Westerville, OH
Otterbein University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Otterbein University

Adri'onna

If I could go back in time, I would have made sure that I checked the price of the school and not just the school being close to home. I would have had my parents work harder on helping me get loans and money for school so I wouldn'd be in the situation that I am in right now. Right now money is my biggest problem, I probably would have worked harder to get a 4.0 instead a 3..0 and above, to have colleges wanting me at their school.

Someone who likes a smaller enviornemt and is financially stable.

To me the most frustrating thing about my school would be the cost. I have the academics and enviornment. The school just cost too much.

Rachelle

My classmates are mostly higher class but very friendly people, always willing to help each other out and form study groups.

Do not get down on yourself for missing out on some senior year social activities! Yes, it may seem like a HUGE deal that you are moving away from your friends but you will meet some amazing people in college. Taking post-secondary courses was probably one of the best things that you could have done to prepare yourself for your future. It might have been a rough social experience you will never regret it, so keep your head up! Be prepared to work your tail off in college! You will enjoy it though, I promise. It's going to get hectic but you will learn to love it and you will find out that you chose the right major, so do not stress! Start your first day with an open mind, willing to learn and meet new people. It is important to establish study groups and have communication with professors, you can share experiences with each other and learn from them. Stay on task and pay attention to what is going on around you. And one last thing, if get a different and interesting opportunity take it and run with it! You will learn a lot that way.

The price of my school is frustrating to me because it is hard for me to find financial aid and recently I had issues with my school's Financial Aid Office because they didn't allow for me to get the money i needed from another source; they failed to update my account from the previous year.

Ali

I would tell myself to be open minded. Don't restrict yourself by allowing your personal beliefs to keep you from exploring new ideas. When you explore new ideas, you learn to make your own opinion instead of being a follower. You'll learn so much about the world and even more about yourself. Forming your own opinion is scary when it contradicts what people have told you all your life. But what is scarier is believing in them rather than believing in yourself. That is not how life is supposed to be lived. Really living is taking that first terrifying step towards becoming your own person. College is the stage of your life to make that happen - to become your own person. Embrace this opportunity. If you do not make the transition now, you never will. Stay positive, trust yourself, and enjoy the ride.

How laid back and open minded the students are.

lori

I would say, Self, you have got to get prepared for the real world out there. There is so much more to see and learn than what I have already done. Get used to living on your own, which means - keep your room clean, doing your own laundry, and be sure to throw out-dated food away. Keep focused on why you are at college and don't let all the pressure of drinking and skipping classes get in the way of studying. Be sure to always have extra quarters on hand to do laundry, you don't want to go to class in the same pair of sweats every day. You'll have to learn to love libraries and taking notes. You will blend in just like all the other new students, so be yourself. You won't just be another number,but a student who is expected to wake up for class, show up for class, be prepared for class, do all the homework for class and turn it in on time. College will be everything you expected if you are willing to be the best adult you can.

I think the best thing about this school is the class size and the location. It sits in a small town setting but is very close to a big city, too, which will help with job hunting.

I tell my friends about all the research and papers that need to be done, it really gets you more involved about the subject being studied. I tell them how the professors really care about how you are doing in class and if things are going ok out of class.

Kyle

Theatre and Nursing, also Equine Science is a big thing there.

Theatre and Nursing, also Equine Science is a big thing there.

Make sure you take the time to reseach the schools. know what they are best at. Go to the school and shadow for a day. Get a feel for the school. You will know when your in the right place.

The School is so Friendly. There are so many nice people who attend this school, and it makes the school warm. Its a great school for the program I am in. It has a nationally ranked Musical Theatre Program that only accepts 8 people and I was one of them. I am learning so much at my time here at Otterbein.

Ervine

Probably the most important thing that most people don't pay attention to is just how close and friendly the proffesor's are to their students. If your like me and prefer an enviorment where a proffesor knows you personally so that they can do their best to help you succeed, then it's important to pay more attention to how a proffesor acts in class than it is their student to professor ratio. Go visit the campus and ask the proffessor if they can name all the students in any class they've ever had, or if they've ever go out of their way to help a student. If it's a personable professor, they should have loads of examples. If their stand offish and aloof, they won't have many, and may even be offended by the question. Also, ask several teachers, because one bad apple shouldn't be allowed to represent an entire school, but if you see a trend, it's probably a safe indicator of what that school is like.

Anyone who's a big party school kinda person. There are some parties, but your really going for parties then their are other schools you can go to. Primarily, the students here are focused on their learning not on getting smashed.

It would have to be that the teacher's are very friendly and go out of their way to spend time and help out the students.

Sara

Otterbein College is unique from other schools that I considered because of the student/teacher ratio. The classes are smaller which allows students more one-on-one time with professors and a better relationship to be established. I like this because it gives me and the professor a chance to know how each other works and the professor can learn about what learning methods help me. Also, this school gives you experience in your selected field during your freshman and sophomore years which is helpful for you to know whether or not you really want to be in that field.

Choosing a college, I believe, is one of the most important decisions you or your child will ever make. It is a place where they will apply what they have learned previously, but they will also be learning about a specific field in which they will somedaythey will have a career and make a living to support themselves and perhaps a family. In college they will also make new friendships and ties with other adults that can shape them and develop their character. My biggest advice would be do visit as many college campuses as possible with your child or your parents. It will help so much in deciding where you fit in and what you are comfortable with. Picking a school where you "belong" is so important in your character development and also in how you succeed as a student and scholar. Also, if necessary decide on a price range and focus on schools within that range to avoid falling in love with a college that you cannot afford and dealing with that disappointment.

Heather

My classmates are great people, they are outgoing, friendly, and very easy to get to know.

Check out all of the schools you are interested in or have been accepted to. You may find something better than your original first choice school. Get to know everything about the school, especially the dorms and meal plans and about the student ID and money plans, if you can use your ID off campus, etc. It is very valuable to learn everything you can about college before you go.

The most frustrating thing about Otterbein College is that they want your money for every little thing you do, even though you pay more than enough to go there up front.

Miranda

Never settle for the first college you visit. It is very important to visit several campuses so you know that you made the right choice for the student.

A person who is not afraid to branch out and experience new opportunities with people of diversity. Also a person who attends Otterbein should be able to be social and want to get involved.

The most frustrating thing is how expensive the tuition is. Also too that I have a high GPA and the school is not willing to grant me more scholarship money.

Mandy

My classmates for the most part are eager to learn and seem like they want to be there.

I am asked that question all the time by parents asking what they should tell their kids since I have completed three years of college and I always tell them to ask what the student really wants or needs. I know I needed a small school because of my learning disability, even though I didn?t necessarily want to go to a small school, I knew what was in my best interests. Go somewhere that will make you happy, not because all your friends are there, because more than likely you will be too busy with your old high school friends you won?t get to know other people outside of your bubble and where you grew up, not to mention you'll probably get bad grades from not being completely focused. It is a hard decision, but it is not a definite one, and your life wont be over if you happen to choose the wrong school your first time, but give it a chance and see if it works.

I like saying that i attend otterbein college because i know it is a good school, and its not something i can just float my way through.

Otterbein University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.