Tennessee State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Tennessee State University

Aje

"I love my HBCU." I have previously attended a PWI, and I must say the biggest difference is the atmosphere. The curriculum is just as challenging and there has been no loss of the availability of educational and career opportunities. I have only gained more appreciation for my culture and gained a family within my department since transferring to TSU. It has certainly been the BEST choice for me.

Michiko

It would be much better if the administration would become more organize and try to cater more to the students rather than themselves and their pockets. Everyone at TSU holds TSU near and dear to their hearts, students and staff however the higher up in power you go, the less they seem to care about what's best for the institution.

Deprea

Its a good university but need you stay focused and keep track of all of you information, There are fantastic teachers here that help you but also don't treat you like a baby so you are able to develop and grow. The experience here help you learn how to properly be an adult and stay on top of your information. though there are some low points where you would expect the school to stay on top and have things in order there are a good handful of time in which you need to step in and handle things yourself.

Janay

I feel as if Tennessee State University is a good school but, I feel as if there are things we can work on and also there are a lot of out of state students who need a lot of help but, its extremely hard to get that help. I feel as if you know a student is struggling they should offer help.

Ja'Kwante

Tennessee State University is not such a bad school. The good things about this school is the education and making of good relationships. The bad thing about this school are communication and the condition the school is in, especially the dormitories and apartments. They could use improvement in keeping up the school.

Herbert

Tennessee State University is a great opportunity for young men and young women to experience diversity and a great learning environment. Their professors attempt their hardest to think work and serve their students as well as their community. Tennessee State is one of the best schools to embrace the African-American culture and tradition while getting a quality education.

Sharon

I think this is a great university, and its very personal helpful in many ways. I think there advisors should be more involved in the students goals, meaning they should be more involved in student selective classes.

Destini

Overall a great college, just needs to add more options

Hashim

School is what you make of it. That being said, Tennessee State University offers an extravagant amount of opportunities that students can achieve through hard work and patience. Other than academics, the school is also the place to celebrate sports, music, and student life. It's the life of the party once studying is all well and done.

LaShundra

It is a fun safe environment to learn and partake in any school activity, there is always something to do at TSU. Even if you want a quiet fun night, someone will have movie night, or a party in the game room, nothing to big or loud. TSU is a place where people learn, have fun, make friends, get the experience of a average college student.

Kendra

TSU is a great university but the financial aid office can be quite a hassle. But I truly fell in love with the school and it is a great HBCU!

Kamia

I love the Big Blue! Tennessee State University is an amazing school. Even though that the school is an HBCU we are very still diverse, which I like. Some classes are really full of students so sometimes where it could be hard for students to get one on one time with the professor. Being on campus is full of excitement and there are a lot of different activities going on. The food is great. I have great professor. I joined my first Organization here and I was very proud of myself. I am not done with school yet, but I am I know I will miss it.

Steven

Great University! Over the summer I visited multiple HBCU’s, one happened to be TSU and I fell in love! The campus was so open offering a nice scene of trees. The tour was great to we had a tour of the whole campus besides the dorms that’s something I wish we would’ve seen. After my visit to Tennessee State University it’s one of my top choices and may be going there in Spring of 2019. Tennessee State University is kind of a good university. They allow you to choose what you want to do. There are some things that need to be fixed according to some areas of the campus, but overall it's an okay zone.

Mykael

Tennessee state is a amazing school and I really enjoy being there. We have many valuable resources on and off campus like tutors and our professors which who are free and available whenever we need that extra one on one time with them. The campus is very safe and secure as well.

Leanne

My overall opinion is it’s a okay school it’s lots of stuff to do here but it does have downfalls to it like the financial aid could be way better but overall it’s a good school I really enjoyed the time I been here so far haven’t gotten to many complaints.

Dhani

Tennessee State is an amazing school. I love the culture that we have to offer on our campus being an HBCU. There are plenty of instances when other students that you may not know, will come up to you and greet you. We are a very inclusive campus and we try to make sure everyone is enjoying their time at the university. This is truly a family school. The faculty and staff always make themselves available to each student. They want to make sure each student is thriving and they will voice their concerns once a student is struggling in the class.

Keely

I love the Dental Hygiene program, but the campus is not very friendly. We've had a couple shootings already and there's always a student in my non program classes that smells like weed. The smell of anything like that makes it extremely hard for me to breath. The professors I've had were amazing, but the students are not very friendly either.

Alexis

I love my hbcu! The staff and falculty care about the students and there always there if we need anything. The students are always focus. We're not really into drugs or other illegal things. The work is easy. Professors are always there when you need them. Tsu is definetly a good school to go to.

femarkeus

It's great love it here. I'm so glad I chose this school. People are outgoing and if you need assistance they will help you. This is a great university to come grow and learn. When you leave here you will be a better person. I've only been here a month and I can feel the growth. TSU is awesome it is the best school around, it is the best institution of higher learning around.

Chyna

Overall, I enjoy Tennessee State University. The environment of the university is what I love the most. There are always fun things going on that can help students get more involved. The events are also a nice way to get to know other people that may have the same major as you.

Brianna

This is my first year at TSU. I actually like the school. It's not in the best of area; however, it's pretty safe on campus. There is always someone outside if you are walking to the library. I frequently take the Uber or Lyft if I need to go someplace outside of campus as I would not walk in the area alone.

jamila

My overall opinion of Tennessee State University is it is a good school with just as many student activities as other schools. Also, this school makes me feel like more of an adult. While some of the offices have them problems the advisors and admissions have your back. The only thing I would change about the school is efficiency.

Austin

They seem to take a lot of money and give back very little to upgrading the facilities. They seem to take a lot of money and give back very little to upgrading the facilities. They seem to take a lot of money and give back very little to upgrading the facilities. They seem to take a lot of money and give back very little to upgrading the facilities.

Mister

Tennessee State is a Great HBCU college allows all kinds of student to enter a surrounding of people that will help and encourage knowledge and fun. The facilities are well kept even through out a lot of renovations going on throughout the school. Extracurricular activities are at an all time high as well. LOVE THE BAND

Kalif

Tennessee State University has its pros and cons. Some cons are the campus housing and campus food. The on- campus housing is nothing special at all. I stay in the Honors Dorm and there's not really a big difference from the regular dormitories on campus. Other than the fact that we have a suite style bathroom instead of a community style. Then there's the food in the cafeteria. Now sometimes I enjoy eating here but most of the time I don't I just eat in the cafeteria to save money. Now once You get past those things and a few others then it becomes a great place. For example, the class size isn't really that different from high school so I am able to create a bond with my professor which is a big plus because at big universities the professor might not even know your name.

Carshawa

I love The Tennessee State University. It is a HBCU and is one of the most culturally diverse institutions in the state. The Southern hospitality is pouring out onto the streets . The campus is located near other HBCU's which allows for the continuation of student diversity and interaction.

Makyha

I enjoy the closeness and family oriented feel of TSU. The fact that it’s an HBCU and the best institution I’ve ever seen is a plus. The staff has an open door policy and they are all very helpful and go above and beyond. It’s a home away from home.

Shamiraqal

Its a great school, nice band, alot of organizations. Friendly people, but a couple things need to be tweaked. like the housing , some of the buildings are good and presentable but not all. The cafe food is okay . I think we need more of a variety and not the same foods every week. Kick it up a knotch

Daysha

Tennessee state university is a illustrious HBCU, where anyone can get involved and have a wonderful experience. It is all about connections and family. if you connect you are more then likely to fit right into the family at Tennessee state university.

Tatiana

Come to the land of golden sunshine!!! GO BIG BLUE!!! I'm an incoming first time freshman and I've been looking at TSU for over a year now. This was the only school i applied to and I got in! I moved to Nahville a few weeks ago and move into my dorm room today. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted i can't wait for the college life

Kiera

At first when I was younger I heard a lot of things about Tsu. My mother and my father attended Tsu which led me to want to pursue Tsu. I first got introduced to Tsu by its academic boot camp accelerated program and from then on it made my first year way more easisier to deal with.

Tiona

This is one of the best schools in the state and I enjoy it so much. There is always something to do there and everyone is so friendly, the food there, living there.... everything is great. The academics here is very good and everyone here is very smart.

Skyler

The food is terrible, and the housing is the worst. Basically, if you do not play a sport they do not care that much about you.

Francisco

It a school I personally feel integrated and welcomed in. The teachers I have do care and are more than willing to help you out, but only if you seek it. We have various programs that help with various subjects and even trying to network for job/internship opportunities. We have had Fortune 500 companies coming to our school seeking for potential employees/interns.

hawa

I think is a good school so far but I have been in Nashville for way too long I need to experience the world outside of Nashville.

Dawnterria

I love Tennessee State University. There is nothing you can't do there. Everyone is so energetic and always happy to help. Full of opportunities and you will always have fun, there is always something going on.Most of the teachers are really invested in their students, they all try to remember your name, regardless with how many other classes and or students they have.

Brandi

Tennessee State University has a beautiful family-like culture. The campus is filled with extremely friendly individuals as well as host many open events, which give students the opportunity to bond with the rest of the university, such as game nights or Friday festivals. Tennessee States academics staff is beyond helpful from aiding in stressed students just talking and clearing their heads to helping truly gather the materials for their course. Tennessee State University has truly blessed me and I am beyond proud to call myself a Tiger!

Shatara

Tennessee State University is a good school in certain aspects. TSU is a HBCU, so there is a lot of history and culture that comes with attending the school. With the time that I have spent at TSU I have gained a lot of knowledgeable and fantastic professors and peers!

Mikala

Tennessee State University is a great institution . Tennessee State offers many programs and majors to accommodate people's interests. You'll get to experience a lot of things on campus such as the campus life, makes you want to get involved. Tennessee State University is very diverse, classes as well.

Sinderia

Its very good

Rebeca

Tennessee State Universty is in the heart of Nashville. Going here you'll not only experience an amazing atmosphere inside of school but also outside. On weekends you're able to enjoy downtown activities. Within the school teachers are very supportive and they guide you and help, but you must be determined to ask for help! Food is decent better than other HBCU, but there is space for improvement. Overall TSU is an amazing school to consider to attend!

Re'Onna

Tennessee State University is home away from home! As an in coming freshman, I do not have those fears of not fitting in. I love it. The first time I visited the campus it felt like home. When I attended the Summer Completion Academy, I had the opportunity to say on campus. The doors were clean and the staff was nice and helpful. This is the place where you want to be. I promise you!

A'Shanti

I absolutely love TSU. In just a short amount of time it has become my home away from home and I can't wait to return in Fall of 2020 for my sophomore year. Like all HBCU's it has its flaws. Some teachers don’t reply fast enough, some classes you have to go in depth and teach yourself the material and some days the food is not all that good but if I could pick another school I wouldn't at all. Coming in I didn’t know what to expect because I was a black girl who grew up in the suburbs and went to a predominantly white school and I was afraid I wouldn’t mix well with others, but that was the beauty of it. All my friends come from different backgrounds, have different personalities, and reasons for coming to this school and when one of us has a problem or we’re struggling in a class we have a band of people willing to help you succeed. Tennessee State University also has a plethora of classes and workshops that can help you pass classes. They have something called P.A.S.S Tutoring and it stands for Passionate About Student Success and with that we have a list of students and Professors who will help tutor you in a subject of your choice. You just have to make an appointment and show up ready to learn. We also have the writing center and in there they help you write essays, fill out scholarships and even find scholarships. Tennessee State University is a great school and I wouldn’t change going here for the world.

Mikayla

My overall opinion for my school is that it is an awesome HBCU. The criminal justice program is great and it’s the largest one in the nation.

Suevina

The campus looks very nice, as a visitor, I would love to attend to, love the entertainment toward the school and spirit. The band sounds very well put, I would love to join them when I graduate from high school. I believe that the campus looks safe.

Raymajia

Tennessee State University is a great school if you live in the area. It is hard for out of state students to get accustomed to Nashville. The school is located in a crime filled area, and it's not safe for students to travel alone. To accommodate this the school has release a variety of safety measures to insure safety on campus. The dorms are not in the best condition, and often takes a while for things to get fixed. For most clubs and organizations you have to be at least a sophomore to join, which can make someones freshman year very boring. If you are pretty good student some of the classes can seem easy and not really a challenge. Also there are not a lot of places on campus to study in a quiet area.

Idrees

It is a great school with lots to do and great people. the teachers are very helpful. The overall culture and environment is astounding. The nearby city is vibrant and it plenty to do in downtown Nashville. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Kara

Tsu is the place to be yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUU GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shakerria

I LOVE MY BIG BLUE. It is a place that I can call home and is also a place that keeps me feeling more at home even if I’m not at home . It gives me a chance to learn about my self and help me understand where I’m headed in life . Tennessee State University is a place where anyone can call home . Let’s Go Big Blue

Antonia

Tennessee State University is a great school but it seems like the only thing that the president cares about is sports and fining people for every little things. She does not care about nothing but sports and money. That is a huge problem. People complain all the time about everything! They complain about things like not getting their refund check because the office lost it or can not find it, bugs in their dorm rooms, mushrooms growing on the walls, etc. It is sad but true. She gives out things so that we can accept that what she has done is wrong but we forgive her because she gives prizes out. I love the classes but the dorms, office of admissions, bursar's office are just rude and never doing their job right. The president, Dr. Glenda Glover, is a con artist in my opinion and does not know the true meaning of true blue. She only recognize people that kiss her tale and make up false information just for her to look good. That is not the meaning of true blue.