Rockford, IL
Rock Valley College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rock Valley College

Looking back at my high school years, it was evidently apparent that the transition was a difficult one. On my first day, as I cautiously turned the corner attempting to settle into my new educational reference, I began to comprehend that no one in the surrounding area resembled me. I did not understand why, and I did not approve of the situation, but it did appear that I had become the minority. The circumstances had left a rough sentiment of loneliness, forcing me to focus more on my insecurities than the future which lie ahead of me. With transparency as my newfound focal point, my educational values began to take a backseat through my high school career. I attempted to blend in and not appear as the new ?Black Girl? on the scene. Now observing my past, I would declare to my senior self that adversity is everywhere! Instead of allowing your differences to cripple your stance, it should uplift you and encourage you to work harder and move further every day. Never permit your insecurities to overshadow your own true dreams, goals, and future accomplishments.

The best thing surrounding Rockvalley College is the outstanding commitment demonstrated by not only the students, but the faculty as well. Professors show an admit interest in their students and are always will to offer assistance when needed.

Before attending Rockvalley College, I wish I was aware of the constant staff availability. In the beginning I was somewhat hesitant to approach any authoritative figure, but in doing so, I was greeted with great sincerity and a willingness to assist.

Matt

Assuming that I could go back in time and visit myself in highschool, I would have advised my younger self to never settle for less then you dream of. In high school I thought I had everything figured out, I would go to Rock Valley as a dual credit student and amass enough credits to finish my associates degree in one year, which would put me graduating at exactly the same time as my then girlfriend. After that my plans involved a lot of speculation about riding off into sunsets, and a vague notion of traveling to Europe. Of course though, after the application deadlines for all of my schools had passed the two of us parted ways, leaving me to finish out my term at Rock Valley without the motivation that caused me to enter it. As a slightly older and wiser college sophmore, I would have advised my less mature incarnation to apply to those schools, and go after his goals. In short college is a time for self discovery, not for baggage, and I would hope that my younger self would have the guts that I lacked; to go after his goals.

I think that the best thing about Rock Valley College Is the community. Most students are in very similar situations, whether coming back from a university or starting a degree program while still in highschool, the college is built from the ground up to help students better themselves. That common goal shines through in the extracurricular organizations like phi beta kappa, and honors.

Quite honestly, the key to college is so simple a cave man could do it. In a nutshell, go to class. Yes thats right. Out of all the pitfalls that face incomeing freshman going to class might be the biggest stumbling block. In highschool , you missed class and all hell broke loose. That is no longer the case, only you are responsible for draging yourself out of bed and across campus, not mom, not dad, you. So in short, you paid for it. Just go to class.

Kiley

I attend Rock Valley College, which is a two-year community college, and I love it not only because of the students, faculty, and classes, but because it places a high emaphasis on student life activites which have allowed me to get very involved on campus and gain valuable leadership experience.

When I was a high school senior I was so concerned about my future and making sure I had it all planned out. My first year and a half of college so far has been an amazing experience and I would have never expected to be where I am today and have had so many great oppurtunities. If I had the chance to go back and talk to myself as a senior I would want to say not to worry because everything will eventually work out. When one door closes, it always seem that five more open to reveal even better oppurtunities than I would have planned. I would also tell myself that I am never going to be given something bigger than I can handle, whether it be a challenging class or being a leader of a campus organization. Even though something may seem unattainable when first presented, through hard work and dedication it can always be accomplished. Overall, my main message would be to be excited about the future, not scared, because even though I may not feel prepared, I am more than ready to take on the challenge.

Before coming to Rock Valley I wish I had known more people who actually got involved in campus activities during thier time there. I had heard so many mixed opinions about the school that I didn't know what to expect. However, as soon as I started there I loved it and became involved right away. I just wish more people would have had positive experiences that they could share with me, and others, in order for students to be more excited about going there.

I am glad my classmates have the same will power and eagerness to learn and help one another.

If I were to go back in time as a high school senior I would make many changes! I was too young to go away to school at the age of 18. I did not know what I wanted to do and wanted to use college as a chance to get out of my house! I would of definitely made the choice to go to the local community college and save money and live at home with my parents. It took me 3 years to figure out what I want to study and I am glad I took my time and found my passion. I am very excited to start studying what I really enjoy! I hope my career will make me feel the same!

I believe Rock Valley is a very open-minded diverse school. There are many young local eager students and many aspiring older people that want to come back to further their degree. An RVC student should be open to diversity and open minded to the many ideas of the diverse staff.

Rachael

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself just to be me. Not to worry what other people think of you. Popularity is not everything, and do not try so hard to fit in. You know what you want to do in life, and where you want to go. You know what your expectations are for you, so do not change that just because the cheerleaders or the ?preps? do not get along with the ?band geek.? Strive for everything you want, and take the classes that will help you, not the ?blow off? classes, just because everyone else is slacking. Be a leader not a follower, and make sure you focus on you and your work because in the end everyone is the same, and leading is better than following. It doesn?t matter if you are friends with a cheerleader, or a football player, be true to yourself and never change who you are!

When asked what kind of person should attend Rock Valley College, well anyone. You should attend this school if you are looking to find youself, or to better your education. At RVC they do not care how old you are, or what race, or what rank you graduated in highschoo. As long as you are bettering youself by getting an education.

Everyone should attend. It doesn't matter if you graduated Highschool top of your class or bottom, or if you just recieved a GED. As long as you want to strive to be as good as you can be, you are doing the right thing by attendig College.

Since I am attending a community college, my classmates are not the average college students in that many of them have full-time jobs and families to think about on top of the stress of taking college classes.

I have learned so much in my first year of college, and I feel like the transition would have been easier if I had someone there to tell me what to expect. First of all, money is always an issue. I would have told myself to work as often as possible and pick up as many hours as I could in order to save up for college expenses. Even going to a community college, I spend hundreds of dollars on textbooks alone. I also would have told myself to be outgoing when it came to extracurriculars. My first semester I only participated in band and jazz band, but with a little bit of warming up I am also now a part of the student government and the campus magazine. I feel like I would have enjoyed my first semester so much more if I had been more involved in campus activities. Finally, I would tell myself to get used to writing papers and studying for hours when tests were coming up. I wrote seventy pages in essays my first semester of college alone, and although I knew college would be harder, I did not know the extent of the workload.

I feel like high school could have prepared me better by placing a greater emphasis on understanding ideas rather than memorizing facts. I also feel that more time should be taken to teach high school students how to write organized papers in many formats. In high school, I only wrote papers using MLA format. In my first semester of college I learned Chicago style citations and APA format. Something else I wish I had more experience with is essay tests rather than multiple choice. Most of my tests and final exams in college have been essay tests.

Bethany

Getting a quality education at a school that has more hands on and one on one help than a universtiy. Most of the professors have worked in the field in which they are teaching so you do learn how the information relates to practical use other than just laerning from a book. With the smailler size of students it's easier to get advice about where you want to head in your field from someone that has been there. If you don't know exactly what you want to do there is a lot of guidence.

Make sure you keep your class schedule as full as possible and try to take classes during the summer so everything stays fresh in your head. Talk to the department heads frequently to you can be sure you know where your passion lies. The last thing that I had ever thought I would want to do with my life is what I'm getting my degree in now. Do what you love not what you thing you want. Each feild of work has so many different opportunities so talk to everyone you can about their carrers and get involved with the community. Jobs are everywhere and voluteering doing something you love in high school can open up more doors than you would ever imagine.

The college worked hand in hand with my high school in getting students ready so I felt very prepared when the transition from high school to college took place. In order to enroll in any classes through the college you have to complete an orientation class and that helps out a lot in answering any questions.

I see my classmates as being divided under two categories. First are the students who are at a community college because they are transitioning between high school and college and would like the experience or are unsure of their major. These students tend to be more applied to their studies. The second group is students who are there only because they have to be and have no desire to be in school. Community college is there for them to get a degree and move on in life without really applying themselves to school.

I think Rock Valley is unique because of its diversity of students. In one class you can have a high school student taking duel-credits and a middle-aged mother returning to finish her degree. There are also students using the community college as an in between phase to determine what they want to major in at a 4 year college. Also there are students working towards smaller degrees required for particular jobs. All of this is set in a racially- and age- diverse atmosphere where applied students can flourish.

Having been homeschooled my entire life until my senior year of high school, I believe that going to a community college for duel credit and then attending it for 2 years actually was an extremely benefical experience. Not only did it give me a step up into the world of college, but it introduced me to the classroom environment and higher academic learning. If I were to redo anything, it would be to go into a 2-year college with a better future plan. I would tell myself to determine what my future goals were ahead of time so that I could either aim for an associates degree at the community college, or know what 4-year school I want to go to. I would also tell myself to participate more in class than I did my first couple semesters. Not only is class experience better, but it is easier to learn through participation. Otherwise, my college experience has been largely positive and I would probably take the same action were I coming out of high school again.

Flora

I believe for Rock Valley being a community college as it is, it's very diverse. So there is always oppertunity to meet someone new and different.

Giving advice to myself in high school would probably difficult. As a child I have been known to be stubborn at times, and the thought of going to college was always a part of who I wanted to be. There was no question that I was scared and a little intimidaded by the fact of going to school and not being surrounded by my usual friends and teachers. I know that the fear I had at that time was fear of the future and what it brought. I would tell myself to not be afraid of what the future might bring but to prepare myself for the advantages that would come of it. Be ready for college, I would tell myself, and be open minded about all of the great oppertunities it has to offer. Everything will fall to place and nothing will hold you back unless you allow it to.

A person looking into this school might see everything just perfect I don't see how someone that is looking into higher education would not want to come here. There are great oppertunities for any type of student. Weather they are looking in for higher education, looking to get a degree for a better career, or simply just wanting to see what type of unique courses are offered. It's an excellent school with great oppertunities to grow.

LeAnn

My school is best known for all of the majors and classes that are offered. The college offers incomeing freshman over 50 majors that you can choose from for your career. The classes are well known for being small, but also creating a personal and perfessional realtionship with the professors and students. The credits are also widely known to transfer over to four year universitys or colleges. They have great programs to help students choose the career that is best for them and their interests.

Rock Valley College is a small community, which is good in a city of 300,000 citizens. Everyone knows everyone on the campus. You can sit at a table and have people walk up to you and start talking. The classes offer great professors. which lead to a future of great networks. The professors are unique in a way that you can go to them with just about anything and they will talk you through whatever it is your going through. It offers long lasting relationships and friends that can lead to a lifetime of strong support.

As a senior the only thing I thought about was graduating. Then for a period of time college; college applications, transcripts, essays, scholarships, and financial aid. I did not know anything about college, so I just filled out applications and got accepted to one of the best private womans school in the United States. Little did I know, that it took money to go. If I knew more about scholarships, loans, grants, and where to find them I would tell myself to not give up,because I had a great oppertunity and l let it pass because I thought I didn't have the money to attend. The advice I would say to myself would have to be , "LeAnn, don't ever settle for anything less than what you give everyone else; study alittle harder and give as much back as you take." The one thing that I would not take back would be attending Rock Valley College. My friends and the community is something that I will remember the rest of my life, but there will always be a part of me that wounders,"what if?"

Rock Valley College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.