The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

Amber

This is my first year at the university of Texas Rio Grande Valley, we’ll actually my first semester. I transferred from South Texas College(Mcallen,Texas). So far the university of Texas Rio Grande Valley has offered me a great university experience; from spacious classrooms, clean in and out, enough parking, great security, and amazing professors who will go out of their way to make sure their students learn.

Adriana

UTRGV (previously UTPA) is well known here in the Rio Grande Valley and probably the go-to college for RGV too. A very nice college with quite some green around campus, big not only campus wise but also student body wise with a little under 30,000 students (28,584). You get a great education here and there's quite the variety of organizations to join. A small comment would be to expand the majors currently offered cause although it does offer a lot, I believe it can do so much more! Whether it is medicine or art, expanding would always be a plus.

Adriana

UTPA is a small school to attend however its modest size is what gives it the intimate and friendly setting it's known for. Professors are extremely approachable due to the small class sizes and their consistent office hours. Probably the best perk, in my opinion, is the food! Sitting so close to the border, you can find the most authentic and delicious (and fattening too - but which great foods aren't) Mex-Tex restaurants around the campus.

Sara

It is now the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, and I love it as before!

Jonathan

UTRGV is like a second home for me where they can offer me the opportunity to teach me and get me prepared for my future dream of becoming an anime director and to start my own production company. Sure, the classes will get difficult as the semester up and go, but as long as you have a dream worth fighting for and that you believe in it, then it will become a reality with belief, patience and hard work.

Sana

It's an average school and a good pit-stop on your journey to higher education. It may not be the highest rated school but there are reputable people working there, allowing you to work your way up and make good connections. It's a satisfactory school.

Abigail

Its a great school, very affordable, amazing students, everyone is so nice and helpful. I was skeptical at first because it wasn't my first choice, but man am I so glad that I came here. The pizza lady at the dining hall is the mvp she's so great, and the mi taco ponchos in the cafeteria is a life saver.

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley is a home away from home for a lot of us because of the mass diversity. It's economic and students save a lot more money while getting the same amount of knowledge as any other renown university. The professors are understanding and you always find a helping hand on campus.

Jazmin

Great academics but poor communication between students and department heads. Advising does not know what to do about some classes. There might not be many people and classes are typically small. Professors help students and make sure they are prepared for a job in their field.

Karen

It’s an okay school. I just don’t like the fact that they raised 3% of our tuition. It will discourage a lot of students in the future, mostly the students who get loans.

This school is based in a culturally diverse city. It has lots of great events students can participate in. It hosts educational events such as career fairs and voting fairs. The only negative aspect of this college is the lack of help from financial aid. Additionally, the school has such little parking it becomes a conflict trying to get to class. The environment is lively and social. The college is split into two campuses which gives its students the opportunity to choose classes in either city.

Yulsi

My university might not be the number one ranked but it has provided me with the opportunity to earn my degree near home. UTRGV is expanding and increasing in student applicants each year so I hope that it can provide a great experience to every future student as it has continued to provide to me. The Rio Grande Valley has been my home since I was born and I love living here close to all my loved ones. Thanks to UTRGV I am in the process of working towards my nursing degree which will be a challenging process but I am glad that I am able to be with my family while I am earning my education. I cannot have imagined earning my BSN degree anywhere else other than at UTRGV.

Arissa

UTRGV is a great school for in-state and out of state students. It is a terrific place to unleash your creative side and immerse your self in intellectual courses. You will never fail to find an extracurricular activity that fits you. This school is growing quickly and is a fine place to gain a great college education.

Eleasar

Best campus I could've picked!! Everyone is so helpful that you can literally ask a random person for help. I felt so comfortable being on campus so quick I do not even hesitate to ask for any help about anything. People here are very welcoming, you will not have any trouble fitting in.

Alyssa

Overall the campus is satisfactory. As a student, I and other students have a few complaints, but the campus is always growing to help students feel more comfortable. It is adaptable. Therefore, the University is fairly good but there is always room for improvement.

Anne

When I was younger, I loved that birds would migrate down here to south Texas during fall and winter; I admired how they would hang on telephone lines all day, without cares. This is one of the many reasons why I love the Rio Grande Valley, and being able to attend the University of Texas-Pan American (now the University of Texas of the Rio Grande Valley) has offered me a new, refreshed perspective of my beloved hometown. As a freshman, I was obligated to undergo the usual first day of class nerves -- but they subsided in no time. As soon as I stepped on campus, I was greeted by the welcoming trees that trace the east entrance and suddenly knew that this is where I belong. UTRGV perfectly mimics what the Rio Grande Valley stands for; rich culture, friendly people, and innovative minds encompass the campus. Like a miniature version of the valley, UTRGV encompasses the amicable and unique personality of my beloved hometown. As my first semester as a freshman concludes, I have a better understanding of why my university has gotten the reputation it has; to appreciate the makeshift-ness that UTRGV stands on, you have to have been raised to appreciate the valley first. Though UTRGV does not have the most advanced resources, or the most elegant landscaping, or the most efficient parking system, it offers home. Offering a concept that no other university, or no amount of funding could ever offer: being able to appreciate the singing birds who hang on the telephone lines during cold seasons.

Ashtyn

This campus is outstanding! The students and faculty are very sweet and very excited for other students to learn more and join fun groups. This campus is also part of some great history. This campus has a small river and on both sides has buildings that are part of the university, but on one side a very long time ago used to be part of Mexico. The university takes pride in our history and encourages others to learn more about it.

Olivia

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley can be a great school to some depending on the need of the student. I am a pretty "quiet" individual that doesn't care for the typical college life style so I don't mind that there aren't many fraternities, sororities, parties, etc. I believe that there is excellent research opportunities with wonderful, friendly professors. In addition, the food in the dining hall could definitely be better but it is alright and buffet so everyone leaves with a full stomach. I really do think there is a wonderful environment at UTRGV.

Sergio

Great campus, people are friendly, professors make it a priority to help you on areas you might be struggling on. The academics scene is also very feisty in terms of the intensity to which groups of students speak to each other about break through new research and such.

celeste

The school itself is very well rounded. The people you meet on campus are great and I enjoy the professors. There are so many things to do while on campus, for example, going to the rec, playing sports with friends on your free time , going to the library, or just lounging around. Unfortunately, I only received $1,700 in loans and no financial aid so I, myself, am not able to get the joy of being a full time student, but even as a part time I really enjoy the campus and hope to enjoy it even more in the future.

Rebecca

It is alright. It wouldn't be my first option, just because its home to me and everyone wants to leave and see the world. It honestly isn't that bad, I just find it very boring. There are a lot of organizations but I have joined any because the students seem rude.

Dulce

There is always something going on, on campus. There are many clubs and organizations to join. The overall experience is great when you get involved. The professors for the most part are accessible and will always be willing to help you. It's a great university!

Thalia

It is a great school and the community is awesome. The teachers are always willing to help and the students are great to work with. The on campus dining hall could use some work but other than that its great.

UTPA/UTRGV is a great college where you can get a great education while paying less for tuition in comparison to other universities. Aside from the great education a student receives, there is much fun, happiness, and intrigue to be had with fellow students and teachers, as well as at the cool campus facilities.

Ebony

This is my freshman year of college, and I have a couple of months before I start my summer classes. During my first semester, I was always kept up to date with events and other opportunities within my campus. I joined a mentoring program, so once a month I meet with my mentor so that she may answer any of my questions I have or inform me of new updates to the requirements for my program. To me, my mentor has been very helpful and has guided me throughout my first year at the university. During my free time I go to the library where I am assisted when needed by fellow students and administration to get the most out of the resources that are provided there. I also like to take advantage of the recreation center, I go play basketball, volleyball, or just go for a run. Throughout my second semester I have been kept up to date on more events via email, and find them very helpful so that I am aware of opportunities that my school has to offer. Besides the resources they provide, I also turn to all my instructors whenever I need assistance with anything. Most of my professors are available via email throughout the entire day along with their set office hours. I usually take the time to talk to my instructors during their office hours to clear up any questions I may have especially after taking a major exam or anything dealing with my overall grade in the course. All my professors have been very encouraging and reliable for my first year here and I would definitely recommend them to other students.

Eric

Parking is a nightmare, but the most important part is that the professors are great-never met one who wasn't a real dedicated educator. The foods okay, and there is always something to join so you can meet some really awesome people who can really help you out.

Suzette

Overall great learning environment, so many activities and different events to get involved in during your free time.

Karina

I am a legacy of The University of Texas-Pan American, which in 2015 joined The University of Texas Brownsville to form The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. Since then, everything has gone up. The school's rating, the tuition, and the school's spirit. As in everything, changes are always hard. No one liked the new mascot, creating it a community problem. Students hated to take the bus for a hour to arrive to the opposite campus. Now, two years later, students and staff have being able to create a harmonious environment between both campuses.

Jesus

This is a under rated university, which recently underwent a name change. It is now known as The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. This school is really affordable, and it offers a variety of classes and majors. The academic part is really good, you'll be getting a great education for a great price.

Christopher

Really good school, really safe and focus on what they do. I strongly recomend this school because it has a lot of opportunities for everybody. For example, i am really interested to study Biomed and they have a lot of courses who would help on whatever i want to be.

Chun-Chi

UTRGV is a great school! It is not extremely diverse, but overall the population is nice and friendly. Academic-wise, professors are good! Wish the athletics games were more supported by the student-body, rather than locals. As an International student, there isn't enough support. Staff members are bad at communicating and they don't offer any good scholarships, which is very sad.

Delaylah

Safe and friendly campus whenever you’re trying to meet new people. Very helpful and approachable when you have difficulties of whatever type. The library and the learning center can be a good place to study, practicing your notes and asking for help if you have any questions involving any specific course.

Jorge

overall it was a good experience my time there. Sometimes it would get packed especially in the morning but I manage to get to my area in the library and work or study, participate in sport activities, soccer for example. The professors were professionals at their job even outside their classes. Definitely a go to school if your looking for a good degree or medical school program.

Mikayla

I believe that UTRGV has many possibilities. They have programs that can help students get to where they would love to be. There are many ways to find help with anything you need, from studying to financial help. The school is very involved in sports and the community.

Subho

I am an ex-student (from India) of UT Brownsville, before it got merged with UT Pan American. My review is only about UT Brownsville, not UT RGV but since UT Brownsville no longer exists, I am writing it under UT Pan American. What you may read next may shock you. UT Brownsville was a HSI - a Hispanic Serving institution and was racist to the core. In that college I was hazed, assaulted and finally deliberately racially discriminated by the college adjudicator, David Mariscal - who was Hispanic and did the act of racial favoritism to protect a fellow Hispanic. I now suffer from PTSD. There are at least two news paper articles about me - please search "a harassed Indian student's tale of Woe" and "I went to USA for a PhD but came back with a PTSD". Also the full details are given in my book "spoilt past future tense" Not only are the college officials racist, they have violated all manner of American Law. Also there is at least one student, on his way to earn a phd, who is an assailant, pervert and outright dangerous. I have also been a featured speaker in the NAGPS conference in Stony Brook and Mizzou - you can find my speech on youtube. Why does this have to be in Unigo - because without this feedback, there will be other unsuspecting students who will go to the Brownsville campus of UT RGV and come back scarred for life. IF you have questions then please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley is a high standing University due to its commitment to the students as well as to the community. They are always available when you need it which makes it easier for the people who are struggling or have questions about something.

Yolanda

My overall opinion of University of Texas- Pan American (or University of Texas Rio Grande Valley) is that it has a very kind community. We have a group on Facebook where freshman can ask questions about FAFSA, where to access certain things, and where a building is. Whenever someone finds a lost item or see another college student hit somebody's car, they right away post on the group looking for the owner. There's always events, and if you need help on campus you can ask anyone in your line of sight; I helped 2 people on my first day find their classes. Overall, UTRGV is an awesome school to experience college for the first time.

Janel

Great community, great people, love the atmosphere. Everyone gets along with each other it’s the best! Staff is hands on with students wanted to learn and get the help they need as well as the professors. Students aid students and it turns out really good in the long run. Couldn’t ask for a better school

Sheila

It is a great place for students to continue their education. Everything is accessible for students. The extra curricular activities are open to anyone. The students and staff are always welcoming to everyone. The professors are very knowledgeable in their area of subject. Encouraging and motivating others seems to be one of the rules they live by. Students are proud to attend this university!

Deborah

I enjoy the community the students develop, there is always a place to go and study groups to improve your grades. If you go talk to a teacher, they have a solution for any problem you might be having. The campus is under construction right now so traffic is a little slow, but I’m excited to see the new engineering building that will probably open it’s doors next spring.

Felicia

I believe the university is a good school overall. Fall 2019 will be my third semester and as of now, so far so good. It's not the best school but it's a school with great professors willing to help their students succeed. They offer a variety of courses.

Noah

pretty good school, but what your college experience is like is how you would determine it based on how you want it to be. but most of the professors are friendly and are always available via office hours or email, and the facilities are sub par couldn't be worse

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley is a great college and it is close to home. I love attending and I look forward to graduating and moving on to bigger and better things. I never regret staying here and attending the university. It feels like home and I know I wouldn't feel that anywhere else.

Deborah

Great school with plenty of opportunities.

Jaziel

The school is diverse and there's people from many walks of life. The professors follow their schedules and there are always clubs outside waiting for new recruits. All facilities seem rather new and it keeps improving my student life. Everyone is friendly and anyone can make a study group full of random people that soon become friends.

brenda

AWESOME. Second home. i love that it's very close to home. Staff is very helping when you need help. I love the University recreation center! They actually just added a pool for extra relaxation when needed. One thing is that they need more signs for buildings or directions.

clarissa

The University of Texas-Pan American helped me discover my highest purpose and calling. Class sizes are small and professors offer their attention and assistance. Study rooms and the library are my comfort zones at UTRGV because I am able to conduct research, use the school's facilities, and increase my academic performance. Though its externals are amazing, I am grateful to attend a University that influenced the course of my life due to its intelligent professors and fields of study. Throughout my second year of college, I abided to a major degree plan in Biology and a minor in Philosophy. While biology helps me understand the physical world, philosophy is present to help me understand the metaphysical world. Both of these subjects are my passions; however, philosophy enables me to see diverse perspectives of metaphysics regarding humanity, faith, reason, intuition, religion, and divine substances. As I study ancient and modern philosophy, I am able to recognize what philosophers believed back then and gain a sense of understanding of their revelations. During Fall semester of 2016, I took a Modern Philosophy course with Dr. Thomas Pearson, that introduced famous critical philosophers and their reaction to the Scientific Revolution in Europe. Specifically, the 30 Years War on religion in Europe perpetuated strong oppositions to new scientific inquiries. The dispute between science and religion interests me because it is difficult to follow one whole heartedly with a justified reason. The more I learned about modern philosophers, the more I wanted to dive into their literature and discover their multi dimensional beliefs and thoughts. Questions arise inevitably, and one must attempt to provide the most rational and logical answer with regards to past beliefs and current individual judgments. This is where my curiosity lies. I believe in the spooky, the unnatural, and the bizarre.

Elvin

UTRGV is a newer, merged school, combined from UTPA and UTB. This school has offered great programs for both undergraduate and graduate students. There are plenty of events for anybody to engage and be active. On-campus housing is okay, but I believe it can definitely be improved. Student union is a great section for students to engage more with other students and find great, optional food choices. I find it to have one of the most affordable tuition in the RGV with every amenities needed. Faculty are nice, environment is generally safe. I recommend.

Judith

Overall I believe that The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley is a really good university. Their staff is very helpful, and professors are mainly very accessible. The comply with their office hours and seem to really care as to whether students understand and graduate. I do recommend this university to anyone who lives in the Rio Grande Valley region, as it is an excellent opportunity to continue with higher education, and it very close to home.

Rogelio

I have grown up around the university my whole life and have learned to see it a second home. With most family members attending UTRGV i am happy to continue the streak and will graduate in 4 years. I love how its close to home and how well the medical program has a great graduation rate it makes me think i am fortunate to be raised near it and to graduate from it will be a true dream come true.