Milwaukee, WI
Marquette University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marquette University

Cristin

If I could talk to myself as a highschool senior I would tell myself to study hard and keep my grades up but I would also tell myself to enjoy the little things. Enjoy the midnight runs to the beach with my friends. I would tell myself to go out of my comfort zone and become friends with all sorts of people. I would tell myself to rebuild who I am. The people we know in high school have known us since we were very little. I know there were aspects of my life I would like to change. I would try to change these in college. The friends I make in college would not know my past experiences and with their lack of knowledge I could recreate the person I always wanted to be. I would tell myself to enjoy the time because it is some of the best days one could experience.

I believe the worst thing about Marquette University is the lack of diversity. Coming from a very diverse high school I got used to diversity. I enjoyed having a multitude of races surrounding me because I learned about all cultures, and have friends of all races. I even enjoyed it. I believe Marquette says we are diverse, however when you walk outside to go to class, you do not see a diverse culture. Granted the surrounding Milwaukee area is very diverse, Marquette itself has the downfall of not being as diverse as I would have hoped.

I wish I had known how difficult college was. Being a great student in high school will not last you long at a university.I wish I had believed people when they told me if you take a class for one hour you study for three outside of class. I thought people were exageratting but they are not. Be involved but stay up to keep with school work. Extra curriculars will not help in the long run if you cannot complete an education.

Katarina

When I tell my friends about my school I brag about the flexibilty. I have the freedom to choose a major and I am provided with the right path to achieve my educational goals within an appropriate amount of time.

Dear Katarina, Take advantage of every oppurtunity given. Do not take short cuts rather do the work because this will prepare you for college life. Remember that college is about you and do not let others make choices on your behalf. College is all about discovering yourself, there is no right or wrong. You can be nervous but be excited. You will grow and learn about yourself because your ultimate goal is to be the best you possible. Katarina please know that it will not be easy but you have the key to unlock your fullest potential. With this being said, do not allow boundaries to be placed on success. You will define your true measurement of success.

The environment of the Milwaukee community is the best aspect about my school. This is because the environment promotes students to get involved and participate in an exchange of learning. The learning and experiences accumulated helps with important knowledge needed for future careers.

Shannon

My classmates are hardworking, successful and truly set on "Being the Difference."

If I could go back in time and tell my high school self what I know now about college I would tell myself 5 things... 1. Everyone is trying to make friends, and you are not alone. 2. Your family will always love and support you 100% , they know how badly you miss them. 3. Your high school friends will always have your back. 4. You are going to learn so much about yourself and exciting new things. 5. Classes will be challenging, but you are up for the challenge.

Being in an urban setting, like Milwaukee, Marquette University faces many problems that impact all cites. The biggest issues that have struck me while being on this campus are the poverty and homelessness. Each day as I walk to class I stare this problem and these people in the face. That is the worst thing about my school, I was not prepared to face this problem and take it on as my own. But this weakness is also a strength, because we as a University can join together to fix it.

Benjamin

My school is a beautiful and esteemed catholic university with a heavy emphasis on virtue and service.

My school is best known for its history as a jesuit institution. It was founded way back in 1881, and was the first catholic university to have a coed program. It is also known for its emphasis on community service. Its basketball team is pretty good, with some famous NBA players (such as Jimmy Butler and Dwayne Wade) as alumni.

I would tell myself to relax, and not worry so much. I was very nervous about making the transition to college life, as I had no idea what to expect. I had irrational fears of not making friends or not being able to function without my parents, and I was anxious the entire time leading up to the day I moved in. Since then, I have realized that my fears were completely unnecessary. I have maintained a 3.68 GPA, and have made tons of great friendships that I know will last a lifetime. Overall, I would simply want to tell my past self that I'm going to have a fantastic year, and that there is no need to worry at all.

Chandler

The network here is noticeably greater. The alumni still are very proud of going to Marquette and I thought that was really different from the other schools I looked at. The campus is spectacular, expecially in the fall when all the leaves are changing color on the trees. It has very old and historical buildings, but also new and updated buildings as well, so it is the best of both worlds. Being right in downtown Milwaukee is an amazing experience for anyone who enjoys the city.

The type of person who should not attend Marquette University are people who are not willing to put in the time and effort it takes to do well here. If you don't like the city, you may not feel comfortable here since Marquette is right in the middle of downtown Milwaukee. Also, having a Catholic background is always helpful since it is a Jesuit institution, but it most definitely is not required.

More than anything, I would tell myself something I didn't really think mattered in high school: learn how to study effectively. In high school, I was one of the students who didn't really have to study all that much to achieve the grades I wanted, and therefore I never developed the study skills necessary to survive in college. I struggled a lot my first semester, with trying to balance my school work, my job, and having a social life. It seemed nearly impossible at one point, but realizing I started off taking way to many credits for me to handle and then lowering my workload the next semester really did help. Figuring out what works best for you, when it comes to studying, is something you really need to do before you get into college. Also, allow yourself to open up. Coming into college is a scary thing, but you can't let that stand in your way of making new friends and new memories. You will regret it if you let some of the amazing people you meet slip away.

Maggie

Marquette is a community. And I am not using that term lightly. Walking down Wisconsin Avenue, the heart of Milwaukee, students smile at each other, hold the door open for one another, and say "excuse me", "please", and "thank you" while completing every day campus activities. These things may all seem trivial and like they are just basic manners, but they are not. I noticed that at other schools there is not the genuine care for the other people around you that there is at Marquette. Marquette is genuine, which is hard to find in this superficial world.

Trust your gut. In your heart of hearts, you know where you belong. Stay true to your values, and know who you are; but also realize that there is so much diversity in the world and experiencing it is a part of life. You will be amazed at the opportunities and difficulties that will present themselves to you, tackle all of them as a chance to grow. Keep an open mind and a smile on your face: this is one of the only times you can completely recreate yourself. Expand your horizons in your academic, extracurricular, and social interests. Keep making new friends, but also form meaningful relationships. A whirlwind of emotions will surround you. It will be a strange feeling, but a good one. Enjoy yourself and take in each moment, you won't have anymore quite like these first weeks of freshmen year.

The type of person who wants to grow in every aspect of their life. You should come to Marquette if you want to be challenged to think outside of the box in the classroom, apply that thought to the world around you, and be the difference in every way you can; whether it be smiling at a stranger, holding the door open, doing community service, or starting new organizations and clubs. At Marquette, you should want to be involved, and jump in all of the amazing opportunities they offer. Marquette students are "go-getters" in every aspect.

Jodie

I do not appreciate the weekend alcohol, binge-drinking culture. I am happy to be living off-campus at this time for this reason. I have seen a lot of classmates taking big risks with their well-being.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would offer two pieces of advise. First, take time to savor the college experience and challenge yourself to try new things from the very start. It took me a few years to come to the realization that I may never again have the opportunity to engage in so many different activities or cultural experiences. I made a New Year's Resolution to do or try one new thing each month and that was an incredibly rewarding experience! Not only did it open me up to new perspectives and ways to have fun, but I also made connections with people I otherwise would not have. I made the same resolution this year because it was such a rich experience. The second piece of advise I would give is to honor yourself. While coming from high school, you are still exploring and figuring out your identity, there are things you do know. Honoring yourself means being committed to your self-identified values and treating yourself with the utmost respect in all aspects of your life.

The best thing about Marquette University is the faculty. Almost all of my experience with faculty members has been positive. The professors I have had the chance to work with have been extremely supportive and go out of their way to be available, working around my schedule to meet if necessary. Even though I may not be in their classes, they will still check in with me via email. The faculty really does care for their students.

Small campus with a small student population but it is big when it comes to working together and caring about each other, the community and the environment.

Classmates are reserved, studious, busy, smart but they are also very friendly and willing to study and work together for class.

Erin

My classmates are helpful, understanding, and intelligent; they want me to succeed as much as i do.

I would tell my high school self to relax. I was so concerned with getting into college, that i ignored all of the hard work i had done for the past four years, and didn't give myself enough credit. I also doubted my decision making when it came to choosing a university. I know now that things almost always work out the way that they should, and i should have trusted my gut when i felt that i found the right place for me. College can be daunting, and the transition certainly isn't an easy one. But when you find the right university, you also find the right network of individuals who are willing to help you attain your goals and make the transtion as painless and successful as possible. College isn't easy, but it's the one time in your life that you have to find who you are and figure out where it is that you're meant to be, and what you're meant to be doing.

The only type of person that should not attend Marquette, is someone who is unwilling to work hard. Yes, Marquette is academically rigorous, but i believe any one who wants to succeed, and is willing to try their best, is a good fit for this university.

Marquette University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.