Highland Heights, KY
Northern Kentucky University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Kentucky University

abbie
I love NKU

I love NKU

NKU is a very diverse school, everyone is different and its the coolest thing ever. Its not like most universities everyone is super friendly and fun to be around. Always something to do after classes. The rec center is amazing!

ESTRA
MONEY PIT

MONEY PIT

None of the current employees in the student account or financial aid nor advising care about your financial status. They will take your money even if you dropped the class and they fail to explain practically 100% of how to maintain your money and not waste it. The student account services are so quick to charge you to their "payment plan" without revising your account or contacting you about the issue. NKU WILL TAKE EVERY DIME YOU HAVE SAVED UP. Summer classes are a terrible idea unless mommy and daddy are willing to pay tremendous amounts of money for lousy/vain classes. The only employees worth anything are the Professors, Part-time instructors and janitorial/concession workers. The rest are illiterate non-degree or associates degree students posing as your peers who do not have a clue. They waste your time, place you in pointless costly courses and offer no help for their mistakes. I've personally gone through six different advisors who contradict each other and belittle their judgements. Working with NKU's advisors and student services is like herding cats, IMPOSSIBLE!

Curtis
A Push in the Right Direction

A Push in the Right Direction

Before I came to NKU, I was a student through KCTCS. After some deep thought and consideration, I finally chose to come to NKU. From the other reviews I had noticed, Northern Kentucky seemed to be a great area to thrive in while still living in a smaller community. Everyone here seems to be very well rounded and can discuss just about any issue going on in today's society. This is only my first year with Northern Kentucky University, I can gladly say it won't be my last.

Jesse

I would tell myself to focus harder on my studies, because I can't slack off and still get straight 100s like I did in high school. Also, I would tell myself not to take a job at Wendy's because it is not worth it in the long run; I should focus on my studies while I am in college. If I did that my first year, I would have a perfect 4.0 GPA now, easily. I would tell myself that not to spend so much money on CDs, because I will need the money for medical emergencies. I would tell myself to always be willing to learn from other people. I would tell myself to eat less fast food. I would tell myself to enjoy the summer, because it is the best time of the year. Finally, I would tell myself to take it easy, not let my cynicism get the best of me, treat people right, and enjoy living and learning. College is the best place for both things.

A person who excels academically and takes their studying seriously beyond just wanting to have a successful career.

Alexandra

I feel like my school hasnt forgotten about the arts like most other non-art focused universities. Its nice to have student art around campus and for my artistic friends to share with me all the time they have to really work on what they love.

I would defnitely, definitely tell myself to learn how to study effeciently and to be more involved with extra cirriculars. I turn 20 in less than a month and I'm just now getting involved in activities (mostly athletic) that I would be great at now if I had interest in it in high school. I was one of those quiet, awkward, shy kids that stuck to myself and friends I had already been friends with for years. Not that I don't adore my friends now , it'd just be nice to be able to make new ones. With studying, I was always one of the smart kids who 'didn't need to study to get an A'. That completely changed in college because classes are much more rigorous and book orientated. I would definitely slap my past self for being so arrogant and sit her down and show her nifty study techniques (like not highlighting every sentence) and show her what to study in text books.

That i'm really able to schedule my classes on my own terms. I have an odd work schedule (2 12 hour nights per week) and I can schedule a good majority of classes in the evening or even choose to take a good amount of them online to accomodate my other schedules. Not a lot of science/health majors at other schools have that I feel.

Lori

Anyone can attend NKU, but it has been extremely helpful for me because of the amount of online courses available. I am able to obtain my Bachelor of Science degree while working full time and around my work schedule. So in my opinion, I think if someone is looking to obtain a degree but has a schedule that is not very flexible, NKU is a good college to look into.

As I said above, the amount of online courses available is what is best for me. I am able to obtain my B.S. in Health Science from my home and still continue to work full time and take care of my family. The advisors are great as well.

Donnise

Northern Kentucky has become a home to me. I love my school and the students and staff that attend and work there. Through the weekly news N3 I was able to find a small group that was perfect for me and instantly made me feel right at home. There is so much opportunity at Northern Kentucky and I appreciate that as well. They also provide resources to help you better yourself through free tutoring and support. What is my school known for? To me my school is known for patience, kindness, acceptance and integrity. Norse up!

To go back in time and mentor myself on college and the transition I would tell myself to not rush. Take a year off and travel. Research schools and see which one is the best fit for you. Research yourself and see which direction you want to go in. Do not go directly into school because everyone else is. Do not waste years of your life and money with uncertainty. When you begin school you have to be serious you have to study and you have to believe in yourself the easiest thing will be to quit. You must remember that you are a first generation student in your family and when you go to school and finish you will be changing history. Change it boldly and proudly. Do not dwell or wait on friends, boyfriends, and other relationships there will be plenty of time for that after college dwell on dreams, ambitions, and goals. The only difference between the people living their dream and the people not is that they never gave up. The world is yours go for it, and always shoot for the moon because at least then you will land among the stars.

The type of person that should attend this school is someone who is serious about school. An individual that is ready to stretch themselves and grow in every way possible. Northern Kentucky is for the individuals who know exactly what they want to do with their life and the individuals that are not so sure. Northern Kentucky is not for one person its for everyone. If you are looking for a school to help you through your education journey with great advisors, strong teachers and an amazing student body than Northern Kentucky University is for you.

Maria

Our school is known for educating students in order to find jobs right out of college. We are located right by Cincinnati and many other cities are within driving distance. There are plenty of jobs for NKU students to land.

The deadline has already passed but i would tell my high school self to try harder in school and on the ACT.

Someone who is really focused on their school work should attend Northern Kentucky University. There is not much of a social life unless they get involved with Greek Life.

Shania

Friendly and Encouraging

Friendly and Encouraging

I would tell myself to not be afraid to voice your opinon because it is worse to not share an idea than it is to share an idea and have it not be accepted. I would explain the quote that perfectly states "you could be the ripest, juciest peach in the world, but there is still going to be someone who hates peaches" and say that I am still worth it, I have a right to exist such as everyone else.

The non-organic options in the cafeteria as well as the lack of more sustainability awareness and resources such as rain barrels, solar energy and community gardens.

SiennaMarisa

Dear High School Self, Let the written word sweep you off your feet Lose yourself in the dim zebra pages of a tattered notebook Lose the invisible chains that thwart you from spectacular feats Let vicious vernacular transform you “You won’t make it.” Words will attempt to devour your soul Distort your image Destroy your spirit “College is a waste of time.” Words will becloud your once brilliant eyes Permeate your heart Pierce your fragile mind “Why not just get a job – be more useful?” You will struggle You will weep You will falter You will live “Must be nice to look down from that college throne.” Let the words that clenched your fists Inspire those around you Pave the road to your success Fortify your lovely soul Words cannot define you Words cannot defeat you Words cannot delete you College will be a lot of work, but you will make it through. You will be raped by a friend and want to escape. You will find solace through your grades, new friends, and myriad accomplishments. What happens to you and what is said to you will not break you down, but build you up. Great things await.

Considering NKU is LGBTQIA friendly, racially and religiously diverse, and does not favor any sex above another, I believe virtually any and every student should attend this school. The university tends to residential and commuter students and provides schedules for those with jobs and families. All professors put into consideration that their students have lives outside of school and may be experience difficult situations throughout the semesters. NKU provides an effective and healthy learning environment that any college student should consider attending NKU.

When telling my friends from other universities about Northern Kentucky University, I mention the myriad internship and co-op opportunities the university offers. I also mention how invested the professors are in their students' general wellbeing as well as their current and future success. Professors are excited to provide students with opportuinities that will help them get accepted into graduate schools, too. The overall student, faculty, and staff community at NKU is genuinely supportive and pro-active. The university takes many measures to ensure a solid education, regardless of the major, to every student.

Northern Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.