Edinburg, TX
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

DAISY

Live your life and be happy where you are right now! Pursue the degree in engineering you know you always wanted and never give up on your dreams!!!

The worst thing about my school would be the size of the campus is small. The reason being that it would be fun to have more places in the university to relax.

Resourceful, inspiring, creative students who can achieve their goals to their full potential with hard work and determination.

Nadia

My school is best known for its competitive science and technology programs. It hosts a big school event called HESTEC where the students compete with each other for most innovative projects. We have had myth busters visit and various famous artists. UTPA also offers a PA program, which is highly competitive in Texas. Most recetly, it has merged with UTB to form a new medical school in the Rio Grande Valley.

When I was a high school senior I was in a serious relationship of 2 years and was planning to go to college with my then boyfriend. Eventually things didn't work out, I became depressed for a couple of years, and I got kicked out of UT Austin, one of the leading research universities in the nation. Eventually I overcame that and redeemed myself as a student. If I could go back to talk to myself, I would talk some sense into me and say the following: Relationships should never come before your education or career. You will eventually publish a couple of articles, which is great. But those couple of articles could be double the amount if you just focus on what's important. Don't fall for the easy mistakes you can learn by watching other people make them. Don't lose your value. Don't doubt yourself. Work extremely hard for what you want. Don't think, just do! Feelings can be taken care of later, but this has to be taken care of now!

As a student there, the most frustrating thing for me was a limited amount of good looking fellas to choose from. Looks aren't everything, but they are some part of it. And although I believe people should be admitted on their work merits and thinking abilities, it would have been nice to have more eye candy.

Caitlin

I would advise myself to be brave, take more challenging courses, and don't go in thinking the freshman course load will be easy. This is perhaps one of the most common college freshmen make, thinking that their freshman year is going to be a joke. I would be adamant about taking each course seriously, study extensively and make sure to be prepared for each class. I would also remind myself of the very wise saying that "Those who are afraid to ask questions are afraid of learning." It's important to ask your questions, and if you have questions or concerns, make an appointment during the professor's office hours. I would also suggest to take advantage of all the resources available on campus. Writing labs, learning resource centers, tutoring services, libraries, even gyms can be essential to keeping your workload in check. These resources are there to be used, just like the professors are there to instruct and to help students - use them!

Luis Romeo

If I had the opportunity to go back in time I would notify my self to start getting active with organizations in high school and also to become more social and make friends because in the university there are so many people that any student is bound to make at least one friend. Throughout high school, I was always a comformist , but I would tell myself to strive for the best and never give up with my dreams. I really regret not applying for scholarships when I was in high school, I would go back and advice myself to apply for as many scholarships possible and start to look into ways that I could get involved with research on campus. I believe that when I was in high school I had the mentality that all clases would be as simple i college like in high school, but i would most definetly tell myself to improve my studying skills because classes in college progressively start to get harder . This is all I would tell myself as high schooler , having know this I would have transitioned in a more better way from high school life to university life.

Actually northing because before I attended the Univeristy of Texas Pan American for my undergaduate studies I had previously attended the univeristy for a summer semester to take courses I know it might not be the most prestigious and the largest univeristy, but it devotes its effort to help students acheive greatness and success in their future endeavors. I believe that this university makes students feel comfortable with no judgement it makes students feel at home and happy that they ever came to study in this wonderful institution.

In all actuality there is not much that is frustarting about this univeristy because all the stuents, faculty, and staff make you feel comfortable with no judgement. This univeristy strives to make students want to get invoved whether it be with the Student Government or the Greek Life, but there is bound to be something for every type of student whether they tend to keep to themselves or are actually over social and just love to make friends.

Annabella

I would advise my younger self to attend Career Center earlier in high school; when you are undecided about what you want to do for a living you need to look at as many career possibilities as possible. I would try a greater variety of classes that way the ones I absolutely detested or was terrible at would give me some direction as to what careers are suitable for me. I would also advise myself to get a job somewhere, anywhere, just to get out of the home and learn to meet and deal with a variety of people that I ordinarily would never meet. I would also order myself to start driver's training earlier, maybe that would help cut down on the stress of it all and I could actually learn to drive instead of bombing miserably at it.

Luis

What I like the most about this school is the number fo people that speaks spanish. I like it becauase my first language is Spanish and when I hear people talk spanish I feel like in home. Eventhough they should be speaking to be in English in order for me to practice I still like to hear Spanish.

My advice would be , instead of choosing easy classes , you should choose the hardest one, because college is not easy. Why do I say the hardest classes? I say this not because college is hard is because that will prepare you a little better for college. I would also tell myself to do community service. Eventhough no one talked to me about this in highschool once I entered college I heard a lot the words community service. I never heard this because I came from mexico and graduated in 3 years from highschool, but surely community college helps a lot to buil your resume. Another thing is to take all AP classes and some available college classes, beucase this are the most close related to actual college classes and will also prepare you to do good in college.

For me, is everyone who wants to study. People who really want to have a future and do their best at every class. For a person like this going to college everyday shouldn't be another studing day it should be another learning day.

Damaris

What I find most unique about my school is that although the majority are hispanic, there are still so many different backgrounds and different ethnic activities and social clubs, which means that I have heard plenty of different stories, ideas, hopes, and dreams. Another thing that is unique is that in doing research I found that Pan-Am is one of the top schools not only in education but in affordability, which is the main reason that I decided to apply here, I feel that I am learning the same things as a student that is attending an expensive school.

I was fortunate to have attended Early College High School, as I was able to graduate with my Associate Degree before recieving my High School Diploma. Nonetheless, one thing that I would definitely tell myself is to take more of the classes that I found difficult first and to have taken more, since they were free as college is simply too expensive. I would also make sure that to have found, researched, and settled on a major.

I would have to say that the most frustrating thing about my school (as in most universities) is parking. There are simply so many people.

Blake

Take a breath, calm down and turn off the email notifications on your phone. Focus on your grades, making memories with your friends and enjoy the time you still have with your family. You will be moving a long way from home and you need to make the best of what you have. Go ahead and do the things you love, because you won't have much time in college. When you get there, be open to others! Remember names, faces and professors because it will help you in the long run. Go to university functions and put yourself out there and make a difference. Attend every class even though it's not mandatory, because you will defiinitely get better grades and improve your chances in the future. Don't be scared of being rejected or judged because it happens to everyone. Meditate, get in touch with your inner being, and love like crazy. You only get to experience college once.

It's small, one minded, not very many organizations to join, unorganized and sometimes unwelcoming

Jecenia

In the years that I've been attending this university all my classmates have been very nice and helpful some have even become close friends.

Getting an upper level education is very important for my family especially because I would be the first of the family to go to college. The preparation always starts in high school, start by trying to get into upper level courses like AP courses that are offered in the school. With these type of courses offered; you can easily take a test and get college credit hours and start as a sophomore, but before that make sure you are capable of completing the tasks. Get informed about programs or offices that can help you apply for universities, scholarships, and financial aid. There are many teachers that will be willing to help you out with the application process. Get involved with extra-curricullar activities to build up a resume for your university application. Yes, you will get scared about starting classes in a new campus, but once you are done with your first day you'll realize that people are friendly and willing to help if you have any questions. So, yes it may be frightening in the beginning but afterwards you'll love being in the environment because you are there to accomplish your priority goal; a higher lever education!

In the criminal justice field there are professors from around the country and that is great in my opinion because we as students can get different views about the same or similar situations. The different variety that exists. In the criminal justice department the professors go from very liberal to conservative to even feminist. Overall I believe that this university provides students with different ways of learning because the professors are from different cultures and ethnicities. This way students can analyze the different opinions of each professor and put them together to make one whole idea of learning.

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.