Westerville, OH
Otterbein University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Otterbein University

Lucas

My time at Otterbein has given me many experiences that have helped me to develop academically, professionally, and socially. Though some of Otterbein?s individualistic characteristics sometimes frustrated me, I still obtained a valuable experience and top college education while attending this small liberal arts institution. I was able to gain the professional knowledge and skills to be competitive in the current career market. Otterbein has helped me to create a diverse profile that sets me apart from the majority in my field of interest. Through the diversity and liberal arts opportunities that this college offers I am able to highlight on my community experiences, diversity appreciation, and real world understanding. However not every accomplishment that I have achieved can be attributed to Otterbein. To be successful at any institution the personal attributes of the individual students lead to the futures success of their efforts. I have taken the responsibility upon myself to be active in the various experiences that Otterbein provides while also applying myself to many opportunities outside the confines of Otterbein. Otterbein might have been the location and foundation for my success; however it is my personal perseverance and work ethic that has granted me such success.

One of the worst things about Otterbein is its high cost. Being a private institution the school provides a great deal of financial assistance if applicable, however it still is much higher comparative to other colleges and universities. Often to, financial assistance or scholarship will decline after one?s first year(s) regardless of academic standing and college involvement. This is an insidious move on the college?s part to gain freshman enrollment into the school.

One of the frustrating qualities that this college has is the implementation of the quarter system. This poses as a problem for many currently enrolled students and transferring students. Most colleges and universities are on semesters, so when students want to transfer schools, study abroad, or participate in internships they are largely limited due Otterbein?s academic calendar. It makes it difficult to find other programs to participate in or transfer to.

Sue

It's not too far of a stretch to talk to myself. It's something I do daily. Scary, I know -- but it's where some of us live after 8 kids and 9 grandkids. At least I have an attentive audience. I achieved high school senior status at the age of 45 after homeschooling my 8 children from birth through their own high school seniorhoods. I completed my journalism degree sitting next to them in Algebra and Creative Writing classes and was student speaker 2000. I got happy with my diploma, published a book on homeschooling and began editing a parenting magazine for my church. Ten years later I feel that I quit on myself too soon, and I should have kept the momentum going to get my Bachelor's. So listen up, Self. Here's my advice: "Look, Grandma: don't be intimidated by those whipper-snappers who think they have the world on a string. They have yet to experience the ups and downs that yo-yo affords. Life experience counts a good deal and it doesn't come cheap. You've paid your dues, and it's never too late for lifelong learning. Go for it!"

Marcia

Otterbein was a unique choice for me because of its outstanding graduation rate compared to other schools that I've considered. Otterbein also has an atmosphere that is diverse and student friendly.

"If I could turn back the hands of time," this is a popular statement made by many. We as people often wish we could go back in time and change things. We wish we could go back and undo what?s been done, or do what wasn?t done. If we aren?t wishing we could change the past, we reminisce on our present wishing it were ?the good old days.? I can think back to a time in my life when I wish I would have done things differently. The time I am referring to is my senior year in high school. Making the transition from teenager to a young adult can put a great deal of stress on person. If I was a student counselor, I would have told myself that making the decision to attend college is one of the most important decisions you will ever make. I would have also talked myself into applying for scholarships, as the cost of education can be expensive. By applying for scholarships, I would have made college life a little easier by eliminating the stress of financial issues.

Otterbein is the kind of school I feel anyone could attend because its diverse atmosphere.

Shawn

I waited many years to return to school, following service in the military and the starting of my family. The advice I would offer myself, and that which I've given to my own daughter whom starts college next fall, is "Don't wait!" College is an experience best savored by the young. There is no campus life for a returning student, responsibility doesn't allow for it. Once I've earned my degree I know it will be an accomplishment completed at the sacrifice of my children. As in the time spent in class and doing homework, missing moments in their lives they deemed important to be shared. As well as the disheveled state of my household, with backed-up laundry and limited finances for day to day items, much less vacations. I will complete my academic life with a respected degree and the knowledge needed to further my career, but without the experience of college life and the memories and friendships to be treasured. So, again I would say, "Don't wait! Embrace college and experience all that it has to offer."

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of parking, and infinite attempts of the school to assure the students we don't actually have an issue with finding a spot.

James

Otterbein is like a small family that is located in a small suburb town of Westerville, Ohio and you can be a part of our family at Otterbein because it is a friendly, down-to-earth environment where you can be yourself, while being a part of the family and we value the talents you bring to campus and we will support you as you develop to your full potential.

If I could go back in time and be a high school senior, I would tell myself that I needed to study harder. I needed to train myself to study like I had never studied before. I need to be more involved in Language Arts and learn more about how to write. I might have taken a Journalism class or something of that nature. My first year of college and living in a dorm has been a great experience, I just wish that I had buckled down more in high school. I thought at times that I had it hard in high school, but believe me, college is hard. I love the challenge and I like working with a deadline, I came out of my first quarter with a 3.5, but believe me, I was glad that I wasn't at a partying school like Ohio University! I would have never made it through the first quarter.

A student that is looking for night life should not attend this school. Otterbein is like a small family and the class size is small. Otterbein College is located in the center of Westerville, Ohio, which is a small suburb town. Westerville, Ohio was dry for over 100 years. If you are looking for night life, don't come to Otterbein.

The most important advice I would give myself about going into college would be to not room with anyone you already know from high school, it only makes it more difficult to get to know the other people in your dorm and on your campus; especially since in this experience I have already changed who I am in a lot of ways, since college is an all-around learning experience. Therefore I would also advise that I always leave my options open, and to take every opportunity that comes your way because you will be happier in the end since you have made your choices based on what you want, not what others want for you. Other advice I would give myself is that though a school has more students does not necessarily mean that in social situations you will not find your own group. Also make sure the people at the school you want are the people you want to be around, because if they're not, you will not be happy at that school, which will only cause you more stress.

A person who does not like a liberal arts education that has classes that are not necessarily part of your specific major. Also if anyone does not like a small school atmosphere, or if a person does not want to have to get involved with organizations around their campus, since organizations are basically the only way to get involved and get to know other people on campus.

The most frustrating part about my school is that you have to get involved in some organization to have any type of social life, or even just get to know people around campus.

Jillian

Otterbein is full of different ethnic groups, organizations, personallities; you will be accepted for who you are and return the favor.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself so many different things. First I would tell myself to be sure I have everything organized for my freshman year, classes schedualed, and finanacial aid taken care of. I would also tell myself to buy books online or try renting them. It saves so much money and I can resell them online after I'm done. Make sure I know how to manage time! Completing assignments and having homework done on time is a key componet to achieving a well maintained GPA. Get involved! Join groups, clubs, organizations, plan a study party for a test or final. Take advantage of free opportunities. The most important adivce I would give to myself is stay focused and on task.

You have to be open to other cultures and ethnic groups. Gay rights, preaching, and theater are major diversities with Otterbein College. If you are not open to expriencing new clubs, groups or people then Otterbein is not for you. You have to be very accepting and open to get out of your comfort zone. If you are not willing to put a lot of your time and effort into your work you may want to reconsider your choice. Be yourself, be open and be accepting.

Corey

Whatever you do, do not stress out, classes and homework are not very different from high school. When it comes to textbooks and the required reading, do all of it. Make sure to read all of the assigned reading, take notes, underline, and write your thoughts in the margins if you have to, but you cannot stop at what is assigned. Read the sections and chapters that are not assigned to get a better knowledge and understanding of the material. One thing that is different is deadlines. In college, deadlines are deadlines unless you have a legitimate excuse, but even then, if it was a project well known in advance, no excuse will work. To make the deadlines, you must attend EVERY class, unless you are severely ill; being there and just getting a little bit of information will help you understand more.

As of right now I have not been able to identify anything that I am unhappy with.

Otterbein is made up of very committed students who want to get an education. If you are looking for a "party" college (we have a dry campus and Westerville is a dry city) or just messing around this is not the college for you.

Lesley

Most of my classmates are cool (the type of people I like to be around) and helpful.

I would have to tell myself to be more focused on school work. To ask as many questions as I could to make sure that I fully understand things. Also I would tell myself to think smarter about the way I spend my money. as well as look for more scholarships and grants.

I would had told myself to be more focused more on school work and find more scholarships as well as managing my money better.

Jazmyne

If I were back in high school and someone asked about my plans, I'd say that my first priority was to learn what the options were. You don't need to be in a rush to choose your life's work. What you need to do is discover what you like. You have to work on stuff you like if you want to be good at what you do. I also would tell myself to take the ACT seriously because I only scored a 19 and I know if I took it how it was supposed to be taken I would of scored higher. I also would tell mtyself not to have a boyfriend at such a young age because they dont help you with your future.

Otterbein University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.