Atlanta, GA
Morehouse College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Morehouse College

Dondrae

If given the opportunity to talk to my high school self, I would warn myself about the importance of applying for scholarships as early as possible. While I was a senior in high school, I lacked the enthusiam of preparing for college and instead spent the majority of time enjoying the festivities that arrive with being a high school senior. My lack of preperation and enthusiam resulted in me currently having to struggle to find creative ways to afford the ever growing cost of being a college student.

Prior to coming to Morehouse College, I wish I had known that Morehouse had good athletic teams because of my love of sports.

My school is the alumni of great African Americans such like Martin Luther King and Spike Lee. Another great thing I brag about is that the college is located near many other colleges.

Nicholas

From an academic standpoint I would have tried to take more AP courses. I was not fully aware that getting fours and fives on the AP exams could exempt you from general educations courses in college. I would have also put in more effort in high school by writing more papers. In college you write a solid amount of papers each semester. As a freshman at Morehouse College, my papers were not the best. I am the type of person that likes to get ahead in classes so I would have began to study different topics in my major the summer previous to freshman year. I've always had a pretty good outlook on life so I wasn't nervous to leave home for school, but the one thing I had a problem with was time management. Finding that balance between your social and academic life is very important. College teaches you many things that you will use for the rest of your life: time management, priorities, discipline, and balance.

The best thing about Morehouse College are the networking opportunites. There are so many fortune 500 companies, career expo's and job fairs that come and take place at Morehouse College that is it almosy unbelieveable. Each Department Chair in every major offered at Morehouse College consistently notifies their students about Graduate Programs, Medical Schools and Law Schools that are coming to visit as a means of keeping students on their toes by maintaining a professional image.

One who does not know how to balance his acadmeic and social lives. Those who place their social life above school and studies often end up having to leave. However, once you maintain that balance of academics and social life, you then find yourself in a comfortable enviornment where you may enjoy all of college's endeavors.

Jared

Morehouse College is an incubator for the development of African-American men who have a desire to provoke change in their given spheres of influence.

Dear Jared, As you prepare to graduate from Waddell High School and begin your matriculation through Morehouse College there are a few things to advise you about. First, do everything you can to get a 4.0 in the first and second semester. Don’t wait until you get into your major classes before you begin to take college seriously. Because your GPA will be cumulative over the course of the four years, it is imperative that you have a strong GPA in order to better position yourself for internship and job opportunities. Another thing that is essential to making the transition is researching and applying for every scholarship that you can possibly apply for. Don’t depend on your parents and students loans to cover all your costs. There will always be something else to pay for during your matriculation that a scholarship can assist in covering. Last but certainly not least, get involved on campus immediately! Getting involved in clubs and organizations is a great way to meet new people and network. You never know, getting involved could lead to job opportunities or even be a means by which you meet your future wife.

Morehouse College is very prestigious college with many notable alumni. When my friends begin to brag about their college football or basketball teams, I quickly remind them of the caliber of men that I am able to call my Morehouse brothers. Men such as Martin Luther King, Jr., Samuel L. Jackson, and Spike Lee, among many others have graduated from Morehouse College. There are many famous alumni who have had a significant impact of the country and world and it's always a great way to quiet those who like to brag on their school.

Ibrahiim

Tradition of producing well educated black men that will be able to make a positive impact on their communitites. It is also one of the best ranked historically black colleges in the nation.

Take the AP classes more seriously so that you can put yourself ahead. Make sure that you research scholarships more around your ethnicity and state of residence. Become more social with administarors and other students so that you can build a strong image on the campus.

I wish I had known about more available scholarships and programs that will help me pay for school.

Joshua

The best advice I could give myself is to always work hard and go above what is expected. As a senior in high school, I did not always think long term. I only thought about the moment and not what I really needed to do in order to properly prepare myself for college. Not only, did I need to apply myself academically, but also prepare for the responsibilities that come with being in college. College Professors do not want to hear excuses as to why you did not accomplish something on time. They only want you to be successful in the classroom so they expect you to respect their time and timelines for completion of assignments. Additional advice I would give myself is talk to adults about their occupations. Do research so you can understand what job opportunities are available in the world. If you take the time early on, you will save yourself time and money in the future by knowing what you want to do!

Ismail

If I could go back into my senior year and tell myself something, it would be to not slack in Pre-Calculus and to tell myself to convince my French teacher to drop the grade that killed my GPA at the last minute, which subsequently lost me about $20,000 in an academic scholarship by .1 GPA points.

Best thing is the community, because out of all of what Morehouse has to offer it's the only thing that people pretend to enjoy the most. They're very hyped about the brotherhood of it all deapite the on-campus crimes and thefts.

Daniel

Morehouse College is an academically rigorous school that developes a young adult into a well-rounded man that aspires to impact the world.

When I had graduated from high school I asked friends that had gone to the same college I was going to what it was like. They said, "You can do what you want and your parents aren't there". After they told me that I made up in my mind that I was going to have fun; so I did. Now that my first semester is done with I have learned how to say no to partying all the time and chasing after girls. I learned that the true reason I came to college was to get an education and be able to take care of myself in this world. Females and parties will always be there. If I could go back the advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be to focus and cut down on the partying and females because they'll always be there. Graduating on time is way more important.

I wish that I had known how much I really had to study in order to be academically succesful. Transitioning from high school to college the amount of studying required to get an A is different from high school. I thought the way one studied for a high school test would be the same as studying for a college test. I was wrong.

Jordan

My classmates are helpful and support the success of all students, not just themselves.

I would advise myself to establish a general, reachable goal and to not hesitate to achieve that goal. No matter what my objective may be, it is always good practice to assess my determination. My college experience so far has helped me realize that I am able to achieve anything I want to if I apply my self in a responsible way. Setting small goals for myself such as talking to my professors about grades and opportunities, joining a certain club, and performing community service are useful ways to stay productive. I noticed that I have developed a better capability of focusing by narrowing down my objectives each day. I would also advise myself to do everything with a self purpose in mind. In high school, I had maintained a habit of making choices in order to please my family, friends, and community. College has made me realize that disappointing others does not matter as much as disappointing myself. Therefore, I have made decisions that I know will benefit my persuit of a degree at Morehouse College. I have successfully learned to listen to myself before I let other people influence what I want to achieve.

Morehouse College is a positive learning environment that prepares young black males for successful lives. The institution specializes in transforming us young men into well balanced and well behaved men. Dr. Martin Luther King was a graduate of Morehouse College.

Anthony

Chaotic, diverse, challenging, depressing, and memorable is how I would describe Morehouse College.

I would simply say this: Cherish the good times, stay strong during the bad times, ask for help as often as needed, and pay attention to all the details you come across. Remember why you are there and do not let anything or anyone deter your focus. Keep in touch with friends, family, and the Counseling Resource Center often!

Someone who is lazy, self-centered, extrememly sensitive, short tempered, impatient, and not open minded will not progress very far/at all on the campus of Morehouse College.

Elliott

I am positive I would tell myself not to be afraid or shy about going to college. Morehouse is a big change from what I was used to at home, although it is the optimal environment for me to mature into an adult. I would tell myself that I should concentrate on learning in the classroom, but also try to venture out and explore things around campus. The things I have been exposed to have taught me more about the world as well as shed some light about myself that I was not aware of. The bottom line is that I would want myself as a high school senior to realize there is a great deal more he can become that will make the future even more lucrative.

My school is small and I allows teachers to have smaller class sizes. For me this is great because I am used to learning in this kind of environment. I also will be able to interact with my peers in class which may not have been the case if I went to a larger, public school.

There is so much to do, however I'm just not sure which clubs/organizations I really want to commit to. I even find myself confused about what career I want to pursue because everything seems so interesting.

Morehouse College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.