University at Buffalo Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University at Buffalo

Amen

It's a very big campus to live on. There are many opportunities for people on campus. Their academic departments provide enough information for students to learn at any time of the day which is pretty awesome. The athletics in this school are amazing, knowing that it's a division one school we're supposed to be good.

Julie

UB is a BIG school. Be prepared to have really large classes (sometimes near 300 students) and have few or no professors that know you by name (especially in undergrad). That being said, there are a lot of great things about UB. The diversity is amazing and there are a ton of clubs that celebrate unique cultures with a big cultural show each year. There are a lot of sports teams, the men's basketball team seems to be the biggest draw for students and the games are a lot of fun. There are also many recreational sports teams you can join. On-campus housing (not dorms) are really nice but way over-priced. Off-campus housing is usually affordable but tends to be located near south campus and prone to robberies. South campus isn't an area you want to be alone at night, and if you venture too far into the "city" area past south campus, there are safety in numbers. North campus is in a much more residential area but it's always wisest to walk with someone in the evenings. The libraries are huge and have quiet rooms but because of the large student population, you have to stake them out to get one. It's definitely a necessity if you're seriously studying because so many people are in and out of the libraries that it isn't always quiet and dorms are rarely quiet enough to study (no matter what time of night it is). It's a big school, where people like to party, and something is always going on. There's pros and cons to that for sure. But all in all, I loved my time there, mainly because of the variety of people I got to interact with.

Tiffany

The University at Buffalo offers a variety of opportunities to explore and partake in events. Whether it is club activities, off-campus trips, games or even a dining hall event; no one is ever alone. The amount of spirit in each student is phenomenal. The faculty is welcoming which makes it easier to reach for help. Most importantly, the endless amount of resources results in no questions left unanswered. I am proud to support the Buffalo Bulls.

When I was first looking at schools to apply to in October 2019, University at Buffalo was not on my list of numerous universities. Some of my friends were applying, so I decided to as well. My close friend and I then took a six hour trip to tour the school and learn more about campus life, as well as their programs. When we arrived, my first thought was, "this school is absolutely huge." The next day we proceeded to take a tour and explore the campus, from the basketball court, to classrooms, to the Student Union, and my personal favorite, the library. When we walked through the library, you could see the connection and collaboration going on in groups of students. May 2019, I decided to pursue my education at the University at Buffalo (and I'm glad I did). My first year at the University at Buffalo truly opened my eyes in many senses from my education to friendships. I was learning new ways to study that I've never thought of before, and I went to the math center to be guided through my study guide. I made friendships with people that I instantly clicked with, and will last a life time. My eyes were also opened to all new cultures that I had no ideas about living in my hometown. Not only that, but there were hour less nights spent in the library studying, writing essays, and doing projects, yet I wasn't alone. At the University at Buffalo, I felt at home, like I belonged there.

Unless you’re an engineering or a computer science major or an athlete who would like to save on tuition and truly enjoys winter, DO NOT attend this university. Everyone else seems to have little value to UB. Everyone else is left to figure out the complexity of of today’s college experience on their own. UB claims to have an abundance of resources and advertises them as if students can access medical care with the snap of a finger or find a place to belong immediately. Although this university has resources, most of them are only available for a short period of time. Many students transfer out during their freshman year because it is incredibly difficult to build bonds with others if you’re not a heavy partier, drinker, or smoker. For those of us who spend our weeknights studying and weekends pursuing other hobbies, I would attend another university. There are so many terrible incidents that UB is currently keeping under wraps. My mental health declined immensely, and the resources that they offered barely helped. I would never wish this on anyone. Pick up your grades. Save up your money. Attend a school that actually cares about their students. Fortunately, I was able to get out despite the terrible mental health I fell into. I am currently a student at Columbia University, and I could not be any happier. Think wisely before making that four year commitment. I hope this helps.

hi

Highly academic. They have continuous assessments but filled with occasional activities as well.

Joyce

University at Buffalo has more than enough residence halls and five campus apartment communities with a lot of other accommodations. What makes a university life is both the on-campus and off-campus living and it is easier to get to class, study and meet new people. Our residential dining centers, food courts, food trucks and snack shops that serve very delicious food which meets everyone's test.

Genesis

It is what you make of it. No hand-holding you just become another body in the classroom. Professors do not care to know your name or provide great classes. It is heavily weighted on self-study. Students are not the best, just hope to get the average so the curve helps.

Kelly

The University at Buffalo is one of the best colleges locally in Western New York in my opinion. At UB you have the chance to meet other students around the world with different values and beliefs. Diversity is important today because of the different perspectives and growing productivity associated with it. At such a large campus there are a variety of clubs, sports, and other activities to get involved in and meet new people. In addition, UB has many services that they offer to encourage personal development during our years at college. Also, there are plenty of restaurants and shops on campus with a variety of options to never get tired of eating the same thing. Overall, UB is making the college experience possible, with offering their many services to us.

My overall opinion is very good. As a freshman currently, my first semester had great, knowledgeable and enthusiastic professors. Everyone, even campus workers are super kind and friendly. Everyone is very polite and helpful and we have a very diverse campus. If you dorm, everything is very convenient, safe and easy to get around for such a large campus. Unfortunately, as a graphic design major I do not see my self growing there and am considering transferring or staying and pursuing a business management degree.

Freda

University of Buffalo is a very diverse school with a populated amount of student body. Although I have not yet been reviewed or accepted by the University, hopefully the teachers will give me some space for consideration. It is my dream college for a good reason, since it's specialized in majors that I want to study. I'm really looking forward to my future admission in UBuff!

briyanna

The University at Buffalo is a great school for people who may think about enrolling here. There are may opportunities that can be gained from being apart of the buffalo community. The people at this school are very helpful and like to engage in as many activities and service projects as they can. The University at Buffalo also lives for sports. All of the staff and students love to watch all of the division 1 sports in action.

Paige

This school has very good value considering its price, but definitely is not for everyone. Coming from a small, close-knit town, I was excited to attend a large University where I would have the opportunity to meet tons of new people. Instead, I do not feel at home or like I belong here because everyone keeps to themselves and you have to put in a great amount of effort to connect with people. It's not hard to make friends and find people similar to you, but there is no community feeling. There is little to no school pride; you will see people wearing apparel but that's about it. Sports games are not big exciting events that everyone goes to, which is unexpected for such a big school. The University only cares about the football and basketball teams, and although they are very good, it's hard to feel prideful and involved at games. There are cheers and a large student section, but games are long and boring and even if you go with friends it feels like you are in a crowd of strangers, cheering for strangers. There are endless clubs and activities to join, which definitely makes it easier to make connections, but most of them are student-run with almost no assistance from the school. There are many events going around campus but not many people go to them. It's not too hard to find something to do on weekends, because frats or sororities usually have parties or you can go out to clubs. However, parties are just groups of people who stand around with red solo cups in their hand talking to their friends. Parties can be fun and people dance but most of the time no one really knows/talks to each other and nothing too memorable really happens at them. After hearing from other friends at other colleges, they all can't say enough positive things about why they love their school. I haven't met anyone at UB who feels that way- no one here LOVES being here. It just seems like everyone is here simply to graduate with a degree and without debt. UB is definitely a smart choice to get the most for the least price, but so far it is not the college experience I was hoping for.

Irem

I make the best of it. It’s alright, but I’m a very artistic person, and the arts have close to no funding here, although I think that the arts always get the lower end of the funding in most schools. I wish that there were more opportunities for theatre/film studies/photography students in terms of equipment and mentorship from professors.

Daebreona

I enjoy the school a lot, the the people are welcoming. There are a good amount of people involved in Greek life but it's not something you have to do. The organizations are very welcoming and the school takes diversity seriously. I've seen many protests on campus, one I participated in was so they can add more funds to a program I was in. The only negative I would have about the school is the community bathrooms in the freshman housing could be cleaner.

Mariana

The University at Buffalo is a great public college to attend. There is so much diversity and there are a lot of ways you can get involved around the campus. The residence halls are okay for a public school and there are a lot of good food options. This school has great staff and a lot of resources to help you succeed.

Christopher

It is a great college with so many opportunities to take advantage of. You just need eager and motivated to take advantage of those opportunities. Also their EOP program is amazing and give students that come from low income family and students without the best grades an actual chance to go to a great school.

Essence

Overall I think UB is a great school. I participated in the EOP program which helped me maintain a GPA above a 3.0 and provided the resources I needed to be successful in my courses as well as in my extra curriculars. The academic environment was always motivating and the social life was magical.

Renee

Overall, the University at Buffalo is a great school. The campus and environment is overall very safe and clean. People are very welcoming and mind their own business. There are so many clubs for just about every occasion and activity so you are bound to find something you like. Greek life is also pretty prevalent for those interested. The culture is very diverse and students have a very patriotic spirit about the school. Regarding academics, classrooms are clean and fully equipped. Professors try to teach to their best ability and meet with students who ask for additional help. Our school is well known for their biology and business program. But in general, all curriculums are pretty advanced and prepare students for whichever degree they pursue.

Alysia

Overall, I love University at Buffalo. I cannot really think of anything I do not like there. The large class sizes I love. The different food choices available I love. The underground tunnels are awesome especially for in the winter. All of the buildings seem pretty up-to-date and nice looking. Compared to the other 5 colleges I have seen, UB looked the best and remained my top choice.