Highland Heights, KY
Northern Kentucky University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Kentucky University

Tiffany

Its sad to say, but we are known for our low graduation rates and expensive tuition. But no matter, I will still push myself to pass and probably be in debt for the rest of my life if I don't get scholarships.

I would have spoken to my parents about the option to go to college. I am the very first person in my immediate family as well as my cousin, aunts, uncles, etc to go to college. My parents never once mentioned college. It was always assumed that I would just go into the working field making minimum wage like everyone else did in the small town where I live. So I never really tried to hard in high school. I was smart, but I should have actually cared about my grades and school work. I should have talked to my guidance couselor about what it takes to go to vocational school and I should have done it. I didn't even know about vocational school until my junior year, which made it too late to be involved in it. I should have done a lot of things, but I am also happy where I stand. I have my three year old son and doing it alone, making excellent grades in my first two semesters.

Andrea

Having all this freedom in college is so hard to maintain and not take advantage of. Sometimes you'll get a professor that doesn't take points off your grade if you don't attend class. Other times, your essay won't be due until midnight on Sunday, so that means you can go out both Friday and Saturday night because the essay isn't due till Sunday night, right? You're presented with so many more responsibilites and challenges that come along with having all this freedom that you didn't have the luxury of having during high school. Don't spiral out of control because of this. When all of your friends are skipping Psychology and going out to Chipotle for lunch instead, go to class! You could miss an opportunity for extra credit that day, or an entire chapter of notes that the professor isn't going to post online. It is much easier to fall behind in your classes than catch up and keep a high grade. Use common sense, and in the end, you will realize that attending class or staying in and finishing homwork instead of going out and partying was worth it.

Those who like a quiet and calm atmosphere while living on campus at NKU will love this school. It is mostly a commuter campus; not many decide to reside on campus. If you are looking for the more stereotypical, wild nights and parties college atmosphere, then this school is not for you! Although downtown Cincinnati is only minutes away, there aren’t many activities right outside campus because it is located in a smaller, quiet community. NKU is a fantastic place to go to school at, but go study at another college if you seek a fast paced atmosphere!

I wish I had understood there wasn't much student life happening during the day as I imagined there would be due to the large amount of commuter students. Because so many commute from Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky, it is also hard to make friends and maintain friendships because you might live over an hour away from them! It was tough making friends my first year because like many attending NKU, I showed up for classes and simply went home. However, this gives me more time to focus primarily on my studies instead of worry about my social life.

Elijah

My school is a community that is very diverse and non-judgemental to where I only needed that one sentence to descibe it.

If I could go back and give advice, I would tell myself to keep doing what I'm doing. There is not a need to explain on advice because different things can happen at any time where you need to expect the unexpected. Life is full of surprises and I think it would be more exciting to tell my high school self to just live life to the fullest and have fun responsibly. That's the only advice I could give which is honestly the best advice in my perspective.

My school is amazing. It's a place where you have a voice that can be heard without even speaking. It's no too big, however not so little. Northern Kentucky has helped me out with my success through the year. Getting involved on campus and joining a fraternity has helped my bond and be a good represenative of Northern Kentucky University. You meet people from so many backgrounds and you learn more about who you are throughout the process.

Kala

A school with a lot of heart, determination, and creativity with an emphasis on student academic and career success.

Dear Kala, It is I, yourself, from the future and I have some good news: you are going to succeed! Those fears you had of going away to school were not just. You are very much capable of living on your own, and handling those social anixeties you've had for so long. Guess what? It gets better! Your mind will be blown by the fact that you have in fact earned yourself an Associates Degree and are on your way to getting a Bachelors Degree. And guess what that Bachelor's degree is in? Studio visual arts! You are continuing your journey in the art field with even some stints in having your artwork shown in galleries. Way to go! And for the first time you are beginnig to become happy with yourself not only in your decisions but as a person. And that was the most important thing I want out of our futures: to finally be happy in whatever we're doing. And the future is bright in this aspect. You will be so proud of yourself and the work ethic, indepence, clarity, and heart you've gained from attending collage. You are making it!

A person who is willing to work hard and go the extra mile to succeed in whatever field they choose to study in.

Michelle

Northern Kentucky University is a welcoming campus with excellent proffesors and friendly students.

Northern Kentucky University is best known for its small class sizes and excellent faculty.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition I would tell myself that I was making the right decision. I would advise myself to be more confident in college. I was bullied in high school and went into college very self-conscious and fearful it would continue. I was never bullied in college and was blown away with how friendly the students at my University were. I would tell myself to take pride in my accomplishments and to get excited for all the amazing experiences that await me. I would tell myself that going to Northern Kentucky University is the best decision I have ever made for myself. I would tell myself to stay confident, calm, and proud. I don’t have any negatives to tell myself, I have had an incredible college experience and would not trade it for anything in the world.

stephanie

If I was able to go back in high school and give myself some advice it would be to study and work hard for the best grades I could achieve. I would apply for all scholarships I could and colleges I could. Right out of high school I had no idea what I wanted to do. If I had the option I would try to do more things so that I could get an idea of what I wanted to do.

Zachary

Northern Kentucky University is an affordable, friendly, small public college that I love attending.

I would tell myself to be more inwardly motivated. So that I am able to motivate myself and be able to do the things necessary and not put them off and procrastinate. Also, to take the process of getting into college very seriously and try and make it so you will not being paying for college for a majority of your life.

I'd say it is more a commuter school. The campus life isn't like many other colleges so there usually isn't a lot going on, on campus besides playing sand volleyball. Someone who really strives to get involved with people so that way yoou strivfe to look for something to do and don't just got to class and then home and not truly have a college experience.

chinyere

When I was in high school, I really didnt know that much of what college was going be about. Now that I'm in college I have the chance of knowing it better. If I had the chance to go backin time when i was in high school . I would first say go online in look up all the scholarships you can find. Then I would say don't buy the book until you know that you really need it. Research the major that you really want to take class for because it might be difficult to get in the group or class. Used all you resources that you have at the school to help you with your process through college. You should study every day, dont wait till the last minuite to do an assignment or study for a test. I would also tell myself to use rate my professor when picking the best teacher for your class.

Mallory

The thing I consider to be the worst about NKU is that most of the social activities are based around Greek Life. A good majority of events are hosted by fraternaties or sororities and I am not involved in Greek Life. I wish NKU's social events weren't so Greek centered.

Before coming to NKU, I wish I would have known how to get involved more. I am a commuter student and am only on campus three days a week. I wish I would have been provided more information about how to get involved for commuter students in activities that are not solely focused on the fraternaties or sororities.

Diane

My classmates at NKU are extremely hard working and fun to be with.

My classmates at NKU are extremely hard working and fun to be with.

If I could go back in time and give any advice to my past high school self I would tell myself to get involved when you get to college! Aside from the obvious goal of receiving an education I believe that it is very important to involve yourself in campus life. I myself am a commuter student at NKU so making those connections outside of the class room with my peers is hard. The best way someone who is coming in as a freshman is to get involved. There are so many different clubs and organizations on campus for you to choose from. These organizations not only help you make connections and friends but they also teach responsibility and leadership skills.

I honestly can not think of one negative about NKU. I love the class sizes, the brillant proffesors, and the environmently high tech campus. I haven't had a bad experience yet!

Northern Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.