North Adams, MA
Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts

Sara

I would have to describe my school as an eye opener because I have learned to be more independent and self sufficient.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that college is a lot of work. College expectations are much higher than at Lee High School. I would need to learn how to manage my time, keep excellent notes, and be involved with as many things as I possibly can. I should apply to several colleges? because students don?t always get accepted to the college of their choice. Now that I am a senior and planning on college I should make sure to have college prep courses in my schedule. It's up to me to get good grades and stay away from drugs and alcohol. I must get plenty of rest, have an open mind, and maybe even join a gym. It's important to learn to be fair, make good friends, and seek advice when I need it. I shouldn?t depend on anyone else but myself and do the best work I possibly can.

When I tell my friends about attending MCLA I like to talk about the campus. I feel so welcome there and it's like my second home. The professors are very nice and they take the time to get to know you as a person not just another student in thier classroom. My professors were very helpful, understanding, and willing to work with me. I love the fact that the campus isn't over whelming with too many students, and classroomes are nearby. I have made a lot of friends and would highly recomend this school to others.

Katherine

My college is very small. However, we have strong programs in the education, English, psychology, and fine/performing arts. The school my be in the smallest city in the state, but the campus is not cut-off from the world. The area has a lot of art museums and galleries--there's always something going around in town and on campus, which helps foster a good community at the school.

Don't be afraid of anything. It's okay to be nervous--after all, going to college for the first time is a nerve-wracking experience. But there is no excuse for letting fear stop you from preparing yourself for this new chapter in your life. Ask the right questions, learn the campus rules and policies, and have the courage to walk up to a professor you think you might like to have a class with and introduce yourself (without your parents holding you hands). Be proactive in attaining as much information as you need to feel comfortable at your new home before you leave for campus at the end of the summer. The connections you form at open house events and overnight orientation sessions will help you make the best of your first, and toughest, semester at college. Oh, and remember to call your parents every few weeks--you're still your mother's child, no matter how old and free you feel.

Honestly, our dining services. Breakfast and lunch are overpriced and students do not have the ability to opt out of their meal plan. The company that runs our dining hall is corrupt and provides a lot of unhealthy food and very little variety.

Kelsey

My school is best known for its theater and psychology programs, its small size, and its caring professors. You don't slip through the cracks. You know everybody.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself how integral harnessing your independence is, how managing your time can make or break your experience, that you will meet a lot of interesting people and make the greatest friends. You're an adult, and you must choose which values you want to stick by, nobody else. Use your downtime wisely, keep in touch with home, don't be afraid to break out of your shell and meet other people. Explore the town more. Pay attention early in the semester, or it'll come back to haunt you later. Don't spend all of your time on Facebook; it's a terrible addiction and a great tool for procrastination. Forgive yourself. for the little things. Try activities that seem out of your usual style. Talk to people you normally wouldn't. Smile even when it's difficult. Laugh. Don't eat the chicken marsala.

The most frustrating aspect would have to be its distance from civilization. It's approximately 20 miles away from a highway. It's also a known party school, but there is usually a lot to do on campus, if that's not your scene.

A friendly school that feels like home with a beautiful campus, tons of activities and clubs and small classes so that you have to ability to get extra help to furthur your education.

The best thing to do when looking for schools is to go visit the campus. Sure, you can look at pictures and think that it's a nice place to further your education, but you can't beat the feeling of visiting. That way you will know your way around and will be able to see every aspect of the campus. Usually the college will send you housing papers over the summer telling you who your roommate will be. I suggest finding them on facebook or even calling them so that you feel like you at least know one person before you move in, and it also helps so the two of you don't bring doubles of anything. Get involved on campus, especially as an incoming freshman because this will you help you find a bunch of friends with common interests. The best advice I can give to someone going to college for the first time is try everything once. College goes by so fast and you don't realize it until you're a Junior, like me. These are the best years of your life; don't let them pass you by.

Nothing. I came and visited to school multiple times before applying so I feel like I knew everything there was to know before I even came here and that feeling hasn't changed yet.

Nathan

There's a strong community and a healthy learning environment. The faculty is interested in your education but the school seems a little more centered on a social basis than educational.

Cheap and easy to get into. They'll accept almost anybody. The school allows for a close-knit community.

MLCA is great for a general education. The school seems at times to focus mostly on a social environment, but education is still important. Some of the teachers don't really seem to know much about their subject, but really want to help. If you're really set on a specific area of study, this is not the school for you. The curriculum is really based on a general area of study.

Robert

This school is extremely friendly and fun, anyone can fit in here.

This school is extremely friendly and fun, anyone can fit in here.

If I could give any advice to parents and students on finding the right college and making the most of a college experience, I would highly suggest that they tour as many campuses as they possibly can and see firsthand what the college is like. I have gone to two different colleges and it is amazing to see that students were completely unaware of how college life would turn out. Experiencing a college campus first hand should be the first step in choosing a college and understanding what life will be like there. If the parents and students tour a few campuses and engage the various college personnal, I am sure that their college experience will be fantastic.

I wish I had investigated the layout of the school more and had a better idea of what classes I would need to take for my major.

Ryan

My school has visiting lecturers (Bob Woodward, Marianne Pearl) who can actually meet the students on a personal basis because of the size of the student body.

Do not necessarily look for schools that reflectyour major. Look for schools that reflect you, because, no matter how good a school's English or science or anthropology program is, it will not mean anything if you are not happy.

Both the visiting lecturers and the amount of personal attention you can get from teachers in any department.

Kate

Friendly, but not overly inteligent.

Friendly, but not overly inteligent.

Apply to as many colleges you want, and really really think about every aspect of the school before you decide to go someplace.

The lack of career/grad-school placement post-graduation.

Tim

Public school with a private atmosphere.

Public school with a private atmosphere.

The most important thing when choosing a college is to look at all aspects of your future, and base your decision on that. Firstly, you have to know what you're interested in academically. Then you should know your hobbies, including sports. Once you know this, decide the size of the school, and then the number of students and whether you feel that you learn better in smaller classrooms or bigger ones. Then you should look at the price if it concerns your budget. Then you should look at whether or not you'll be comfortable with the enthic backgrounds of the people and the surrounding area. Also figure out if it is too difficult to get to the school. Lastly, you should find the school that closest fits you, and sometimes even if it doesn't sound like your best option, it just might be.

I wish I knew what the school looked like in person prior to going. I didn't go to a tour, so it was an "on the fly" thing.

Natasha

Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts is best known for its small size housing so many open-minded and enthusiastic students. Our campus is small and compact, and our classrooms allow for a more desirable teacher:student ratio than most other state colleges. I fully believe that the knowledge and experience students leave MCLA with can only prepare them for better fulfilling their goals in life, and this is something every other college should be jealous of.

My advice to parents in regards to finding the 'right' college is to allow their children to make the decision for themselves based on how a visit to the campus makes them feel. I strongly believe that picking the right college all depends on a students initial reaction to it, so every parent should make an effort to shuttle their children around to every college that poses an interest. Picking a college can be one of the most important things, and keep in mind that big name colleges and universities does not guarantee a successful career. Your child has to be happy and comfortable at a college in order for it to be beneficial. The advice that I would give to students, apart from what I have said to their parents, is to do as much research as possible. Make sure you have options with your education and that there are plenty of extracurricular activities to keep you busy and stress free. In order to make the most of your college experience you need to get out on campus and enjoy it, both academically and socially, so be ready!

I wish I had known to pack heavier clothing! That is honestly the only regret that comes to mind when I see this question. The climate is different from the city, and I should have expected that I would soon become accustomed to living around a great deal of nature and experiencing the natural beauty of the Berkshires. Being involved in the outdoors previously in life would have better suited me for the change in geography.

Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.