Cambridge, MA
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Be open minded. When you are visiting and exploring colleges, try to suspend any previous stereotypes you have. Try to sense how the place makes YOU feel. Can you envision yourself spending four of the most formative years of your life here based on your visit and the information you have at hand? Parents, let your kids explore what they are interested in, in addition to what you'd like to see from them. Sometimes the best fit is an uncanny one.

There are so many amazing people here.

Very academically oriented; collaborative rather than competitive; loves to learn; analytical thinker/problem solver; knows how to manage their time.

Nicholas

My classmates are amazing and well motivated toward sucecsss

My classmates are amazing and well motivated toward sucecsss

Visit each college to discover if that particular college will emphasize that which makes you grow. It is easy to get lost during high school but it should be pretty effortless to describe what form of instruction pleases you based on lecture situations. Either way, the Massachusettes Institute of Technology provides a top notch education in all forms. Just go to MIT if you get in - they teach you everything you could possibly learn for whatever subject you wish to speicialize in.

The breadth of opportunities offered to us after graduation regardless of prior job.

Tess

Go check it out! Lots of schools have programs which let high school students visit and experience the campus, stay in the dorms and maybe sit in on a few lectures.

The people. They're all a little crazy. The people you meet at MIT are the most original and intersting people in the world.

The level of responsibility that the faculty and staff give to the students. They treat us like adults and it makes us want to return the favor.

Cecilia

I didn?t find the right college. I visited twelve. At each of them, I shrugged, saying, ?Sure, I could go here.? I applied to nineteen. I managed to weed out the majority, but on Decision Day, I sat by the mailbox, holding two unmarked response cards. I chose challenge. I chose the school that would kill me, where I would struggle to be average, the school that had the fewest people like me. The fact that I chose MIT for its difficulty and pain was the single indication that I was a good match for it. I didn?t stop there. I am a MechE major who hates building things. First semester freshman year, I lived on a floor inhabited by conservative Muslim guys. The only official MIT exchange program is in England; I'm studying abroad in Paris. College is like marriage. You could be happy with several people, but you choose one, or he chooses you. Then you make dozens of decisions that affect your relationship. Choosing MIT was important, but subsequent decisions made my college experience. Close your eyes and pick a school. When you get there, take a risk. Learn something. Make mistakes. Bon courage!

MIT is impossible. It stretches you beyond all of your limits. You go for days without sleeping, you stare at numbers and equations until you lose your writing abilities and write, ?He once success,? you eat Chips Ahoy chewies in gross quantities at 3 a.m. When things go badly in a relationship, you can?t break down, because you have an exam to cram for. You laugh, sob, and scream in intervals in your delirium. But in the end, you build an engine, you love someone, you learn to weld, you make bad decisions, and you know yourself.

MIT is impossible. There's too much work. You spend hours upon hours slaving over a problem set, and when you finally hand it in, the professor hands you a new one. And there?s always something left to do. If, by some miracle, you don?t have any homework, there?s a meeting to organize, or an event to plan, or research to conduct. In the madness, you put your friends and family on the back burner. So then when the semester ends, you?re still behind, because you have to catch up with your loved ones.

Jesse

Be open to possibilities you may not have expected you'd be interested in. In the applications process, consider whether you're missing out on some option that you wrote off without good reason. Once on campus, do a little shopping; don't be content to do what you've always done - make sure to explore activities and classes that sound somewhat intriguing, even if you might not think of yourself as someone to be interested in them.

The atmosphere. The students are a nerdy bunch, and proud of it. They love to talk about science and math-related topics, but they still retain strong personalities - they are nerds, but not annoying geeks.

Anyone who isn't willing to work hard. MIT can be a lot of fun, but you also have to be able to consider some types of learning fun, and to force yourself to work sometimes instead of having fun. It also won't help if you need a lot of sleep.

Daniel

Enthusiastic academic geniuses.

Enthusiastic academic geniuses.

Gauge your interests carefully. Try not to choose money or prestige over quality and what the student is interested in, that is the most important factor. What do you want to do for the rest of your life, and will you enjoy it. Only once you figure that out and actually test out your interests will you truly know what is the best fit and consequently the best mode of action.

Julie

To students and parents looking for the right college, my advice is to find the perfect fit. Look at what your talents and goals are and choose the school that can enhance and develop these even more. When choosing a school, choose one that will change you and test your true capabilities, because this is the only way you will learn about yourself and about others. You will find many colleges that sound appealing, but don't be afraid to step into a challenging and inspiring environment. I did just that, and I could not be more grateful for MIT for providing me with so many opportunities. My classes were difficult and this challenge helped me to grow as a student and a person. I made goals and tried my hardest to achieve every aspiration. I have travelled the world to Zambia, India, and Nicaragua. Choose the school that fits you best and the world is open to every opportunity!

The opportunities to travel abroad and immerse myself in another culture and make sustainable changes is the best experience from MIT. I have travelled to Zambia, India, and Nicaragua and reaching out to another community was an amazing experience and I hope to continue doing this in the future.

There are so many opportunities available to MIT students. My classes have offered me the tools, knowledge, and confidence to go out in the world and apply my skills to better the lives of others. MIT has taught me that there is never a limit to the goals and achievements once can make.

Carmel

You should visit. Visit because only when you, yourself, with your own eyes and feet and ears, walk the halls and talk to the students-- please, for crying out loud talk to the students-- will you know if this is right for you. Come stay with a current student. Hang out with his friends, eat at his kitchen table, explore with him. Of course I can speak only for MIT. Here's the deal: I've been here for more than a year now and I know that it's not for everyone. The institvte can be cold, bleak, overwhelming like nothing else -- while I did my research and steeled myself for a demanding education, I did not anticipate the magnitude of the frustration students can feel here. But I chose the right place. I am happy here, and not because I am a masochist. I am happy because when I visited I could feel that this place, these people, are alive with an energy that is hard to put into words... I am surrounded by the greatest family away from home imaginable, made of unbelievably smart, fascinating, wonderful people. Together we can truly make it through anything. Please: visit.

The fact that you can choose where you live has created unbelievable communities at MIT. We are constantly battling the administration so that we can keep our communities: the people here are what make this school worth it to me. It is truly amazing to live and study and work with so many absurdly smart, collaborative, fascinating, strange, wonderful people.

There is so much work that it is hard sometimes to find the time to stop and evaluate the path down which you are tumbling. It can be difficult to recall when you last read a book for pleasure, or thought about something besides how much work you have before you can go to sleep. It is truly draining.

Jared

For Students: -Do your homework on potential colleges. Look at their websites, aggregator sites that review colleges based on your interests, ask teachers or guidance counselors for advice. -Visit schools that you find interesting, and ask questions! Try to engage with actual students on campus, to get a better feel for how life is like on campus. If a campus has an overnight visit program, do it! -Work on your applications early, and take your time on your essays. Try to be yourself! Schools want to know who you are as an individual, to best decide if you will be a good fit at the school. For Parents: -Let your son or daughter decide on their possible college choices! By all means, provide your wisdom and insight to aid in their assembling of a list, but do not try to force any choice on your child. -Help your son or daughter by taking them to visit schools. There is no better way to decide on whether or not a school is a good fit for your child than visiting the campus. While your child talks to students, check in with the financial aid office and admissions! Good luck!

Anyone that does not have an affinity for math, science, or engineering. Anyone that is not motivated to to work independently without constant urging from faculty or staff.

The constant, very intense pressure of the enormous workload becomes very frustrating, as there is often never time to breathe in between assignments and projects, even with a regular courseload.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.