attention

Aaron

My overall opinion about Lakeland Community College is that it is a great school to be apart of and is made up of very kind people. Every student that I have talked to was very kind and outgoing. Many people enjoy going to Lakeland and I am very happy to be apart of this college.

jesus

For me lakeland is a second home it took me in to the soccer team right after high school. the coach and staff members have been really nice to me and are always willing to help with personal problems, classes, and transferring to a different collage

Sandra

Lakeland Community College is a wonderful campus with caring and intelligent instructors. These instructors are always available to help. Everyone is nice and helpful including admissions, registration and other departments. There is plenty of parking including a shuttle bus if parking is too far to walk.

Madison

Lakeland Community College is not a typical campus. Currently, there is no on-campus housing that I know of, and the student body consists of commuters. This is a problem for people who live far away from campus, but for people like me who live somewhat close to campus, it is very convenient to have a community college within driving distance so I don’t have to move and pay for room and board. There are clubs and sports teams, but they are not a very big part of campus life, at least in my opinion. Most of the people who go to Lakeland want to take their classes and then drive home. This makes sense because a lot of working-class people and people who have children go to Lakeland to further their education. However, college is more than just clubs and student life. Lakeland is, in my opinion, a really great and affordable option for students who are looking for an education, either for simply an associate’s degree or for some sort of options for transfer. Classes are much cheaper than those from four year colleges, and every class that I have taken at the school has been small – fewer than twenty students. I have had some very wonderful and helpful professors as well – professors that are passionate and knowledgeable about their subjects and helpful and patient while teaching them. A lot of professors seem to really care about the success of their students, both in the classroom and in life. Of course there are some professors that are not the best, but I feel like that is an issue with every school. There are very good programs at Lakeland as well. I am in the biotechnology program, and the head of the program does everything in his power to help connect his students with potential internships, job opportunities, and opportunities for further education. He is also very readily accessible outside of class. Facilities at Lakeland also seem to be of good quality. Lakeland has a library and a computer lab that can be accessed for free, and also grants all students with ten dollars’ worth of free printing at the beginning of every semester. With double-sided printing and at ten cents per page, this is quite a deal, and I have never actually had to pay for printing at Lakeland. There are also people available to help you with research, writing papers, and tutoring for free. There are study areas scattered throughout the campus, and even quiet study areas in the library. Also in the library are group study areas separated by dividers, where each group can have their own individual study area complete with whiteboard walls, charging ports, and a TV screen where you can blow up your PowerPoints so all of the group can see them. The physical condition of Lakeland also seems good. There is a new H building that has just been built and seems very modernized. There are really no complaints from me about the older buildings either – they appear clean and well-maintained. The lab equipment and science facilities are also very advanced. I’m actually in awe of how nice the lab equipment is – I have seen the same lab equipment in research labs at Case Western Reserve. The cafeteria is okay. There are no meal plans as far as I know, and I’ve heard a lot of people complain that the food is expensive. To be honest, I don’t think it’s too bad if you watch what you get. You can get a huge piece of pizza that is the size of two large slices of Papa John’s pizza put together for around $1.60. One piece of that pizza fills me up for lunch. Some of the other stuff I think is expensive, though – one sandwich can cost like six dollars. Again, watch what you get and you’ll be fine.

william

It is a great place to start/finish your education. The cost per credit hour is very reasonable and is very affordable to attend with a low amount of student loans. It prepares you for the next step to a four-year university. All if not almost all credits transfer to in state universities.

Lisa

For a starting college, before I transfer, Lakeland has been wonderful. The atmosphere is welcoming, the facilities are great, faculty is helpful, and I would recommend it to anyone nearby who is getting a degree they offer. We have the Holden Center which allows students to transfer to other colleges online (like me) and get another degree while we're at Lakeland. I plan to graduate with two degrees and I don't have to step foot on campus for one of them! I love it.

Erika

It is all around a good community college and a great place to transfer to a 4-year university from. The staff are all very helpful and the professors as well. The classes, even online, can be very engaging depending on the class, and are quick to respond to emails regarding questions.

I like the convenience of it's location to where I live. I also like the class sizes. I've never had an instructor I didn't like, or one who wasn't knowledgeable of the subject they were teaching. The affordability can't be beat! There have been a couple of times I've gotten misinformation from the help desk.

Carrie

As an Asian American, I feel very welcome at Lakeland Community College. Lakeland strongly supports diversity and those with different appearances, skin colors, ethnic groups, and religions. All the professors wholeheartedly want their students to succeed and are accommodating. Free tutoring sessions along with walk-in math sessions are provided. Activity fairs are regularly held to encourage involvement around campus. Lakeland's Campus Police Department keeps the students and staff safe around-the-clock and new mobile apps have been created to provide quick access to help and guidance. Programs are being improved and a brand new health building has been built. Overall, I do not regret my decision to enroll at Lakeland Community College and I would recommend this school to anybody who is looking for a safe and inexpensive pathway to an Associate's Degree.

Angel

Lakeland is an amazing school with great teachers! Choosing Lakeland was the best decision I made!

Jackie

I think it's an excellent option for every student looking for an affordable 2-year option. In my opinion, everyone should start at a community college, especially if undecided, and then pursue a 4-year. I am in the process of transferring and LCC has every resource you could need in order to make a smooth transition.

Daniel

Lakeland Community College was the best decision I have ever made because being able to live at home while I goto school has allowed me to be the best student I could ever image myself as. The administration does excellent work with scheduling and class work in addition to the accredited professors Lakeland CC has to offer.