Purdue University-Main Campus Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Purdue University-Main Campus

Pranav

When I first visited Purdue, I was shocked. I was shocked in a good way. Purdue is an old school but the way they maintain it makes it look very new. The tour guides were extremely nice and they would answer every question. The facilities were beautiful. Purdue is a hard school but there are so many stress relievers. I would definitely love to go there but due to financial reasons, I afraid if I won’t be able to.

Dylan

If you enjoy living the city life in the middle of a corn field then Purdue is the place for you. The opportunities that Purdue provides for students are endless, that is if you try to pursue them. Purdue is best known for their tough academics and I have experienced that first hand and students are willing to go to extremes for a single point of extra credit. Besides tough academics, Purdue is normally competitive in sports against the top sports colleges in the nation. Students are motivated to go to sporting events because it takes their mind off of the fifteen assignments that they have the next morning. After living in West Lafayette for a year I realized the real reason why Purdue Pete has a hammer in his hand and it is because of the constant construction going on around campus. Although most of the previous statements have seemed negative, they foreshadow all of the greatness that comes with being a Boilermaker. Construction to build your future. The homework that makes you want to drop out toughens you up for what the real world will throw at you. The sports team breaking your heart every year so you will be better able to handle future heartbreak. Living in the dorms makes you appreciate the little things in life you once took for granted, especially toilet paper that isn't half ply. Overall, life at Purdue is great and I will never regret choosing it as my college. College is only as great as you make it, and Purdue has the tools for you to Boiler Up and Hammer down your future.

Wonderful university, great academics, nationally ranked in many areas. Close to major cities, both Indianapolis and Chicago are reasonable drives. Welcoming environment, college town in smaller-town area. Safe campus, continuously updated facilities. Loved my experience at Purdue. Boiler up!

Leah

Purdue University is a fantastic environment for students to learn. The libraries are always accessible and there is always an open coffee stand near-by. The students are involved and take classes seriously while still enjoying their collegiate experience.

Jacob

Excellent college. There are opportunities for everyone to get involved no matter what interests--academic, extracurricular, religious. New dormitories are being built to accommodate students. Students have the opportunity to join clubs of many different interests. Campus is very safe.

The Purdue University is a very beautiful campus. I visited in the summer and it was quiet enjoyable, i feel that maybe in the winter the trip to your classes could be cold and dangerous. The campus has a excellent range of food options. I stayed a weekend in the dorm rooms and attended multiple different courses. The dorm rooms were small but they would certainly be comfortable to stay in during a college experience. I have done multiple research papers on this school, and i have learned that the out of campus living has many options for an affordable price. I am currently a freshman in high school, and i would eventually like to attended Purdue to get my degree in forensic science.

Jeremy

Purdue University is a great university. Class sizes are very large for the required freshman classes, so it is best to try and test out of them either with AP or CLEP. It is very important to join a club or find your own group or else you may be very lonely.

Cassian

Purdue University is a gorgeous campus with a very diverse population of fun-loving and hardworking students. There are hundreds of groups to join on campus which makes it easy to find people with similar interests. I found the dorms to be very agreeable. Not all dorms have air conditioning but there is only a short season of very warm weather so window fans suffice. Dorms are well maintained and I had a great RA and made friends with the girls on my floor by attending floor dinners and activates. Football is not terribly popular at Purdue. Many students only go to one or two games during the season but people get enthusiastic for the basketball games, especially those against rival IU. There is a wide selection of dining courts to choose from that serve a wide variety of foods. Lastly, I found the academic scene challenging but not impossible. The teachers and TA's are kind and eager to help if you ask. I would highly recommend Purdue University and am proud to say I’m a boilermaker!

I absolutely love Purdue. It is the perfect mix of focused academics and fun weekends. Going Greek was a great decision since it is such a huge part of the campus culture. There is always stuff to do around campus and a ton of ways to get involved. It makes a Big 10 university feel like a home. Not to mention it is a very affordable university that has maintained tuition prices for years.

Travis

Overall a great school! A very beautiful and lively campus, it has the reputation of a big school but when you truly get into it, it feels small at the same time. Depending on what major you choose, you can be in huge lectures or small class sizes, there is a nice relationship between the two.

Kathryn

They make it very evident that they only want to be an Engineering school even though they could be a well rounded school. It's disappointing because the CLA is doing a lot of great work, but the admins brush it off like it's just fingerprinting or something.

It's an amazing university. The only warnings I would give are the math and physics departments and the cafeteria food. The physics department is always disorganized (one exam I had started 15 minutes late because of this), and most engineering students either take math classes in the summer or try to take it at the local Ivy Tech. The cafeteria food has been going downhill in the last few years, used to be amazing. Everything else is amazing, plenty of extracurriculars, many basic shops near campus and the buses go to two Walmarts and a Meijer, so if you don't have a car, you can get enough to drag onto the bus. Most professors will be willing to work with you if you just talk to them, although a few won't respond to emails unless during business hours.

iesha

I loved Purdue! The only thing I would do different is live off campus after my first year to save money. Students have lots of opportunity to get involved, meet new people, and progress as people. The night life is great for 21+. Frats and social groups have events for those younger. Lots of intelligent people around.

raegan

The campus is very beautiful and is always being updated. On my last visit the streets were being resurfaced and the landscape update. I know the weather is very unpredictable also. The dorms were really nice and the staff was very helpful. I really think this is the place for me.

Brianna

Purdue University overall has been a great experience and has taught me not only academics but about myself as a person. There are ample opportunities to get involved in extracurricular activities, clubs, and so forth. If you are struggling in a class, there are plenty resources to ensure you excel.

Jean

I greatly enjoy the staff and personnel at Purdue Global University. They are friendly and courteous.I have gained a great response and feed back from the professionals and especially the personal instructors. I have had a great experience at Purdue Global University.

Alison

I absolutely love the campus at Purdue. I cannot imagine not going to Purdue after spending the last two years there. I would recommend Purdue to anyone and everyone. Over the past two years Purdue's Campus has truly made me feel at home. There is so much to do on campus you never would even have to leave if you did not want to. Being the first member of my family to go to college I was obviously nervous because I had no idea what to expect., but Purdue made me feel so welcomed. The campus was wonderful and I felt so at home.

Anthony

I love it. Even though it may be challenging, I enjoy the reward of being surrounded by others also succeeding with our same circumstances. It's a big school =, which I enjoy. But you can always make it smaller with extracurricular activities and clubs, which I appreciate.

Ariana

Purdue University is a place where I feel I can excel academically as well as expand my social network. The opportunities are endless as well as readily available. The faculty and staff are more than happy to help with any issues you may run into. As for learning abilities, all types of learners can have their criteria met here in order to become successful academically. Overall, Purdue can suit any needs required by all types of learners and has a welcoming community.

Jorge

Purdue university is a great institution that harbors creative learning and academic achievement. I constantly can find people who are motivated by academics and enjoy taking their work to a great level of perfection. A large population of purdue consists of very bright intellectual people. Classes are tough and require a vast amount of time and effort but this being said the quality of education greatly outweighs the struggles that students meet while attending Purdue. This being said Purdue still has its draw backs. As a result of Purdue being fairly difficult academically, it requires a large amount of time and effort, sometimes professors are not able to get back to students and students themselves have to take the responsibility to be diligent and persistent when seeking help. Overall Purdue University is a great campus but no easy cake walk.

Haylee

Purdue University is everything I have wanted in a college. That big ten school atmosphere but home feeling at the same time. Fun student environment and people were involved. The people were so friendly, both staff and students. The food was awesome and there were so many options. I also was fascinated with how many clubs students could get involved in and how many majors were available. I was definitely nervous about going to a big school but they make you feel at home. I can't wait to make another visit back.

Katie

I love the campus and everything is so accessible and everyone is always willing to help you out! Also, the instructors care about all your concerns and know exactly how hard it is to be a student. Everywhere I go I also feel quite safe with our emergency blue boxes on every block.

Maria

Apperently the school leaves you with a really good education but the courses are very challanging, especially in engineering. You can't half ass your way through school here, I learned that the hard way. But over all the people are nice and there are plenty of opportunities to get help if you need it.

It is a beautiful campus that is extremely frigid in the winter. The people there are definitely something to write home about and are extremely welcoming. Great School with excellent academics and a lot of squirrels. Everyone always seems to have so much school spirit regardless of the miserable weather that is occurring almost 90% of the time.

Julia

I feel as though Purdue really stands up to its reputation of challenging and diverse, however finding help in some classes can be really hard. I had one professor who only had one office hour a week and I had class during that time so I couldn't go. I had to fight with him just to meet with him for half an hour outside the class. Luckily, there are help rooms and aids you can speak to about assignments and help. However, if you're looking to get help from your actual professor you may not have as much luck. I hope you do, but I know I didn't and it really turned my opinion of the school upside down.

Kathleen

Purdue University is huge, but if you get involved on campus and find your niche, it feels a lot smaller. The university goes the extra mile to support females in STEM, and they have been very generous with scholarships. The university is committed to getting us out the door, diploma in hand, in four years or less. And Purdue is all about employment, employment, employment. If you can afford this place, I say go for it.

Jacqueline

My overall opinion of Purdue is that it is an excellent school. It offers many opportunities and can make any college dream come true. With tons of majors, Purdue is a school that can work for any person. Although there are 41,000 students at Purdue, the atmosphere is super friendly and the school feels much smaller.

Huynhvi

I love Purdue with all my heart. I was a skeptical at first, thinking it would not fulfill my academic and social needs. However, I was wrong. Purdue is my home away from home, and I could not be anymore excited to spend the rest of my undergraduate years at this school.

spencer

I loved going to Purdue and would have no problem making that decision again in life. I loved Greek Life and I thoroughly enjoyed Big 10 athletics. Campus has 30,000 undergrads but is very contained making life very walk-able and the bar scene is extremely fun and cheap. It was a great place to spend 4 years.

Kristin

Purdue University is an amazing school filled with amazing opportunities and people. The professors are always willing to help and try to create personal relationships with the students, even if the class sizes are somewhat large. The school feels extremely safe always having security roaming the campus, safety apps, a police station on campus, a fire station on campus, and lots of other safety tools and mechanisms. The school prides itself on its academics and works extremely hard to make its students successful. While academics are the big thing at Purdue, there are still lots of options for sports and other recreational activities; even including sports like badminton and fencing! While Purdue wants their students to have fun, the school isn't known for partying, alcohol, or drugs; this keeps the student academically focused and keeps its students safe. Overall, Purdue is an amazing school and I don't think there is a better school out there!

Muriel

Purdue is very STEM-focused with an emphasis on engineering. Campus is big but there is a bus system. Housing is hard to find and expensive the closer you get to campus. There is a lot of school spirit and unity for sports and the school as a whole. Many significant alumni, including 23 astronauts, visit often and give presentations.

Ian

Purdue University is an Engineering school, so most people (like me) that come out of state are coming in as Engineers. I'm really satisfied by the academics here for the most part, and I really love the people and community here. I think Purdue is an excellent college, and a great foundation for the start of your career. I'm sure most of my classmates would agree with me as well.

Ethan

I absolutely love Purdue University, from the people to campus. I made many friends in my first semester, and I the professors were great and always available to talk to. Classes were challenging, and I am definitely learning new things each and every day. I have made amazing memories throughout my first semester of college, and I look forward to making more.

Angela

Purdue is an intense school. Courses are challenging and there needs to be plenty of effort put in to do well. For those that enjoy a challenge it is very fulfilling to know you are going to such a great school and doing well. Of course there need to be changes such as less construction and better food with lower prices amoungst other things, but over all Purdue is a pretty good school.

I think that Purdue is a wonderful campus and it offers a ton to new students. There are always things going on and the people there are friendly. If you like a big community, Purdue is for you. There are always plenty of new people to meet and make new friends. Work smart and have fun! Build friendship and keep old ones.

Raj

It is a fantastic campus and has many different cultures and many different opportunities for people to be active and involved in the community. There are often concerts and community wide entertainment events that people can go to. The only downside is that we need more on-campus housing as Purdue is accepting more and more students each year.

Mariah

Purdue University is an awesome school. Everyone is passionate about learning and they are super approachable. It is impossible to participate in something without making a friend. Due to the campus's incredible diversity, you are bound to meet people from so many different backgrounds ad develop a greater appreciation for the world. Classes are interesting, and professors are knowledgeable and helpful. There are multitudes of activities to do, from sports to clubs to musical groups. There is something for everyone at Purdue University. It has become a home to so many outstanding Boilermakers.

Brendan

Purdue University-Main Campus is a phenomenal campus to join. Before the first week of school starts, Purdue hosts something called Boiler Gold Rush where first year students come in a week early to join in on activities to get comfortable with campus. At this week long event, many friends are formed and students begin to feel like they are at home. As the school year begins, the campus is buzzing with students all around as homework starts to roll in and the football team begins playing games. Academics are hard at Purdue but are well worth it for the friends a student acquires during their college years. In terms of dining courts, it is hard to get tired of the food because there is always different food. It also helps Purdue has 5 different food courts a student can eat at. Each one has a completely different menu. If a student has no time to sit at a dining court, they can swing on by On-the-Go!, a mini mart where students can use meal swipes to purchase an entree and 3 snacks and a drink or 4 snacks and a drink. Homework is bountiful and earning good grades is a difficult process but can be achieved. There are always office hours regardless of what professor you have. Purdue sports has seen a recent uplift as the main sports teams, football and basketball, begin to improve more and more. Purdue students are excited with the direction these teams are heading in. Overall, Purdue is a phenomenal school for not only academics but for its social environment and culture. The students make Purdue a better college every single year.

Ching-Teng

In my opinion, I feel like Purdue University is a good university for students to study and focus on their goal. There's not much attraction around but if you have a car you can either drive to Indianapolis or Chicago for fun. The Academic quality here is great, teacher cares about us. Moreover, we have the third largest recreational center in the US.

Tara

I am an online student of Purdue and every since we transitioned from Kaplan University to Purdue everything has been great. The transition was very easy I haven't had any problems adjustiong at all. For the most part everything really seems the same format just a different name. Either way I like it.

Jesuloba

Purdue University is a truly inspiring campus. Not only is it one of the best engineering schools in the country, it also has a very gifted athletic organization and involvement. The students are extremely academical, however the campus isn't an uptight and overly competitive environment. The professors are really accessible and always happy to help the students. BOILER UP!!!

Stephen

Very bad school. Pumps out one dimensional tech school type students. No appreciation for arts, culture, diversity or critical thinking, A lot of racists in the Agriculture school especially. Constant partying and drinking. Located in the middle of nowhere I made a bad choice.

Gaige

I believe Purdue University is a great school to attend for anyone. There are all sorts of different degrees here and always have the choice to switch if you don't feel like that degree will suit you. Everyone you meet is friendly and you will meet people here that will be with you for your life.

Sharon

Purdue holds high standards for its students -- one can easily assume that every student that attends this top university is more than competent in their respective fields. While this school is mainly known for its heavy STEM focus, that does not mean that any other discipline of study is lacking. A degree from Purdue -- no matter what it is -- will get future graduates extremely far in whatever career they wish to pursue. Overall, even though I have only spent 1 semester here, I just know that by the end of my college career I will truly have felt that I have earned my degree through hard work and determination.

Elena

I absolutely love the campus and the atmosphere there is! There is always a good vibe feeling when I go! All the people I know that attend there love the campus and never complain about it. I know many people who have graduated from there and they were all were very involved and had such high school spirit!

Grant

I am a 3rd generation Boiler! I was born to be here. The campus is outstanding. The professors are cool and interested in your success. There's a lot of diversity at Purdue. There is always something to do besides studying all the time! The best part....I'm getting a great education at the world's best university! Love it here! Boiler Up!

Clayton

Purdue University is overall a very diverse, fun, safe, and academically successful college. I would recommend attendance to anybody because of the extremely wide varieties of options and assistance that's always available. Out of the colleges I've researched and visited, I feel most comfortable at Purdue.

Nina

I have really enjoyed my past year at Purdue. I learned a lot from people both inside and outside of my major. The campus is very nice and organized. I liked all of my teachers and classmates. It was easy to get involved with extracurricular activities and academics while here, too.

Takayuki

Purdue is a great place to develop as a person in many different areas. You will be able to learn from professors who are elites in their prospective field. There is so much going on and you can be involved in so many different things from club sports teams, professional organizations etc. Faculty are always open to answer any questions for students and they will always help you!

Alexandra

Purdue is great! I wasn't entirely sure it was the right fir for me (I'm out of state), but I like it here, a lot! It's very important to get involved early because it is a big campus and you want to find 'your people' pretty soon, but there's lots to do on campus. There's tons of opportunities to learn, grow, and have fun!