Highland Heights, KY
Northern Kentucky University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Kentucky University

The unique thing about NKU is that it is like a private school at a public school price. It's not the prettiest campus in the world but it is focused and more affordable than most. If it were a good looking campus it would not have the nickname "the concrete prison"

If I could go back to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as you could find as earlier as possible. Even with NKU's prices being "affordable" I still do not have enough. I was not prepared for the expenses of college and I did not look into scholarships as a senior. That would be the best advice I could give myself as a senior in high school.

I would say what makes our school unique is you get a private school education at a public school cost. The teachers are very well qulafied and the classes are small never more than 30 students. The building are also very close together where you can easily walk to all of your classes. Northern Kentucky University also offers free tutoring in any subject and a free writing center to help students write papers/essays.

I would tell myself it's not going to be as scary as I thought. That it will be fun and there will be tons of people there to help you with all your questions. To stay postivie and work hard and never give up and that you will make friends very easily. To keep studying to keep up your grades because you still can get scholarships for them.

Kimberly

Our soccer team, small campus, and our women's basketball team

Our soccer team, small campus, and our women's basketball team

They are always updating the campus and classrooms. Smaller class sizes compared to other local schools.

Things may not get harder with class, you just have to push yourself. However what you think you know, you don't. Try many things, experience what you can and keep hoping things get better.

Haley

Northern is known as a commuter school- a step up from community school if you will- however, recently Northern is putting itself on the map. Northern is starting to be known for its business, medical, and informatic studies both nationally and internationally. Now that I am apart of this community I realize it is best known for being small but doing big things that affect more than the community it surrounds.

Dear Haley, It is your senior year you have taken the A.P. classes, interned, participated in clubs, volunteered, and worked the rest of the time. You pushed students away because you wanted to move forward, you stressed about that B, you are worried college is going to be high school: phase two, and lastly, what about the money? My advice to you is that let go of all that stress, forget about the what ifs, and just applaud yourself for getting through those last four years. You worked very hard and I promise it will pay off. Do not stress about the grades just try your hardest and do not lose sight of your goals. College is nothing like high school you will meet people as lifelong friends, you will create a network much larger than yourself. Also, as for the money you may need to work two jobs but you had prepared yourself so well that you will be able to use that money for great things like renting your first apartment, taking more classes, studing abroad, and experiencing new adventures in new places with new people. This time is precious. Sincerely, Future Haley

I think more people in-state and out-of-state should consider enrolling into NKU; I honestly believe NKU is a great school for anyone as long as it offers the field you want to enter. NKU is afforable, accepting, open-minded, challenging, and offers several opportunities for students to grow, learn, and succeed. If there is a person out there who would rather spend their savings away on an elite college who does not want their students to gain new perspective, be challenged, grow, learn, nor succeed then NKU is not for that person.

Katelyn

Northern Kentucky University is a university that provides a private school education at a public school cost. The average class size at NKU is 24, allowing students to have close-knit relationships with their peers as well as their professors. With such a positive and encouraging environment, NKU has the ability to provide each and every student with the tools necessary to be successful.

There are a plethora of qualities about NKU that sold me. Not only is NKU close to my home, they also have an average class size of 24 and a gamut of other qualities to offer. When learning, I prefer to have close-knit relationships with my instructors and my peers. At most universities, the classes are large which is not a suitable learning environment for me. All in all, what I love about NKU is the fact that I can learn with a small group of people, thus, getting the most out of my college experience.

In hindsight, I am confident about the path that I have taken up to this point in my life. If I were to be able to go back in time and talk to myself as a High School senior, I would give myself one piece of advice: "Have trust and faith in yourself." In my opinion, the most frightening thing about college was the unknown. Once I was able to experience everything for myself, I knew exactly what my purpose was, and I knew exactly what to do. When in doubt about anything, I look to God for the answers. I know that if I have trust in God, that everything will work itself out in my favor. I have strived for success ever since I can remember, and during my first year of college I found out that anything is possible. To illustrate this, a goal of mine was to maintain a 4.0 GPA. With my hard work and perseverance, I was able to meet this goal, among others. When times were tough and when I felt like giving up, God was there to show me to keep going. Without him, I would be nothing.

The best advice I could have given myself would be to manage my time better. Writing a paper the night before won't cut it and cramming for a test the morning of definately doesn't work. Remember, even though it was only a summer, you're a different person, so even if you have a class with someone you 'know' you may not know them now. Keep an open mind, keep your chin up and smile; there's absolutely no reason why you won't make friends. Just breathe, you can do this; take it day by day.

The most frustrating thing about NKU would be the parking. Although there is sufficient parking, it is so spread out across campus that is could take over 15 minutes to walk to your building. There are only three parking garages and most of the parking lots are gravel. The lots aren't evenly spaced between the buildings, so you could end up parking 180 degrees from your desired building.

I think that anyone could attend NKU. I never noticed any sort of racism or sexism during my time here. Something to keep in mind is that the campus is very small, so if one is shy or extremely nervous about college, this would be a perfect fit.

Mark

Our school is most known for being a commuter 4 year college.

Our school is most known for being a commuter 4 year college.

The advice I would give to myself as a senior in high school, is I will need to study harder, and take school more seriously. In conjuction to that, I would say, those famous words professors tell us all the time, "you do pay extremely amounts of money for those text books, open them and read!" Another thing I would tell myself, is to be conservative with your money, and save, save save!

The most frustrating thing is parking.

Michelle

It's concrete. Literally...almost every building on campus is concrete.

Stay focused and don't wait until the last minute to turn in assignments.

Laura

The words diverse and sociable, describes them all.

The words diverse and sociable, describes them all.

To take every opportunity given to you because you never know what will come of it and it never hurt to try. There are so many advatages of getting as involved as you can and joining organizations that have your interest. I have gotten really involved on campus and enjoyed every bit of it and it has provided me with the best experiences of my life.

I dont think there is any one person who shouldnt attend Northern Kentucky University. My school offers so much for all different kinds of people, and if its not avaliable the student body is given the chance to start its own organizations. No matter who you are and what you are interested in, it is avliable here.

Valerie

My classmates almost all seem to truly want to learn and be in school, not just doing so to 'make their parents proud.'

I would tell myself to take it the exact same way. I am very happy with the college I chose and so far my Accounting major choice as well. I feel I adapted well and quickly to the changes of college.

The worst thing about my school to me, has nothing to do with anything the school could fix. In the winter the buildings just seem to tunnel the wind through. Not normally a problem except the skin near my eyes is sensitive, so it ends up turning red, drying out, and hurting often. This is what I consider the worst thing, and my university cannot change the weather.

Northern Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.