Farmville, VA
Longwood University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Longwood University

Carissa

It is likely that you have seen or had a class with the majority of your classmates in any class - you will always have a close friend to sit with - overall they are generally competent, surprisingly intelligent, consistently entertaining, and usually engaging.

Decisions are the hardest thing to make, and this just happens to be one of the biggest ones of your life. It will change you completely, and you will not realize just how much it has until the very end. Everything you thought you knew will crumble; you will realize how much there is to learn, and how much the rest of your life relied on This. Single. Decision. Through all the stressors about choosing the right school - you will. The decision process is miserable but devoted pros and cons lists will work. Consider what size of school you need, make sure you pick one that requires an internship - or at least do one, remember that every other freshman went through the same process you did, and learn to make ramen (boil water). This time, breathe. Realize that goals are made through thoughts, but reality is made through action. You cannot fix every problem in the world, but you can fix the ones you find most important to you. As long as you have an open mind, clean your dishes, and balance social life with school work (time management is key) you will have the best four years. Ever. Guaranteed.

First would have to be the size of the classrooms. All of my professors, even for my general education requirements, recognize me on campus and know me by name. This is incredibly convenient as I can easily receive recommendations for just about anything. Secondly, the study abroad programs are amazing! There are two-week and semester programs that take care of general education and major requirements. Basically, if you want to go somewhere to study, they will get you there. What I will miss most when I graduate is the gym - it is the best I have EVER been in.

I would like to tell myself to research careers and majors in a more in-depth manner. I would like to tell myself to take advantage of the the student programs set up for freshmen. I would ask myself to consider carefully each college suggestion given by my older friends in college, parents, and respected friends. Each college has its good points and its bad points. Carefully consider location versus program options. Listen to your parents, they do understand what you are going through and are there to help you.

Anyone looking for a large student population or an urban setting should not attend Longwood.

I talk about the small class size, the convenient location, and great faculty! The student programs are awesome and the sports are good. Most importantly, it is located in the heart of Virgina; it is within 3 hours of the mountains, the beach, Nova, and the Raleigh-Durham, NC area.

Misty

Longwood students are the kind who come in knowing what they have to do, but also know how to unwind at the end of the day.

I would remind myself that the decisions I make will effect me in the long run, but my main piece of advice to tell myself would be to keep doing what you've been doing. As an International Baccalaureate student in high school, the college workload was something that I was used to. As an Honors student at Longwood, I had the opportunity to get to know the people on my hall a week before school even started. I had a very easy transition. As long as I remain level-headed but keep a sense of fun, I will do well. Which is what I would tell myself.

Longwood is for anyone who likes to learn, loves to be involved, and wants a small-town environment.

Sydney

Longwood is a small university that is focused on becoming eco-friendly and having friendships with everyone.

It's small and easy to get around in. I like the small classrooms, and the student-professor ratio.

I would tell myself to really think about what I want to do as a career and make sure I pick a school that has the major I am interested in. Also, visit all different colleges and get the experience a college student would, by staying a couple days. See if you would rather be a big school or a small school. Don't follow your friends where they go. You need to focus on your career and what will make you happy in the long run.

Michelle

My classmates (as usually they are honors classes) are dedicated to their studies and care about what they are learning, they talk directly with eachother as well as the teacher when in discussion - you don't need to hide your opinions from them.

Longwood had the environment I loved, small classes and the town around it is centered around the school, everything is easy to get to. It was just comfortable being here, especially with how easily everyone accepts you no matter who you are. It sounds cliche, but Longwood really did just feel like home away from home, even when I just visited.

Advice to myself? RELAX! Not everyone cares that you are a bit weird - because they are all weird too! You'll find your best friends are those that hear what you say and respond; and they are the ones that will stick close to you through it all. People want to see who you are, it's ok to show them a little of whats on your mind, particularly the teachers. Acually, they WANT to hear you argue your point. So stick to what you believe, noone will look down on you for it, they'll respect you more. Don't be afraid to step out and enjoy yourself, college isn't all about keeping that 4.0 GPA. Classes are important, but so is life. Don't forget to live as who you are.

Allison

Longwood University is a small campus with a huge heart.

Longwood University is a small campus with a huge heart.

The personalized attention: every professor knows me by name.

Go with an open mind and get as involved as possible, it's the relationships made in college that shape who you become for the rest of your life. Don't stress over every little thing, just sit back and enjoy the best four years of your life!! Study hard, because you're going to be way more proud of your GPA in college, it feels more like you earn it and work for it than it ever did in high school. Oh, and by the way, you're going to become best friends with your roommate- so relax!

Ryan

Longwood is ideal for people who want a small school they can know lots of people and be involved in lots of things. Definitley a college town. A ton of school pride. Is getting much harder to get in. Beautiful campus and small town allows you to focus on the college experience.

Not the most diverse campus. In Dhall greeks all sit together, then athletes then everyone else. Just how it is. Most longwood students are from Ric, Nova and VB.

i absolutely loved my time there! best 4 years of my life!

sometimes stuck up, a good amount of girls and guys, pretty smart and yes

classes and majors are small which is great. positive pressure to do well in school. The library is a great place to study because you can socialize a little while studying. It's not overlly competitive but can be challenging. Definitley prepared me for a job. Allowed to me suceed academically.

Greek Life is very important! All of the sororities and frats have stereotypes which arn't hard to figure out after a little while there. It's basically Greek, Athletes, Jesus Freaks and then everyone else. Living in the dorms is a great experience cause everyone is together and friendly. Off campus is just as much fun casue its such a small town that its only a short walk to friends places or parties. Parties are great! the weekend starts on thursday. The only bar in town (most often call "The bar" but known as mulligans" is where everyone of age is thursday night. Then everyone wanders to parties. Cops are pretty cool so you won't likely get in trouble if your careful. Still plenty of things to do if you don't drink

stuck up, mostly girls, not smart enough to go to jmu, big partiers

Michelle

I have never had a problem making friends with my classmates.

I have never had a problem making friends with my classmates.

There are a lot of important decisions to make when deciding what college to attend for the next four years of a students education, and I would tell every student and parent to really dig deep and take their time in finding the right fit for them. Be sure to look for what you want to get out of a college, whether that be academics offered, social life, the setting of the college or even finance services. It seems a little cliche, but when I arrived at Longwood for my initial visit, I immediately felt comfortable and a little at home and I think having that feeling when you get to school is important to have. I would strongly suggest taking a tour or visit the campus before making your decision. Get to know the staff and faculty as well as fellow students. As for making the most out of your college experience, I would suggest joining clubs or organizations on campus, but try to not to become too involved. Stay positive and remember that you can only get out what you want from an experience, so make it what you want!

I think that the worst thing about Longwood would probably be that sometimes it is hard to get paperwork figured out because the university is very technology based and you can't always talk to a person face to face to get answers which I find very frustrating in some situations.

Longwood is best known for being a teachers college.

Longwood is best known for being a teachers college.

If you know what you want to major in locating the perfect college is easy. However, if you're not sure what you want to do with your life look for a school that has a large variety of majors. Also, consider what size school would best fit you. During your freshman year utilize your general education requirements to help you find what you want to major in. If after your first semester you feel like the college you choose isn't right for you, transfer. There's nothing wrong with transferring, you just need to do it ASAP in order to graduate in 4 years. Most colleges will accept your lower level credits, but once you start taking upper level courses they'll be harder to transfer. Whether in a small town or big city, many students complain that there is nothing to do. Activities are not going to magically appear, you have to make an effort to look for them. Your college and surrounding town are eager for you to participate in a variety of activities that are free or in-expensive. Always be on the look out for fliers or ads in the local or school newspaper.

Its small class size. Students are more committed and are able to form close bonds with professors. It's also not as overwhelming as colleges that have 200+ students in a class. You're not just a number. Professors make an effort to learn all of their students' names. General Education courses can expect to have around 40 students while upper level classes average around 20 students.

Longwood University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.