Westerville, OH
Otterbein University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Otterbein University

Jasmine

I would tell myself to stop being a baby and just get prepared already! Yeah its college but it's not that hard if you try and go to your classes, you can do this. Lower your expectations for you new roommate because your probably not going to be best friends, actually you guys might not even get along...at all. But it's okay if you dont because you can always switch or if not you get a new one next year anyway so it's not the end of the world. But mostly i would say to spend more time with your family, because you think you need to spend all your time with your friends that you'll never see again, but what you'll really miss out on is the time with your brother, more importanly your mom. Spend more time with mom! Because she's the one you'll realize you miss the most as she drives away..not your random high school friends. Time is precious and goes by fast, so spend it wisely because you dont get anymore!

You should attend Otterbein if your the type of person that enjoys a close-nit realationship with not only your teachers but fellow students and friends. Being a smaller school you really get the opportunity to experience and interact with people from all different backgrounds, so you also need to be open minded and willing to try new things. But mostly you just need to show that you actually want to do something with your life and the Otterbein community will gladly embrace anyone that comes along.

I mostly brag about how at Otterbein im actually a student and not just a number, that at my college they actually care about my future and want to see me succeed. The fact that most of my classes are really small i get to know my teachers and they get to know me. Most of my friends go to Ohio University and their teachers dont even know their names.

Jhas

A school based around tradition and great ethics.

A school based around tradition and great ethics.

Our school is best known for their communications department and theatre. Otterbein's theatre major always show the best and promising actors, dancers, and production crew that come to make wonderful and enjoyable plays for the students at otterbein. Our communications department is well known for their usage of 97.5 the wildcard and having people work for infamous stations such as fox and people interning for talk show hosts like ellen degeneres.

I would go back in time and tell myself to work harder towards other scholarships and put more time and effort into being an excellent student. I would make myself study at least two hours a night on subjects that puzzle me and confuse me at the same time. I would tell myself that i wouldn't have to worry about popularity or who's going out with who and all that pointless stuff because once you go to college, your looking out for yourself and your own well being too. Your family and the people willing to work hard with you are the only people who you should ask for help or ask for guidance because they understand the struggles of college and how hard it is to stay and keep going. My last advice i would give to myself is always shoot for the best and never for less.

shannon

This school is really good and has a lot to offer. Most of the teachers are great and the location is awesome. Towers Hall is the oldest building and really pretty. The food isn't that great but you can always find something to eat. Not much sports pride especially with the football team.

Definitely greek life would probably be the most popular thing, although many people join other clubs on campus as well. I'm in greek life and it's great, I'd definitely recommend it because it's local sororities/fraternities so it's different from the usual greek life. I met lots of friends there but also in my dorm for sure. Many people are in long term relaitonships here, the theatre people usually hang by themselves.

Definitely diverse, something for everyone. People dress up for class and also go in sweats, it really doesn't matter. Most students are from middle-class Ohio families but there are quite a few from out of state as well. People definitley get involved.

It's great having a small class size on average like 16-20 students usually, because your teacher gets to know you and you can talk to them easily about what's going on in class. The classes can get close especially when you're in the same grade. Work is not too hard but definitely not a breeze, especially if you're in the nursing program which is really good here.

Bunch of theatre kids, don't party, weird. While there are a lot of theatre kids at this school (because it is a really good theatre school), there are tons of other kids as well. Basically a group for anyone, just may take some finding. Cool kids come here too, I think it's a good balance actually. As for not partying, that is totally false. If you want to party you can definitely party, but if you don't want to that's fine too.

Otterbein is clean, friendly, and creates a learning atmosphere that enhances not only the students academic mind but their life outside academics as welil.

Eager to please and excited to learn but know have to have a good time and do it safely.

I would tell myself to relax more and not let the little everyday stresses overwhelm me. You do not have to be perfect all the time. If you get good grades because you work hard that's amazing, but dont worry about getting a perfect score all the time. Do your best, that's all you can do. Enjoy your college experience because this is the only chance you will get. Be smart about what you do, think before you act and if you make a mistake, accept the consequences of your actions and take responsibility. Be there for other people and help them when they need it because you may need their help one day. Be a true friend. Don't change your mind about a friend or a lover simply because of one thing you found out about their past or their personality. That is not WHO they are. Yes, it is a part of them, but it's not all of them. Enjoy your life because this is the only one you get.

In my opinion, two-hundred words are not enough to describe the value of a good college experience, let alone the exponential benefits one recieves from attaining an education. I am a sophomore this year, attending a community college. However, I live on the campus of the large state university in our city, so I get the feeling of being in the university while saving money. My college experience has been fairly amazing so far. The independence and college town environment are exactly what I was looking for when I was coming out of my small-town high school. One of the best things about college is that you can take classes that you actually enjoy! No more boring math and U.S. history for me, which is amazing. Also, coming from such a small and relatively closed-minded community, being exposed to so many different types of people and ways of thinking is priceless. In conclusion, college has provided me with an open mind, friends, independence, and classes I am actually interested in. I am so happy I made the decision to continue my education.

Jaynae

After graduating high school I was very lost. I had no real direction and no sense of self. Continuing my education was something I did because that is what was expected of me. While in school I began taking courses in African American studies and Sociology while in these classes I began to learn. I began to learn from my classmates and hear their life experiences, I began to learn new concepts from professors and I began to step outside of my bubble and learn about the world around me. This exceeded all of my expectations on what college life would be like I figured it was filled with long boring lectures and meaningless friendships that held no value. I was absolutely wrong. By being in college I have been able to discover my true interests, I began to learn more about myself and what it is I want to do and achieve in life. I’ve become more of a knowledgeable person and more self aware. I’ve learned time management skills and the meaning of hard work and friendship. As I continue with my education I hope to learn more and share those experiences and values with others.

Cortney

I'm getting a good education and help in pursuing my dream of becoming a veterinarian. I'm able to work closely with professors who understand my dream and are more than willing to help me in my pursuit.

Someone who likes a small school feel because Otterbein only has a couple thousand students.

Jerrica

My school is perfect for me because it's small, and close to home, and it also has great academics and social culture.

My college experience has been something I would never trade for any other experience. The campus is small, so I can get individual attention from professors when I need it. The teachers and students are all familiar with eachother unlike some lecture classes at large universities. The campus and city of Westerville in general has an extremely home-y feel, where everybody knows everybody. It's a very safe area, and there is always something exciting going on. Otterbein students have a sense of pride and togetherness, which is great because it's important to feel like you're a part of something special, especially something as great as Otterbein. Otterbein not only teaches academics, but teaches that community service and acts of kindness are extremely important. Otterbein does a wonderful job at preparing students for the future by providing them internships and job opportunities as a glimpse to the real world. I'm confident that my choice to attend Ottebein University was the best choice I could have made.

Lucas

My time at Otterbein has given me many experiences that have helped me to develop academically, professionally, and socially. Though some of Otterbein?s individualistic characteristics sometimes frustrated me, I still obtained a valuable experience and top college education while attending this small liberal arts institution. I was able to gain the professional knowledge and skills to be competitive in the current career market. Otterbein has helped me to create a diverse profile that sets me apart from the majority in my field of interest. Through the diversity and liberal arts opportunities that this college offers I am able to highlight on my community experiences, diversity appreciation, and real world understanding. However not every accomplishment that I have achieved can be attributed to Otterbein. To be successful at any institution the personal attributes of the individual students lead to the futures success of their efforts. I have taken the responsibility upon myself to be active in the various experiences that Otterbein provides while also applying myself to many opportunities outside the confines of Otterbein. Otterbein might have been the location and foundation for my success; however it is my personal perseverance and work ethic that has granted me such success.

One of the worst things about Otterbein is its high cost. Being a private institution the school provides a great deal of financial assistance if applicable, however it still is much higher comparative to other colleges and universities. Often to, financial assistance or scholarship will decline after one?s first year(s) regardless of academic standing and college involvement. This is an insidious move on the college?s part to gain freshman enrollment into the school.

One of the frustrating qualities that this college has is the implementation of the quarter system. This poses as a problem for many currently enrolled students and transferring students. Most colleges and universities are on semesters, so when students want to transfer schools, study abroad, or participate in internships they are largely limited due Otterbein?s academic calendar. It makes it difficult to find other programs to participate in or transfer to.

Otterbein University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.