Massachusetts College of Art and Design Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Massachusetts College of Art and Design

I personally enjoy attending MassArt, it gives me a lot of opportunities as an artist and, it allows me to do a lot of different art projects that I never done before. However, although I think the school is great, it is not without it’s flaws, the meal plan needs to improve as well as the housing plan. The falculty is very helpful but, personally I think the college needs to bring opportunities to undergraduate students.

Nothing I would change I love my school and the people in it! just wish we had more scholarships cause I hate having to take out big loans.The culture of the city also plays a big role in the school. there is so much to do in Boston and it's always a blast weekdays and weekends sometimes ... I DONT EVEN WANT TO LEAVE CAMPUS!! I love the relationships created by students and teachers, all friendly and easy to confront when worried or just simple small questions the faculty is always ready to help. I know for sure I never want to leave this soon however again wish I had more money so I won't be in debt later on but its so worth it for the life and education of art taught on this great campus! The food is also amazing and the workers are really nice, in the dorms again the faculty is just beyond perfect a good morning every day no matter whats going on in my day they always make me smile with their bright smile and politeness. I wish more people knew how amazing this school is because I don't think it gets enough credit for all it puts out. The student art shows are extravagant and just completely beautiful to the eye, a must when visiting MassArt! I love my school and although I've said it a lot, I truly mean it, with all my heart and deep within bleeding orange and purple every day!

Jacob

MassArt is a pretty nice school. Some major departments are more tailored to individual students than others, such as painting or SIM, while some of the larger majors tend to be a bit more broad range; As a vegan student on campus, the cafeterias aren't great for finding food. There are always vegetarian options available, though very frequently they involve cheese or butter. I have my own kitchen in my sophomore dorm, though, so it's not all bad. Food is my biggest qualm with the school, because otherwise I love being here.

Annalisa

The faculty is great, the community and people attending with me are interesting, dimensional people, good education for a small in-state tuition, lots of great equipment accessible to all students, awesome connections for after college, good school for my particular major.

Marisa

Massart has some good qualities and challenges students to create a better portfolio, learn new viewpoints, and improve their work overall. Most teachers are very helpful and care about student progress. However, it is an extremely liberal school and there are a lot of extra expenses when it comes to supplies and elective classes.

Demetri

MassArt is a great bargain if you're a resident of Massachusetts. Like most art schools, you really must be self motivated if you expect to gain anything substantial from it. That having been said if you put in 110% you are going to soar. Every professor I've had so far has been extremely competent and knowledgeable. Regarding the studio classes, if you demonstrate your total commitment to your artistic practice, your professors will take note and do everything in their power to mentor you and help you excel. Conversely, if you show up late and turn in work that merely fulfills — but does not exceed — requirements, you will likely stagnate.

Cydney

Compared to the university that I transferred from, Massart really takes the time to work with their students as individuals rather than a number. You really need to be open to sharing personal information during critiques in class. You really get a sense of an artistic community.

During my first year at Mass. Art I have had the fortunate experience of being taught by educated, experienced professors who are available to contact and meet with both over email or during scheduled office hours. At Mass. Art the food in the accessible Cafe's is good tasting, but not nutritious.

GeMeisha

It's a nice small college that is easy to commute to and has plenty of shops and restaurants close by. The teachers and classrooms are very useful and always open and available for the students. One of the downsides is that it is so small. While many people may find this appealing, I find it to be a bit cramped but overall it is a great school and affordable.

Noah

Having just completed my freshman foundation year at MassArt, I can say that I love my school. Not only is there a wide variety of personalities in the student body, but there are also professors who are welcoming, available, and genuinely interested in their students and their students' work. I have already formed close relationships with a few of my professors who have proven themselves to be understanding, respectful, helpful, and invested in giving myself and others the most in-depth and hands-on art education possible. The facilities available to us include a large library with many newer-model computers (goodbye, Internet Explorer!), a huge print lab with materials such as printable cloth and oversize printing, and studio space for more experienced students. Administration is friendly and helpful, emails are always responded to within 48 hours, and older students are a very helpful resource. There is a large LGBT+ presence, which contributes to an open, safe environment and atmostphere. MassArt offers a variety of clubs and organizations for all interests, and the creation of a new club is simple and a relatively quick process--finding members is not hard! Classes tend to include 12-20 students, which makes for an in-depth critique of student work while maintaining a more intimate and individualized approach for one-on-one professor and student interaction. Different majors overlap, giving students a change to work with new techniques and materials not limited to their major. This school is a second home to me, with much to look forward to!

It's a good school and I would definitely recommend applying if you like a fast paced environment that's located in the city. But when I say it's fact paced I mean it's VERY fast paced and can sometimes be hard to keep up with. The staff also doesn't really know one another and there seems to be a lack of communication between departments.

Massachusetts College of Art and Design gives its students amazing opportunities in an urban environment. Boston has a beautiful setting and history that help the student become more comfortable in a big city like Boston. Let alone the fact that Massachusetts College of Art of Design is part of the colleges of Fenway creates, even more, opportunities for its students. From the endless majors rooted in the arts to the array of different food in the area, MassArt has their way with leaving students speechless and ready for the school year! Boston is filled with culture and history giving the students not only a phenomenal school but community as well, giving them sites to see and places to go such as Fenway Park multiple science and art museums.

Melina

Though the administration has had its hiccups, overall I've had a lovely experience and the people and professors I've met had made a huge difference in my education. We are always available for each other, and I've found connections in the city through professors and supervisors I most certainly would not have on my own.

Sophie

Amazing, I would recommend it not only for its price but also opportunities and quality. I have never felt so welcome or supported at a school before. I made friends easily and had great professional relationships with my professors. I learned and grew more in one semester at MassArt than in all 4 years of highschool.

Alice

Mass Art is a school where one needs to take charge of your future and build it how you want to. All the resources are available, but one needs to have the drive to achieve their goal. The wide range of majors, available work shops, and being in Boston are just a few of the resources Mass Art has to offer.

Katiana

MassArt is presented as the sort of place where creatives of all backgrounds and cultures can exist and learn together harmoniously. For the most part, it is just that. This is the kind of college where liberal arts often come second to the creative process, must to the dismay of the professors teaching required courses. The community is strong and the dedication from the faculty and staff is even more so. With new groups forming each semester, and others often passing the leadership around as workloads change and shift, I've found there is always something new to learn and participate in. My personal experience has proved that the culture around mental health could use more attention, but the Counseling Center does everything in their power to keep up with the constant demands of the students. Overall, I think it is a fantastic place if you are hoping to learn the ins and outs of visual art/ design, how to live in a city as bustling as Boston, and how to navigate a world that is more often than not formulated around you not being successful.