SUNY at Binghamton Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for SUNY at Binghamton

SUNY Binghamton is a great school to go to if you want to be intellectually challenged and stimulated. Every class I've taken has made me consider the world in a new light and my critical thinking skills have never been better. The professors here expect you to do the best work you can for every assignment, but they're available every step of the way if you need guidance. The people are all super nice here, and the campus is very multicultural and diverse. There is a plethora of student organizations here at Bing, we have everything from Aikido to a Knitting club to Bubble Soccer. SUNY Binghamton was not my first choice school, but I'm so glad I ended up attending.

Katherine

After one semester I can say I am very happy here, and can't imagine going anywhere else. I love where I live on campus and have meet so many great people in my building. Clubs and club sports are a great way to get involved and make new friends. Professors have been pretty good so far.

If I could go back in time, knowing what I know today, I would choose Binghamton University all over again. There is truly a place for every type of person at this school, and the diversity in the student body has enriched my life in so many ways. The curriculum in the sciences is rigorous and worthwhile, and the opportunities for professional and academic advancement are numerous. The campus is beautifully set in a nature preserve, while also in close proximity to a metropolitan area. The city itself is a bit lack-luster, but it has enough to occupy you for four years if you have good friends to spend time with. One of my critiques of this school is that sometimes professors are not interested or enthusiastic about teaching because their main priority is research, as Binghamton University is a research institution. Having said that, my biggest qualm with the school is the administration. The president and those involved in budgeting have their priorities flipped. Instead of putting more money into mental health services or improving the on-campus apartments, they have created a new pharmacy school (even though current SUNY pharmacy schools are struggling to get enough students already) and spent money on superficial, unnecessary projects around campus. Apart from this, the school is amazing, and I feel it has prepared me for my future well. I will forever cherish the friends and memories I have made, as well as the faculty mentors I have become close with.

Liam

If you went to a NY high school and liked the social atmosphere, you'll probably like Binghamton. You'll probably find many from your high school.. The social ones that got good grades but weren't intellectual or too into academics. So if that sounds good, you might like Binghamton. it used to be a smaller school so there were only a couple of students from most high schools. It's opened its doors so it takes way more students overall and many from each high school. So if you liked high school, this is like 4 more years but with way more freedom. It is jam packed with students and wants to increase the number of students even more. It could be hard to get classes cause there are too many students but it still has great recreation and isn't that really what Binghamton University prides itself on. Great volleyball and dorms to gush over. We call it camp Binghamton. It's probably the least intellectual climate you can find in a college. But everyone is hooked into social media. You won't find any intellectual snobs at Binghamton University. You can even tell that from what people discuss in the reviews. It's all about the parties and social stuff and some recreational stuff. But intellectual, not at all.

Ting

A challenging school, but also a really warm and friendly school. When I first came to the campus, everyone was really nice and eager to help me. Students are so friendly that they willing walk you to the place that you’re the thing to go to go to. In Appaliciaan dining hall, the staff are caring and will ask about your day.

Denise

It's ok. The food quality can be largely improved. The Hillside community needs some major renovations. Some CA's are better than actual professors. There are a lot of textbooks that are expensive, lab manuals are always required. The nature preserve is one of the good things about Binghamton. There are a lot of events during the first few weeks on campus.

I love it here at Binghamton University!! The students are driven to succeed and, by surrounding yourself with a good group of friends, you will too. There are SO many opportunities for professional development, leadership experience, jobs and internships, fun and school clubs, and more. I recently went on an all-expenses-paid professional development and networking retreat to the Pocono Mountains! There are hundreds of clubs from Habitat for Humanity to Cheese Club. There are fun events that happen throughout the year in town too. A decision to attend Binghamton University is a decision well made!

Md mehedi

I think hopefully this collage will be good for me and for my carrier. I really wanted to go to this collage even through its far from my house. I also have to look for my new friend and I have to see if they r similar with my culture . I think everything will be fine

Aysha

Its a good University and that is why I am interested in studying there .I like it because it balances between academia and recreation activities .Hope my experience is good and expectations are nearly fulfilled.Other than that I know many good professionals that graduated from here and are happy to be a part of this university.

Sammy

All in all, it's a pretty decent and affordable place to attend college. It's just as good as the bigger schools in our area, but it's a lot more accommodating. Most of the professors here are quite good at their jobs, but there are a few I personally would avoid due to their teaching methods, but that is again personally, and they're probably right bang on for someone else. The food is fantastic for the value, and there are quite a lot of healthier options to choose from. The programs available are actually shocking in quantity, and overall the availability is phenomenal. I would happily suggest Suny Broome to anyone thinking of attending higher education.

Mike

Basically, Binghamton is all about academics. The academics are good, and that's the only thing that is good about this school. I'm personally just not seeing the $25,000 per year in this piece of shit school. Nobody gives a shit about the sports teams, they all suck and get like 7 fans at each game. There is little to no school spirit here. In fact, I would rather walk around with a shirt that says "I love sucking cock" than wear a Binghamton University shirt. Also, Greek life here is whack. There are like 50 frats here so if you can't get into a frat then there is something wrong with you. The frats never throw parties, so if you want to go out, then I suggest purchasing a fake ID and going to the bars that are downtown. Also, the city of Binghamton is complete trash. It's essentially the heroin capital of the world. Ghetto drug addicts everywhere, not a very safe area and I would not recommend exploring Binghamton without a bullet proof vest on. Also, what the fuck is the deal with all the Long Islanders? Everyone I meet here is a stuck up rich jew from Long Island. To all the people rating Binghamton at 4 or 5 stars: If you think this school is good, then I would hate to see what your definition of a bad school is. This place is awful and I can't get out of here fast enough. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Shreya

Through the National Student Exchange (NSE), I chose to be a visiting student at Binghamton University for the spring semester of my freshman year of college. I chose to go to the Binghamton campus because of the vast number of advanced social sciences classes I would be able to take and the low SUNY tuition I would have to pay to study there. I was also considered transferring full time in the fall to another university and wanted to experience a campus completely different than my own (SUNY Stony Brook). My interactions with the university were more similar to those of a transfer student as opposed to a matriculated freshman, although I had a greater priority when it came to selecting my classes than most permanent transfer students. I was able to take 3 300+ level classes , one even being a graduate level class, all relevant to my desired major of criminal justice. Each of my classes had less than 40 students in them and were taught by excellent professors who, in addition to having PhDs in their subject areas, had a zeal for teaching and research. The workload was heavy in comparison to my fall semester at SUNY Stony Brook, but I loved my classes enough to put in a couple extra hours at the library each day. Despite enjoying my Bing experience while I was in class, the times that I wasn't were rather drab. I was placed in the Hillside apartments, which are significantly detached from the rest of main campus and are often reserved for seniors. As a transfer student who knew no one on campus, living in an apartment caused my social life to be practically non-existent. My nights and weekends were largely spent in my dorm, ordering takeout and studying for next week's exam. The times that I did wander outside my room, I mainly spent time with friends I had made in my classes at on-campus events like the annual Holi celebration or a comedy show. I remember others enjoying going out to parties hosted by the campus's many fraternities and sororities as well. Although the campus isn't booming with social events, I quickly learned that Binghamton University is extremely politically active. It seemed like every week that there was a new protest about everything from getting rid of blue lights and extra police to wanting greater transparency about the school budget. I saw the passion that each student spoke with about improving the university that they call their home away from home. I joined in a couple of student protests about a lack of protection for people of color on campus and created my own political art piece called TellMe! to raise awareness about the issue of mass incarceration in out nation's prisons and jails and placed it in the middle of campus for all to see. I felt the most sense of belonging and community from my fellow students during these acts of protest. Overall, I genuinely enjoyed the time I got to spend at Binghamton University and believe that being there gave me many opportunities that I couldn't have received any other way. I would rate the university campus a 3/5, only deducting points because of the lack of services available to transfer students and the sub-par social scene.

Brittney

While there is room for improvement in increasing the diversity, there isn't much else to complain about. For a university, we have such a small community which plays a role in the friends and experiences we make. The classes are decently sized and there are so many resources to help you succeed. It really feels like the professors want you to be your best self.

Erika

In the 6 months I have spent here at Binghamton University, I have come to love the environment and the people that are in it. The campus is very beautiful especially during warm seasons, as the school does an excellent job making sure that the campus looks great and up to par. The people I have come to meet at Binghamton, all are highly intelligent scholars, which makes up majority of the student population. The school is known to be a primarily white institution, but from what I have seen, the school is diverse. I have seen people from various cultures and ethnic backgrounds. The clubs and organizations at Binghamton all provide something for each and every individual on campus. There are always events taking place, newsletters and emails go out to every student so they are always notified of an upcoming event. The food on campus is good, there are multiple dining locations to choose from. Every residential building has their own dining hall, but students are free to go to any dining hall of their choosing. There are also other dining options provided at the Marketplace here at Binghamton. The classes are challenging, but there are a lot of resources available to help students, from office hours with professors to tutoring services. Overall, SUNY at Binghamton is a great university as it pushes you to strive and achieve greatness.

Nashauna

The food in the dining hall tasted good than usual . The school is huge & have multiple schools . There are over 300 clubs & activities to join so students always have something to do on the weekends . The dorms are average sized which is a good thing because it has enough space for everyone that will be staying there . Also , the school doesn't have a variety of people from different races .

Allison

I regret coming to this school but I know a lot of people who are happy here. The classes are challenging and there's a lot of opportunities to get involved, but you have to seek them out, which can be challenging if you don't know anyone. A lot of people are from Long Island, which means if you're not, you kinda stick out.

Richard

I think at the price-point of a SUNY school you can't do much better. Binghamton had everything I needed to excel both in my education and to begin a successful career right after. For the students who weren't as successful, they all still had a good time and the tuition bill was not that large relative to other schools. I definitely recommend Binghamton to anyone unsure about what they want to do in or after college or to anyone that is looking for a cost-effective undergraduate education.

Nirvana

It is one of the best SUNY's. Students know how to have fun but they also know how to be responsible and get the work done. We know that there is a time and place for everything. The demographics aren't extremely varied with the majority of the school being white, but there is a place for everyone here.

Julie

I am proud to have received college education at this school. It is by far the best value institution I have ever attended. Love the professors! Binghamton University has produced many generations of well educated, curious, and ambitious graduates. Go Bearcats!

Derek

Excellent school if you are looking to gain strong academic foundations, however, if you are hoping to create a network of professors and professionals with whom to work with post graduation this is not the school to attend. The academics are a major emphasis for Binghamton, specifically there Business School and nursing program. Overall the professors are excellent, attentive, and approachable.

Carolina

When first applying to colleges, SUNY Binghamton was my last choice out of 16. However, once I visited the school I immediately fell in love and sent in my acceptance once I got home. Since freshman year, Binghamton has been my home. I do not think any other school could provide such great academics, down to earth people, and a group of people to fit each person's interests. Binghamton accepts all people for who they are and encourage people to be their best and fullest self. Each individual is able to find a group of people who share the same interests. I can say with full confidence that once I leave Binghamton, I will be leaving with a job or entry into graduate and leave with my lifetime friends.

Anni-Maxine

the school is generally more focused on their reputation. They claim it is affordable but that is not the case for everyone. Some professors are there to teach as a secondary, with their research coming first. You have to find your niche to really be happy.

Nate

When college application season rolled around my senior year, I knew I'd be attending a state school due to how much cheaper it was. Given this, I was slightly worried that I may not receive an education on par with someone who could afford a four year private institution. However, since I came to Binghamton, I have been receiving an excellent education at a vigorous pace. Binghamton has amazing facilities, faculty and overall environment, and I am very proud to say that I attend this university.

Torate

This is just my opinion. The fact that apparently only 8% of those accepted choose to attend means others share this view. Do your homework. Don't just read their PR. Binghamton University is a mediocre mid sized public university in an isolated economically depressed region in a lousy university system that's been squeezed financially since inception. Admin's goals= 20K students by 2020 without improving any resources. This site shows a much lower number but their goal is 20,000 students by Fall 2020 and no increase in instructors. How's that gonna work? Place is busting at the seams. Student can't get basic resources/advising/seats in library/anything. A fine example of a promise kept-that no SUNY will ever compete with private schools. It doesn't come close in any way. Don't be fooled by slogans or their relentless PR. Do your homework. If you want to avoid being victimized, avoid down town Binghamton. Look at the crime rate in Binghamton itself. That's where crime against students would be reported. Ignore BU crime data cause it doesn't include off campus crime. Binghamton City is chronically depressed, overrun with gangs. Search Binghamton & "gangs". The school tries to project an image of "public Ivy". It's not close. Look like students have strong stats? That's cause a large % are accepted for spring so their data can be excluded from the Common Data Set stats. Binghamton 's PR actively deceives. They really do postpone admissions for the student they want to accept but who have lousy stats. That means the student body is not as the stats make it appear. The place would improve if only they'd put some resources in creating a decent university. They could not care less about their undergraduate students. Do you think the schools' PR is accurate? Once you search and read "The Kaye Report" & "Binghamton University" consider if you think that they were only lying about sports? Do you think it has stopped. Think again! The administration is even more corrupt than stated in that report. Once the university was caught in a web of corruption they were forced to investigate the corruption but they were also given a lot of latitude. Did they investigate honestly? Did they approach the investigation with the hope of coming clean? Doesn't appear so. In fact the university violated laws by carefully selecting a law firm to investigate that had lawyers they thought would be favorable towards the school (friends with the corrupt president). The university skirted the law to sign that firm despite the fact that they had to violate other laws to do so. Then the University was fined for the violations. They must have known that would happen but they must have had so much they wanted to remain hidden that it was worth the fine to ensure that the investigators were their friends. That really says it all. And if you think corruption on the part of the administration is irrelevent to college students you are mistaken. It is only irrelevent if the college student does not encounter any problems. But if the student has to rely on the administration to be honest, the Kaye Report becomes relevant. Send your kid there at your own risk! I wouldn't! Yes it's a best buy. Walmart is a best buy. Nordstroms isn't. McDonalds is a best buy. The Four Horsemen isn't a best buy. Which do you want?