Marquette University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Marquette University

Sam

Within weeks of becoming a part of the Marquette community, I felt like I was at home. I love the environment and the friends I've made. There is so much to do for anyone who has a passion.

Natalia

Marquette University is not just a school. It is a home, an amazing opportunity, and a place where amazing memories are formed. You will be supported by faculty, students, and even city residents. Everyone does anything in their power to ensure the students succeed and lead the lives they envision. The classes may be difficult but they are practical, interesting, and are built to reflect the real world. Marquette offers many options to the students to ensure they do well and succeed in their careers and classes. I could not imagine a better place to call my home.

Sloane

When I first visited Marquette, I wasn't sure I'd like it, but since I have been here, I found that I really love it. I'm glad I made my decision to go to Marquette- it's a great school with a gorgeous campus and I've made so many good friends and met awesome classmates already and I've only been here a year!

Erin

I absolutely love Marquette. The campus is amazing and the professors are brilliant. It's a great atmosphere and I couldn't imagine going to school anywhere else. We are Marquette!

Vanessa

The school was no where near my first choice. I applied because it was free. I visited with my parents and they fell in love, which of course made me hate it. But I sucked it up and listened to my parents for once. They were right. This place is home. I found an amazing group of friends. was able to join so many different organizations. This would have happened no matter where I went though. When people ask me what I like about my school I just say everything. The experience that I have had here is not just a college experience, it is a Marquette experience. Something only people that went to Marquette can truly understand and appreciate.

Julia

Marquette does a great job of making its students feel like individuals, not just an ID number. At the same time, the food may or may not give you a stomach ache depending on the dining hall, and the recreation center leaves something to be desired in terms of size and space. Marquette's doing a lot of renovation of its facilities right now, so some of the buildings feel a little dated while others are freshly renovated. It's location deep in Milwaukee's downtown area means that there are always things to do, and the student government provides lots of free opportunities to do special activities in the city, like hot yoga or sledding. The city itself is a wealth of restaurants and activities, and both the Public Museum and the Art Museum offer free days to draw in the broke college kid, hungry for culture. The programs are stellar, and for the most part, faculty genuinely want you to succeed and are willing to help, and the courses are challenging enough to satisfy any overachiever.

Emma Claire

I love Marquette. The culture here is great. Everyone is so friendly and everyone wants everyone else to succeed. When you leave for breaks you cant wait to go back. Professors are exciting and available and want you to succeed. Many classes are on a curve and grading is typically fair.

Valerie

The happiest place on Earth! When I came to Marquette, I found my true home. What originally attracted me to the campus was the people. I have never met such kind, caring, thoughtful, generous, and loving individuals in my whole life. Even though it is predominantly Midwesterners, Marquette preaches diversity and encourages growth. Dedicated to the Jesuit mission, Marquette makes sure that each student can gain a new appreciation and outlook of the world after their time there. Milwaukee puts truth in the saying, "Cold weather, warm hearts".

Jack

I love my school.

Kennedy

Marquette University academically speaking is a pretty solid university. There is large emphasis on theological and philosophical thought to encourage intellectual curiosity and also to help mankind. Classes at Marquette can range from pretty easy to deathly hard and there is a wide variety of majors to chose from. The school does have a religious affiliation and because of this the campus is rather conservative in respect to college campuses as a whole. In addition many of the students who do attend Marquette are pretty financially well off. This leads to not much diversity which Marquette seems to be trying to improve on. The area of Marquette is not too safe but, don't let that discourage you from attending there are many ways to keep yourself safe on campus by using "common" sense. Overall it is a good school there are definitely better institutions but Marquette has a great financial aid package and is a solid school with a decent and loyal network.

Javonte

Overall, Marquette University is a great school. The prestige of the school is rather high. The environment is welcoming, although it does not provide a true college town vibe due to its placement in the inner city. I believe we have a wonderful alumni program. Many alumni make themselves available to students by providing them with connections to internships and full time jobs.

Vanessa

I really enjoy this school. The atmosphere is positive and the class sizes are great. The teachers are often available to help and want their students to succeed. I am very grateful to be attending such a great university with all that it has to offer.

Cheng

As an individual who plans to attend Marquette University and I residence of Milwaukee where I partake in events at the university frequently, I have an overall positive and great experience of the campus. The rich culture is perfect icing to the cake which is Milwaukee, a melting pot of ethnicity.

Kristin

I love it here! Very happy I made the decision to choose a city school. There is always something to do and things to see. Milwaukee has so many different sides you can never get bored with it. There is a heavy importance put on acedmics, so the weekdays are for the books and the weekends are for blowing off steam! Basketball season is so much fun but I do wish we has football for the fall! Overall i and super happy with my decision. Everyone is so nice and inclusive here it feels like home.

Ayla

I truly enjoy being a student here. There's always something to do or somewhere to go with friends. I wish there were more stores besides the walgreen's on campus and hopefully more companies realize they have an opportunity near a large campus, as well as being in downtown Milwaukee. Campus police are super helpful, with some of the problems I've had. Panhandling is a big problem and I feel bad not giving but I hand out a card from midnight run for services. Food is good, housing is average. Overall a good school to attend.

Deb

I love my major and all the fun things I get to do in the College of Communicaiton so no complaints there. Although dorm food and student life could be better. I see a lot of other schools have free fun events like concerts and etc. We don't have anything like that, but we have basketball. Basketball is pretty big here (since we don't have a football team). And the school is apparently taking steps to improve its climate (social climate). My roommate and one of her childhood friends have been looking at Marquette since they were kids. Now they both go here and my room mate loves it while her friend hates it here, despite dreaming about coming here when she was young.

Daniel

Marquette University is a good choice for a variety of students. The social scene is large, which is nice for the student who is there to party, and this also has the effect of increasing professor availability to students are there to excel. This does cause some campus tension in that some students bother others with their behavior but due to the separation of the academic buildings and hang-outs, the academic and party scenes are generally able to coexist without tension. Even the housing tends to be separated into 'party dorms' and 'study dorms', which can be great but can also be tragic if you are stuck in a dorm that you don't want to be in. Would recommend for any party fan who can tolerate studying and for any academic who can tolerate a party.

Jason

This university is preceeded by its reputation as a stellar academic institution that yields a great deal of clout to graduates entering the workforce. It also prepares graduates for a variety of graduate programs that bring success in professional work such as law, medicine, dentistry, management and more. The academic rigor matches that reputation and doesn't let students by with minimal work. The admissions process is helpful, the faculty is astounding and diverse, and the resources are great. The only downside is a much larger group of religiosity that can sometimes be a fantastic thing but sometimes limit the diversity of the student population and worldliness that other D1 schools attract. In the end, it is an expensive school. The pricetag should be considered. I would recommend not even giving it a second thought IF the student has a clear and concise future in mind where Marquette can give opportunities to open any door. However, consider MU heavily if you're looking for a liberal arts degree or for five years of undecided studies before taking on that debt.

I love Marquette. The teachers and classes are all great. Even thought you have to take Gen Eds, you start major coursework on day 1. There's so much to do on and around campus and I already feel like a part of the school. I couldn't be happier with my decision

Carolyn

As a first generation Latina from California, it was a culture shock going to the Midwest, yet the community I surrounded myself with the rigorous academia reflected the environment in Los Angeles, that made it easier to "assimilate." Coming from a Catholic all-girl school, Marquette's Jesuit values reflect those of my own that focuses on community service, leadership and the commitment of education. Furthermore, Marquette is a beacon for future leaders, scholars and humanitarians that believe in the overall well being of our world and society​.

Patricia

As of now, I have just completed my first semester at Marquette University. My experience with the school has been excellent. One thing that I would like to comment on is that some of the teachers are not always accessible. Some teachers are only easily approached in the classroom.

Alissa

I am very glad that I chose Marquette University. Although the high acceptance rate made me wonder if the academics were actually rigorous, the classes are very comparable to other high-ranked schools. The students are generally very compassionate. Although this is a Catholic university and Theology is required for graduation, they do not try to convert students or push Catholicism to those who aren't Catholic. Great school, great academics, great facilities.

Gabriella

Marquette University is a lively campus, energy is given off wherever you go! Many students get very involved and excited about sports and clubs around campus. There is always a group going down to the third ward on weekends. The students normally walk in groups around campus, although they have their own police force, just to be extra cautious.

It's a great school, with a good community of students, professors, faculty, and alumni. The education is challenging and fulfilling, as well as a great environment that betters the experience. As a student I feel safe, educated, and properly aided when needed.

lydia

Marquette is a very welcoming community based campus. It is tough but the teachers are always willing to meet outside class to help as much as they can. Being involved on campus is very important to Marquette as there are hundreds of organizations to join.

Longyi

Great campus. Four years at Marquette are valuable and impressive. Faculties and professors are friendly, professional, and accessible. Be careful about safety issues and you will be fine.

Madisen

Honestly, I’m not enjoying my time at Marquette. I’ve emailed some clubs I wanted to join at the beginning of the year and have yet to hear back about meeting times or positions. A new curriculum was presented this year, and one of the classes is very unorganized as even the professor is confused about this new class. It is a lovely school with a beautiful campus, but the Catholic values aren’t as obvious as I’d wish (The Church of Gesu is only open for weekend Mass, otherwise daily Mass is in the basement; the values are stated in emails from important figures, but not all professors have the same values/intentions). All in all, if you’re in the college search process, I recommend looking into a lot of schools near and far. I thought Marquette had everything I wanted, but now I’m regretting narrowing down my options so quickly. Don’t just look at the numbers. Visit the campus, talk with those in the activities you want to be a part of. Know if you really want to be far from family and friends, if you’d like living in a different environment (urban v. rural), and if you can really see yourself going to your favorite schools. Know you can transfer or change your major, not everything needs to be decided now. Best of luck, and may God lead the way!

Molly

Marquette is a relatively safe place. The campus security is on top of everything going on around campus. Classes are taught by great professors who know what they're teaching. There are lots of opportunities to volunteer or join clubs and to be involved with the university.

Hailey

So far, I am more than happy with my decision to attend Marquette University. From the beginning of my college search, even when I was still undecided, Marquette stuck out because of how personal they were when it came to reaching out to me and offering me opportunities to explore campus to learn more about it. When I visited, everyone was so accommodating and full of information that made me realize that the school was perfect for me. I also spoke with current students and heard nothing but good things about the school. I did not mean one person that did not absolutely love it. As far as academics, they are challenging. However, there are so many resources that help you succeed. The office hours teachers offer are great, but there are also tutoring groups, a writing center, math help desks, and a library that offers help with basically everything you would need. Now, being nearly completed with my first semester, I am so happy with my decision to come here and I can no longer imagine being anywhere else. Even though I am 1,000 miles from home, I still feel at home here and I am so lucky to have that. Milwaukee is a super cool city, and it is a different experience for me to be living in the city. It is the perfect size city so that it is not overwhelming and the university does a good job of keeping us safe since there is always something happening in the city.

hannah

Great academics, some of the people are judgmental but you just have to find the right crowd. The professors are always available and studies are fun overall. It is easy to get distracted with the party scene, considering the academics are pretty rigorous depending on your major.

Lessly

It offers many opportunities for many of the majors that are offered. They also allow a lot of freedom to try to do and make opportunities for one's self. Although trying to figure out how to schedule classes can be difficult, and classes that are required to take are difficult to take since there is little capacity. In addition, it is difficult to know the requirements or one's major each year. Recently, the CORE was incooperated, and many are confused on what it is, what it does, and what classes are needed to be taken.

Marie

I love Marquette. The people here are nice, the teachers 9 times out of 10 are amazing, and there is always someone who is willing to help you out. Even though it is a smaller school the social life is still popping and you get a true college experience.

Shadaab

It is overall a really good university, and i would highly recommend it to someone. The on-campus housing might not be the greatest but the money your paying for living there it is not quite bad. The only thing i really had a bad experience with was the food. Coming from an Indian background i have eaten and eat really good food but Marquette isn't the best place to go for, for food

nuriyah

I really enjoy going to Marquette when it comes to my academics. But sometimes, I feel like Marquette could do a better job with being more inclusive and understanding of minorities on campus. Also, I feel think that Marquette should get rid of some required classes and replace them with other classes that give students a world/cultural perspective on life rather than just a Jesuit perspective. ex: social welfare and justice.

Brittney

Marquette prides itself on being a community and there are tons of activities for all students to join! Off-campus housing is not the best because it is either low quality or highly priced. The one very inconvenient thing about going to school in the city is lack of grocery stores

Veronica

Like any other school, Marquette University has its pros and its cons depending on who you are as an individual. Its at the center of a moderately-sized city in the state of Wisconsin. This gives it both an urban feel and your typical friendly midwestern atmosphere. Although its located in downtown Milwaukee, the campus is designed in a way so that it feels safe and secluded from the rest of the city. This is something I consider a pro. Marquette still has all the benefits of being located in a city all while maintaining a college feel. Next, Marquette has excellent academics. Although its not necessarily known for its academic intensity, the classes here range from easy As to intellectually challenging courses. This is something I like as well. I have the opportunity to take difficult classes along with a few easy classes so that my course load isn't intolerable, but I can still challenge myself to grow academically. Socially, Marquette might not be for everyone. When people think of college they usually think of frat parties and game day tailgates. At Marquette neither of these things exist really. There's usually at least one party every weekend, but they're never what you see at other state schools. Marquette is definitely more of a bar school, but that can be risky depending on whether you want to try to get into the bars. If you're looking for a total party school, Marquette is not your place. In terms of the quality of our school and dorm buildings, I would give Marquette a B. The university keeps the school buildings up to date and clean, but the dorms can be quite small and most don't have AC (not that you'll need it much in Wisconsin). However, they are taking steps to improve this. In a year they will be knocking down the famous McCormick Hall and finishing construction on an amazing new freshman dorm. One complaint I do have about Marquette are the dorm policies. Many of the visiting policies in place at Marquette are archaic and frankly dangerous for the students. Students from other dorms are not allowed to be in any other dorm past 1 or 2am (depending on if its a weekday or weekend). This rule forces students to leave their friends dorms and walk through campus very late at night. Because Marquette is located on the west side of downtown Milwaukee, its not the safest walk to be taking that late at night and students have been mugged doing it. Lastly, the one thing I would give Marquette an absolute 0/10 F grade on is the dorm food. Marquette hires a private company called Sodexo to provide the food in our dorm halls and I can confidently say it is the worst food you will ever eat in your life, beyond whatever other dorm food you may have tried elsewhere. Its so bad I use what little money I make at my campus job to buy groceries so that I don't have to eat the dorm food every day. Don't let the food scare you away though. There are ways to survive around it, but this is definitely something you should be aware of before you come.

McKenna

Marquette is in the middle of a large city, but often gives me the feeling of a smaller community on campus. We have a lot of good sports teams and great school spirit. There are many opportunities to get involved and to give back. The classes are challenging and the professors are enlightening. It is the best place for me.

Grace

Marquette University is a galaxy of opportunities for students. A new world of education as well as social life awaits incoming students. The university glowed with a warm and accepting vibe through the beautiful, clean campus just outside of downtown, Milwaukee.

I love it! While the housing options for undergraduate students are lackluster the city is amazing and the school genuinely cares about its' students. The people are fun and greek life is an awesome part of the school it is not the end all be all. Overall very great to live at.

Dominic

I love the university, its part of my hometown and I've always dreamed of coming here and its just as good as I imagined. Its got all the stores you can want since Milwaukee is so class it's not to bad to walk or get an uber downtown to hang with friends on an off day which is definitely needed cause classes will wear you out. but overall the work can be done if you use your time properly and then once you get all done there is usually a game of some sort of sport going on and the fan section is always great fun to be in is definitely a great environment to hang out and make new friends. If your thinking about coming here for school I recommend it completely.

Riley

Committing to Marquette University is the best decision that I've ever made. Marquette's academics are rigorous and enriching. You're sure to find meaning in every course that you take. The people here are incredibly kind and the professors are very approachable. There is tons to do, as Marquette is located in the heart of Milwaukee. The party scene isn't as huge as a school like Madison but definitely it's alive on weekends. I will forever be thankful for the people that I've met here and the experiences that I've had!

Breanna

I like Marquette and the values it stands for. It is a Jesuit University with a history of service. The college is tolerant and welcoming of all religions. The professors are ethical and dynamic. The students are driven, thoughtful, and kind. The classes inspire me to think higher thoughts. The campus environment is calm. The library has beautifully bound books and every book you could ever read. I feel like I can learn anything. It is a privilege to go to school here and receive a degree from Marquette U and call myself a Marquette Eagle!

Eva

Love Marquette, there is something here for everyone. Marquette has many resources to offer its students. The professors and staff are here to help you, and the University challenges you to grow and become a more well-rounded and dedicated individual.

Helen

I am a freshman at Marquette University and have loved my experience so far. Becoming involved on campus makes a huge difference in your experience. I chose to join a club sports team and have loved every second of it so far. The one thing I wish was different is it would be nice if there were more extra curricular activities or events planned for students.

Makaela

Marquette University has a great environment and excells in academics. I love being a part of the golden eagles. The basketball games have the most spirit I have ever seen at any school sporting event and the teachers are always there to help when it is needed. Outside of school monitored activities, the students are always hanging out together and having fun in safe ways.

Alexi

I love Marquette and the overall atmosphere that it creates for its students. From academics to social time, Marquette covers it all and truly makes its students feel welcome. I also do feel extremely safe knowing that we have our own campus police, which is extremely helpful.

Olivia

After visiting Marquette a few times, I am fairly certain that this is my dream school. It offers a small town school within a city setting with lots to do. The housing and food choices are nothing like other campus. And they offer an undergraduate degree in Bio-Medical Engineering with a minor in Art!

Olivia

Mergimtare

Marquette University is a school that challenges its students to explore new fields and get out of their comfort zones. My only concern is that it secludes itself from the surrounding Milwaukee area. I am very satisfied with the accessibility of professors and their willingness to help students outside of class.

Angelina

Marquette University only cares about money and pays no attention to the needs of there students. The student services they offer here are completely useless. Examples being the medical services, the counseling services, and most prevelently the Arts and Sciences advising centers. These people are so unhelpful and if you attend Marquette university under the college of Arts and Sciences you are on your own and will receive advisors that have no idea what they are talking about, advisors that are lazy, and that do not care about helping you be on track for your major. I have had three different advisors under the college of arts and sciences and each one has been uneducated, unhelpful, and careless about the future of students here at Marquette. If I could transfer I would. This University is completely unhelpful to the students and I am just hoping that some how attending this terrible university will pay off in the future.