Chicago, IL
Saint Xavier University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint Xavier University

Lucy

I highly recommend that you attend a community college first. The loans you take out to attend a 4-year university are going to haunt you for the rest of your life. Your debt will be so high that you won't know what to do with it. Play it smart and finish your 2 year degree first and then work your way up. An Associates will allow you to work in your field, get experience, and allow you to get into a job that will offer tuition reimbursement. Also, look up scholarships. Even if you have the grades, there are plenty of scholarships that do not require a high GPA or for you to be involved in extracurricular activities. Lastly, I suggest you wait to get married and have children until you are completely done with your education. Although having a family is awesome, they will consume a lot of your time because there are many experiences you will not want to miss out on which may compromise your ability to successfully finish your education. Be smart and put your education before anything else because your education will make you or break you.

The best thing about my school is that it is very diverse both in students and faculty. The diversity found within the students and faculty allowed me to enhance my learning experiences. As a nursing student, diversity is an part of learning and in the ability to successfully provide quality care to patients and their families.

Christopher

I would tell myself to focus on work and not to give up. Also i would warn myself about having a relationship while in high school because there have been times where i been thrown off focus by dating girls.

The tuition is to high, most students have to take out loans just to attend there.

Mariam

The first piece of advice I would give myself is to choose the college I planned to go to more carefully. I would tell myself to select a university that has my field of study as a priority and not just because all my friends were going there. Furthermore, transferring schools is complicated and I would save the future me from many sleepless nights. The second piece of advice I would give myself is to change my procrastination ways. Although they didn’t hinder me in high school, college is a whole different ball game. I’d advice myself to study before hand and save my future self from all the stress and frustration of cramming it all in my brain the night before. The last piece of advice I’d tell myself before I got sent back to the future is to make connections with my professors. They actually do want me to succeed in their course and will take the time to help me when needed. Also, the better connected I am with a professor the more sincere the recommendation letter will be when I need it for medical school.

Anyone who's career goal is to become a doctor.

Doesn't have many opportunities for premedical students.

Alexander

With a faculty to student ratio of around 14 the class sizes are perfect for intimate learning and educational experience. All tenured professors must have a Doctorate degree in the field that they teach, all adjuncts (part-time) instructors must have a Master's and be working towards a Doctorate. Class size on average is 23, and this varies on major and decreases as your program progresses throughout the course of your catalogue. If you have any other questions just ask! I was the Training Coordinator for the Student Ambassador program at SXU! mcarthy.a14@mymail.sxu.edu

Typically the stereotype at SXU is that students are south sider's due to the fact that the majority of students are commuters and the school is located right there on the south side of Chicago.

Gina

Overall I think SXU is a great choice. The classes are challenging, you learn a lot, and it provides a positive environment for learning. The small class size enables you to form a closer relationship with your professors which makes it easier to communicates issues with curriculum or any other questions you may have. The only main improvement I would say is needed is the diner food.

Annie

Some of the most popular activities and campus groups are the LGBTQ Alliance, Tangled Up (the knitting/arts and crafts club), and social justice groups. Students join these groups to get involved in social issues, often planning service trips to help those in need here in the US and elsewhere. We do not have any fraternities or sororities on campus except for the honors/business professional fraternities. It is a dry campus, so alcohol is not allowed, but we still have a lot of fun doing activities sponsored by Student Affairs and Campus Life. It's exciting to always know there's something to do on campus on any given night.

Generally students at the school are very open, accepting, and kind toward one another. We have a LGBTQ Alliance at the school, and professors post "safe zone" stickers on their doors to let you know it's safe to talk with them about LGBTQ issues. There are clubs for different religious groups as well as racial groups, and it helps celebrate the diversity in us, but also brings us closer together. The atmosphere is laid back, with students usually wearing hoodies and jeans to class, but I often see students wearing pajamas or other informal clothing. I have found that most people fall either left or center in the political spectrum. Since we are a Catholic school that celebrates our Mercy heritage, there are many religious right students and faculty here, which is also celebrated in our diversity.

All of my professors know my name. The only 'big' classes would be Science or Nursing labs, but generally class sizes are 25:1 or fewer. I am an English major and have loved all of my English professors. They have gone above and beyond to help me become a more engaged and active reader. They are always available outside of class to talk about issues, and are more than willing to make exceptions or help me out in any way they can. Professors here are very understanding and kind, and I really appreciate that. Academics here prepare students for the real world ahead. We are well-prepared for our chosen career paths because of the liberal arts education provided by the school.

We don't have any fraternities or sororities on campus, but we are very familial-based. Students feel welcome here, regardless of their background. We have many sports on campus, so we do have jocks and cheerleaders/dance team, but we also have honors kids and people who practically live in the library. We have a nice collection of hipsters who hang out in Starbucks often, or who can be seen tight rope walking between trees when it's nice out. Overall, we have a lot of different students and we all have our niche, but everyone feels welcome here.

Overall, SXU is a great school. The worst thing is the food. Ask anyone. There are not many food options. The food isn't the greatest either. It is hard to get real food in the middle of the day and at night. Despite student efforts, the only late night food place we had is gone. Our class sizes are great. My teachers know my name and are always available for help. Most of my time on campus is spent in my dorm room and in the library. Because I am a nursing student, I am always studying. The new library has great, quiet study spaces for all students. If you can get used to the food, SXU is great. (We do have a campus subway though!)

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

It depends on who you are talking to and what you are talking about. Racism and abortion are the two topics that seems to trigger a big response from most students.

When people hear that SXU is on the south side of Chicago, the first thing they think of is "poor blacks." This is totally off!! We have whites, blacks, asians, europeans... Our student base is totally diverse.

What's the Greek scene like?

Fraternities and sororities are not allowed on campus. We do have academic Greek societies on campus such as Sigma Theta Tau (Nursing Honors Society).

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Library! Our library was remodeled in the summer of 2011 to offer more student space and more computers. There are also study rooms that can be reserved for 2 or more students. They are little rooms that have a dry erase board and a TV to hook your laptop up to. On the library's main level, there are many open tables and comfy chairs to use for studying. The whole library is a quiet area. If roommates or neighbors are being loud, the library is the place to go to get work done.

It is scary at first, but it becomes comfortable. The first week or so is a time of getting to know campus and meeting people. Leaving your door open is a great way to meet people. If you have an interest such as writing or volunteering, join a group to meet people. SXU holds a Welcome Week at the beginning of every year. It is full of games and free food! It is a fun time and a great way to meet new people. Try to connect with a faculty member on campus that you are comfortable approaching if you are having a problem. Connecting with an adult on campus is a great way to ground yourself and begin making a network.

Describe a typical weekend.

People go home. There are very rarely events over the weekend besides sports. Campus life says that they do not plan events on the weekends because not many students stay. Students say they do not stay because there are no events. It is a viscous cycle.

Midnight Breakfast!! During finals weeks, campus life offers free breakfast from 2200-0030 to students. There are pancakes, eggs, sausage, bacon, hash browns, milk, oatmeal, orange juice, apple juice, fruit... All for free!!!!!!! Midnight breakfast is the greatest!

Our campus has a beautiful chapel, since it is a catholic school. All religions are accepted there. We also have beautiful landscaping and our own lake.

What do students complain about most?

Food. Food. Food. There are not many options to get food. The only late night food place we had was closed despite huge opposition from students. This year, a subway and starbucks have been added though. The hours are pretty good. Unfortunately, after 11pm there is no available on campus food. Also, the food is not the greatest and there are not a lot of different options. In our diner, there is a breakfast section that is there all of the time; a salad bar; sandwich station; the "carvery" which has different meats and vegan meals daily; the grill with burgers, fries, hot dogs...; and of course the pizza station. Unfortunately, pizza is only served for lunch. The sandwiches and specialty salads are pretty good though!

Describe the dorms.

The freshman dorms are old and smelly. Simple as that. BUT the upperclassmen dorms are new and pretty awesome! The freshman dorms are a good size. There is a "walk-in" closet and a sink in the room. The upperclassmen dorms are like apartments! Kitchenettes, private bathrooms, private bedrooms, and a nice common room. Each dorm also has special spaces to study, hangout, or just get away from your roommates :P

Why did you decide to go to this school?

My main reason in going to SXU was definitely the nursing program. The past two years (2010-2011) had a 100% past rate for students who took the licensure exam. Also, I wanted a small college where I could get one-on-one support and help from my teachers. Almost all of my teachers know my name and I love it!

Sports, newspaper, and radio are really the most popular groups on campus. There are many major-based groups also. New groups are being started every week, so there is always a group for you! And if there isn't, you can create one!

Brennan

Students are very diverse. It is defiantly a place of mixed culture and different backgrounds. People get along though despite different races, religions, social class and whatever other classification you can think of. The only student that would feel left out I think is the party and club scene people, but if you are going to college for partying and clubbing you might want to reconsider going here. Move on, I believe most of the student are from Illinois and are probably within a 3 hour car ride home and I think most are upper to middle class. Another point to bring up is about the politically awareness at the school. Overall I would say it is slightly above average, but not by much. I don’t see too often people reading the papers but there are politically clubs and such. Sometimes students organize petitions for a political reason. The students get along well together. I have never seen a fight breakout and in my three and half years attending the SXU I think I have only heard about one or two serious fights.

I love going to Saint Xavier University. I honestly cannot see myself attending another school. My experience here has been amazing. I personally came here because it was a smaller school and the classes allow students to interact easily with professors. Most professors know all of their students by name which I really like. I hold a lot of respect for all of my professors and other students tend to really like their professors too. I think that makes Saint Xavier unique. When I tell my friends about that who attend large universities with lecture halls they get very jealous and tell me how much it would help them if they were able to ask the professor a question without them being too busy to give a complete answer or just telling students the answer is in the book. As for school pride, it exists but it is not excessive. People are proud of the school but school pride seems to be expressed in a laid back fashion. People will go to games and cheer and do typical college sport fan stuff but school pride is not forced on anyone. It is a very relaxed place overall I feel. The school makes me proud to go there and has a very good reputation outside of the campus. When telling family or anyone that I go the Saint Xavier University the answers are all pretty much along the line of people saying “Oh, wow. That’s a good school!” while they nod their head. People are always impressed when I tell them I am receiving my education of SXU. The school has built a good reputation over the years. Its reputation goes farther than just the community as well. Graduate School and companies looking for interns also acknowledge that Saint Xavier is a good school and business trust Saint Xavier students because they know that the student has received a good education. The overall opinion I have heard about SXU has always been positive but I have heard people complain about some things. A lot of people complain that the tuition is too high which is understandable because college is expensive. This university is defiantly not cheap but they do offer scholarships and send students emails about available opportunities to lower tuition coasts. Also, the common complaints have to do with the cafeteria. I sometimes feel that the food is plain or too expensive. I have to admit as a vegetarian I am able to find something to eat every day, even though sometimes I am not excited to eat whatever it is a bought. Sometimes though I feel that I can not be as health conscious as I would like though, the fruit is not very good and I end up choosing French fries because the fruit isn’t ripe or something. The school has improved it lunchroom since I started going there my freshman year. The final common complaint is that there is nothing to do around there. It can be difficult for students to get downtown or find something to do but the school tries to make it work by having student join clubs or having pep rallies. I can see why students want to get off campus and find something to do. There are no places really to go besides restaurants around the campus. So no concert venues or parks are really accessible to the students.

A stereotype that I can confirm that I have heard about Saint Xavier University is that it is for women. I have not really seen any other stereotype. People that like sports talk to people that read comic books and hipsters talk to mainstreamers and so forth. Also, if you are looking for that Van Wilder college experience, it is not going to be at Saint Xavier, people seem more focused on their education than at other schools. Everyone intermingles and seems to get along well. While it is true that the female population appears to be much denser it is still comfortable for both male and female students. I have not seen any problems with the ratio of men to women or sexists bias in the classroom. The school makes it fun and safe for everyone and really treats both sexes as equals. The only reason for more women attending Saint Xavier is due to its education and nursing programs. These two fields attract a lot of people to the school in the first place. I guess one can say that this brings up another stereotype about the university. Some people think that Saint Xavier is only a school for people that want to pursue a career in teaching or to become a nurse. I would defiantly say this is not true. I feel that Saint Xavier University is preparing me to move on the grad school or enter the professional world and I am not a pursuing a career in nursing or education. While it is true the SXU is well suited for nursing and teaching programs it also provides a great education for people majoring in English and the Fine arts, Sociology, Humanities, Math and Sciences and many more. This University makes it possible for individuals to find their life path and find a career field for that is best suited for them. This is a very well rounded school and will provide the education that is needed for future careers and further education.

Demetria

Imagine looking at an old photo from the early 20th century. When you think of anything c oming from that century, you mioght think of black and white. That exact analogy best describes my classmates. Although, there are other racial ethnic groups, as there are shades of grey hue in any old photograph, the majority of the larger picture is black and white.

Dear Self, First off, how cool is it that I am able to write to you and tell you everything that you need to know to survive in the real world. Oh, before you wonder what the "real world" is, let me just tell you that it also includes people other than your closest friends, family and school (go figure!). Now, I know how ridiculously tired you are of graduates coming back and blurting out the same advice on how to do well in college. This advice I'm about to give you may come as a surprise but....THEY ARE RIGHT!! College is nothing like high school. No professor is going to give you thousands of chances to turn in late work, nobody is going to pressure you to study and NOBODY will care more than you will if you fail. So, I suggest that you work on that little procrastination problem you have. Also, it wouldn't kill you to fill out more scholarships. Trust me, that will save you from spending money on tylenol from the headaches you get from mom pestering you about it. Other than that, you should be fine. Love, Your Future Self

I consider the professors and staff to be the best thing about my school. After all, what would any college be without it's staff? Of course, there are some really strict professor, but the vast majority of the staff and professors I've met were very helpful, kind and available. I feel as though most of my accomplishments are owed to their dedication in helping student like myself who sometimes need a better clarification of the subject.

kelley

Saint Xavier is the type of school you either love or hate. We are very small,so you get to know everyone pretty well, which can be good or bad depending on the people. Our sports are good, but there isn't a lot of school spirit. We have great teachers for the most part.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

SXU is the oldest Catholic University in Chicago. It is a Sisters of Mercy institution with around 5000 students, located on the Southwest side.

Think long and hard before coming here

Tell us about the food and dining options.

There are a few different options. There is the school diner, which is open every day. There is Rhubarb's, which is a convenience store type place. There is a Subway in the gym. There is a Starbuck's in Morris Hall. There is a small coffee place selling starbucks and bottled drinks next to the library. Across the street is Gilhooley's, where you can use your meal plan. There are also many non-SXU affiliated restaurants in the area.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

It all depends on which crowd you hang out with. Make sure to read The Xavierite every Wednesday to keep up with what's going on.

It's going to be scary at first, but everyone is really friendly. The teachers all want you to succeed. It takes getting used to, but you will get a routine, find friends, join clubs, and have fun.

There is not a stereotype of SXU students. We pride ourselves on our diversity.

It is small and intimate. It is easy to get from one end to another, so short breaks between classes usually are not stressful. Plus all of the dorms have something different to offer.

There really isn't a stereotype of our students. We pride ourselves on diversity. It is even one of the core values of sxu

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I got a decent scholarship, and I knew I wanted to go to school in Chicago

Describe a typical weekend.

For those who live close by: most go home whether it is to work or just to do their laundry. for those who live farther away: go to a home game if there is one, homework, gym, going out, etc. It really depends on person, course load, etc.

What's the dating scene like?

It's a small campus, so it isn't too hard to get to know people. On the other hand, since there are so few people, there isn't as much of choice of potential dates. But, people go out on the weekends and you never know who you'll meet

What's the Greek scene like?

Fraternities and sororities are not allowed at SXU

Founder's and Mercy Days are pretty big since we are a Sisters of Mercy school. Midnight breakfast at the beginning of finals is pretty fun, as is late night and the taste of SXU.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The link, which connects Rubloff and McCarthy halls is great. I'm not a library person but the study rooms there are wonderful as well.

What are the most popular classes offered?

Since the classes are specialized, there really isn't any classes that are popular with everyone.

When you step off campus what do you see?

You are surrounded on all sides by Evergreen Park, a lovely community.

Describe the dorms.

the quad hall dorms are nice. There are study areas and the rooms themselves are super nice. most people are friendly, so you might make some friends just walking down the hallways

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

Best: Lots of great students orgs, athletic events are free for students,free events during the year Worst: A lot of times the events are not the best, student apathy

What do students complain about most?

The food, the lack of events,and the apathy.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

All of the days when we have had speakers for the Voices and Visions series. So many amazing people have been to our humble school

The first thing you see is our gym, across a small street is our main building, behind that there is the lake, the dorms, and at the back of campus, the student media building

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Our football team just recently lost their first regular season game in three years, so football is kind of a big deal. Other sports are pretty popular as well, but we are not a very sports oriented school.

Tell us about your professors.

I have only had a hard time with one professor in my 3.5 years at Saint Xavier. On the whole the professors are intelligent, funny, friendly, and helpful. Of course classes can be boring sometimes, but that is just how it goes. The professors here are usually very willing to lend a hand outside of class and explain in depth in class

What are your classes like?

It depends on the type of class, really. And the teacher of course. For the most part, the teachers are really helpful and there isn't an overabundance of work. For my majors (Communications and Political Science), the classes are more paper oriented than test oriented, but of course there are always tests to be taken.Teachers usually really like when you participate in discussions.

There are tons of student organizations on campus that put on programs. There is at least one thing a week going on, usually more.

Pretty diverse, mostly accepting. A little bit on the conservative side because it is a Catholic school, but plenty of liberals to be found.

Generally, the professor take an interest in you as a person and your life. Since we are so small, the professors, especially the ones in your department will foster a relationship with you throughout your years here.

Not many people know about Saint Xavier, so there really are not many stereotypes.

Saint Xavier University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.