Oregon State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Oregon State University

Dylan

I love it here at Oregon State University, even though it is a large public university there is a strong sense of academia here. Oregon State faculty hold regular office hours, and besides a few bad, professors they are a joy to talk to and get to know in and out of the classroom. Plenty of opportunities exist for even freshmen to get experience with research which is something you won't find at many other schools.

Leif

I love love love the campus, sunny days in the Fall and Spring are amazing. The winter can be kind of rough and it is rainy a lot of the time, but the sunny days make up for it. All of the professors are great and super responsive! Overall OSU is a great school!

Reed

I like the school, it offers plenty of opportunity to find something that interests you. Greek life is not prioritized, but is encouraged. With the weather, some sporting events can be hard to get to, but Spring and Fall are our big times for sports. There are many different schools within OSU, allowing for a diverse group of students and professors. Parks around the school make for great opportunity to get off campus and take a break.

Andrea

It's a pretty nice place to get a mixture of academics and community involvement and the professors are great!

Shahad

OSU has the best town because it is small and cozy and very friendly. Everyone here just laughs and smiles. I bet no one here gets homesick because you could easily fit in and have friends which is very hard in other colleges. There is also everything here for you. I would love it if i could finish all my degrees from here

Madisen

I really like Oregon State University. The professors are almost always willing to be there for their students and to encourage their success. The campus is very beautiful and walkable and the fellow students are helpful. The on campus food choices are awesome and great prices!

Isabella

I really enjoyed the experience. The student body is extremely diverse there are tons of different cultures which definitely enriched my experience. There are many places to explore, stay active like the huge gyms, the outdoors and the river. I loved how supportive the safe is

Jeffrey

OSU is a very welcoming community with a very wide variety of people. The campus is a very safe place, and there is always something being improved upon. The dining halls offer good food at affordable prices, and students get discounts when they use their student ID. The dorms vary in quality, but OSU is constantly looking to improve its community.

Brooke

Oregon State is an awesome school that provides the full college experience. The campus was beautiful and the people were friendly. There are lots of clubs and activities to partake in. Beaver spirit is evident but it is definitely stronger in other PAC 12 schools.

Pistol

Oregon state university is an amazing school, there is always something going on around campus even if you do not notice it right away. The only time I hear negative things about the school is when people do not leave their homes or dorms which becomes there own faults. But as a whole Oregon state university was and is an amazing match for me and should be for most people just be ready for some rain.

Nora

Oregon State University is a decent school. As a student in Computer Science I am in the engineering college which is what OSU is most notably known for. As a student of this department I can talk most confidently talk about the engineering college. The engineering college is very good and is a notable program everywhere, however, due to this many of the students are constantly stressed and only work on homework. The engineering school at certain points during the year does not give enough room for students to also have a social life. The social life on campus is very good. There are lots of intramural sports and college sports to watch. Oregon State University is known for its baseball team as well as its football team. There is no lack of other sports to watch and take part in. Greek life if prominent on campus and there are a variety of houses to choose from. There are many opportunities to be political on campus, or artistic on campus, or active on campus. However, living on campus is a fifty-fifty shot. Some of the dorms are very nice and feel like they are maintained. However, there are many dorm buildings that are not kept up or maintained and they feel very unsettling. The teachers are usually reachable those they are not always the most friendly or sociable. I have had a few professors who only wanted to interact with students in class. But the other hand I have had professors who are kind and approachable. Oregon State University overall is a good school however there are give and takes as all schools have. Social activities are everywhere and friendships are encouraged and easily made. Classes are difficult but give good information. Overall it is a well rounded school that is a perfect fit for many of its students.

Ad

Terrific. The professors are supportive. The campus is beautiful. The classes are thought provoking and engaging with tons of multimedia content to make studying more fun and accessible. There are many activities to take part in! They have a cool greenhouse you can volunteer at and a marine studies center you can visit. There is a lot of natural beauty to take in. There are many opportunities to learn how to reduce your environmental impact while also relying on renewable energy sources.

Britten

Oregon State University is a great place to grow both in knowledge and as a person. Corvallis is a small college town with big things happening. Campus life is active and there is always something to do. During the Fall, nothing beats going to a Beavers football game and tailgating before and after.

andrea

So far I have only taken online classes, but I can already see how great the professors and learning opportunities are. The professors I have had are always available and respond quickly to emails and questions. I was hesitant to try online classes, but they are structured in a way that has actually allowed me to learn effectively. The campus is very big and has many old buildings, which is cool but it can get pretty hot during summer time. Overall it is a great college to get some serious learning done!

Noah

Oregon State University is a money making machine, with 70% of all income generated goes to paying, not teachers, but bureaucratic admin jobs with wages near 150k a year. My Clatsop Community college professor was fired for his inability to teach, where did he get his next job at? Oregon State University. OSU has a full time desk job for the ID center, full time job as a Dean's assistant with benefits. This school will burn your money. You're better off buying their textbooks and reading them on your own time. Each class will cost an average of $1200, when it only should cost an average of $300. We need education reform now. Giving OSU your money will only contribute to the problem.

Phuong

I've enjoyed my time at OSU. People are nice and diverse. Professors and TAs are helpful. Also, they offer on-campus jobs, which is very useful. The thing I like about OSU is that it gives students enough freedom but it's not like students get wasted everyday. We have a pretty good work-life balance.

Irie

I can not wait to attend my dream school. My overall opinion on the school without attending can be bias but from what I see as a visitor it is a great school. The campus is full of very nice people from all over. Everyone is nice and helpful. The school has very good food places. The dorms and off-campus residents are as nice as can be for college. The club and student life are awesome. Everyone is connected and involved.

Montana

Are you looking for a university that values community and truly helps its students succeed? Are you looking to spend the next chapter of your education in a beautiful suburban setting surrounded by gorgeous green hills? Then Oregon State University just might be the school for you. I am a freshman here, and I certainly think that you would do wonderfully. Oregon State University, or OSU, is a vibrant community where folks from many walks of life come to learn. Practically any time of day, you can walk by the Student Experience Center Plaza or the Memorial Union and you will see plenty of student-led groups engaging with the community about the issues that matter to them. If you're looking for fun, want to try out a new hobby or are looking to make new friends, swing by the craft center, the intramural sports fields, the wood shop, the Adventure Leadership Institute, or any of the abundant recreational activities that are constantly going on. If you are a dedicated athlete, or even just interested in checking out a new sport, we have both varsity and club teams just waiting for you to get involved. Even in club teams, there are great opportunities to travel around the region and connect with students at other universities with whom you share similar interests. I personally am part of OSU's climbing club, and it has given me such a sense of community, and the opportunity travel to new cities and compete, with no pressure, in a sport that I am still relatively new to. If you are super excited about greek life, there is plenty of involvement in sororities and fraternities on campus. If you are interested in research, OSU has valuable opportunities for undergrads to work in labs in many different fields, alongside renowned faculty and distinguished peers. One perk about research at OSU is that it is both world class and accessible for undergrads. At some more competitive state schools, such as the University of Washington where many of my friends attend, I've heard that it can be harder to achieve these opportunities as an undergrad. Science and engineering programs are generally what OSU is famous for, and they certainly will not disappoint. In my experience in the colleges of science and public health, I am amazed at how passionate and deeply knowledgeable faculty are about class material. OSU's other colleges also have excellent reputation and cutting edge research, including but not limited to the College of Public Health and Human Sciences, the College of Business, and the College of Forestry. I will say that a big university unfortunately means some really big class sizes, especially in lower-division courses like General Chemistry or Principles of Biology. If you are in the Honors College, you have the privilege of accessing smaller class sizes earlier on, however without junior standing it can still be difficult to get into them, since registration priority is given to folks with higher class standing. Another challenge as a student is that it can be difficult to obtain a position shadowing professionals (e.g. doctors, nurses) in the area because there is such a high volume of interest from other students. However, I do think this is pretty typical of any city that has a large university with dedicated students. All of that being said, I personally believe that any college experience can be amazing if you make something wonderful out of what you are given, and have other people there to support you. Despite these large classes, there are a truly impressive variety of on-campus resources for any student who seeks them out. Professors, graduate teaching assistants, peers, and other resources are highly available for all of the courses that I have taken thus far, and that I anticipate taking in the future. This community truly wants you to succeed, and will help you achieve your goals if only you reach out a hand. Whatever school you choose to attend, I hope that it is a wonderful experience for you. If I do manage to convince you that OSU is the place for you, then welcome to beaver nation!

Richmond

Beautiful Campus overall. Flat terrain which is perfect for cyclists. Corvallis is a pretty small town, so if you need to go anywhere, then a bike can get you there easily, which means you don't have to worry too much on gas money. However, if you qualify for being an out-of-state student, then good luck on your finances, because it is significantly more than if you have in-state tuition.

Alexandra

I love Oregon State University. Everyone on campuses is very friendly and I have met some of my best friends here. The professors are all extremely nice and approachable. We love our sports here and there is always a big crowd at the games. Greek life is also a big part of our campus.

Dani

If you like to party, cheer on the sports team, party some more, and like the anonymity of large classes than Oregon State is a great place. Unfortunately, I am a book worm who loves learning and would rather spend my time volunteering or participating in an activist group. There are opportunities for that on and off-campus but they're not nearly as well-known or as well-advertised as the Greek parties or the major sports games. Professors are very hit and miss. Sometimes you'll get a great professor who is actually teaching (and happy about it) as well as researching. Sometimes you'll get a bitter professor who hates you for taking him away from his research. Frequently you will get a grad student teacher, some great and some horrible. Occasionally you'll get a grad student teacher who just plays video of the professor who used to teach the class back in the 80's and the information is completely irrelevant, or very dated at best.

Alexandre

Oregon State University is my home. 31,000 students can say that, and I am proud to be one of them. It's funny though, Oregon State was actually the last college I wanted to go to when I was first applying for them in high school. I even wanted to be a duck before I finally made the decision to come to OSU. What did it for me was the visits to both schools. When I got to OSU the first time I couldn't believe the school I had been accepted to. The architecture, the city, the people, everything just spelled out "college town," which was what I was looking for in a school. Plus, I had liked the campus so much on that the single visit that I changed my mind, I was destined to be a beaver. And I am so glad I made that choice. From long nights in the library to the Friday night lights. Oregon State is everything I look for in a school. The education is reputable, plus I am currently involved in research that could put me into graduate school as well as maintain a healthy lifestyle by competitive powerlifting. Both of which couldn't have happened if I didn't come to OSU. So overall, OSU is the best school on the west coast. The curriculum and the campus size gives it a fantastic University feels but the college town around completes the experience.

jacquelyn

Oregon state University is a great home away from home not to big and not to small. I wouldn't be any where else OSU has got a real hometown feel with plenty of opportunity's,the campus is located just blocks from downtown where there are many coffee shops, cafes and parks.

jack

The city loves the college and supports all the activities. Oregon State has a very loyal fan base for sports as well as academics. Sponsors of the college give well received gifts and nothing beats the tail gaiters when it comes to sports. The diversity of extra curricular activity is extremely diverse.

Leah

Overall OSU is a good school. Not only is there plenty academic options but the tuition is reasonable. Oregon State University has many communities/groups and overall plenty of resources to make sure their students are able to feel their best. The university also feels somewhat safe and secure.

Sasha

The housing is GREAT and extremely affordable! I have my own room with a walk-in closet, it's pet-friendly, and they even allow summer housing. The only problem is that there is only one bathroom that I have to share with 3 other people. Nearly the entirety of campus is at my fingertips, I barely have to get out of bed. The food is a little subpar, but I've made do with it. The professors are usually always available. If they're not they try to send us emails ahead of time. Did I forget to mention that I'm an e-campus student living with my parents back home in South Carolina?

realite

I love Oregon State University so much! There are so many opportunities at osu, especially for STEM majors. There are also tons of clubs on campus and many opportunities for research jobs. I'm so happy I chose OSU, I have made so many friends here and made connections with my professors.

Brooke

As an Ecampus student, the faculty that I speak to on the phone or through email are always nice and accommodating. The only fault that I have found was through the application process where I found it to be very slow, especially regarding which classes transferred. I almost had to register without knowing which classes transferred. However, except for that minor/major inconvenience, I have had a very good experience. One of my favorite things that they offer is SchollarDollars, which is an easy and quick way to apply for lots of scholarships through their university website.

chantell

OSU, is a wonderful place to go to school. The professors are very approachable. The campus is full of spirit and one truly never feels alone. There's not a single other campus I would rather be. Fellow students really make the school feel like home.

Austin

OSU is a good college. If you're an agriculture, engineering, accounting, or computer software engineer major, then there are few state colleges that hold up academically. As far as the rest? The programs are really not very prestigious, and most of the classes will feel like they exist to take your money. The professors are almost exclusively leftists (take that however you want), and the administration is far left (created a bias and diversity task force). Corvallis is nice, and the drinking scene is awesome.

Alexandra

I partake in Oregon State University's E-campus, so everything I do is online. This helps because I actually live across the country from Oregon. While there have been various instructors here and there who don't seem to respond to their students at all, the vast majority of them sincerely do want to see their students succeed and will do everything in their power to help you. I would recommend this university to anyone thinking of their higher education options.

Ireland

Oregon State University is overall a good school. I have a great academic advisor, although I have heard about some people having struggles with their advisors. Most of my professors have not been too involved with their students, while a few have been great, it’s mostly the TAs who are there and most willing to help. OSU also has really great programs to help with academics as well, such as the mole hole for chemistry or the Math and Science Learning Center. Aside from academics, OSU has an absolutely beautiful campus, I can’t help but to always take pictures, especially when the seasons are changing. Overall, I would recommend Oregon State University to my peers.

Catherine

I think that it is a good school academically and socially, and even though Corvallis itself can be a little boring, we are about an hour away from Portland so it isn't too hard to find things to do. There are plenty of restaurants downtown, and the area is both safe and friendly.

Ethan

Oregon State University is not the worst place in the world, but that is an incredibly low bar to set. OSU has a little something to offer to everyone; Greek life, athletics, events to attend, readings by professional writers, beautiful sights, and a great town for college life. The only down fall is that students tend to slip through the cracks. There aren't as many student outreach programs, or at least not very effective ones, as I think there should be.

Madalyn

Oregon State University has a very welcoming campus! The students work hard but also know how to relax and have fun whether at sporting events, campus events or even throughout the local community. The surrounding community off of the campus is very nice and supportive of the students at the university. The academics are competitive with other universities and the professors are engaging and easily reached with questions. Would definitely reccomend seeing the college and possibly adding it to your list!

Wes

I really enjoy my overall experience here at Oregon State University. Being a distance education student, it is tough sometimes to get a feel for the culture at the school you're attending, but I feel that OSU does a great job of incorporating culture into their distance education courses.

James

Oregon State has a very welcoming community and they take many approaches to ensure the comfort and health of the students. The professors are great, many of them want their students to succeed, so they are always providing students with the opportunity to seek help. Living on campus is a great experience, it allows one to meet new people and learn what it's like to be on your own. The food serve on campus is not only good but healthy as well.

Elisabeth

Oregon State University is a great school. The campus is beautiful year round. All of my professors are friendly and I'm always learning new things. There are so many different resources on campus available for students to use. I would recommend Oregon State to anyone and everyone.

Jasmine

The best decision I've ever made was attending Oregon State University. The on campus connections are outstanding, I've never met so many people so quickly. The best friends I've ever had I met on campus in the dorms, and they are now my off campus roommates. The campus is beautiful and there is always something fun happening. Definitely recommend checking it out!

Morgayne

Oregon State University is a place for all people, including traditional and non-traditional students. The professors, students, and support staff are extremely friendly and helpful for every interaction I have had; it is a school that supports all cultures and equality. Overall I am pleased and privileged to be able to earn my degree there.

Colton

The campus and facilities are nice. Everything is close (within a reasonable walking distance); my biggest complaint is the increase in tuition that occurs every year. Freshman year, there was a flat rate for taking 12-15 credits; since then, each credit is now charged individually and total cost has gone up every year. Education seems to be middle of the road, but if tuition continues to increase it will be tough to justify the quality in a few years.

Jordan

Oregon State University has a strong engineering program, which takes up a majority of it's student body. I do not know if this is a party school, if that's what you're looking for, but if you want a decently sized school with a heavy engineering and research focus, this is it.

Lucy

Oregon State University is a gorgeous campus, offers top-notch facilities for students and community members, and the staff will do almost anything to help students succeed. Corvallis may lack in shopping centers and popular name brand stores, but it makes up for it by being a tight-knit community where its easy to feel safe and welcomed.

Tehya

Academically, the school is great. Professors are typically willing to do whatever they can to help you succeed (but of course some are not). Campus life is fun but the school is overwhelmingly white, and can be pretty exclusive to those who fit the norm.

EVe

I would potentially like to go to this school, every time I have gone to this university I have felt welcomed and safe. I love the mascot and the color scheme. The only thing that I dislike about the school is that finding scholarships and being able to apply for them has been difficult.

Betty Chen-Jean

Oregon State University has provided the change to be qualified in another industry - computer science. As I currently work for Siemens as a biochemist designing biological assays, I would like to do something different because what I handle is biology. I can't change biology and modify it so that it suits my needs perfectly. What I can do better is design better tests and better software to improve medical devices, namely the clinical analyzers I work with on my team.

Angela

I like it overall. Everyone has a lot of school spirit and people are generally excited to be going to Oregon State. People really get into greek life and football games (especially the civil war) and it's a good time. Class sizes are huge and our math teachers kind of suck but other than that it's a good school.

Katie

Oregon State University is an incredible college. After months of meticulous calculating and searching, I finally decided that this University was the one for me. Visiting campus only made me feel more certain in my decision to join Beaver Nation. I am so excited to be a part of the atmosphere, student body, and academic program here at OSU. I feel proud to have been accepted, and am very grateful that I get to be a part of something bigger than myself. The work that students, and faculty, do at Oregon State is unparalleled in other universities. The research and investigating we do as students isn't just helping our grades, it's helping the country progress as one of the smartest, and most technologically advanced nations in the world, and I am more than proud to be a part of it all.

Katelyn

Oregon State has a very beautiful campus and the professors have all been caring and kind to me. The housing is all older which makes it difficult to find a decent place and it's very expensive. The downtown is fun, with lots of shops and food options. Lots to do outdoors and all the students I've met have been very friendly.

Antonieta

OSU has a beautiful open campus and when it's not raining is full of trees, grass, and open space to enjoy the outdoors. As an off campus student I relied heavily on public transportation which was easily accessible in Corvallis and to OSU. Plus as a student, it was free fare! Football games were always a great time regardless of our rankings. The library has a coffee shop and plenty of spaces to find the perfect study place for yourself or group. As I got closer to graduation, classes grew smaller and I bonded with my peers. I was a lucky one who graduated the year Michelle Obama gave her speech for the graduating class!