Cambridge, MA
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Michelle

MIT is the best school in the world. There are so many opportunities and resources to find internships, jobs, and research. I am constantly surrounded by some of the most intelligent and motivated people. It is very easy to follow your passion here, as there always be something related to your interests. I would not trade this school for anything else.

Junyu

Overall, MIT is the kind of school where you wake up at every morning and feel excited about your college choices. As per its reputation, MIT does have stellar academics. The professors and teaching assistants teach extremely comprehensive curricula and fill their lectures with demonstrations and real-life examples to keep the material pertinent and interesting. The student are very academically focused and value their classes, leading to very interesting conversations. However, MIT is not a one trick pony, where all its students study and live in a bubble. For one, many of the students conduct research at labs and thus stay current. One of the main reasons I chose MIT was because it offered research opportunities through the school year (as opposed to schools where research is mainly offered during the summer, making projects difficult to finish), and I am very interested in chemistry research. From my experiences and those of peers, it is decently easy to find professors who are willing to mentor and take on students in their labs. Unlike large state universities where it is hard to find opportunities as a freshman or sophomore, many professors are willing to take on younger students even if those students do not have a slew of published papers and years of work experience behind them. This is extremely beneficial, since otherwise it would be difficult to begin researching. Of course, the process varies; as for me, I sent an email with my resume and met up with a professor before interning in his lab. Additionally, it is possible get direct funding from the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program, and so get paid for your hours. But in terms of academically-pure extracurriculars (for the most part), there are a lot of activities, ranging from the arts to sports to theater. The good thing about going to a school not famous for its athletics is that it is extremely easy to try out new sports and get involved on teams, even if you are a complete novice. A lot of the teams are willing to teach you and guide you along instead of requiring you to enter as an expert. Some of my friends, who have no dancing experience, participate in Dance Troupe or the Ballroom Dance Team. I've never shot anything other than a water gun before, but now I shoot with the archery club. That is not to say that these clubs are terrible at what they do; it's just that they spend a lot effort on recruiting and training interested students and end up with results to show for it. Funding is also decently accessible if you want to start your own group or organization. Student life, for the most part, also goes smoothly. Each of the dorms vary in culture and amenities (some dorms have subpar bathrooms or a lack of heating), so the exact experience varies. I picked a dorm with great amenities and without a strong line of tradition (since it started accepting students only a few years ago), so my experience has been that the dorms are clean, spacious studying environments with tight-knit and friendly floor interactions. The dining halls are all right. Some dorms come with one, and some don't ("cook-for-yourself" communities). The dining halls have a lot of variety and cycle through different types of cuisine daily, so you don't get sick of the food very quickly (I got sick of the general dining hall taste after 4 months, but it was not an extreme disgust, and I am on the full meal plan so I eat there every day). That being said, while most of the dining halls are wonderful, there have been incidents of food poisoning, and with the large volume of food that is being churned out every day, there are inevitably strange-tasting dishes. Students in general are willing to collaborate. Large "p-set parties" (problem set parties) of upwards of ten people are common especially during the day before the homework deadlines. Even if not everyone is extremely friendly, they will help you if you ask specific questions and have clearly already attempted the problem. In regards to students, there is a strong online community, as huge chunks of the school get together for school pages such as "MIT Confessions" or "MIT Memes". Boston itself is also a bustling location, being a tourist city and so close to the beach. There is a lot to see and do, in terms of shopping, nightlife, Harvard, and water sports, although I personally find the food somewhat lacking. But then again, I come from Southern California, where eating is a big deal, so I am definitely biased. Surprisingly, MIT has a strong reputation for partying among the college students. There are sometimes party on weekdays, and many of the weekends, and almost all of the well-frequented ones involve some sort of alcohol. Yes, people drink underage, but there are non-alcoholic gatherings and it is easy to avoid drinking if you want to. I for one have not witnessed anyone actually drinking or consumed alcohol myself. On that note, many of the students are in fraternities and sororities, but it is perfectly acceptable to not partake in one. As I missed sorority recruitment, I cannot testify to the Greek experience other than that these organizations do not involve extreme hazing rituals or espouse unhealthy ideas. Sororities in particular function as close communities of emotional support and friends, and so I plan to join one next year. The biggest downsides to MIT is the stress. It's not like we spend more time in a classroom than most college students, but the classes can go very quickly through their curricula and cover a lot of difficult topics. (For instance, freshman mechanics goes through a chapter every week and a half, and the material is difficult and complex.) Topped with weekly problem sets (which can take from a few hours to the better part of a day to complete), finishing all the work without losing sleep is very difficult some weeks. I sometimes skip activities to get all of it done. Fortunately, most students only take four to six classes. Because so many of the students are insanely intelligent, grasping difficult concepts and receiving great offers at job fairs, people are prone to getting stressed over their own prospects. Although it might be too early to say, I wholeheartedly support my past decision to attend MIT. I looked for an intellectually stimulating school with kindred spirits, and I found it. There is an acronym that truly represents MIT: "IHTFP". As the years proceed, its meaning oscillates between "I have truly found paradise", and "I hate this freaking place". Despite the stress behind schoolwork and balancing other activities, at the end of the day, MIT remains a close knit community that never fails to excite.

Student community is legendary! Living here among other the MIT undergrads is an amazing experience in and of itself. For what is probably the first time in your life, everyone around you is either as smart as or smarter than you are. It is truly remarkable. Besides the fact that at long last, people find math jokes funny, you’ll be enriched by the variety of experiences that everyone has to offer. I found out two weeks ago that a friend living a floor above me is a National Spelling Bee champion and also won Teen Jeopardy. Many of you are known as “the smart kid” in your high school. At MIT, that changes in a good way. Because being smart is one trait everyone has in common, people will get to know you for your other traits and those things that make you unique and awesome.

Sina

Its vey nive . I cnnjsjbfbxis dhe d h e dje. Dhe. Suse eisiwge d susbevtww dhebeiqjsv euwbeve shenevehqnwveeyebe. Eehene eu eehe ehe eehe eh er je eehbe rhe d ehe eheheve she eehenevrhwe dhenevehge ehebevew ehe e eheveehue d ejegev ehene eue eeuehee eje

Gabriel

MIT is an awesome place!

MIT Review

MIT is an awesome place!

Patrick

Even though MIT offers world-class education like many top tier schools, this is only one side of the school's character. The true value of the institute lies in the opportunities it provides for students to come together to do amazing things. It offers the most expansive and in-depth array of research projects for undergraduates, and provides research for students to create on their own. MIT is very diverse and accepting of new ideas, which lets even freshmen participate in groundbreaking work.

I don't think the schoolwork in college was much harder than I expected it to be. However, I would definitely advise myself to be more open in the beginning of the year and worry more about making friends than about making sure my room was neat or that my room had the best view. The social life is a huge part of college just as it was in high school, and the first few weeks go by fast enough that you should be worried mainly about getting to know people and making new friends.

Aside from its spectacular location (a fifteen minute walk from the heart of Boston), my friends are most amazed by some of the work my professors have done (my chemistry professor won a Nobel Prize in 2005 for his work on a process called olefin metathesis, which he explained in class). I like to talk about all the ways I will be exposed to cutting edge research and even help to author academic papers at a relatively young age. It's all very exciting, really.

Jaguar

My classmates at MIT are very focused, academically driven, and have incredible work ethics.

"Look at this; my hands are shaking. Honestly, I'm terrified to stand up here, but that's one of the reasons I am. I have to jump on this rock. We're all lifting eachother up by our own bootstraps. Look around you, it's amazing what humans have done and are capable of doing in the years to come. You can be more effective, more productive, more inspired, by giving constructive criticism and positive comments to yourself and everyone around you (your elders, teachers, friends, family, mentees). Don't hurt yourself by comparing yourself to others. Analyze what you admire in people, and strive to enhance that part of you. I am bits and pieces of other people, bits and pieces of not people, and bits and pieces of things bits and pieces of people and not people learned from bits and pieces of other people made from bits and pieces of... both figuratively and literally. Think about it... Good luck with your applications and last few months"... I look over to Mr. Roman and he nods approvingly with large smile.

Sometimes I don't have enough time to think, because I'm always working.

Carlos

Having gone through two years of college, I often find myself thinking about how I would do things differently were I to get a chance to relive those years. If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would first tell myself to use as much of my time as possible to utilize the opportunities available to me in college. During my two years I have taken advantage of many opportunities I only have here, such as a program to prepare for and obtain a summer internship and a program to visit South Africa. But I have also missed out on other opportunities, such as to be more involved in clubs, try out for varsity sports, talk more with my professors, etc. I would therefore tell myself to always be on the lookout for such opportunities, because oftentimes they only come around once. The other piece of advise would be to prepare more for the transition to college. My first semester was difficult, as I had previously not needed to study much in high school and thus struggled with my coursework. I would tell myself to learn different techniques for studying and to be prepared for it.

One side effect of attending this school that can have negative repercussions is that time can become only a resource. By that I mean that attending school here makes you want to use every bit of time you have to be productive. If you are not using your time to take a class, study, participate in an extracurricular club or program, etc., others may view you as not using time wisely or even wasting it. It can eventually become internalized, where you don't feel right unless you are being productive all the time.

Most people who attend this school are very technically driven. Most are very interested in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics and want to pursue careers in either industry or academia. Most are in the top percentages of their high school classes and spend much of their time in extracurricular activities, whether it is in volunteer work, varsity sports, music, etc. The main attribute of a student at this school is a personal drive to learn and make advancements in the field of his or her interest.

Danielle

Full range of personality type, high level of tolerance. There's a social group for everyone, but people tend to stay within social groups

You belong here. No matter how much you think you'll fail, and how much feels like the coursework and life in general are trying to break you, you will learn to build yourself back up. You will learn that you have ADHD, and it's not a disadvantage, but an explanation for why you've felt different for so long and it's the way that you'll come up with creative research ideas and develop your poetry. Your professors will be engaged by your natural curiosity and enthusiasm. Don't be embarassed. Start asking questions sooner. You're going to fail a few tests. And drop classes. You'll fail physics freshman year, and yes, you'll cry. But it won't go on your record, and you'll learn to work more, better, and harder than you ever thought you could. You'll get As in some classes, Bs in others, and some Cs. You'll learn that your grades don't always reflect your understanding, and they're not as important as you think anyway. The admissions committee saw passion, potential, and perseverance in you. By the time you're done you'll see it too.

Research, the Boston/Cambridge area, intelligent professors and classmates, challenging classes, unique campus experience (hacking, etc.)

Massachusetts Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.