University of California-Davis Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of California-Davis

Josiah Mae

UC Davis is an amazing university. Everyone is equally diverse and the whole population of students is super friendly and intelligent. The campus itself is very green friendly. We are known for the bikes of course but the campus itself is also known for recycling. I fell in love when I visited the school campus.

Gary

UC Davis is a great school.

Yesenia

It’s an amazing school and I love it. Everyone is so nice and cool. The environment is beautiful and all students are extremely intelligent. You will find a place that feels like home. You will never be alone. Each Aggie Matters. It’s a huge school and you’ll get lost sometimes but you will always find your way. Go Ags!

Serena

Davis has a very fruitful and enriched campus filled with bustling students and busy faculty. Although academics are of the utmost importance, it's not always easy to find friends to connect with. I transferred to Davis , nervous to find a group to belong to. I did end up meeting some wonderful people, but I wouldn't suggest that Davis is a very social campus. My time at Davis has definitely been positive though. It has opened numerous doors that have led me down the path to success. For example, I started an internship at the Center for Mind and Brain that has given me access to different professors who are able to give me insight on grad school and what I want to do with my neuropsychology career. Like all students, my first year away from home was a rocky start, but I pride myself in studying at UC Davis and being a small cog in a larger machine to help better the world.

Emilee

University of California Davis is a beautiful campus which provides a great educational experience. The learning environment is very conducive, and I very much appreciate that Davis places emphasis on individual successes rather than competitive success among a group of people. There is such a diversity of intellects and interests among the students that to compare apples to oranges would only be destructive. After all, success is a subjective matter anyway. The staff is very warmhearted and the food is pretty good being as Davis is a very agricultural school. I LOVE that I can just walk up and pet the cows whenever my heart so desires. Possibly the most productive part of campus is the ARC. It definitely motivates me to stay active. Davis's small town vibe is very welcoming and I never feel unsafe--alone at night or otherwise. I'm blessed that I was accepted and chose to go to University of California Davis. It has only been a year, but it has been a good one. On campus housing accommodated me and my roommate very well, no complaints. The Health and Wellness Center also was very helpful, especially during my six week episode of pneumonia! The only complaint I might have would be that I sometimes feel uncomfortable discussing politics as Davis is a very liberal school; that being said, it is a minor setback compared to all of the wonderful experiences and growth Davis has brought me thus far. I would definitely recommend Davis to anyone considering the option. You won't be disappointed.

Julia

UC Davis is a great small town community with top-notch academics and plenty of activities to help you find where you belong. Davis may be known for being the "cow town" of UC's but it is so much more than that. There is something for everyone, whether you want to go Greek, love to dance, enjoy politics, or maybe you even do love the cows, Davis is ready to be your college choice.

It is rated #1 in Vet medicine and would be a great school for anyone interested in getting the knowledge to succeed and do great things. Anyone who loves a free-spirited non judgmental environment would have a great experience here. There is plenty of healthy vegetarian and vegan options in the cafeteria. UC Davis has a beautiful campus including a pool!

Thai

The University of California of Davis is the quintessential university for students who fear being rejected or outcasted because everyone in the community is welcomed with open arms! Whether it is through the multitude of clubs that cover almost all ethnic groups, the caring professors who await curious students to ask for help, or in general the charisma of each individual of the student body, UC Davis is able to cultivate a unique community that fosters happiness and equality for all, while providing comfortability for all who come.

Anna

There is an expansive, diverse community of people standing with open arms to welcome you home. Numerous Resource Centers mean someone always has your back, Academic Advisors walk you step-by-step through your college career, and a multitude of extracurricular activities keep you busy outside the classroom.

Christian

Coming to UC Davis was the best decision that I ever made. I love it here! The campus is beautiful! The campus has a natural feeling to it, similar to a park. There plenty of outdoor study spaces to enjoy the California weather. The city of Davis is pretty much a college town, with roughly half of the cities population being students from UC Davis. Downtown Davis is right off campus, really just a one minute walk away. There are a large variety of restaurants in downtown (not big chain restaurants) to choose from when you want to hangout with friends. Downtown also has a public park where they hold a Farmer's Market every Wednesday and Saturday. Downtown also has three movie theaters! UC Davis is about a 20-30 minute drive away from Sacramento in case you also want to get the big city experience. Now academically speaking, UC Davis is great place to be. The professors are committed to the student's success and the students are very focused. If you need help, do not be afraid to ask a fellow student! You will learn a lot here and get well above your money's worth with an education at UC Davis.

Brenda

UC Davis has great friendly professors and excellent academics without the cutthroat feeling of competing with other students. The campus location is excellent for pre-law students since there are many intern opportunities just 20 minuets away in Sacramento. Unlike the rest of California, you witness all four seasons as the campus beautifully transforms during the fall and has heavy rain during the winter.

Kyerah

I am in love with Davis. I'm from South Central, Los Angeles, so the change in scene was exactly what I was looking for. I love the amount of nature scenery that is there and how the buildings are also modern like and not rundown. They are constantly building and renovating the buildings. The other students are so nice and they genuinely care about you and want you to do well. The same goes with the professors. I have yet to meet a professor that came off as closed off and they always encourage students to come to office hours if they have questions, if even if they simply want someone to talk to. I did not grow up with a dream school in mind, yet UC Davis has become my dream school.

UC Davis is definitely a university for learning. It's not a party school. All of the professors that I've had are genuinely there to help me succeed and earn my degree. On top of that, they want me to learn. Within the chemistry department, all of the faculty is so tight-knit and friendly, they're like a big family. Starting school here, I was welcomed with open arms into the chemistry department through extracurricular activities and gatherings held by the department. All in all, UC Davis is a wonderful university that puts education first and foremost and throws in a bunch of fun on the side.

Jelena

The University of California-Davis is everything I expected it to be and more. There are a lot of things to do around here that are unique to this university and Davis in general. Plus, the students and staff are such a friendly, compassionate, and hardworking group who welcome everyone with open arms. This campus is ripe with opportunity, and there are a wide variety of resources available to help find those once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. This is truly a place where students find themselves.

Siyan

UC Davis should be everyone's dream school. With the small student to faculty ratio in class room it's easier to participate and be involved in the class. The professors are also really interesting and always there if we require any help. I love this school and strongly encourage people to apply to this faculty.

Alexa

What is it that keeps students enrolled in the University of California-Davis? Could it be the various food trucks, squirrels, or perhaps the mascot named Gunrock? Most students would probably not consider these items when forming their opinion on the campus. But every daintily detail makes up what this college stands for. Beginning with academics, there are various resources to guide students towards the graduation podium. Through my experience, the professors make sure to announce their office hours on the easy to access syllabus. The date and time arranged on the syllabus is subject to change depending on the student’s availability. Most professors also open up an extra day of office hours or redirect students to other educational sources. Personally, I have been stunned to find a large number tutors and teaching assistants right on campus. One time, I was confused on a topic covered in my chemistry course. Luckily, the tutors made it their mission to make sure that I understood the topic well. The tutors sat and helped me until the facility closed. As I closed the doors of the Dutton Hall Tutoring Center, I could not help but smile. Not only did the tutors help me boost more confident in my studies, but I also gained a support team on campus. When I was on the verge of giving up, the tutors reminded me that through diligence and practice I can jump over any obstacle. For this, I rate the academic makeup of UC Davis’s campus with 5 stars. Of course, this opinion may vary depending on the staff hired but off my experience, I have never left tutorial centers unsatisfied. Finding a perfect study spot is crucial. There are tons of indoor and outdoor tables perfect for group or solo studying. The library is also a perfect study spot when in the search of a quiet location. As mentioned, study spots are easy to find anywhere on campus, but some lack access to shade This can be dauting to the students because a new distraction is created from the burning sun. Moving on to the social life, UC Davis is home to friendly students ready to engage in a conversation ranging from casual to intellectual. As I roam through campus, I am delighted to hear that students care to bring awareness towards sensitive topics such as immigration policy, climate change, and current issues. A simple conversation may also begin in the coffee house or any other location. Students are open to hear different opinions regardless of the ones they believe in. This makes it very comfortable for students to socialize and learn about their fellow peers. But socialization does not end there. From the classroom to the quad to the food trucks, it is very easy to hear about extracurricular activities such as clubs, sports, and Greek life. The green landscape, socialized squirrels, and hundreds of bikes make UC Davis feel like a home. The student culture and pride are astounding. UC Davis students help each other grow, and for this, I rate the college student body as a 5. Finally, off-campus housing in Davis, CA is okay but not the best. There is a housing shortage and limited access to shops. I know a couple of students who prefer to commute to school from nearby towns to get a better living opportunity. Off-campus housing is not one of the strongest features of UC Davis and for this and other features, the campus rating is 4 stars. Overall, I have found satisfaction in the facilities offered by the department, the student body, and professors. As mentioned, all the small features such as furry squirrels, food trucks, and mascot all make up the premises of the university. Each feature makes UC Davis a unique campus full of opportunity and diversity.

Paola

The people here at UC Davis are so friendly. The staff is really nice as well. They genuinely care about you and want to make sure you are doing fine. I love how they put emphasis on self care so students don't forget that their mental and physical health is important as well. The campus is also really environmental friendly which is always nice. You get that sense of community here as well which makes you feel more comfortable being here.

Jessamine

I personally think that Davis is the best choice for me. Everyone is so friendly and helpful, you can ask almost anyone to help you out with anything and they would be more than willing to do so. We always stand for what we believe in and the campus feels so safe all the time. Theres places to get food nearby and places to just lay and relax. It's an overall friendly community.

Natilie

In the fall months, the campus comes alive. Something about the chilly air and sweater weather makes the students and faculty more amiable and excited to be present. Some lectures are large with upwards to 200 students, but most large lectures have TAs that are super helpful during discussions. Davis is a very college centered town so the suburbs always have "Go Ags" flags flying in the wind. Our social life is alive and well. There's pretty much stuff to do every weekend if you know the right people. The dorms are nice enough and the dining commons ( affectionately known as the DC) serve pretty tasty snacks. The late night cookies are a must. I love my school, and if you tour it you will too.

Jairren Aerol

When I first moved into the dorms, I felt very comfortable and safe. With appropriate housing placement, I felt much like at home. Although many say that the food in the dining commons is bad, I think otherwise. Some people expect too much even though they themselves don't know how to cook WELL. As for classes and facilities, I think everything is well provided and managed. Students just tend to not do their work or study.

Sean

The campus is extremely clean and safe. It resembles a city within a city. A student could live and thrive permanently within the campus, as all amenities are available. The resources available, relative efficiency of services, faculty, opportunities, activities and facilities are all second to none. I consider myself lucky to attend this campus and try to get my friends who aspire to transfer to apply.

Kaley

It is overall a great place for academics and the students and faculty are generally nice and caring people. It is the perfect school if you are studying agricultural sciences since the area provides a lot of hands on experiences for the students. Internship and research opportunities are also abundant.

Erica

I do not feel at home here in Davis. Perhaps its because of the demographic change from my hometown to here, however the few friends I have met I know are friends for life. Overall, Davis has very friendly staff and professors that want you to succeed. It also has many services that would help studets academically however theyre are often unheard of because they are not advertised as much.

Verenice

UC Davis is a beautiful school filled with plenty of students riding around on their bikes. The on-campus housing is really nice, and they have various resources to help incoming students. The off-campus housing can be expensive, but they are near the campus and look really nice. They always have a variety of foods for students that go to the dining centers, and they even have some taco trucks available around the campus. There are Unitrans that students could take for free to go to different places around Davis and even outside of it. Some classes are bigger than others, but that should not be a problem for students. There are several clubs and sports for students to participate in, but they can cost extra. Academics are important to most in school, and there are many places where one could go to study. Overall the school is a wonderful place, and anyone that attends would love it.

UC Davis is the college to choose for a well rounded undergraduate experience. There are several opportunities to be involved in various areas of interest including engineering, law, public health, Greek life, community service, and dance. UC Davis' campus is beautiful, especially in the fall, populated with enormous trees and curious squirrels. The culture on campus is very diverse, open, and welcoming. There is a strong sense of community demonstrated throughout the student population and ongoing events throughout the school year to celebrate traditions, academics, and holidays. Most faculty are available for support to their students and easy to reach by email, canvas, or office hours. Resources for students are readily available such as tutoring, workshops, and student retention centers to help with academic challenges. Counseling services are also accessible to students to support with mental health issues and increase in stress that may arise. The quarter system is difficult to adjust to and it is easy to struggle without a support system or knowledge of campus resources. Overall, this is an ideal school to attend for undergraduates in search of exploring academics and novel experiences in their transition to adulthood.

Davis is a great place to grow! Everyone is so helpful and the campus itself feels homey. There are so many activities to do no matter how involved or not involved you want to be. The campus is situated in a great area. Davis is a "bike" town, so most of it is within a bike ride away. I loved coming to Davis and highly recommend this school for anyone!

Daniella

When I first walked through the tree-filled campus, I was instantly surrounded by the peaceful ambiance of the school. Students smile at one another and laughter can be heard from across the street. Strolling by Davis' quad, students sit on the grass, their nose stuck in books as they study for exams. Others stand by a table, passing out flyers with their clubs. No matter what side of the campus you are on or whether or not you are a student, you are more thank likely going to be welcomed by UC Davis.

Christina

I just finished my first year at UCD and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The campus is beautiful and the people are great. Of course, you can't avoid meeting strange/upsetting people time to time wherever you go, but there are plenty of on-campus counseling resources that can help you out. Most people here are eager to learn but are not competitive; I personally had a pretty stress-free first year, and made lots of good friends. There are also a bunch of animals on campus (cows, ducks, etc.), and I've enjoyed seeing them on my way to class and such. I guess the only downside is that because this is such a big school, when you need something or need to talk to someone, you really have to get out there and look for it since no one's really gonna do that for you, and sometimes you have to wait a while since the staff here have so many other students to deal with. Other than that, I've really enjoyed my first year here and I feel genuinely happy with where I am. I hope that more people get to experience what a wonderful school UCD is.

In retrospect, Davis was a place to grow academically, mentally, and emotionally as a person. The location is beautiful, the people are kind and helpful, and the academics were challenging but rewarding. It's a great place to invest your time and education.

Jenna

UC Davis feels like home. The strong sense of community felt right as you walk on campus makes you feel safe and welcomed. Regardless of your background, differences, or preferences, there is always a class or extracurricular where you feel belonged.

Attending UC Davis is probably the best thing to happen for a student because this university has everything. The environment is friendly, open and safe that one can feel they're at their second home. The education is probably the best compared to the other UC schools because one has so many resources offered that UC Davis makes it known that they care about your education and they want you to succeed in any way possible.

Stacey

I really loved my undergraduate time at UC Davis. The campus is large, but not too big where it's troublesome to go from one part of the campus to the next. There is a lot of greenery and trees, which is quite calming. There is a big emphasis on agriculture and STEM, however I feel like there were great faculty and staff from my major. Food can get boring sometimes because the choices are limited. The most meaningful thing were the campus student organizations, which was over 750, so you had a lot of choices.

Grace

I transferred to UC Davis after my first year of college at UC Santa Cruz in order to study a major that my previous school didn't have - nutrition. Therefore, I have a good comparison between two vastly different schools. While I will say that I would go back to UC Santa Cruz in a heartbeat, there are a lot of things that I love about Davis as well. The campus is very lively. Although I prefer a more quiet, peaceful setting, the school spirit at Davis really is infectious. There are always things to do on campus and even at late hours of the night, you can find students zipping by on their bicycles and walking around with friends. I always feel safe on campus, but off campus is a different matter. In the past year, there were multiple incidents of armed robberies and crime that I believe were not handled with urgency by the police. The town of Davis for the most part is safe, but I would not go out at night alone. I lived in off-campus, transfer housing for my first year. On-campus housing fills up very fast and is difficult to secure, which is how I got stuck living about two miles from campus. I wasn’t a huge fan of my apartment complex, mainly due to the distance from school and the lack of community, but I was able to bike to campus within fifteen minutes, which I appreciated. Housing is also pretty expensive, especially when it is through the school. As a result of having an apartment with a kitchen, I didn’t buy a meal plan in order to save money, which is a financially responsible decision if you have the ability and knowledge of preparing your own meals. I love to cook and have a very particular diet, so it wasn’t a problem- I actually had a lot of fun doing so and always hit up the local Trader Joe’s for all my groceries (the Davis location is a student hot spot). I did go into the dining commons at orientation, however, and while the food looked good, there weren’t many options for people with diet restrictions from what I can remember. I’m vegan and as a huge fan of the salad bar at UCSC, I wasn’t very impressed with the one at UCD. One thing that I absolutely love about UC Davis is the accessibility of the town in relationship to the campus. The town and campus are practically blended together as the minute you step off campus, you are in the heart of Davis. It is a college town down to the core and its residents are very supportive of student life. I’ve gone to several local church services on my own and people from the congregation always come up to talk to me and are excited to hear from a student. Conversely, one of my least favorite things about UC Davis is registering for classes. Even the mere thought of it makes me inwardly groan. I will be a junior in the fall and even at this point in my college career, I still couldn’t get into some of the classes I need. This may not sound like a huge dilemma, but at least with my major (and I can only assume that others have this same problem) there are many classes that are only offered once per year. I think I have about eight or nine classes that are this way, and some of them are prerequisites for other mandatory classes. If I don’t graduate on time, it’s not because I failed classes or didn’t take enough major related classes per quarter, but because of scheduling conflicts that are out of my control. UC Davis is a great college, there is no doubt about that. There is something here for everybody, whether it be sports, academics, Greek life, or the plethora of clubs, and so on. Also, it’s extremely bikeable! What’s not to love about that?

Emma

UC Davis is a good intellectual school with a nice quiet environment. I highly recommend it for graduate school because there are incredible research outputs, especially in the agricultural sciences. However, it's going through some growing pains in terms of undergraduate education, in line with most of the UC's. Don't obsess over prestige when considering undergrad, go to a place you will feel comfortable and where you can get connections, these are way more important than numbers.

Patricia

They say college is the best time of your life. Sure, that is true to a certain degree. However, those same people forget to mention the struggles you’ll be enduring in order to make it through your college career. The following includes, but is not limited to, such dilemmas: mental breakdowns, failed classes, roommate / housemate drama, heartbreak, loss of a loved one, financial trouble, crippling debt, homelessness, the potential for any kind of assault, discrimination, imposter syndrome and homesickness. Yes, that is a lot to take in. Pursuing a higher education is never an easy task. However, once you get passed that nasty little reality check, it sure as hell is worth it. Attending UC Davis was the best decision I made in my academic career. Yes, there were a plethora of struggles but all of that is overshadowed by the amazing experiences I had whilst there. I made long lasting friendships, my view of the world opened up, the knowledge I obtained from classes enhanced the love I had for my future career, certain professors went above and beyond to help their students understand the material, extracurricular activities were abundant, school spirit was always beaming especially around Picnic Day, and there were never a shortage of bicycles. Could you believe there was such a thing as bike traffic? There sure is! Our favorite little cow town is known as the bicycle capitol of the United States! Like many other students, I too will always have a special place in my heart for UC Davis.

Lindsey

Academically competitive and fast paced quarter system. Challenges me to do my best. Easily found roommates with similar interests and academics. Campus is the largest of the University of California campuses (over 5,000 acres) in a rural area with a local town, restaurants, and neighborhoods. Almost all students use a bike on campus. There are fraternities and sororities that are easy to join.

Arshdeep

My overall opinion of the University of California-Davis is that it is a fairly good school. It has a very stressful and competitive environment in certain areas such as the pre-medical one that can make one very frustrated. In that sense the school can appear very draining to you, and when you reach out to help from advisors or mentors they are not the best to turn to. They often don't do much. But overtime once you find your place at the school and get the gist of things around there, then it is not all that bad, but still is very stressful in terms of academics.

Overall my experience at Davis was overwhelmingly positive-as evidenced by my four star rating. The bottom line is that college is what you make of it and Davis gives you opportunities to make that experience a great one. There are an abundance of research opportunities in every field, enthusiastic professors, clubs for any interest you could think of, as well as great internship opportunities. Pretty much anything you want to get involved in, you can. Despite the large class sizes of the lower division courses Davis gives you all the resources you need to be academically successful. From office hours (which are almost always empty FYI) to TA's, tutors, and study groups there is an abundance of academic support available. Yes there are negatives, you will come across bad professors, and sometimes it will be so challenging you will question your intelligence (probably a lot) but this is something that you will find at almost any college. College isn't all parties and sipping iced coffee while binging Netflix it is hard and you will make sacrifices, but the experience and education you get by attending Davis makes it worth it. In fact I enjoyed my time at Davis so much that I am returning for graduate school. I don't think you can get a much better review than that!

Paige

The University of California-Davis is an extremely high ranking school. It's academic standing is incredibly high. The campus vibe is good, people are friendly, easy to make connections if you put yourself out there. There are good professors and awful ones, use ratemyprofessor. The athletics are okay, they're not super big but they're not bad. Its a huge agricultural school, so be aware of that.

kylie

My overall opinion of the University of California Davis is that it is a very academically-driven school. There is not a large social life emphasis and a lot of parties. There are many opportunities and resources for students to take advantage of. UC Davis is very welcoming to all people. Teachers are very accessible as well, as they want the best for their students. The atmosphere at UC Davis is nature-oriented and allows for social gatherings and restorative places that promote physical exercise.

Thomas

This is simply an amazing institution. The faculty are extremely professional and are there to help you. I have not once ran into a condescending person who did not want to help you. If you have any concerns or worries, you will be able to find someone to help you out.

Mack

I love it here. The campus is large, even when you don't count areas for agricultural use. Enter the Social Sciences and Humanities (Death Star) at your own peril, do not expect to come out. There are a lot of spaces to study, such as the Shields Library, the Silo, the Student Community Center, the Memorial Union, Segundo Services Center, Kemper Hall, Ghausi Hall and many others. The people are nice. Sports are well attended, but not a major part of campus culture. We have an active meme page (but tbh what college doesn't).

Areli

UC Davis is very friendly and welcoming. Sometimes the size is overwhelming, but the facilities are great and the food is lovely. Academically it's difficult and while most professors are amazing, some you have to really take initiative and do work on your own. Overall, UC Davis makes it easy to like college and the experience!! It can be difficult to feel comfortable sometimes because of the size if you're used to small size schools but you'll adapt to it.

Joel

Attending the University of California Davis was the best decision I have ever made. Due to this decision, I was able to meet excellent professors, educate myself to levels I thought were not possible and found the kindest, smartest and funniest friends I could ever ask for.

Michelle

Davis is a big campus that is basically the city. It is absolutely beautiful, especially during the fall as we have many trees with diverse leaves. We have a creek that is accessible from campus and it is a mesmerizing walk to walk either alone, with a peer, or even significant other. There are many food trucks ranging from savory to sweet.

Karthik

I think UC-Davis is a great campus with a not too competitive environment and people are also really friendly, and there is a large enough crowd of people where you can find your own group of people. The academics here are a little rigorous though but they do have some basic easy electives that anyone who chooses can take. There is also a lot of diversity on campus which is good.

UC Davis has a rather "chill" environment. The academics can be difficult, and there is not a ton of parties, but the overall atmosphere is not super intense like it can be at other academically competitive schools. There is a lot of opportunity for students to do research with professors, and generally, professors are easily accessible.

Cristian

UCD is a very cultural school. You will always find someone or group you can relate and hangout with. The advisors want the best for you and they do their best to keep you in school. I thought of dropping out but I was convinced by my advisors that with a lot of work and determination I can finish strong. However, the city is quite but with friends you can make all the fun you want.

Katherine

It's extremely okay, if I were to simplify my feelings about this place. Some things are good, and something aren't so great. There's a lot to be said, for example, about the administration (at least coming from the perspective of someone whose social groups tend to be more politically inclined).

Davis is a great school. People are really down to earth and friendly here, and the campus is great and really supportive of it's students. It also is in a great location as you can take trips to Tahoe or San Francisco really easily. Sacramento is also only 20 minutes away.