Ohio University-Main Campus Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Ohio University-Main Campus

Alicia

The people are great, the campus is beautiful, the deer are friendly, and so are the teachers. There is no other place I would rather be. In all of my classes I can tell the teachers really care and want me to be successful, and that means a lot. I am reminded every single day that I made the best decision of my life.

I love it here and couldn't picture myself anywhere else. Ohio University has become my home away from home! The staff and faculty encourage learning and personal growth both inside and outside the classroom. There are so many opportunities for the students to get involved on campus. Highly recommend.

Isabella

I absolutely love OU. It certainly has its problems like any university, but I cannot wait to go back to Athens, my friends, and my classes in the fall. The campus is gorgeous, and there is such a wide variety of people, majors, and activities. I am convinced that almost anyone could call Athens and OU their home as long as they are willing to seek out the groups of people and opportunities they need. I am a proud Bobcat, OU Oh yeah :)

Vincent

Ohio University, is a gem in the state of Ohio, move over Ohio State, OU is the place to be. From supportive professors to a bustling night life, there is always something going on. People are so friendly and genuine. There is also something for everyone and anyone to partake in.

Kendra

I love the environment the campus offers. Everyone is so friendly and will always smile when they pass you. It’s nice to be in a place that is like a home away from home. I feel very comfortable here and I wouldn’t want to attend any other college accept Ohio University!

Emma

The university has a great feel and the classes are great as as a freshman I definitely already feel at home. Also, the Journalism school is one of the top in the nation so that will definitely help me out after graduation when looking for a job.

I am extremely thankful that I decided to continue my studies after high school at Ohio University. In each class that I have taken the professors have been more than willing to help each student reach his/her true potential and do his/her best in the class. One of the most important qualities about Ohio University is the amount of opportunities for internships and jobs available for after college. It is obvious the professors want the best for the students at OU and will do anything to help students be prosperous upon graduation. The Ohio University student body is a community. Everyone looks out for and supports one another. I haven't felt this at any other university that I have visited, I am beyond grateful for having the opportunity to be a Ohio University Bobcat.

Rebecca

Ohio University is a special place. It sits in Athens County, which is the poorest county in all of Ohio. Although Ohio University seems to be all the city and county of Athens have to offer, the campus itself houses thousands of students and faculty, not to mention the Historic District of Southeast Ohio being a two minute walk from campus. Overall, this place is beautiful, the academics are top notch, and life here truthfully is good.

Elijah

The Ohio University-Main Campus is one of the most beautiful college campuses that I have ever been to. The people are nice and there is a hometown feel to it. There is always something to do and people to meet. I haven't started classes yet but from what I've seen, the professors and staff are devoted to the education as much if not more than the students that they teach.

Melia

DEAR PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS : Ohio University has an absolutely gorgeous campus, wonderful classes and professors and honestly, some of the nicest people. Now, here is what you really need to know. Please note, Jeff Hill is killer. You will want to give up and roll down the hill your first few times. This is normal. If you don't fall on your face when it's covered in ice your Freshmen year, you're not fully initiated yet. Union Street Diner will be your best friend. It's open 24/7. At the end of your semester, don't sell your books to the tent guys hanging around campus. That $150 book you bought? Yeah, they'll give you ten if you're lucky. Sell it online. We have groups for that. The last time a knife-wielding clown was spotted was late 2016. What a weird time to be alive. The Skull has Wednesday night karaoke. Does it sound like your aunt Tilda gathers her friends and scream sings Journey repeatedly? Yes. Is it like that? No. Not at all. We have hundreds of clubs. Shameless plug: Lost Flamingo Theater company holds a Rocky Horror Picture Show production every week before HallOUween in The Union bar. IF you can get in (there's a line that forms about an hour before), it is so worth it. Catch the Marching 110. Go for the band. Stay for the football. The gym has an awesome rock climbing wall. If you don't like climbing to the second story and then looking down at your death, there are amazing group fitness classes as well! The schedule is on the website each semester. Big Mamma's burritos. Burrito Buggy if you're feeling classic OU. AVALANCHE PIZZA YOU HAVE TO. You could order anchovies and carrots with pastrami and they'll do it. I'm not saying I have because gross but they honestly are the best pizza you'll ever have. (I'm a classic pep kinda girl) Bring shower shoes. For your safety. I'd cover the rest but I don't want to give away all the college fun. OU is pretty cool. Have fun, be safe and hey, welcome to Ohio University!

Madi

I think that Ohio University is underrated as a great college. So many people consider it a 'party school' but that is not all it is. we have so many organizations and majors that anyone should be proud to go to a college like this one because of the education they are getting. Drinking is a social pressure not a school qualification. Besides that factor, this school is highly recommended because of our staff, education, activities, clubs and organizations.

I absolutely adore Ohio University. Our campus is beautiful and easy to fall in love with. Students constantly refer to Athens as their 'hOUme' due to how comfortable and infatuated they are. Academics are extremely important to students who attend, and all the professors I have had throughout my freshman year were nothing but helpful. I lived in the renovated dorms this past year, so I had it good with my living situation- where not all freshman may be as lucky. There is not much to complain about when it comes to Ohio University besides the difficulty of finding a last minute outfit in Athens, Ohio!

Sabrina

I was originally planning on going to college out of state but in the end, I decided to stay closer to home, and I am so happy I did! I met my best friend at OU and I couldn't imagine my life without her! OU is full of amazing people and we are such a welcoming and inclusive campus! Our students at OU are a family and our alumni are great examples that once you're a Bobcat, you're always a Bobcat! We support each other and stand up for each other, always. OU has so many different, awesome clubs to join and new ones are always popping up! There is always something interesting to do on or off campus, every day of the week. If you love nature and being outside, OU is for you! Our campus is so beautiful and we are just about 30 minutes away from Hocking Hills, where everybody loves to hike and go camping! My friends and I love to take day trips there and go exploring! When it's nice outside you will see students everywhere doing tons of fun stuff! Playing sand volleyball on South Beach, hanging out in hammocks in pretty much every tree (join hammock club!), playing frisbee golf, soccer, football and even grilling out are just a few things we love to do and there's so much more! We have an amazing 5 story library that is open 24 hours and always full of students. And, a bunch of awesome coffee shops all over campus for those late nights or just a mid day "pick me up". There are always food trucks and a bunch of amazing places that deliver but Boyd market and dining hall is full of fresh fruit and veggies, salads and even smoothies! It's not too hard to avoid the freshmen 15 when you have so many healthy options! Every college is a party school in their own way and it's no secret that OU loves to have fun but that doesn't mean you have to go out and get crazy every night, or even at all. If the party scene isn't for you, there is still so much to do and so many other ways to have fun!Our academics are amazing and there are so many resources to help with your studies, like peer tutoring, study groups and most of all faculty. Ohio University is such an amazing school and I couldn't imagine going anywhere else! I 'm so excited I get to continue my college career here and it should 100% be on your list of schools to apply to!

Shanice

The first thing that strikes you is the campus. It is absolutely gorgeous! The mature trees and classic architecture make even the shortest walk feel like a form of recreation. Once you get into the life of a student you realize how much support is available. There is never a reason to feel lost or helpless. They make study groups fun and effective. The clubs and organizations have something for everyone. Instead of searching for one place to belong, you have to narrow down the opportunities due to the limited hours in a day! Ohio University is home!

Chiara

It has a nice small town feel but lately I have felt very unsafe. It seems like we get a new email every other week about a new case of rape and this makes me very apprehensive about traveling alone. Other than that, I enjoy my program and the faculty. I feel like I can talk to them about anything and they are really helping me get better at being an actor/artist.

mackenzie

Overall I love Ohio University. The school is very fun and there are always activities and organizations to participate in. The students are very nice and approachable. The campus is good size and there is always a lot to do. Everyone has a diverse personality and it is good to see people express themselves. The classes are a good size and the teachers are always there to help with extra work. During the week the students work hard and on the weekends we party hard as well. It is a good balance.

Carrie

Overall Ohio university is a great colllege to go to. It is a very safe area and all of the faculty is very helpful. If you have a problem they will do their very best to fix it immediately. The dorms are really nice and roomy and people always are respectful and quiet once night hits.

Lee

The campus is absolutely gorgeous, the stores and services nearby fulfill all your student and young adult needs, the people are extremely friendly, and there are endless major and amounts of knowledge to obtain there. As soon as you step onto the campus, into a classroom, or into a dorm, you know you're at home.

Britni

Ohio University is one of the most diverse campuses I have been on. There are always interesting conversations going on, and there are many great people to meet and talk to. Recently there was a Women's March, as Ohio University is very good about supporting positive marches. Ohio University is a great place to go to for school. It has a bountiful amount of majors to choose from. Everyone I have met has been open and understanding to each other person.

Talon

I love OU! It's really a place where anyone can find their place, where anyone can feel at home. I know I definitely do. There are so many things to do, all the time, boredom from lack of work and homework and options is very rare. Everywhere has problems, but I can't think of any when I think of being here. There are a lot of people, but it's never overwhelming; people form groups that are as like-minded as they are free-thinking and open to change and communication. It's a great place to live, and I wouldn't change schools for anything.

Molly

Ohio University truly feels like home. It is guaranteed that you will find your place on campus with all of the organization opportunities. Our campus is diverse regarding the fact that there will be other students who have the same interests as you. Even if you don't have anything in common with a particular student, you will still get along and look out for each other because we are a bobcat family.

Vania

I honestly enjoy attending Ohio University and I'm proud to call myself a Bobcat! The campus feels like I'm home. I'm comfortable with the size and I love how it's a walking campus. I always see a friend, a classmate or a professor and everyone is nice and friendly! I never felt out of place because everyone feels welcoming and still are!

jane

Ohio University is a large school that feels small in a quaint city of Ohio known for it's hills, it quirkiness, and it's beauty. It is a school that provides many opportunities, though they can be hard to seek out since it is a larger school. The overall campus feel is friendly although there is some racial and otherwise social tension at times. It generally is safe, though sexual assault is one of our larger issues in that area.

Cassidy

Ohio University has an amazing campus. It seems like a great atmosphere for the students. There are several opportunities inside and outside of the classroom, which is very pleasing. There is also a decent amount of diversity among the student body.

Matt

A classic college town OU offers a lot to most of the students coming here. Sadly it has a bad party reputation and somewhat average academics. Like most state schools expect no diversity and a very homogenous population.

Bryana

Everything about it is great. The overall atmosphere, the students, and the environment. I didn't think I'd fit in, coming in from Chicago, but I have never felt so welcomed. It really is home to me and I can't wait to go back for school again. The teachers are admirable and I don't mind getting up at 8am for the classes!

Cassidy

I absolutely love Ohio University! I live in a new dorm that has so many amenities and my sister has lived in some of the older dorms and has loved them too! The dining hall food is great! You can find something healthy or something that you might be craving. They have theme food days all the time which are always good! The professors I have had have mostly been very interesting and fair and have opened my eyes to things I have never thought about! The rec center is great and I work out there all the time! They offer tons of free fitness classes too! The campus is beautiful no matter what the season. The hills are killer on your legs but they make the campus even more beautiful. There is a great social scene! People are always looking to do something. With all the fests, free sporting events, all the clubs that are offered, and great bar scene, there is always something to do! There are local shops and restaurants that make Athens so unique! I have made so many new friends-everyone seems friendly and happy to be here!I am so happy I chose to go to Ohio University and wouldn't want to go anywhere else!

david

hhghgfghvgfghgfyhvgfghhfdewdgjobvdryvvcxsgzfaegvdthbgdtujbcdfhbvfyuoopbvfhjbggjnbb

Natalie

I am very happy at Ohio University. I am in the BEST place for my major, sports management and business. My sports classes are informative and I have learned so much already. I have already had success with summer internships in my field as well.

William

It is a great school! I can't speak highly enough about it. The atmosphere is positive and safe one. Ohio University is an institution that focus highly on catering to the student. Faculty go above and beyond to serve the individual needs of every student. I am going into my second year and wouldn't change a thing!

Roman

I would say Ohio University is a very mind-boggling school because on one hand, you have the huge party scene going on the whole year, concluding with a massive FEST season through the months of March and April. On the other hand, the university is renowned for its Green School title, as well as having things like an excellent nursing and journalism program. It's definitely not your one-of-a-kind school.

Jose

When I got accepted into Ohio University I was very excited but nervous as well. I was scared about what the college experience was gonna be like. I had heard that Ohio University is only for students who like to party a lot. But I came to realize that the majority of us who attend actually don't participate in those things as in the past years. Obviously there is drinking going on but not like it used to. That's what I was afraid of. Getting peer pressured to doing stuff I didn't want to do. Once I got to campus and had my first couple weeks of class I truly felt like home. Everything was at walking distance, I enjoyed my classes, teachers were great and the food was amazing. There was food for any type of person there. Overall my life at OU has been amazing and has been an experience I will never forget.

Grace

I love it. I can't imagine being anywhere else. Our advisors and professors truly care about us and show us that they do. I have never been in a class and felt like the professor didn't want to be there. The landscape is beautiful. No matter the season it feels as if I just stepped into a postcard. But most of all, the people are like no other. The saying that bobcats look after bobcats is nothing but true. There is no issue Bobcats aren't willing to stand up for and there is no Bobcat left behind. This community is based on kindness and inclusivity. I have no idea where I would be without Ohio University.

Ava

I absolutely love being a Bobcat. The college town has such a homey feeling. The atmosphere is amazing and everyone is beyond friendly. I could defiantly see myself being here for the next four years. When I first visited Ohio university during my senior year of high school, I knew it was the perfect place for me. Ohio University is very confident in their academic standing and believes that every student belongs here. They are always available and willing to help when needed and have very kind and happy to help me. The campus alone could have stole my heart and made me decide to go to school here. The Ohio University campus is filled with beautiful red brick streets and has a very country feel to it. A home away from home is the perfect way to describe it. Along with living there, the dorms are very clean and enjoyable to live in. I live in a mod style dorm witch I very much enjoy because I share It with great people down the hall. Next year, I would like to experience living in the traditional hall dorms on East Green. Other than academics, Ohio University has an abundance many different clubs, organizations, sports teams and Greek life you can be involved in. I have had a great experience my first semester being involved in nutrition club, CHAARG, D.O.S.E.S, and Live Healthy Kids Appalachia. Ohio University is truly an experience like no other and there is no other place that I would want to call hOUme.

Kayleigh

It's good for what I'm needing in a school, though it is not the best around by far. The campus is beautiful and I stay clear of unsavory scenes, though going out at night is always scary regardless. The school's politics are often troublesome generally, but it is a very inclusive and friendly place, even if the way it is run doesn't seem friendly or organized.

Christopher

If there is one thing I can definitely say about Ohio University, it is that they are extremely open to diversity. I truly believe that anyone can come to Ohio University and be able to call it home. There is a place for everyone, and regardless of what you are interested in you will be able to find people with similar passions. The area Ohio University is located in supports over 500 student organizations annually which enables every student to find their place to "fit in." When it comes to academics, I also believe Ohio University does a great job in preparing you for your career of choice. The class layout of finishing prerequisite and "tier one" requirements more in your early years of undergrad allows you to more actively pursue your major toward the end of your college career. To keep this short because I know incoming college students are not going to want to read a novel about what college they would like to go to, I can tell you this: When selecting a college, I truly feel the most important aspect is finding somewhere you will be able to call your second home. In my opinion and in the opinion of many others, Ohio University is quite the easy place to call home. Comfort is the key to happiness and, without it, you will be held back from your best academic excellence and also from enjoying the true college experience. In summary, I think any incoming student will comfortably find their second hOUme in Athens, Ohio.

Jordan

From my first year at Ohio University-Main Campus. Though it was cut short due to this unfortunate pandemic COVID-19, I enjoyed my time living there. The city of Ohio University- Main Campus is located is at Athens, Ohio. Athens is referred to as a college town, the people living there are all nice I hadn't met one rude person to my knowledge. On campus there are plenty of student activities such as watching the football team, going to our massive recreational center, or going out to town be with friends. The professors there are very kind and open to meeting you if you're struggling with class. The dorms life is nice and comfortable and fairly easy to meet new people. The dining halls serve great meal options and if interested in working provide job offerings. If you're studying for an exam go to the library with seven floors of places to focus and prepare. Ohio University is a beautiful place to live and is a great environment.

Bailee

I absolutely love Ohio University. The fine arts department is consistently welcoming and is always making sure to respect sexuality, gender and pronouns. The president does care about his students, but he often does not listen to them unless it is something he wants to hear. We as students want an administration that is small and pays attention to the issues on campus, but we have a huge administration that does not listen to the students. The faculty, on the other hand, is wonderful, and always provides for the needs of their students and classes.

Kita

Ohio university is a very interesting and fun school. I have grown up in this area so I know what Athens is like. We are one of the most liberal schools in Ohio and we protest everything we don't like. As an example, the infamous Kaitlin Bennett (gun rights activist) came here to ask us questions for Presidents' Day and we chased her around and off campus because no one was taking her crap. We party, we might do drugs, we might do dumb stuff, but we are one of the best schools in this Ohio. We have multiple programs and colleges that are ranked pretty high in the country. For example, our college of communications is #1 in the state. OU represents and supports a variety of people, as we received the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award two years in a row. There is nothing wrong with this place and I am damn proud to be from this area and school. Did I mention we are also a best buy college? OU Oh Yeah!!!!

I love the Ohio University campus! It's gorgeous in about any weather, especially in the springtime. The campus is big enough that you feel like you're on your own and away from home but not too big that it's overwhelming. It's nice to have Court Street so close to campus because you can really just walk up and get anything that you need. Overall campus is such a beautiful place, it's safe with a lot of lighting and cops are patroling it often.

I adore Ohio University. Ohio University is a second home to me. I have never felt more accepted than what I do at Ohio University. The campus is diverse and artistic, it is easy to talk to people and make friends. I am only a freshman, going into my sophomore year, and I already look forward to spending the next couple of years here. I have made my forever friends here and I never want to leave!

delia

Once you go to Athens, you'll never want to leave. I love the vibe in Athens, the kindness of all other bobcats, and the beautiful scene all over campus. The nature in Athens is one of a kind. College green is littered with beautiful trees that are breathtaking in the fall.

Jaylen

Ohio University is a great school overall. When factoring in my rating of the school, I made sure to include everything that comes with the experience of attending the school. These things include students, faculty, staff, housing, meals, activities, and the environment around the school. I am glad I chose to attend Ohio University, as it has provided myself with the academics and faculty I need to succeed, as well as a great college experience that has allowed me to participate in different activities and clubs across campus.

Sara

I love going to Ohio U so much. It was the only college I visited that felt like home. The campus is gorgeous and I have been there a couple times in the past to watch the marching band. I cannot wait to officially attend there in the fall. I feel safe there and it feels like my home away from home. OU oh Yeah!!!

Jayla

They have a VERY beautiful campus with many activities to keep you busy as a student! I definitely think it’s a good place to meet new people and get to know others. Also, they have a diverse list of majors to choose from, which is a really nice thing to be offered at a college!

Hailey

Ohio University was the first college campus I had visited the summer before my junior year of high school and I have been in love with it ever since! The campus is so beautiful and the academics are spectacular. The faculty and staff care deeply about their students and resources are always readily available for everyone.

Hayley

When I visited Ohio University for the first time, I knew it was the college I couldn’t wait to call home. The campus is a beautiful place. There are endless amounts of opportunities Ohio University offers. Opportunities to grow as not only a student but as a person as well. Ohio University offers many opportunities to allow you to be the best version of yourself you could be. With that being said, that is why I chose to attend Ohio University in this coming fall.

Katie

Being involved in the Scripps school has been the best choice I have ever made. From the moment I stepped foot on campus I knew it would equip me with the skills I need to succeed. My first month into school I was given so many opportunities to get active in my field, and I know that I already have other opportunities ready for my next 3 years. Though Athens does not have much to do besides party at points in the year, there are plenty of other groups and teams to join that can easily keep you busy. The people here are kind and the professors genuinely care about their students for the most part. There really is opportunities for every major to get the experience they want and need.

Hailey

Ohio University (nee Athens) is without a doubt my favorite place in the world. All of my classes have exceeded my expectations, I have yet to meet a professor who was not invested in my success here at Ohio University. The amount of extracurricular activities has also met my expectations from hockey games to acapella competitions there is something for everyone here!

Emma

Although there are things I believe could be better like dorm life or dining halls, I love this school and feel like it is the perfect place for me. It has a very small town feel even though there are tons of new people to meet every day. The professors really care and have worked in the field they're teaching which is SUPER beneficial.