Buzzards Bay, MA
Massachusetts Maritime Academy

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Massachusetts Maritime Academy

Aoife

If I could go back to my high school self and offer one piece of advice, I would tell myself to not worry so much. During the start of my senior year, a lot of my class mates had a solid list of the colleges that they were going to apply to. I did not have a clue where I wanted to go to college. I was very worried about whether or not I was going to make the right choice about where I was going to study. I never had a "top choice" and listening to my friends talk about theres made me regret spending more time touring different universities. What I've learned after my first year is that there is no shame in transfering if the college you choose did not work out. Your freshman year you mostly take general educational classes and those credits will transfer with you. Therefore you are not loosing much if you transfer, if anything you gain knowledge about yourself and how you deal with certain situations and which environment is the best for you.

I wish that someone had told me not to worry so much about the regiment and that it is very managble with a positive attitude.

That I will graduate and be able to get a job in the field that I studied. Also that I will not be in as much debt as my friends that are going to private universities.

Ditwan

I don't have an answer to this questuon because I do not start until next month.

Instead of working long hours and weeks making money a bigger priority, you should have woke up on time to make it to your first hour class, try harder and get help when you didn't understand the work, don't settle for the easier classes just to graduate push yourself to the limits because the education you learn in high school will help you get in a better place of study. Most of all when you start college pick your career and stay focus on your goals until its finish.

Since I have not started yet, the only answer I can truely give you, is the cost of it for out of region students. I Say this because its more than &10,000 more in tuition.

Andrew

I would tell myself to go to Mass Maritime Academy and stay disciplined with my school work. The academy will keep me away from trouble and on the right path to success. I would also tell myself to follow what you think is right and to think outside the box. Always keep an open mind and always have a great attitude toward life. Point out the positive traits in others as well as yourself to remind you how good you are and how great you can be. Law of Attraction.

A person that does not like to listen and follow orders from other people.

The only frustrating thing that I have gotten used to is getting up at 6:30AM every morning to go to morning formation.

Jake

parents, let your kids decide where they fit best the school you went to isnt always the best for them. this is their time to get out and experience being away from home and finding themselves. students, make the best of it, college will fly by dont be nervous to try new things and branch out. i go to a military academy and my time is flying, i never thought i would say it but it really has

my school offers more than any other in the country for jobs in our fields, especially for engineers. we are a small but well known school in the maritime industry and continue to excell during the economic crisis. we give up four years of college life to work hard but then get to party hard while everyone else is working after school

for some the fact that mass maritime is a military academy is bad. there is no college life at mma thats one of the things youll have to give up for four years.

Benjamin

Pick something you want to do and want to go to. Smaller campuses seem to be better for the learning side of things.

The small classes and amount of office hours the professors offer.

Someone who doesn't mind a militaristic lifestyle and likes what they are doing.

Jarad

MMA is very challenging because it is regimented and has a tuff course load, but the career opportunities after graduation are great.

Finding the right college is hard. Most kids do not even know what they want to major in even after being accepted to a college. The best way to find the "right" college for you is to talk to school counslers, friends, and family. Ask their advise on what college they would reccomend and why. Make sure to visit the college you apply to and learn about that college's campus life and job placement comming out of that college. When on a campus visit ask the students there what they think of the school. Also, in my opinion, doing an overnight at the colleges that you can't decide between sometimes can make the decision of what school to go to easier. In order to make the most of your college experience you have to study hard and take part in campus activities. It is very important to make friends in college, and being involved in on-campus activities will help you meet new people. The beginning of college can be hard, If you end up being unhappy with your college at first stick it out for the semester. You might end up loving your choice by the end.

I knew the demands of this school before I came here.

Ammar

Feels like you're in a prison constantly being observed.

Feels like you're in a prison constantly being observed.

Don't let your kids decided where to go. They need guidance and stability their first year.

Classes you need to take to graudate are quickly filled and only offered at certian times of the year.

brendan

Make sure the college you're applying to actually fits, meaning that you feel comfortable there. if you're an athlete then look at the facilities, if they aren't right, move on, find one that will fit better. Do what you want for a major, not what your parents tell you

the people in charge don't lead effectively

we have the best job placement, and the school is affordable

Brendan

This school is unique because Massachusetts Maritime Academy is a regimented school. This means that everyone has to wear uniforms, wake up at 0650 for morning formation to salute the flag, and conduct room inspections. Everyone must be freshly shaven, clean haircuts, and uniforms ironed. Orientation is almost like a two week boot camp so incoming students can be prepared for the regimented life style.

The advice that I would give parents are that to make sure your son or daughter really wants to attend the college they chose. I have a leadership position at my school and during orientation when we're training the incoming freshmen there are always a select few who are always having a hard time. We pull them aside to ask them whats wrong and why they came here and ninety percent of the time they say, "My parents made me come here". This is their future and shouldn't be decided by the parents. If your child does not want to go to a specific school, don't force them you will only make there college life extremely hard and unmanagable. For the students who want to maximize their college experience, do extra curricular activites. As incoming freshmen sometimes it is hard to transition and make new friends. Engaging i extracurricular activites will give you the chance to make new friends fast. Also really know what the school offers including minors, certain licenses, anything that will help you with your major. Take full advantage of what your school has to offer, if not you will regret it later on.

The kind of people that should not attend this school are people who are not motivated, lazy, and have a problem with athority. This school has a lot of rules and is a dry campus so students have to comply with strict rules and regulations. This school is not for people who like to sleep in, people who do not like showing up for every class, and people who do not like a lot of resposibility.

Massachusetts Maritime Academy administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.