San Francisco State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for San Francisco State University

Gina

San Francisco State University holds true to its motto, "Small School, Big Impact." Located on 19th Avenue in San Francisco, it provides a wonderful college experience in the city. I had the opportunity to learn about a variety of different subjects outside of my major, because the school is socially and environmentally conscious. The students are free to express themselves, being in such a progressive city. I made life long friendships with many of my classmates. The only flaw is the availability of housing, for it is very limited. Upon graduation, I became a very competitive candidate in the job market. I had full time work in my field within 3 months. As well, SFSU is an affordable public university; I was able to graduate with a very minimal student loan.

Thanh

I love it! I transferred from a community college. It feels great to actually be on a campus that feels professional. In my Mechanical Engineering program, you are required to see a counselor to make sure your on track. That is great because i had wasted semesters at my community college, because it was hard to pick the right track. Overall LOVE IT.

Michelle

SFSU was exactly the school I was looking for when I graduated high school. I did not want a school with a focus on sports or Greek life. I was able to explore the wonderful city of San Francisco and all it has to offer, as well as receive an amazing education. By attending SFSU I found out who I truly was and made life long friends along the way.

Brian

I love it here, this new environment is amazing. The views are really nice, things are pretty close so you don't have to travel much. If you come here, you won't regret it especially if you happen to live on campus. People here are super chill so you won't really find any problems here.

benjamin

It is a great school with a great location and I am excited to attend. The school has a relaxed vibe and I really love the weather. I'm very excited to meet my professors and become a gator in the fall. The school also has plenty to do on the weekends after a long week of hard work.

Juliza

I honestly feel like San Francisco State University has a good learning environment. I like how everyone is involved in the school and how no one is left out. It's like a big family that is with you and supports you, always. I also love the location it's near all the nice places I like to visit. I would like to go and be part of the SFSU environment and be a student there. I feel like I'll really get to know who I am in reality and what I really want to major in. I have always had the hope to go back to the city. I recently live 40 minutes away and now that I'll be graduating next year, I would like to apply to San Francisco State and get as many financial aid to make my college experience unforgettable.

Aurelia

Studied at SFSU for one year as an international student (France). Loved it, people are very politically active and culturally aware and open-minded about everyone. Lots of international students and different cultures are celebrated. Food on campus is okay. Housing is very expensive. Teachers are nice and available to help always, but classes are very easy and I did not find them to be challenging. A few activities are offered on campus but as an international student I was disappointed by the lack of school spirit. Very few sports games and people don't care about them. No parties on campus at all. There's a few sororities & frats but they dont seem to have much of an impact on school life, I barely saw them during the year apart from when they were recruiting and tabling at the quad. Major plus for SFSU tho is it being in San Francisco, an incredible, gorgeous, lively, open-minded, colorful, beautiful city!

ashanti

I am currently a new student that will be attending San Francisco State University, I have heard so many good things about the school, for instance they have great internships and programs that I may be interested in joining while attending San Francisco University.

Paige

I really do enjoy my time at San Francisco State University. I have had only amazing professors and I have met great people. The campus is super easy to access and it is near housing options. My one problem with it is the cost, which I can barely afford with the loans and jobs I have.

Simran

I really like the amount of diversity we have and people here are all very determined to purse their careers. The people here from students and teachers are all friendly and it is not hard to make friends and get along with one another. I am very happy that I got the opportunity to go to school here, however the food could be better.

Joanna

This college can be both predictable and unpredictable. It's easy to get around and meet a ton of new people. It is common to see them while you are walking to your class or spontaneously run into them at the library. It may be a safe campus but that doesn't mean there are no threats. Robbery and burglary are starting to get common. Hopefully, it'll end soon.

James

Very welcoming atmosphere. The weather is a big downer though, especially if you’re not from the Bay Area. It is mostly cloudy but it’s something a cozy sweater could fix. Facilities are nice and the campus layout is really easy to get to recognize.

Evan

great. I love the school

myra

Overall, I love attending San Francisco State. I was able to move away from home to a really nice and diverse city. The people here are extremely friendly and I was able to make a great friend group. This school really isn't the place if you're looking for a party school. Although they do have parties you're going to need to know people who throw them in order to find out or if a friend lets you know.

A.

Great timing with classes as an undergraduate. Classes are too late for graduate students, although, it is understandable why they are late. I wish they take into consideration our commute time, too.

Anisa

“ Hey, what school did you get into?” All of my fellow classmates were going around asking about college acceptances. Even the faculty participated in this event where in class we were asked to say what colleges we were going to attend in the Fall. Little did I know, there were socially accepted answers to this question. My fellow classmates proudly stated their colleges from UC’s to Ivy leagues. Because Lowell High School students have a reputation of being the best academically so this should also be reflected in the college they attend. I wasn’t necessarily the best student. Despite my grades being average, it didn’t reach the marks of my overachieving classmates. When I told others the name of my college, San Francisco State University, I was given a look followed by “ What school are you going to transfer to?” Mediocre. Commuter school. Community college. These are some of the associations that come to mind when people think about San Francisco State. I originally had that same mindset of my fellow peers. However, after attending and graduating, I realized that State is unfairly labeled. S.F State is a university that is conscientious of students where our needs come first. There is a newly remolded library complete with a lounge, café and study rooms with white boards. It was my central meeting place for group projects and study sessions. I would frequently grab an iced gator (mascot theme coffee) and head to the library. On campus we also have pool tables, an arcade and even a pub! There are many activities for students taking a study break or to reduce stress from classes. Although all of the activities on campus are commendable, the most lauded characteristic is the professors. The instructors want each and every student to not only understand material but also develop a passion for the subject. Even when classes fill auditoriums, the professor attempts to get to know students on a personal level. I remember in my biology class one of our assignments was to write an introductory paper. One day I went to office hours and she said my name. I was so surprised! I can’t think of any other University that is set on putting a face behind assignments and test scores. It is easy to overlook San Francisco State due to the many well-known Universities in the area. Many are quick to judge the quality of education that Francisco State university has to offer. In my experience, San Francisco state is an amazing university that strives to create an environment with students in mind.

Phung

Overall, San Francisco State University is a good school. I commute to school everyday like most of the students here since this is a commuter school. I feel fairly safe but security at night can be improved. And the courses and professors are good. I've enjoyed all the classes I've taken so far. I give my school 3 stars.

Erika

San Francisco State University teaches you how to be a responsible adult. it is easy to fall behind, but the system challenges you to get your life together. The campus has a ton of resources that you must have to figure out on your own, which takes up a lot of time, but when there is a will, there is a way. Overall, SFSU is a great campus and there are definitely a ton of opportunities (academically and professionally) if you are open to them!

Lamar

Overall, San Francisco State University is what you make of it. It's not the most exciting school, but there are clubs you can join and people you can meet that will make your college experience a fun and interesting one. It's really up to you to make the most out of college.

Lennevoir

My over all opinion of SFSU is that to experience college life, you have to put yourself out there. SFSU is a commuter school where most of the individuals are there to get what they need done, then leave. Though, when you take the time to enjoy and explore SFSU is welcoming. The diverse staff and students make it feel like a second home.

Fatima

San Francisco, overall is an amazing city to mature in. The city life forces you to immerse into the different cultures and everyone is accepting on who you are. San Francisco State University carries an abundance of diversity and I have definitely met my long time best friends in this university. Your time at this university is not determined by getting straight A's but definitely by your involvement in student ran organizations and the community you build.

mimi

I am currently a Junior at San Francisco State University majoring in B.S -Visual Communication Design, otherwise known as Graphic Design. Before taking Upper Division courses for that major, each student must enroll and pass all of the Design prerequisites. When I first entered this major, I was excited to learn more about design as a subject, career, and its culture. Although the design classes are pretty big(35 students), I have to give certain professors that I have chosen for my prerequisites for an average rating. Some of them tend to be unclear and boring with their instructions. In other words, we are on our own most of the time. Therefore, we have to go online and search for sources on how to use a certain tool properly in the Adobe Creative Suite. For housing, if you are a transfer student and want to live on campus, you will be randomly placed at an apartment with random roommates in the University Park South or University Park North community. I initially lived at University Park North. Frankly, I did not enjoy my stay at that apartment. It was small and my roommates had certain habits that drove me nuts such as smoking in the rooms, partying, and having sex in the apartment with random men they found on social dating apps. I then moved to University Park South where the community was much more peaceful, had a bigger space, and nicer roommates. They even have a quad that all of the residents share. If you decide to move due to a roommate conflict, you only have 48 hours to move, which I found ridiculous because we all have to study, do homework, etc.. you know the drill. All in all, if you like the party environment, I would recommend UPN. If you need a more quiet environment, I recommend UPS. As for food, the food on campus is not good and can get tiring, I recommend cooking your own food or buy lunch at the mall Campus Safety has been an issue lately. We recently had a couple of bomb threats on campus, theft, residential burglaries (mainly), campus rape/ assault, and reckless driving around the area. To prevent this, make sure to lock all doors of your apartment. As people said earlier, SFSU isn't known for sports or school pride. However, we do have soccer. For extracurricular activities, if you are a design major and you are looking to expand your knowledge on design or would like to know more about design as a career, I recommend joining, design guild, AIGA, or IDSA (Depends on what design major you are).

sabrina

San Francisco State University is a wonderful school. It's rather small and easy to get from class to class. Even though the campus is small, there are thousands of students. What I love about the people is that there is so much diversity. You learn something new every single day.

Linda

I love this school. I am very happy with every professor that I have taken classes with. I have never felt unsafe around campus but there has been a few vandalism incidents, however school has reached out immediately to make sure that we all are aware of the situation. I live in Santa Clara and even though I have to commute, this school is really worth it. I do not regret choosing San Francisco State .

Abigail

It's alright. The school itself is big. The services and staff are not too helpful. But the classes are very interesting. There isn't much good food. And it's expensive.....It's San Fransisco. Consider using the bus and BART.

annie

San Francisco State University is a cultural driven institution accepting of every student and their personalities. The professors and staff are always available through electronic or in-person communication which offers the students more motivation and inspiration to complete higher education. The educational and financial programs that the institution offers are outstanding with great opportunities for students as well.

Naiseth

My overall opinion is that San Francisco State University is an amazing school with a plethora of opportunities for not just creative majors but all kinds of majors. The environment is just perfect for a stone looking to get away from familiarity and are wanting a more vibrant place.

Gabriella

San Francisco is a beautiful campus with great curriculum. From the academics to the outside life. Students are very all involved and I can’t wait to attend! Also, so much to do in the city while living there and adventuring off to when you want some excitement.

Bella

San Francisco State University has been a roller coaster for me. I have only been attending school for a year, but I have learned much about the University. My experience started off very lost and confused. As a freshmen I did not understand how to register for classes, get access to the academic help I needed, or plan for the future. Now that I have been attending the school for a while, I very much enjoy San Francisco State. The transition from high school to college was rough, however, sticking through it benefited me in the long run. The campus is beautiful and not large (which is great when trying to run to class). The food is amazing and I love hanging out in the cafe to work on my homework. The class sizes are small which make it much easier for students to ask questions and get the help they need. I have had great professors with a couple bad ones so far. Now that I am more used to the school, I have a grasp on the courses I need to take. The advisors I have had so far have not been helpful, with the exception of one that helped me understand my future roadmap. In terms of classes, it is difficult to get the classes you would like at SF State. Many of my classes have been cancelled after registering, even prior to COVID-19. This makes it difficult to get the course you would like because after figuring out your schedule, the classes end up cancelled. Then, once you go back to register for another class, they are all picked over and gone. My experience at SF State started out rough, but is getting better and better each day.

Dennrielle

San Francisco State University is a great college with many resources at your fingertips. Professors maintain their office hours and highly encourage their students to come to their office hours regardless of the type of assistance they need whether it be a small question or writing help. Though some classrooms are quite small, it allows for students to really grasp what they are learning being so close to the professor. With the bigger lecture halls, it seems as though it may be difficult to properly learn in such a wide space, professors often open class discussions and reserve some class time for any questions or clarifications on a specific point. While on-campus housing seems more convenient for those who are from far distances, the dorms feel detached from the campus itself. Though homely, it still has a large walking distance between the dorm and the classes which may be inconvenient for physically challenged students. SFSU offers off-campus housing which requires commute by bus, which again feels too detached from the "college life," and feels more like work rather than a proper college experience. There is a wide variety of choices of food to choose from, however, meal plans only include 3 locations on campus. Students may get tired easily of going to the same three places constantly, but unfortunately cannot eat more than they are given due to the limitations set by the meal plan. After eating, it is typical to make a trip to the restroom. The restrooms are cleaned regularly so there are rarely ever cleanliness problems, though the toilets are sometimes difficult to flush and the sink water in some building have a peculiar smell. In terms of extracurricular activities, there are many, but they are not well promoted. At the beginning of each semester, clubs have booths where they promote themselves and recruit new members. Other than that, during the rest of the semester it is unknown what is going on in school. Occasionally they are flyers and students spreading the words about events within their club, but not many put in the effort to get involved in extracurriculars. Fortunately enough, after a long day of class, there is a mall connected to the edge of campus, merely walking distance away which is a great place to relax and hang out with friends. Aside from that, right across from the mall there is access to a train station where students can take a short ride to downtown San Francisco where they can explore the city and enjoy the scenic view of the Golden Gate Bridge, go shopping in the larger-than-life outlets, or have a nice meal out of the variety of restaurants. Overall, SFSU is a decent school with their pros and cons here and there, but excels in resources and academics, and offers a selection of activities to do if you are willing to commute. The classrooms are not the best and the restrooms facilities are less than adequate, but the on or off campus housing are sufficient enough. This school deserves four stars because though it is great, it could be better.

SFSU is a great university it has many activities throughout the semester for students to get involved with school outside of class, it could use more activities and events to get students involved and to have fun outside of class. Most professors are great, and you can really get a valuable education at this school.

Prosperity

When you first visit campus your excited to be a gator and gain college knowledge. The fact this school has so many amenities it'll distract you from the real issues this school has when you actually become fully admitted student. Even though san francisco is known to be expensive area this school can become way expensive over time. Don't do on campus housing its the worse thing about this school. I stayed in the tower village centinneal square from fall to spring even on winter break and it was thr worst mistake to join this school and live on campus. First of all when me and my roomates first moved in our dorm room had a big ant problem then that went away . Then later down the line we had fleas coming out the sink drain, we caught 3 mice on mice traps because this school is infested with mice and rats ! You can see raccons and rats running in the bushes and acroos school campus at night. The food places where it accepts your meal plan, you see a family of mice walking across the sidewalks by food area. The school doesn't properly inform you that on winter break maintenance will not be working. So you end up seeing the trash bins down the hall over flowing onto the ground for a months worth of trash not being taken out. If anything is wrong with your dorm room during that winter break you just have to wait to get it fixed until maintenance is back to work after winter break. Not only did this dorm room had insect and mice problem the heater was broken and there was black mold growing on the wall. If you complain to housing about your dorm problems all there going to tell you is that they can't help you . To pay over 14 thousand a semester for on campus dorm with alot of problems isnt worth it and unfair to not be informed before moving in of the housing problems . Not to mention the hot water was out for a whole week in two dorm buildings because a piece broke in the boiler room. Taking cold showers for a week is not pleasant so is not being properly informed on what class #s to add when you choose a math and english class . As far as education wise I believe the math department forcing people who are in a certain category to take two math classes is unnessary especially when the second class doesn't apply to anything u learning i the other math class. Overall I can say the school landscaspe, convient stores, and other amenties makes this place look great but they have issues threy need to fix about this school.

Munira

The reason I chose to attained SFSU is because of their diversity in culture, education, activities! Everyday you see new faces, new dances, new groups, and new helpers. Despite the commute I have to take, I look forward everyday to going because I feel like it’s home.