Highland Heights, KY
Northern Kentucky University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Kentucky University

Alexandra

I feel like my school hasnt forgotten about the arts like most other non-art focused universities. Its nice to have student art around campus and for my artistic friends to share with me all the time they have to really work on what they love.

I would defnitely, definitely tell myself to learn how to study effeciently and to be more involved with extra cirriculars. I turn 20 in less than a month and I'm just now getting involved in activities (mostly athletic) that I would be great at now if I had interest in it in high school. I was one of those quiet, awkward, shy kids that stuck to myself and friends I had already been friends with for years. Not that I don't adore my friends now , it'd just be nice to be able to make new ones. With studying, I was always one of the smart kids who 'didn't need to study to get an A'. That completely changed in college because classes are much more rigorous and book orientated. I would definitely slap my past self for being so arrogant and sit her down and show her nifty study techniques (like not highlighting every sentence) and show her what to study in text books.

That i'm really able to schedule my classes on my own terms. I have an odd work schedule (2 12 hour nights per week) and I can schedule a good majority of classes in the evening or even choose to take a good amount of them online to accomodate my other schedules. Not a lot of science/health majors at other schools have that I feel.

Lori

Anyone can attend NKU, but it has been extremely helpful for me because of the amount of online courses available. I am able to obtain my Bachelor of Science degree while working full time and around my work schedule. So in my opinion, I think if someone is looking to obtain a degree but has a schedule that is not very flexible, NKU is a good college to look into.

As I said above, the amount of online courses available is what is best for me. I am able to obtain my B.S. in Health Science from my home and still continue to work full time and take care of my family. The advisors are great as well.

Donnise

Northern Kentucky has become a home to me. I love my school and the students and staff that attend and work there. Through the weekly news N3 I was able to find a small group that was perfect for me and instantly made me feel right at home. There is so much opportunity at Northern Kentucky and I appreciate that as well. They also provide resources to help you better yourself through free tutoring and support. What is my school known for? To me my school is known for patience, kindness, acceptance and integrity. Norse up!

To go back in time and mentor myself on college and the transition I would tell myself to not rush. Take a year off and travel. Research schools and see which one is the best fit for you. Research yourself and see which direction you want to go in. Do not go directly into school because everyone else is. Do not waste years of your life and money with uncertainty. When you begin school you have to be serious you have to study and you have to believe in yourself the easiest thing will be to quit. You must remember that you are a first generation student in your family and when you go to school and finish you will be changing history. Change it boldly and proudly. Do not dwell or wait on friends, boyfriends, and other relationships there will be plenty of time for that after college dwell on dreams, ambitions, and goals. The only difference between the people living their dream and the people not is that they never gave up. The world is yours go for it, and always shoot for the moon because at least then you will land among the stars.

The type of person that should attend this school is someone who is serious about school. An individual that is ready to stretch themselves and grow in every way possible. Northern Kentucky is for the individuals who know exactly what they want to do with their life and the individuals that are not so sure. Northern Kentucky is not for one person its for everyone. If you are looking for a school to help you through your education journey with great advisors, strong teachers and an amazing student body than Northern Kentucky University is for you.

Maria

Our school is known for educating students in order to find jobs right out of college. We are located right by Cincinnati and many other cities are within driving distance. There are plenty of jobs for NKU students to land.

The deadline has already passed but i would tell my high school self to try harder in school and on the ACT.

Someone who is really focused on their school work should attend Northern Kentucky University. There is not much of a social life unless they get involved with Greek Life.

Shania

Friendly and Encouraging

Friendly and Encouraging

I would tell myself to not be afraid to voice your opinon because it is worse to not share an idea than it is to share an idea and have it not be accepted. I would explain the quote that perfectly states "you could be the ripest, juciest peach in the world, but there is still going to be someone who hates peaches" and say that I am still worth it, I have a right to exist such as everyone else.

The non-organic options in the cafeteria as well as the lack of more sustainability awareness and resources such as rain barrels, solar energy and community gardens.

SiennaMarisa

Dear High School Self, Let the written word sweep you off your feet Lose yourself in the dim zebra pages of a tattered notebook Lose the invisible chains that thwart you from spectacular feats Let vicious vernacular transform you “You won’t make it.” Words will attempt to devour your soul Distort your image Destroy your spirit “College is a waste of time.” Words will becloud your once brilliant eyes Permeate your heart Pierce your fragile mind “Why not just get a job – be more useful?” You will struggle You will weep You will falter You will live “Must be nice to look down from that college throne.” Let the words that clenched your fists Inspire those around you Pave the road to your success Fortify your lovely soul Words cannot define you Words cannot defeat you Words cannot delete you College will be a lot of work, but you will make it through. You will be raped by a friend and want to escape. You will find solace through your grades, new friends, and myriad accomplishments. What happens to you and what is said to you will not break you down, but build you up. Great things await.

Considering NKU is LGBTQIA friendly, racially and religiously diverse, and does not favor any sex above another, I believe virtually any and every student should attend this school. The university tends to residential and commuter students and provides schedules for those with jobs and families. All professors put into consideration that their students have lives outside of school and may be experience difficult situations throughout the semesters. NKU provides an effective and healthy learning environment that any college student should consider attending NKU.

When telling my friends from other universities about Northern Kentucky University, I mention the myriad internship and co-op opportunities the university offers. I also mention how invested the professors are in their students' general wellbeing as well as their current and future success. Professors are excited to provide students with opportuinities that will help them get accepted into graduate schools, too. The overall student, faculty, and staff community at NKU is genuinely supportive and pro-active. The university takes many measures to ensure a solid education, regardless of the major, to every student.

Kathryn

I have never felt more welcomed anywhere than at NKU: between the faculty, staff, and other students I always felt I had someone to help me and give me support throughout my college career.

When I'm in class, I always feel confident in my ability to speak up because I know that my classmates are just as motivated as I am and that we are all in this together and ready to help each other out.

You're going to be okay. I know that we are terrified of change and traveling five hours away from home feels like walking a tight rope without a safety net, but it's going to be great. You're going to meet some of the best people in the world and figure out who you are and what you like and want to do in the process. Don't be afraid to talk to people and get involved. College is a learning experience and I promise you that you'll learn so much: both in and out of the classroom. It's okay to be scared, but don't let that stop you from moving forward. Now take a deep breath, smile, and go apply for those scholarships that I know you've been putting off.

Elaine

Dear younger version, You do not have to settle for community college. Also, once you turn 26 you won’t need mom and dad’s financial info, but believe me it’s worth the hassle for the tuition assistance. The application process gets easier after a while and it won't be so overwhelming anymore. Buy yourself a file cabinet, it will really smooth out the transition process. Try, try, try to understand all the red tape, if you don't understand it, file it for later- see, I told you the file cabinet would come in handy. There will be times when you will be a walking zombie and it will shock you that you still managed to get a passing grade- that's normal. College kids are as lame as you thought, but you will never see them again, and if you do, you won't care. Everything you go through during this trying time will be for the better; it builds character- thanks grandma! As hard as it all was we still wouldn’t change a thing except go to NKU sooner. Lastly, there is no shame in taking a break. YOU GO GIRL!

The kind of person who should attend this shool would be me. I am in the second phase of college and ready for what life has to throw at me. I am resilient and not easily deterred. I am ready to finish and eager to keep going. I am in it to learn because my mind is insatiable.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school is someone who is not dedicated and isn't going for the right reasons. The right reasons being to better themselves through education and character building.

Asia

Asia Dozier January 27, 2015 My advice to my High School self would be to, don’t be so worried about the negative out comes of college and only focus on the good energy that freely flows around you, since I dealing with a lot of nonsense in high school, teen wondering the halls, or loitering in gym and even the bathrooms just to avoid class, I figured I was ready for High School, then I thought the same for college as well, until actually being in community college made me realize that it’s the same thing just a different class room and that most if not all professors cared little to none about dealing with students face to face. I’d tell my high school self to come out of my shell more and be much more open to asking for help, I admit even now I still sort of have some small issue with asking for help, but I’ve grown some and still are growing to be more open, I realized due to past events I realize my issue is with fearing failure. Fearing failure is a cycle I have and still am pulling away from

Monique

If I could go back to my high school self, I would tell myself to not waste time on the little things. Don't waste your time on parties, you should be studying. Don't waste money on unnecessary things such as clothes, instead you should be saving for college. Your senior year of high school should not be wasted. Take advantage of those AP courses (something I didn't do) because it will get you ahead and even save you money. Don't waste your brain knowledge the more you have to know, the more you hae to offer yourself as you go through college.

The most frustrating thing about going to school is the cost of going. For me, it feels like I'm working and scraping money just to get an education. I mean I understand that the professors need a salary, but does that mean, we as students have to suffer just to get the education that will help uS find a good job down the road. Also, for me it is the most annoying thing to hear that my mother makes "too much money," so my only option for school is loans. Will I ever be done with my debt?

One thing I wish I would have known before I came to NKU, would have to be that college is completely differant than high school. In high school it was so easy, you get easy A's. Most of the time you didn't work for the grade you recieved. On the other hand, college is the place that will make or break you. If you miss class or don't study. That's all on you. College is the place to tell you if you can make the cut in the real world.

Northern Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.