Edinburg, TX
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

Iliana

The stereotype is that people are not friendly and self-centered. This of course is not accurate.

They are certainly friendly and they are willing to help you in whatever they can.

Lucero

What is unique about my school than other schools is the demographics. The majortiy of the school are hispanics. The athletics departmet really is the only one that brings in the diversity to the campus. I really wish there was more diversity, but the school is located in the Rio Grande Valley, so I cannot expect much.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would tell myself how I am going to be completely fine. This was the first year that I moved away from my parents, and it really frightened me that I would not be coming home to my family everyday anymore. I would also tell myself that track is going to be awesome. I had walked on the the University of Texas - Pan American Track and Field team my freshman year, I was nervous and excited at the same time. I would reasure myself that I was strong and capable enough to make this transition from high school to college. Lastly, I would tell myself that I did amazing my first semester of college ending it with a 3.8 GPA. I would surprise myself, but deep down I know that I was always capable. This are the things that I would tell my high school self if I could go back.

What I wished to have known before coming to the University of Texas - Pan American is how well educated the fauclty are. I came into this school believing that I was about to get the worst education of my life, but I was wrong. I have, easily, learned the most here than the previous schools that I have attened. I wish I had come my freshman year knowing that I was going to have a great education.

SONIA

Sonia, although you completed and made A’s on the dual enrollment courses you took here in La Joya High School. Those two years of work you put into completing college coursework—well, none of them will be credit it as college credit. I tried to process and believe this to be truth. I was shocked, speechless. I was told that there was nothing to be done. If I could go back in time and be able to talk to my high school self I would tell me to never put anything else but my education in my priorities. I would tell myself to go to school everyday, to try not to be shy and get involved and tell someone if I am having a problem that I can not handle on my own. In high school, I had many absences that ultimately led to me know getting credit for my dual enrollment, and moved my top 10% gpa to top 25%. I believed then that staying home with my mother would somehow stop my father from abusing my mother. I wished I could have thought of a better way to help my mother instead of jeopardizing my education.

Make sure you have a meal plan Always make sure that you carry at least seven dollars in your pocked unless you have a meal plan. With the much walking going on and students going up and down the stairs it’s smart to maintain your energy. Also, I wished I purchased more comfortable shoes, shopped for books early so that I could have a better chance of scoring a used book deal with the campus bookstore. or money for meals because that can add up.

I recommend this school to anyone who is eager and willing to learn. There are many useful resources and professors are always available to assist you. They really do above and beyond to have students succeed. Everyone here is friendly, easygoing and invite you to join in socially.

hugo

I love the University of Texas-Pan American. It is a school small enough in which the student and teacher have a bit more interaction because the classrooms are much smaller than in most Universities. I would not change schools for any other. I also live away from home but it is also an hour away, so I do get a bit more of freedom.

Well the UTPA commercial says "there's always something to do." which is true because there is always something do with homework or something related to class.

I believe it is the political science club.

Most students are really cool people. I am a music major so I hardly ever hangout with people that are not music major.

I think they are good. I just made the deans list this past semester.

Deborah

Make sure to remind yourself that your grades counts! Make sure to start out studying more than you need rather than less than you need, so you don't have any regrets. Make connections, be outgoing and don't be shy! without risking a bit and taking chances you won't experience true success!

The wheather and the environment is very good for activities and experiences

How the public safety and police work and how they tend to treat students

Edmundo

The school spirit and mascot. People wear UTPA shirts and make the hand sign alot.

Focus on the road you want and stick to it. Don't make excuses and keep your word. Don't make the same mistakes. Don't be clever and no one is perfect.

That it's pretty small. I thought it was bigger.

DAISY

Live your life and be happy where you are right now! Pursue the degree in engineering you know you always wanted and never give up on your dreams!!!

The worst thing about my school would be the size of the campus is small. The reason being that it would be fun to have more places in the university to relax.

Resourceful, inspiring, creative students who can achieve their goals to their full potential with hard work and determination.

Nadia

My school is best known for its competitive science and technology programs. It hosts a big school event called HESTEC where the students compete with each other for most innovative projects. We have had myth busters visit and various famous artists. UTPA also offers a PA program, which is highly competitive in Texas. Most recetly, it has merged with UTB to form a new medical school in the Rio Grande Valley.

When I was a high school senior I was in a serious relationship of 2 years and was planning to go to college with my then boyfriend. Eventually things didn't work out, I became depressed for a couple of years, and I got kicked out of UT Austin, one of the leading research universities in the nation. Eventually I overcame that and redeemed myself as a student. If I could go back to talk to myself, I would talk some sense into me and say the following: Relationships should never come before your education or career. You will eventually publish a couple of articles, which is great. But those couple of articles could be double the amount if you just focus on what's important. Don't fall for the easy mistakes you can learn by watching other people make them. Don't lose your value. Don't doubt yourself. Work extremely hard for what you want. Don't think, just do! Feelings can be taken care of later, but this has to be taken care of now!

As a student there, the most frustrating thing for me was a limited amount of good looking fellas to choose from. Looks aren't everything, but they are some part of it. And although I believe people should be admitted on their work merits and thinking abilities, it would have been nice to have more eye candy.

Caitlin

I would advise myself to be brave, take more challenging courses, and don't go in thinking the freshman course load will be easy. This is perhaps one of the most common college freshmen make, thinking that their freshman year is going to be a joke. I would be adamant about taking each course seriously, study extensively and make sure to be prepared for each class. I would also remind myself of the very wise saying that "Those who are afraid to ask questions are afraid of learning." It's important to ask your questions, and if you have questions or concerns, make an appointment during the professor's office hours. I would also suggest to take advantage of all the resources available on campus. Writing labs, learning resource centers, tutoring services, libraries, even gyms can be essential to keeping your workload in check. These resources are there to be used, just like the professors are there to instruct and to help students - use them!

Luis Romeo

If I had the opportunity to go back in time I would notify my self to start getting active with organizations in high school and also to become more social and make friends because in the university there are so many people that any student is bound to make at least one friend. Throughout high school, I was always a comformist , but I would tell myself to strive for the best and never give up with my dreams. I really regret not applying for scholarships when I was in high school, I would go back and advice myself to apply for as many scholarships possible and start to look into ways that I could get involved with research on campus. I believe that when I was in high school I had the mentality that all clases would be as simple i college like in high school, but i would most definetly tell myself to improve my studying skills because classes in college progressively start to get harder . This is all I would tell myself as high schooler , having know this I would have transitioned in a more better way from high school life to university life.

Actually northing because before I attended the Univeristy of Texas Pan American for my undergaduate studies I had previously attended the univeristy for a summer semester to take courses I know it might not be the most prestigious and the largest univeristy, but it devotes its effort to help students acheive greatness and success in their future endeavors. I believe that this university makes students feel comfortable with no judgement it makes students feel at home and happy that they ever came to study in this wonderful institution.

In all actuality there is not much that is frustarting about this univeristy because all the stuents, faculty, and staff make you feel comfortable with no judgement. This univeristy strives to make students want to get invoved whether it be with the Student Government or the Greek Life, but there is bound to be something for every type of student whether they tend to keep to themselves or are actually over social and just love to make friends.

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.