Northern Kentucky University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Northern Kentucky University

Aaron

The campus is very small & there are a large variety of majors to choose from. As a student at NKU's Chase College of Law, I do not know much about undergrad life, but do know about the law school. Chase professors are always available and are always willing to help you if you reach out to them.

Troy

You're gonna love NKU!

Logan

NKU isn't the most glamorous or prestigious school in the nation, but we have many intellectual and down-to-earth students. The professors genuinely care for the most part, and our campus is growing every day. New buildings are being added and renovated. It can only get better from here!

zoe

I love Northern Kentucky University. I had no idea what I wanted to do when I first started here, but through the classes offered and the knowledge available it couldn't of have been easier to decide. The atmosphere of the students is great, there is so much diversity everywhere you look. The campus is absolutely the beautiful and well kept. We recently built a new rec center which is the talk on campus. Its absolutely stunning and there is something for everyone. If you're looking for a club to join well we have over 200 organizations to meet anyone and everyone's interests. This college goes above and beyond for its students from the scholarships to academics and even to athletics no aspect is overlooked. The students here have voices more then I've ever seen. Its so nice to have a school that listens and takes action. When I have a problem or just a doubt I can easily have it resolved within the day. There are so many opportunities and options here that you can just dive right in. Its a upcoming school and in the next few years you'll wish you had been here sooner.

Neel

Northern Kentucky University is very good university and i like the campus is smoking free andsafe. Everyone isfriendly and co-operative. Facultiesare supportive. I feellike home. Best in the field of computer science and Information Technology.

Lindan

NKU is the best university in the US. Seriously!

Christiana

NKU wasn't my first choice. But on my tour of the campus I felt at home which is something I didn't feel at any other campuses I visited. My time here has been nothing but the best. Getting involved has opened many doors of opportunities for me. The faculty and staff care for you and invest their time in you. In my classes, the professors know me by name which is something I value. I've met some of my very best friends here-- the kind where you will keep in touch after college and well, forever. I can't believe that I'm already a junior and I don't want my undergraduate career to be over. I'm having too much fun. This feeling confirms that I have chosen the best place to pursue my undergraduate career. I can't see myself elsewhere.

Justin

NKU gives a lot of great opportunity for students of all ages. Over the past 10 years the campus has grown and given way for so much more than a commuter school. I attended NKU in 2004 as a fresh and there were no where near the same facilities and opportunities at my disposal. After returning in 2013 to finish my degree I was amazed to see the changes. There is a much more welcome feel to this school along with an inviting vibe that tells students they can hang out on campus, study, meet new people , and enjoy college life and not feel like they have to leave right after class. The atmosphere brings more desire for education and has increased the desire to attend NKU as well.

Haley

My overall opinion of Northern Kentucky University is that it is that it is my home away from home. It's not too big and it's not too small, both campus and class size. Also, although this school consists of a majority of commuter students and there isn't much to do around campus, being right next to Cincinnati is so much fun. There is always something going on down there. The athletics here aren't a priority for many students, but it's been rebuilding since NKU transitioned to D1 athletics. Lastly, the professors here are phenomenal. All the professors I have genuinely enjoy their job and the subjects that they teach. NKU has given me my "other family"....my Norse family.

Virendra

I am an international student here at NKU. And I like the campus pretty much given the facilities and services it provides to all of its students. It offers free tank services which you can avail to go to nearby cities and town. In addition, it also offers excellent academic programs at really nominal tuition and fee rates along with free recreational activities including gym, swimming pool, and access to many more games which makes it a good option for international students to join and pursue their further education.

ESTRA

None of the current employees in the student account or financial aid nor advising care about your financial status. They will take your money even if you dropped the class and they fail to explain practically 100% of how to maintain your money and not waste it. The student account services are so quick to charge you to their "payment plan" without revising your account or contacting you about the issue. NKU WILL TAKE EVERY DIME YOU HAVE SAVED UP. Summer classes are a terrible idea unless mommy and daddy are willing to pay tremendous amounts of money for lousy/vain classes. The only employees worth anything are the Professors, Part-time instructors and janitorial/concession workers. The rest are illiterate non-degree or associates degree students posing as your peers who do not have a clue. They waste your time, place you in pointless costly courses and offer no help for their mistakes. I've personally gone through six different advisors who contradict each other and belittle their judgements. Working with NKU's advisors and student services is like herding cats, IMPOSSIBLE!

Ella

Im really happy here and would recommend it. The campus is a pretty good size, but all the classes I've been in have had no more than 40 people. In classes like this the professor knows you by name, and can truly connect to the class.

Katelyn

Northern Kentucky University has made great strides over the past few years and is continuing to make "igniting your spark" even easier. As a commuter, I felt that by not living on campus I would be missing out on many opportunities; however, I feel welcomed and encouraged every time I step onto campus. The campus is always being updated/renovated, which can be stressful at times (especially when it comes to parking), but it has definitely created better resources for students. There is a wide variety of food options on campus, including a brand new Steak and Shake! What I love about NKU is the many events held on campus. There is always something going on and just about anyone can find their niche around here. Overall, I've had a positive experience both educationally and recreationally.

Blake

NKU is a great place to learn and the environment is extremely safe. The classes and housing are awesoe and fun. The students are very friendly.

Victoria

Overall, I really do like NKU. I am a girl coming from Lousiville, which is a big city! And Cincinnati is pretty close to NKU. At first, I was skeptical about attending NKU since I never really heard about it until my Senior year of Highschool. I only attended because it was further from my house than UofL and it was cheaper than University of Kentucky. The campus was smaller than was I was used to and the sports teams were as hype at the Cards (I am huge Louisville Cards fan) and we didn't even have a football team. But I grew warm to my surrounding, and made great friends!

abbie

NKU is a very diverse school, everyone is different and its the coolest thing ever. Its not like most universities everyone is super friendly and fun to be around. Always something to do after classes. The rec center is amazing!

Tiana

I have been going to school here for about four weeks now, I can't really say I love it because that can't be determined yet. But, I enjoy coming to school and being in class. All my professors have been very helpful and polite. The students here are somewhat friendly, and I have learned if you want to get involved you should really consider joining a fraternity or sorority. I am more interested in academics so I'm not in greek life or in any clubs. This school seems great and I can't wait to spend the next four years here.

Judy

NKU is overall a great school. Everyone is so welcoming-- students and professors. Class sizes are smaller, which is good. Campus is easy to navigate. The food could be better, but it is definitely not bad. There are so many different extra-curriculars to get involved in and you're always accepted. NKU is a great school!!

Allison

NKU is a smaller campus than most but that is absolutely a benefit. The class sizes are small and all my teachers know me by name and will stop and talk to me outside of class or are always available if I need extra help. I myself am in the chemistry program and it is excellent. We have free tutoring and help galore including STEM study sessions and practice tests. We're located 5 minutes outside Cincinnati which leads to so many opportunities for internships and jobs as well as entertainment. There are always events on campus whether it be a comedian, fundraisers, student festivals or even concerts at the BB&T arena.

Allison

I like it there. I have lived and eaten on campus since fall of 2015. The group of people i lived with all transferred for a multitude of reasons. Their housing is overpriced for the structural bare minimum. NKU is known as a commuter school; you can tell on the weekends if you live on campus. Our major sport (DI) is basketball as we don't have a football team, but the men have gotten better in the last several seasons.

Campus truly feels like a second home. There's nothing but support for you to follow your dreams and achieve great success!

Anna

When I first chose to go to NKU, I chose it because it was cheap. Fortunately, I fell in love. This college has taught me so much academically and about myself. I've grown here, met my best friends here, and made great connections with professors who honestly want to see me exceed. NKU has a lot more to offer than concrete buildings.

Spencer

This is a great school for someone is looking for a amazing small school. They make it very easy to find yourself here and be who you want to be. Class sizes are like normal high school size about 20-30. The professors are always there to help you.

Lily

I didn't want to go to NKU at first, but visiting the school definitely changed my decision. Everyone was so friendly and when I went I knew it was the right choice! It was like when people say "yes to the dress," you just know. After coming here I joined a sorority that got me super involved here on campus. I've gained so many leadership skills and was able to find my future bridesmaids here. Definitely come here and you get a lot of scholarship money!!!!

Dylan

Northern Kentucky University is my home away from home. I love this campus and everything about it, including it's cultural diversity, all of the friendly people, and how open and easy it is to get office hours for the professors or to even just start up a conversation with a professor. This campus even though it is my second semester is my home and I love it.

Brianna

I have two favorite parts of Northern Kentucky University; the small class sizes and the security I feel on campus. The small class sizes really help the student feel connected to the teacher and makes the student feel like "not just another face". I feel safe when I stay at the library all day and must walk back to my dorm at 2 am. I don't feel like there's always someone lurking in the shadows.

Alexus

Northern Kentucky university is my school. There is always something to do and really the only way you can be lonely or bored is if you don't leave your room. The academics are pretty challenging but their are plenty of resources to help. Also, like i said there is always something to do so just by leaving your room you will see flyers posted around campus or someone will likely walk up to you and tell you about an event happening that day/night.

Caitlyn

Northern Kentucky is a great environment. It's small amount of people attending makes it easy to se someone you know at leave twice a day. If you are looking for a place that is a tight knit community, NKU is for you!

As a transfer student, I was worried about fitting in. NKU has been everything and more!

Heather

Northern Kentucky University has its ups and downs overall. I've been in most of the buildings and have experienced both amazing and terrible teachers. Yet, overall, there's a lot of people who really care here and are willing to do anything for their students to help them achieve, especially in the School of the Arts. I don't regret going to this school and experiencing the classes and learning I have had, and can't wait to further my education here.

Curtis

Before I came to NKU, I was a student through KCTCS. After some deep thought and consideration, I finally chose to come to NKU. From the other reviews I had noticed, Northern Kentucky seemed to be a great area to thrive in while still living in a smaller community. Everyone here seems to be very well rounded and can discuss just about any issue going on in today's society. This is only my first year with Northern Kentucky University, I can gladly say it won't be my last.

Krystal

Smaller class sizes, professors really care about you, there isn't all that much to do unless you're in Greek life which isn't realistic for everyone. I love my major and most of the professors in my department are wonderful!

breanna

My opinion of Northern Kentucky University is it is an extremely friendly and safe environment! Looking forward to beginning my junior year inAugust 2016! Thankyou!

Beth

It is a great school! It's affordable & everything is easily accessed. I am an online student at the moment but it is just as easy to contact my professors & get acquainted as if I were on campus.

Alexia

Northern Kentucky Univerisity, were the Norse Nation is alive. Where the people are social, but stay in clicks. Where the opportunities are endless, but must be found. Where sports aren't big and recretianol sport is. Where the sorority life plays a huge role throughout. Where the faculty and staff push for your better education. Where the weekends are dull and boring. Where the activities are categorized and often aren't integrated. Where the food is good ,be the meals plans are complicated. Where the atmosphere is there for an amazing campus but you have to find your place there.

Kourtney

Northern Kentucky is a school of love and care. The teachers are very understanding and welcoming, making others feel secure and safe. The campus is very involved with many opportunities for everyone. It was an overall nice campus.

Chantelle

I believe Northern Kentucky University is an excellent University where student thrive both inside the classrooms and outside. Numerous organizations are available for students to join and if not students can create their own! Residents who stay on campus have a variety of resident halls to chose from and develop friendships through various activities. Like all colleges, Northern Kentucky University is a college who is growing and on the rise!

Dominique

Choosing to attend Northern Kentucky University has been one of the best decisions I made in life. NKU has so many programs that assist students with problems in areas such as finances, academics, childcare, and even peer to peer conflicts. NKU not only has programs set for students to succeed in many aspects, but also sets a diverse community. I appreciate diversity. I feel that with diversity we all can can broaden our minds and love to learn about other cultures. NKU sets the standard. There is even a restaurant in the cafeteria that serves culture specific food and changes each week. The advisors on campus are very helpful and encouraging. They guide you into seeing your path of success. When I step onto campus, I can feel in the atmosphere success, achievements and greatness, not just for me but for every NORSE and every future NORSE. I am looking forward in seeing where life will take me at Northern Kentucky University. Thank you NKU!

LaKeena

I love NKU because of the environment and the good vibes people give. You meet great people who are willing to help you. Facility and staff are alway available for you to answer questions. The campus makes you get involve and you gain a lot from joining the communities of NKU.

Amber

i think it is a beautiful school and i really enjoyed my experience visiting and i can't wait to start school there in the spring. Everything about Northern Kentucky University is all i ever wanted in a school. I love how friendly everyone is and how much support they give.

Heather

I love this university! It's a home away from home I never knew I could have! It's a private school feel for a public school cost.

Tiffany

I really enjoy NKU! Overall, it is a nice learning environment and it is easy to communicate with pretty much everyone. Everyone is so friendly it really doesn't make you feel like you are at school. The campus is not to big but also not to small. There are a few newer buildings and they are all very nice! For the academic portion of the school it is pretty nice how you register for class by seniority (senior's go first and freshman go last) but usually there are more then one section of the same class so the freshman can sometime get into the course that is needed for them also!

Kelly

NKU is a great school; everyone is friendly, the class sizes are small, the professors really care, and there is everything from Greek life to intense sports games too. There are also some great academic focused organizations, and it is almost impossible to not meet a friend for life here.

Blake

ACADEMICS: The professors at NKU are decent, they are willing to teach you instead of just lecturing. Class sizes are smaller for the most part so it is easier to get in touch with professors. The people at the advising center care about your standing and are very attentive. CAMPUS LIFE: There is none. The campus is ugly because the buildings are concrete, so the campus nickname is the "Concrete Jungle." The enrollment is 15,000 but only 2,000 commute which results in campus being dead and not much going on. School spirit is rare and there's no student involvement; a lot of that is because of all the commuters. About 90% of people that go to NKU have UK and UofL in their blood. It's also hard to find someone at NKU that actually likes it outside of the greeks. Ask the majority of people why they go to NKU and they'll tell you it's because it's cheap and close. Overall, the life at NKU is comparable to a community college. NKU doesn't have a football team, but the basketball team made the tourney this year. Outside of that, very little going for them in the athletic department. LOCATION: The location is ideal, about five minutes from downtown Cincinnati. On campus and in the immediate surroundings you'll find very little to do, but once you get down to Newport and Cincy you'll eventually find something. REPUTATION: Outside of the Greater Cincinnati area, hardly anyone has heard of this place. The place has no reputation and no prestige outside of the area. PARTY SCENE: Does not exist. There is one bar by campus and an Applebee's. Other than that, you have to go to Cincinnati to drink. NKU is a dry campus and there's no football, so there's no chance to tailgate except for the homecoming basketball game. The Greek life here is laughable. There's no frat or sorority houses, so frats throw venue parties downtown where you have to take a bus and pay $20 to get in, and the 21 to drink rule is in effect. If you're from the Greater Cincinnati area and just want to commute to class and go home, this place is for you. Otherwise, stay far away.

Isabella

NKU is and always will be the perfect school for me personally. At the moment, there are many improvements being made to the buildings on campus, constantly ensuring that the school is up to modern standards. Our school is young but improving quickly and I can say in all honesty that I have never met a bad person in my time there. That's not to say they don't exist, however, they are few and far between so you're not likely to run into any problems. Our class sizes are small but not so small that you must bear the weight of the material all on your own. Perhaps my favorite aspect of NKU is simply its location. We are quite literally just a few minutes from Cincinnati, meaning there is never a shortage of things to do and fun to have.

brynn

Northern Kentucky University isn't the best university out there, but it certainly isn't the worst. The library is out of date and there is never enough study space in any building including the library. There also aren't many extra circular activities to be involved in, so the student body has no unification. There are some great professors who go out of their way to help you- I've gotten more advice from professors than from my advisors when it comes to scheduling and involvement.

Kevin

It's a safe school and it's always a nice place to be at.

Isabel

The faculty seems to care. They listened when I had a question. All the staff and current students seemed friendly and approachable. Nice campus. Not too big, I really liked the bike share program. You can check out a free bike for 2 hours with an app. I plan on atendeing this fall. My advisor made me fee at ease and that she would help me whenever I needed it. I feel like NKU is the best place for me.

Kathryn

I was always told crazy stories about college and how your professors don't care about you or if you're not involved you won't know anything, but I can proudly say that after my first year of college, none of that is true! Of course, it's always great to get involved in clubs and organizations but everyone is so friendly on campus, it's super easy to make friends in all classes. Also it's a complete myth that professors don't care about you at NKU because they definitely do! My professors make it their mission to have their students succeed by providing us with extra help when needed, office times to visit them, and millions of accessible resources in the classroom and on campus. I wouldn't want to experience college anywhere else!

The campus is in a prime location logistically. Why is that important? Well, simply, it gives many opportunities. To the north is Cincinnati, which is a city that boast industries like Proctor and Gamble and General Electric. Throughout the year, NKU hosts these companies to do lectures and in-services for their students. It opens the door for employment and internships with major corporations. If Healthcare is your thing, NKU has outstanding program. As I am a nursing student, I was worried that I might not get the same experiences because I didn't belong to a major research university that was attached to a magnet hospital. NKU's reputation has afforded them access to do clinical rounds at Children's Hospital (the best children's hospital in the world) and UC.