Phoenix, AZ
South Mountain Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend South Mountain Community College

karla

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to quit school. I quit school about three months before graduation. I finally recieved my high school diploma in August of 2011. I got to participate in the graduation ceromony in June of 2012 and I graduated with honors. I wish more than anything that I would have done it all back in 1998 with all my friends. I am attending college now and trying to get an associates degree in radiology. Being thirty-three years old, working, married and a house full of children, it is not easy. I am very proud of what I have accomplished, but it has really been hard. It's been so long since I've been in school. I'm having to learn things all over again because I can't remember them. I think about the career I could've had if I had only stayed in school and finished all those years ago.

Emeline

The best advice I could give myself would be to look up and sign up for as many scholarships as possible. To look up scholarships every day for at least two hours a day.

Out of all the things I wish I knew about South Mountain before I went there, would be of the number of scholarships that are available.

South Mountain Community College is simpe, small, quick. Viewing everyone more as individuals than just a number.

Zina

It is best known for its diversity, and dedicated professor.

It is best known for its diversity, and dedicated professor.

I would tell myself to continue to study hard and be appreciative for the homework, quizzes, and tests that are given by the teachers. They give homework, tests, and quizzes for a purpose and that is to prepare us for the college life. I would tell myself to never take school for granted and that hard work will pay off in the end.

Not all students have a good attendance record

Monique

My school is a great place to come and get an education.

My school is a great place to come and get an education.

Never give up on getting an education. And there are no excuses not to go to school.

I wish that i would've know that there are many ways to pay for your school besides using your own money.

Jorge

South Mountain Community College is a great school, great campus, great teacher, and overall just a great college

If I could go back in time, and advice myself, I would tell myself college, and high school are two different things. For once, you are paying for college, either through financial aid, or your own pocket money, and high school you are not. Second, high school students main focus is fashion trends, and popularity, college is not. I would just tell myself to focus more on the skills they are teaching me on my last year as a high school student, so I can somewhat have something to take forward into college.

I wish I knew that college, and high school were two different atmospheres.

Kristi

The school I chose I chose because it is most convenient by being less than two miles away from my house. That would make it quite unique as to all the others are 10 miles or more away. It does not have my major like I stated above, but I am retaining my prerequisites then will transfer to another college about 10 miles away who does offer a degree in Interior Design.

As a high school senior I was excited to be entering into my college years. I originally went to Ivy Tech State College in Indiana full time. I started slacking, majorly. The fact that I was paying for college with mutual funds left by my Grandmother there were no rules to stay enrolled like there is with financial aid. So, I did poorly when I would actually go. Resulting in being dropped because of numerous absences and left with nothing to show for all the money spent. I then went to another college and did the same thing. Once realizing this is something I NEED in life I applied for financial and started attending every scheduled class on time and trying my hardest. I didn't realize the importance of ataining higher education as I do now. I should have told myself that in my life not going to college isn't an option. Not only because I am passionate about the degree in which I am slowly achieving but also because there isn't any reason one should pass up the opportunity to be able to learn and grow in a safe environment.

The most frustrating thing about my school would be the fact that I am unable to buy books until some sort of financial aid is granted. If it were not for my mother I would be bookless 2 weeks into my courses. Also the fact it doesn't have my major which is Interior Design so I am just getting my prerequisites then I will transfer.

nicole

Make sure to make use of your time, having fun is important in college, but you should be able to balance the two. Also, if involved in sports, it is important that you focus on school work and work closely with an advisor that will help you choose classes that will work towards your degree, not just easy classes that ensure your eligibility to play.

The class size is small, and the teachers are able to give special attention

Someone that doesn't have much time, only a few classes are offered at certain times

Bridgette

The smaller classroom size and extremely personal attention are two of the most important things that I looked at when choosing a community college. The smaller campus is also what i considered, I didn't want to go to an oversized and crowded school. The smaller campus gives the school a more personal feel. The student involvement in student governmet and other clubs also makes it stand apart from other schools.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have given myself so much advice about what to expect in college. The very first piece of advice I would offer would be to cut back on the amount of hours I worked and instead put those hours into community service and school activities. My time would have been better invested into those things and it would have given me an edge when applying for scholarships. I also would have told myself to talk to my counselor about the financial aid programs available at the University of Arizona so that I would be able to attend after graduation instead of a community college. I would have explained the importance of keeping my head in my books instead of working too much or hanging out with friends. I would have instilled the importance of applying for scholarships and being more persistent in my desire to attend U of A. But most of all I would have told myself that it was time to grow up and become an adult because there is no room for immaturity in college life.

The best thing about my school is the amount of resources available to the students to keep them caught up in class and to provide extra help. The tutoring center is extremely helpful and there is always someone available to give help with any classes a student may be struggling in. SMCC really tries to ensure success among the students.

MIlagros

I'm going to start a new experience in my life. "College" I'm so excieted, because is a new experience and chanllenge. I'm ready to skip any obstacle, although it will not be easy, because I'm still not fully prepared in English, but this not scares me, on the contrary it gives me more strength to move forward and learn with more efforto.

Ryan

My classmates while i've been here have been very friendly and easy to get along with, i've created many new friendships through various classes and playing basketball, the teachers have all been very helpful and willing to do whatever they can to help me suceed in their classes and give me advice on what can help me transfer smoothly and succeed after South Mountain CC., I think that's the case because South is smaller than most community colleges so you can get more one on one attention and help.

I would have told myself that college life is fun, and you have alot more freedom than you have in high school but you have to keep your priorities straight and use your time wisely. More importantly than anything though i would have told myself that I have to be totally self motivated, with a plan and goals to strive for because no one is pushing you to go to class or do your homework or study for your exams like in high school. I would have told myself that once i reach this point i'm in control of how far i want to go, because you have to make the effort to talk to your advisor's and ask questions about what scholarships opportunities are available to you or what classes you have to take in order to work your way towards completing your degree and putting yourself in a postion to suceed in rewarding career that your interested in and passionate about. More so than anything i would have kept telling myself that these next however many years would be the most important in my life in deciding how successfull I'll ultimately be.

I wish I would have known exactly what career path i wanted to follow when i arrived here so I would have gotten all of my general classes out of the way for my major instead of most of them before i transfer to the Cronkite School at ASU next year. Aside from that i guess i wish i would have known all the scholarship programs and opportunites that were available to me to help me proceed with my education in the future.

South Mountain Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.