Highland Heights, KY
Northern Kentucky University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Kentucky University

Kathryn

I have never felt more welcomed anywhere than at NKU: between the faculty, staff, and other students I always felt I had someone to help me and give me support throughout my college career.

When I'm in class, I always feel confident in my ability to speak up because I know that my classmates are just as motivated as I am and that we are all in this together and ready to help each other out.

You're going to be okay. I know that we are terrified of change and traveling five hours away from home feels like walking a tight rope without a safety net, but it's going to be great. You're going to meet some of the best people in the world and figure out who you are and what you like and want to do in the process. Don't be afraid to talk to people and get involved. College is a learning experience and I promise you that you'll learn so much: both in and out of the classroom. It's okay to be scared, but don't let that stop you from moving forward. Now take a deep breath, smile, and go apply for those scholarships that I know you've been putting off.

Elaine

Dear younger version, You do not have to settle for community college. Also, once you turn 26 you won’t need mom and dad’s financial info, but believe me it’s worth the hassle for the tuition assistance. The application process gets easier after a while and it won't be so overwhelming anymore. Buy yourself a file cabinet, it will really smooth out the transition process. Try, try, try to understand all the red tape, if you don't understand it, file it for later- see, I told you the file cabinet would come in handy. There will be times when you will be a walking zombie and it will shock you that you still managed to get a passing grade- that's normal. College kids are as lame as you thought, but you will never see them again, and if you do, you won't care. Everything you go through during this trying time will be for the better; it builds character- thanks grandma! As hard as it all was we still wouldn’t change a thing except go to NKU sooner. Lastly, there is no shame in taking a break. YOU GO GIRL!

The kind of person who should attend this shool would be me. I am in the second phase of college and ready for what life has to throw at me. I am resilient and not easily deterred. I am ready to finish and eager to keep going. I am in it to learn because my mind is insatiable.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school is someone who is not dedicated and isn't going for the right reasons. The right reasons being to better themselves through education and character building.

Asia

Asia Dozier January 27, 2015 My advice to my High School self would be to, don’t be so worried about the negative out comes of college and only focus on the good energy that freely flows around you, since I dealing with a lot of nonsense in high school, teen wondering the halls, or loitering in gym and even the bathrooms just to avoid class, I figured I was ready for High School, then I thought the same for college as well, until actually being in community college made me realize that it’s the same thing just a different class room and that most if not all professors cared little to none about dealing with students face to face. I’d tell my high school self to come out of my shell more and be much more open to asking for help, I admit even now I still sort of have some small issue with asking for help, but I’ve grown some and still are growing to be more open, I realized due to past events I realize my issue is with fearing failure. Fearing failure is a cycle I have and still am pulling away from

Monique

If I could go back to my high school self, I would tell myself to not waste time on the little things. Don't waste your time on parties, you should be studying. Don't waste money on unnecessary things such as clothes, instead you should be saving for college. Your senior year of high school should not be wasted. Take advantage of those AP courses (something I didn't do) because it will get you ahead and even save you money. Don't waste your brain knowledge the more you have to know, the more you hae to offer yourself as you go through college.

The most frustrating thing about going to school is the cost of going. For me, it feels like I'm working and scraping money just to get an education. I mean I understand that the professors need a salary, but does that mean, we as students have to suffer just to get the education that will help uS find a good job down the road. Also, for me it is the most annoying thing to hear that my mother makes "too much money," so my only option for school is loans. Will I ever be done with my debt?

One thing I wish I would have known before I came to NKU, would have to be that college is completely differant than high school. In high school it was so easy, you get easy A's. Most of the time you didn't work for the grade you recieved. On the other hand, college is the place that will make or break you. If you miss class or don't study. That's all on you. College is the place to tell you if you can make the cut in the real world.

Britny

If I could go back in time and talk to myself in highschool, I would tell myself to reach for my goals and to never give up. Even when it seems like school is hard and a social life and working is more important, it is possible to balance all of them efficiently. I would take attending college the first time around more seriously. I would tell myself that i have survived school for 13 years and that college will just be another 4 to 6 that I can get through with a little hard work and dedication.

Someone who interested highly in the sports programs, ie. football, etc.

Anyone looking for a good education, small class sizes, and wants to save money on higher education.

Anna

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I will tell myself to go to the school that you really want to go to. I feel like I let my family decide where I wanted to go for me. I do not think that they meant to do that, but my family pushed me into going to Marietta College. It was close to where my mother lived, who moved my junior year, and she really loved the idea of me living close to her. I chose to go there and ended up not feeling at home. If I could tell my senior self one thing, is to, for the first time in my life, make my own decisions and to pick what was best for me. I would tell myself to visit more colleges and get a feel for more campuses. If I would have done this, maybe I would not have transferred. Maybe I would have found my home at NKU sooner. I would also tell myself to enjoy my time in high school. I did not think I would miss it, but I do. I wish I would have enjoyed it more.

There are so many great things about this school. The biggest thing to me is that it feels like home. I transferred from Marietta College in Fall of 2014 to Northern Kentucky University. At Marietta, I did not feel like I was at home and I was always in my room and never got invovled. As soon as I got to NKU, I got an overwhelming feeling of happiness and felt welcomed as soon as I got unto campus. I got invovled right away and I am a million times happier at NKU.

The worst thing about my school would probably just be how windy it is on campus. Northern Kentucky University is known as the "wind tunnel" and can be a degree or two colder than off campus. It is always so windy that every time I use my umbrella it turns inside out. That is the only bad thing about this school.

Holly

Before I began my college education, I wish I would have known how important my high school classes really were. There are several times, I believe that if I would have done better in high school, some college classes would not have been so difficult.

I feel the best aspect of Norther Kentucky University, is the small class sizes and small campus. It is such a relief to not have to walk a mile everyday to class. Recieving one on one instruction with teachers is also very helpful.

If i could talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to work harder and take classes more seriously. I feel that by taking this step I would be able to better prepare for my college career, and make wiser choices. I also feel that I would tell myself to take the ACT more seriously, and to take more pride in the work I submit to my instructors.

Cora

Lack of parking and high priced parking passes.

Lack of parking and high priced parking passes.

Keep your mind open to new experiences and push yourself outside of your comfort zone.

That it is more of a commuter university and lacks on campus activity on nights and weekends. (I have not lived on campus since 2010, and the university has changed a lot since I started in 2008.

Mariah

Although I only applied to a few other schools before choosing NKU, one thing that I feel NKU offered that other schools did not was the desire to truly help students succeed in all areas. When I got accepted to NKU, I immediately began to recieve welcome letters and invitations to different events designed to help incoming freshman get involved and give them a jump start to being successful in their classes. This is extremely beneficial to students who are not sure how to find their place and survive in a school as large as this.

The first lesson that college has taugh me is that no, going out with your friends is not nearly as important as applying for scholarships. Although you may feel that your entire extistence relies on attending this one party, there will be more of them, and most likely each one will be essentially the same. Unfortunately, the deadline for the scholarship is not nearly as forgiving as your classmates. You will now be forced to work five days a week to pay for your tuition. The second is that once you're out of highschool, no one cares what you did in highschool. It doesn't matter if you were prom queen or had to eat lunch by yourself everyday. The social hierarchy disappears and you realize that everyone has the same goals; make it to class on time, graduate, and hopefully have some fun along the way. The third is you are entirely responsible for yourself. No one is going to make you succeed. You have to want it and you have to work for it. You must be passionate and proactive. If you fail, you will only have yourself to blame.

When people ask me about NKU, the thing that I brag about most would definitely be the professors. At a college level I feel as though it may be hard to come across a professor who genuinely loves teaching. At NKU it is the exact opposite. In my short time spent here, I have yet to meet a professor who was not passionate about the school and the learning of their students. Having passionate teachers gives students of NKU an opportunity to not simply earn their degree, but truly learn and make the most out of their college experience.

curtisa

My school put me in mind of a busy little city with some friendly people and some rude people.

I wish I would have known when you transfer your GPA start over. I also wish I have known I would have to take chemistry and biology when the college I got my Associates degree said I did not need to take them classes cause it was less than seven years since i graduated from high school.

Knowing what I know now I would have told myself to take a break from school before rushing back. I would warn myself how school is full time dedication and commitment and to make it through I would have to sacrifice working full time. The most important advice I would have gave myself is do not take on too many credit hours even when an advisor try to pressure it on you, it is up to YOU to take advisor advice you can tell them no.

Northern Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.