Olympia, WA
The Evergreen State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The Evergreen State College

Annie

Evergreen is an amazing learning community that embraces everyone and allows you to persue your interests

I would tell myself that I will be able to find what I want to do with my life if I follow my passion. Picking things that I am passionate about to study will lead me to my future career choice, at least the first one. Finding people I am passionate about will help me figure out who I am as a person, and having a lot of friends isn't the same thing as having good ones. Overall, I would tell myself that I can overcome the smaller stuff to become what I am meant to be, and that the right college for me is the one that lets and helps me to do that.

Sometimes it can be difficult to find programs that fit exactly what you want to study

Amber

The Evergreen State College is a place for independent young thinkers to thrive and blossom into charismatic grown thinkers as they find their way- and find themselves- along this beautiful journey we call life.

If I could go back in time to converse with my senior high school student self I'd encourage myself to save more money in preparation for the future- rather than spending it on eating out with friends and on gifts- to apply for more scholarships, to make certain all of my financial aid papers were turned in at the appropriate time, and to be prepared to search for a job as soon as I get to college because it will take awhile to find a steady job and it is a good idea to save up on money in case of an emergency and in order to purchase food during times that the Greenery may be closed or to buy an outfit for interviews. I would also encourage myself to read more often in order to build up the speed of my reading and to decide on a hobby to focus on so that I can work on developing other skills that are less academic and more enjoyable, and perhaps even find a club associated with this hobby. I would also suggest that I work on building a better vocabulary and practice writing every day.

There is a combination of two things that make The Evergreen State College the best and these are the opportunity to be treated like a person and to actually learn more in a smaller amount of time. We are not treated as members of the socially recognized category, or those who are enrolled in a social institution. Instead we're, in a deeper sense, we're in a category of human being. Not only do we get the chance to learn many subjects in our programs, we get to experience new things through clubs, internships, and volunteer positions.

Sean

I would tell myself, "Dont be afraid to make mistakes. To experience as much you possibly can. Be smart, study hard, make friend, party hard. Go to class and become who you are going to be. Learn from everyone, for there is always more to learn. Make use of this wonderful time to learn about who you are and what you want to do with the rest of your life. If you do realize early, what you want to do, reach for the stars and don't turn back becasue in the end, its all about finding that one thing in life that makes you happy. Hopefully it will pay well, but if not, then the choice is yours. But most of all, be carefull of the college cafeteria food, it can sometimes lead you visiting the toilet, and thats an experience you might want to avoid."

Ruth

My classmates are friendly and helpful

My classmates are friendly and helpful

The most important thing I have learned since I graduated from high school is that, with enough practice, I can learn almost anything I want. If I could go back in time and talk to myself ad a high school senior I would tell my high school self that "it is ok to be bad at things initially. When you try a new activity it is not uncommon to feel a little bit awkward but with enough time and practice you will become comfortable with, and better at, any activity you do." Had I known this as a high school senior I would have been more eager to try new things and I would have perservered at practicing things that I wanted to learn.

I wish I had known what I wanted to study so I could have prepared ahead of time to take harder classes the first year.

Mark

Evergreen is a great school for self-motivated individuals who are interested in the inter-relationships between social, economic and environmental subjects and issues. Evergreen is one of the pioneers in inter-disciplinary studies and has a long tradition in empowering students with a well-balanced understanding of the world. As such, the Evergreen experience provides a solid foundation for engaging the world in a meaningful, compassionate and ethical manner.

In terms of the career pursued: find your passion and follow it with all your heart and mind. Balance your heart and your conscience -- you cannot build happiness or personal success on a sense of moral obligation or acting out of a sense of dispair from the state of the world. In terms of study practices: cultivate a balanced academic and social life -- either extreme defeats the purpose of learning and being alive; find good people in your class with whom to study -- if you enjoy the process, you will learn and retain more; take time to rejuvinate; don't do drugs -- they're a waste of your mind, time and money. In terms of financing: minimize taking out student loans; maximize work study and, especially, paid internships in areas of interest (both to help cover costs and to gain hands-on experience). Explore all grant and scholarship opportunities. Seek out and surround yourself with good people. Treat yourself and others with respect. Dream big and believe in yourself! In your career, seek out good people; if people are mean and do not appreciate you from the start, there is little chance they will change in the future. Have fun!

- Evergreen is not the best place for people who prefer a high degree of structure or feel uncomfortale with flexibility in selecting courses; i.e., there are often a number of paths one can take in obtaining a degree in a given area of interest. - Evergreen is not the best place for people with a narrow view of the world who wish to retain that narrow view of the world. - Mean people also shouldn't to attend Evergreen... unless they plan on changing and becoming nice in the first few days -- then it's OK.

Going to Evergreen is like living with a bunch of hippies and hipsters in the middle of the woods for 3/4 of the year, with all the partying, diversity, activism and open-mindedness that entails.

If I could give my high school senior self any advice, it would be that getting settled requires equal parts work and play. Freshman year is the start of a whole new chapter of life- not just academic life, but social as well. There's always going to be more work coming down the line, so make some friends, make some memories you've really been intending to make. Living on-campus is a unique experience that you only get for a limited time, so see what there is to see (safely) rather than putting it off until all your work is done.

The way it's set up, students can really either not apply themselves and still get the minimum requirements for credit done, or work really hard in order to fulfill the 40 hours a week WA state requirement. Some teachers give so much work that the students have no choice to do at least 40 hours a week, though, and it can be stressful and difficult to do anything outside of class. It really depends on the professor and course, though.

Andrea

I would let myself know that I am capable of succeeding beyond what I had even imagined college to be.

Little to no diversity in the students.

How much of my learning can be easily applied to everyday life. My personal growth.

Liza

If I had a time machine and good go back to 1989 and give myself advice about college like and making the transition into such a realm I would say, go to a community college, get your core college level classes done first. I would say it's not a race to see who can done first. I would tell myself make sure that you also are working or doing an internships where your passion can be fulfilled, such as if you enjoy working outside, intern at a state park or if you enjoy working with kids get a day-camp position. I would tell myself how important it is to take time for myself, at least 15 minutes a day of doing nothing but sitting with myself. I would tell myself this is the easy part of life, not to worry if I don't make friends right away the right ones will come along. Most importantly I would say to myself - take at least one class a quarter, semester or year that just about you or what you want to learn more about - it's your education.

The kind of person that should not attend The Evergreen State College is one who is not self motivated or interested in college.

The most fustrating thing about The Evergreen State College is the lack of control the school, students, staff and faculty have over the pending Washington State budget cuts.

Research what you're interested in and find what you want to know about the world and pursue that as a career. Doing well and working hard truly will pay off.

The classes offered - the material students at Evergreen are able to learn.

More about what the classroom and campus dynamics entailed

Caitlin

Take it slow. Remember that you are a confidant, intelligent, wonderfully brave girl that has come so far from her home for an education. Don't get sucked into the day-to-day crazy of college life, focus on what you want and how to get it, and enjoy the place that you are in. College is stressful for everyone and everyone needs a break, so make sure to put aside some time to walk the beautiful campus of Evergreen. Above all remember to breath.

The Evergreen State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.