Oregon State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Oregon State University

samantha

I really like Oregon State University. Very friendly staff and professors. Very helpful as well. The campus is beautiful and so is Oregon. This is the college to be at if you love the outdoors. You are only a couple of hours away from the beach, mountains for skiing or hiking, the desert, and other places for hiking, mountain biking and kayaking/canoeing. You are in a small town, but it has things to offer and you are not too far from other cities.

Laura

I love Oregon State. Its such a great and beautiful school filled with extremely nice people. The opportunities are amazing. They have so many diverse clubs that everyone can participate in. All the professors care about you and want to see you succeed.

Delaney

Oregon State University has one of the prettiest campuses around. The people there are very welcoming and friendly. OSU provides a variety of different activities and events for each and every student. The academics that are provided are focused around math, science, and engineering, with each program being very intellectual and prepare you for a career.

Annie

Oregon State University lives up to its reputation of being a well known engineering school. Each program is structured well and the classes are designed to your specific study. The campus is beautiful and always bustling. OSU is a great school if you are serious about engineering.

Julia

The staff at Oregon State University are really helpful on making your time at OSU the best. They help you understand everything about college. The town of Corvallis is an overall college town. It’s also very beautiful with the forestry. Overall, Oregon State University is a wonderful college to attend.

Alaina

Oregon state is a really nice school, but the food from the dining halls gets old real fast, and the dorm building drinking fountain water smells of chlorine. It is also VERY difficult to get around the town if you need to go to the store, you either do a long, cold walk, or pay outrageous amounts for an Uber. The professors and TA's are all very willing and accessible when you need help or ask a question though, and that is one huge upside. Also, nothing is free here, you pay for everything... maybe that is the same for every college campus though? One more thing, the dining hall by my dorm building closes at 8 pm which means no late dinners, late night snacks, or anything like that.

Fiona

A strong and diverse community dedicated to learning and life long acheivment and relationships. There are always activities to try and opportunities to grow: from canyoneering with adventure club to knitting at the crafts center. It may rain here most of the time but it does nothing to dampen our beaver spirits!

Julia

It’s a great school and it’s easy to make friends. The greek life is very welcoming. There might be tough classes but there is a lot of resources that are provided for help. They have a nice gym facility, with many things like working out, workout classes and swimming etc.

Robert

Most professors are egotistical and rather pretentious, their opinion is the only one that matters and students correcting them is viewed with vindication. If I had it to do over, I would have attended a different school, not because of location or money, but because of the professors that frown excessively on being questioned.

Samuel

Its Awesome, better than any school I could have gone to in California. Students are encouraged to do research and get published even at the undergraduate level. They also encourage students to spend a semester studying abroad, so that the students get best well rounded college experience. These were just some of the reasons I chose to go to OSU.

Brianna

I really enjoy going here, and yes, there are things that the university can improve but nothing major. There is always room to grow, but nothing is so wrong with the university that I feel it needs to change drastically. The only thing I would prefer that the school change is the dorm food. I just wish there were a few more healthy options available.

Trent

To whom it may concern, I am a first-year student at Oregon State University. Do not let this fool you though, I have grown up a beaver fan (OSU's mascot) only living a mear hour away. I have gotten the opportunity to go to plenty of sporting events and know campus very well before I ever arrived as a student. I know looking for colleges can be hard, but look no further than OSU. The univerty is great for all walks of life, its perfect for that country kid that doesn't want to go to the city or the city kid that can't take it anymore and needs a more small-town vibe. Oregon in its self is wonderful, with different climates all throughout the state and nice people wherever you go (we also have water here, cali people). The campus life is superb, its a perfect blend of older style buildings with a modern flare. Everywhere on campus is within a five-minute walk and there is no hills or major streets you need to cross. The only downsides to OSU are it rains a good amount and there isn't a lot of places to do stuff in town, because it is smaller. I would recommend OSU to really anyone looking for a great university experience. Go Beavs!

Jaden

Where do I even start? As far as education goes, Oregon State perfectly fits the criteria of providing the traditional educational experience. I am not saying that as a good thing, in fact I mean the opposite. I despise the current education system, it does not teach any practical skills that college students and high school students need to live. Not only are we required to take 45 or more credits of classes, but none of the classes we are forced to take even go over basic finance or home economics! No one knows how to do laundry, write checks, do the dishes, bake, understand money and a variety of other tasks because it was never taught. Instead we are forced to take other meaningless classes that you dread. As far as major-specific classes go I can only speak of my Math major, which I also disliked. Very little practical math was taught, the teachers were predominately non-native english speakers, and was overall disappointing. Although, when I had to attend office hours they were all readily available! I did love my economics and statistics classes though, I just would not recommend the math program if you are not heavily interested in mathematical theory. As far as campus life goes, I cannot complain whatsoever. There is a myriad of fun things to do, so if you are bored it is your fault. There is a big involvement in student sports, there is a large greek life here, and there are oodles of clubs to consider. I have had an amazing time at this college because of these reasons. The more you are involved on campus the more fulfillment you will acquire. Lastly I would say the weather here half the year is fairly dreary and rainy but the other half of the year makes up for it by being gorgeous! Overall if you are looking for a decent education and tons of fun in college for a heavy price, I would recommend Oregon State.

Cassidy

Oregon State University is a great school with better-than-average academic programs. Some programs, like the Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences program, are rated as top notch in the nation. The courses are very well organized as far as core curriculum and emphasis areas. The university is a research-based institution with professors from a wide array of backgrounds. Their programs, however, are not cheap when compared to universities offering similar majors. Highly recommended for students who intend to complete their program of choice. An expensive waste-of-time for those who don't.

hayden

It is a good school. No Ivy league, that's for sure, but the people are nice and the education is good. I am a student at he honors college, which gives me more freedom to smaller class sizes. No one here likes the honors college students however, except for us. Overall, the school is a good place. There are a variety of programs, and if you cannot find a particular program you are interested in, there is most likely a professor doing something similar.

Catherine

The campus feels supportive and safe. Corvallis itself is a sweet town, but can be a bit seedy at night. There are a good amount of off-campus living arrangements available, and there are plenty of on-campus options as well. The winter in Corvallis isn't the most desirable, but the beautiful fall and spring terms make up for the rainy and grey winter months. OSU is a pretty big party school, also known as "Corvegas." That said, not everybody partakes in drinking or using drugs, and I have never experienced peer pressure to do so. The professors at OSU are here to help you learn and grow as a students, and the majority are responsive and flexible. There is a huge selection of classes to choose from, and the amazing advisors will always help to pick which class is best for you. It's a great school to enroll in, and I'm happy to be a beav.

Landry

Oregon State is a perfect example of an institution that does not only take into consideration of their student's need, but also how they can improve them in order to make lives efficient and exciting. There is a vast amount of cultural diversity that all students seem to be proud.

Rylee

Oregon State is a great school with opportunities for people of all interests. It is, however, a large university, meaning that it may be intimidating. Dorm life is a lot of fun if you're willing to go out and meet people. The best way to make the most of your college experience is to join clubs you're interested in and chat with people in class.

Katherine

Super excited to attend this University this fall after touring and visiting this summer. After visiting and touring smaller schools in 2 states, I kept reflecting back to this campus and it had everything I needed to achieve my goal in obtaining a B.S. in Business.

Emma

I really love it here, I moved in not to long ago and it feels a lot like home. Many if not all the people are very friendly, and everyone is happy to help when you ask for it, even if it's about the silliest thing. The professors and Teaching Assistants (TA's) are equally willing to help, and make sure to mention when their office hour are or how to set up an appointment to talk. Many of my professors have some degree of humor or fun they they mix into their curriculum. The campus is beautiful, though it is very large. If you aren't a fan of walking, I suggest you get a bike, if not, be prepared for a lot of walking. The food is great too, albeit a tad expensive. There are a range of what food is served, and there are many dinning halls all over campus, and I have yet to have a bad experience with it. Over all, I really like it here, and think it can be a good fit for a variety of students.

Katie

Oregon State is a very big campus, with lots of life. Academic facilities are very up to date in my eyes fancy, I would love to attend this college it seems like the perfect fit for many people. It's a safe campus with many people always nearby and is good walking distance from everything on campus.

Maira

My experience at Oregon State University (OSU) was amazing. As a first-generation college student and member of an ethnic minority, it was important that I be welcomed and supported through my educational journey. Through amazing bridge programs, I received that and many other resources I needed to thrive. Through the department of Diversity and Cultural Engagement, PROMISE Intern Program, I was able to participate in summer internships 2 years in a row and attended workshops on professionalism that taught me how to navigate through the business world. I also worked for the cultural centers, where I connected with like-minded individuals and lifetime friends. Living on campus was also great. I had the opportunity to live on-campus my first year and my last year at OSU- I loved it! OSU University Housing and Dining Services (UHDS) has Diversity Learning Assistants that facilitate discussions on social injustices and create an inclusive and safe/brave environment. I too was a DLA and became a more socially conscious individual because of it. OSU offers various ways for students to be involved in research. I started as a research assistance in the Kindergarten Readiness Study and the Latino Diabetes Project. Guided by faculty mentors, I was given the opportunity to conduct my own research through the LIFE Scholars summer research project and the Undergraduate Research Apprenticeship Program (URAP). As an alumnus, I continue to be involved through my participation in the TRACE project, a research project that tests the prevalence of coronavirus in the community, aiming to investigate the spread from those that are non-symptomatic. I couldn’t be prouder of my alma mater. Go Beavs!

Kaylee

Overall, I enjoy attending Oregon State University. I was able to get an on campus job at relative ease and I frequently work the late shift. Even despite walking home at night I feel completely safe; safe enough to listen to music while heading home. I'm unaware about the appearance of the dorms on campus but I am awarer that it is super expensive. I've looked into some of the off campus housing options; they look nice but are also rather expensive. I currently live in a Christian sorority two blocks from campus and it's been an amazing experience. I transferred from a community college and the classes sizes have been a bit of an adjustment. The size of lectures is much larger than I was used to but my recitations and studios are acceptable. I absolutely love the extracurricular and sports culture of Oregon State it makes me excited to be on campus. I look forward to many more years studying on this campus.

OSU is an amazing school to attend. I would highly recommend it! Advisors are great and make sure you are on track to graduate. The atmosphere is incredible with lots of nature and great buildings. There are many opportunities such as Greek life, internships, and study abroad.

Ivan

I have learned so much being at OSU for a year now and the experiences that come with attending this school has really been unforgettable. The people at Oregon State are on of the most amazing and coolest people I have ever been around and if that isn't something that motivates me to do better than I don't know what will. I plan to attend the rest of my college years at OSU because I love it here.

Madison

Oregon State is a great school for those interested in science/math based majors. The liberal arts seem to be of lesser focus. The academic advisors are less communicative, and the degree itself seems less straightforward. I find that as a Political Science major, there are little to no tutors or groups to study with. It's a fairly independent area of study.

Devon

It's a beautiful campus with amazing people. Every person I've met has been extremely kind. The staff is really all about the students, they want the absolute best for all of us. There is so much opportunity for learning new things and getting experience in your prospective field

Dencil

This school will not properly articulate transcripts leading to never ending registration issues. Advising is a waste of time, because they will not follow through with tasks that need to be accomplished for a student to determine exactly what course work is required of them. If you ask any status update questions, no one at the university will even respond to your emails. If you file a complaint, the resolution you receive is only a "status" update on the original problems and never an actual resolution. As a distance educational institution, the university has an obligation to respond to students in a timely manner, which they could care less about. Not even the Vice Provost would offer any assistance. Four business days have gone by since I should have been able to register for classes I need to graduate, and still nothing. PLEASE do not give this institution any of your time or money, seek a legitimate institution that is in the business of providing education, not deceiving distance students out of their money.

Tyler

I love Oregon State University, especially because of how there is something for everyone here. There is plenty of sports for people to join both intramural and competitive; there is also a huge amount of clubs for people to join including cultural clubs like Hillel or IBP. Also OSU has really good professors and academic resources. In my dorm there is an engineering lab where a student can go and learn how to make stickers using software and make 3D prints. Another thing I absolutely love about OSU is the community and the friends I have already made after my first term; everybody here is incredibly friendly and nice and I have made some super close friends at Oregon State.

Tyler

For the short amount of time I have ever been there I absolutely love Oregon State. The community is really welcoming and I have made a lot of new friends while I've been at OSU. They have great on-campus housing and the food is good to. The academics could be better because there are a few fees that you are not really notified about before hand, but I feel like this will get better as I get farther along in school. Oregon State is a great school and I definitely recommend it to anyone looking at colleges.

Sophia

I truly love it here. From the first moment I toured campus as an out-of-state student, as cheesy as it sounds, I fell inexplicably in love with the campus. Now that I am here, as female in STEM, I am so excited to have so many opportunities to get involved in undergraduate research, even as a freshman! There is also a good mix between academics and social life here, as I can always find time to study but there are plenty of clubs and extracurricular activities I can get involved in, and the weekends can be pretty fun!

Ashton

Oregon State University is a great experience with a lot of people who live in a loving community

Kerilynn

its a great school to go to i really like the school because i will learn a new stuff there.

Morgan

I believe Oregon State University is a very useful school full of potential and opportunity, regardless of where one comes from. The students body's background is so very diverse, unlike any other school I have ever attended before! You are able to meet friendly people from around the world, participate in clubs numbering in the hundreds, attend classes with teachers who care about your learning, all within a large and safe campus. Joining a University for the first time is always a bit unnerving, but if every University was as resourceful as Oregon State University, then it would only feel like moving into a second home.

Selia

Oregon State is a large university full of a diverse group of people. Everyone comes together and creates a unique and fun dynamic. Theres a group for everyone. Some of the facilities are older which isn't great, but the larger and more populated halls are very new and up to date. Corvallis isnt the most fun town, but the lively school and students make it a perfect college town.

Alexis

Like most things, OSU is what you make it.

Ke'ala

I visited Oregon State at the end of February this year and was amazed at the mixing of agriculture and sports culture in such a diverse school. I got to meet very passionate students who told me about all of Oregon State’s internship programs, and I fell in love with the campus!

Alexander

I am a graduate student. I really do not like this university. After being here for over a year, I have yet to have taken a class which feels like anything but a complete waste of my time. So far, every course I have taken is substantially worse then any courses I have taken at any other institution (I have attended two other school). The administration seems to make even the simplest task incredibly difficult. I have had a very difficult time transferring a large NSF grant I received to the University. The student body feels cliquey and way too into greek life. Additionally, Corvallis is pretty expensive to live in but isn't a particularly nice place to live. I would recommend any potential graduate students stay far away from this dud of a university.

Reann

This school has many opportunities to be involved outside and inside of academics. They want the best for you and will help you to reach your goals. The school has high spirit and friendliness all around the campus. They try to ensure safety as well as protection for individuals for health.

Teagan

Overall, Oregon State has been one of the best decisions I have made in my entire life, I have been extremely impressed with the academics, the support, the enthusiasm and the resources associated with Oregon State. All of the teachers have been so generous with their time and assistance and they are always looking out for the students and encouraging them to do their best. Oregon State has a large amount of resources too that help with academics and allowing students to exceed in their goals. My other favorite part of Oregon State is their involvement in helping students on their career paths and goals and helping them learn about career opportunities and having classes that teach useful information for the outside world and for future careers.

alexy

I really love the campus environment. The campus is beautiful, clean, and friendly. Professors are wonderful and make meaningful connections with students. Campus food is not so great which is really hard to get used to when living on campus. Overall, I love OSU and I think I made the right decision to attend. GO BEAVS!

Arizona

There are so many great people and places to go on campus. It is a very friendly and welcoming place that is open to all opinions. The only bad thing about OSU, I would say is the dining halls. The food can get boring really fast which sucks but everything else about the school is absolutely incredible.

Carlee

I love it at Oregon State University. The minute you walk on campus you feel like your home. Everyone on campus is friendly and helpful. Dorm life is great the people on your floor really do become like family. The food could be better but the mini markets on campus make up for it. Overall this is the best university in Oregon.