University of Florida Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Florida

My experience while attending the University of Florida has, thus far, been mostly positive. The College of Journalism and Communications has been welcoming and encourages all students to excel. During the Fall 2017 semester, the students have shown an overwhelming sense of community and solidarity through the most trying of times. The presence of the alt-right on our was met with peaceful protests throughout UF and the entire city of Gainesville.

Savannah

Great school! Classes are very difficult, especially compared to other Universities in Florida. There are so many resources and opportunities on campus, I never feel lost or confused when trying to find out something important. Most, if not all, of the students are extremely personable.

Whitney

I've transferred schools three times and of the three, this has been the school where I'm happiest in the most whole way. The arts funding and facilities could be a lot better, but they aren't anywhere near bad and the faculty are all wonderful, competent people. My life is very separate from Greek and sports culture but even though I don't participate in them, they make the campus and surrounding areas constantly alive and there are plenty of alternatives for extracurriculars and fun. I'm very happy I ended up at this school.

Ryan

i absolutely love it here! i am extremely happy i chose UF. the people i've met are amazing...i like them more than my friends from home! the professors are pretty decent, and definitely willing to help outside of class. UF really cares about the mental and physical health of its students, so definitely reach out if you aren't feeling too great. there are many student orgs and clubs to join--you don't have to be in greek life, i'm not! on campus and off campus housing is great, and i always feel safe.

Gizelle Bernadette

It's my #1 college!

Olivia

Love my school. Best decision I ever made. It’s hard adjusting your first year because the campus is so big and you get swallowed up, but once you join a club or two you find your people easily. Great amenities on campus. I love the free yoga classes at the student rec center.

Kortney

The University of Florida, from the outside is a beautiful, chaotic and restless body that seems to operate effortlessly and effectively. But once you actually become a part of it, it is easy to lose yourself. My freshman year, I was so excited and ready to become a part of this beautiful institution, but here I am in my second year, feeling lost and confused. I haven't quite found my niche and it makes me feel like there is no place for me here. The culture of UF is so many things. It's collective happiness and sadness all in one.

Simran

The University of Florida is an amazing school and I love the opportunities presented to me, both social and academic. I appreciate the wide diversity of people on campus from different cultures, career paths, and different political viewpoints. However, sometimes the large student body can make it intimidating to find your own, unique place.

Zachary

In general, the University of Florida is excellent. Academic level is high, there are plenty of high-quality extracurriculars to participate in, and it’s easy to be surroundwd by good people. On the fringes, I have some more criticisms, however. It often feels like the university is just after your money, with loads of unneeded fees and fines, and getting a straight and clear answer to a question from an advisor can seem impossible at times.

Danielle

I am currently a first year Interior Design student here and I honestly love it. Here at UF I have gotten the opportunity to make new friends and build relationships with my professors in the short 3 months that I have been attending. I would strongly suggest that people consider this school for any major choice.

Daysi

The University of Florida is a great school. There are clubs for everything you can imagine and there are plenty of research opportunities for those who are interested. I really enjoy the wide array of classes, especially because I always end up taking at least one class per semester that it outside of my comfort zone. Since being here, I find it easier to talk to people and share my ideas and beliefs in and out the classroom. I have also found it extremely helpful that professors tend to be available outside of the classroom because then I can easily reach out when I need help. I think that college is really about expanding your horizons and developing who you are and I think that UF has really helped me do that.

Taylar

Originally I DID NOT want to go here. The atmosphere reeked of douche frat "bros" and cheap alcohol and it wasn't what I wanted from my college experience. My friends told my the academics were good but I didn't believe them, how good could a hick town in the middle of Florida be? After a series of unfortunate circumstances I realized UF was my best hope for education and now a year later I am so happy I fell into it's lap. UF is definitely a school that needs more than a first impression. The students are active and striving as the libraries stay full until four in the morning and you never can catch anyone with a laptop in one hand and a book in the other. I have met the most incredible professors and TAs who have so much to teach and provide students with the conditions to not only pass but succeed. I have regained a sense of focus within my life at UF and I am so lucky to have made it a part of my life.

Hunter

The University of Florida is a wonderful, diverse community. Its academics are top notch and help develop real world skills for the future. The insane amount of extracurriculars are also second to none and cost little to no money to participate in. Overall I could not have picked a better school to attend for my college life/education.

Brittney

The University of Florida is an amazing school that challenges its students to be the best they can be, while also maintaining a family-like, tight-knit community. As students, we bond over our sports teams, our local music and art scenes, and, of course, our common goal of academic excellence. I feel very fortunate to have been a part of the Gator Nation for the past 4 years.

Carol

I enjoy the University of Florida a lot. I part take in one of the club sports teams and couldn't have been happier in my choice. I immediately found a place where I can find people of same interests that support me, all the way to the national title this year! Overall the University has opened my eyes to so much more, even if I am from Gainesville, UF is so much more than what meets the eye. I couldn't have chosen a better place to spend my undergraduate at.

Tatyana

I believe that the University of Florida is a great institute for students to attend. Although some classes can be rigorous, they are still manageable. The best thing about UF are the football games, the energy is so high that we don't sit the entire game. I would recommend any recent high school graduates to attend the University of Florida. #GOGATORS!

Hope

The Univeristy of Florida is a great college that is highly known for its academics and amazing professors. I love the school and the amount of student participation when it comes to football games, rallys, protests, concerts, etc. One thing that I do not like about the school is the campus is in a very bad city and the people that drive through the campus do not obey the signs and watch out for students walking. I have almost been hit about three or four times walking home at night. I love the atmosphere of the school and the people but the location of the campus is not ideal. I am glad I went to UF because I know I am going to get a good education that I can apply in my future career field of psychology.

Mckayla

The University of Florida is a nice college. As a person who focuses on academics, that is all it really offers to me. The research aspect can seem very pressuring but also helpful. As a social science major I feel a bit inferior. Engineering and other STEM students seem to have the most advantages.

Vy

It is a decent school when it comes to classes. There are plenty of student organizations and programs to get involved in. The real opportunities are in academic research. We have state of the art facilities and hundreds of great minds. I recommend getting involved in this as soon as possible.

Kelly

It is truly great to be a Florida Gator! The coursework is challenging, but it's why UF is ranked so highly nationally. It will push you to your academic limits and prepare you for the professional world. The campus is diverse, and it's filled with opportunities to become involved and meet lifelong friends. I've seen a few reviews which say that Gainesville has nothing to do - totally not true! In addition to joining one of the hundreds of organization on campus, including club and professional sports teams, Greek life, honor societies, and clubs for hobbies, Gainesville has a strong nightlife scene, as well as a location near beautiful wildlife areas such as Paynes Prairie and Devil's Den. I would highly recommend UF to students who want to challenge themselves academically while still having the time of their lives.

I love UF. It is a great place to have that "college experience" everyone talks about getting. This is because the academics are great, and students are very focused on grades and studying. The libraries are always crowded and its very competitive academically. Yet, there is also a large party scene where students can go have fun when they are done studying. On game days the Frats are a sea of orange and blue, and theres always a party going on in Midtown. UF is really the perfect balance of "work hard, play hard." This balance is so important because it gives students a chance to learn how to balance work and play in the real world, while being protected by the campus environment, but also having the freedom to make their own decisions.

Elijah

It is a good school (it is rated in the top 10 public schools), but initial classes like your bio's, calc's, chem's, etc are very impersonal and definitely designed to be "weed out classes" rather than actually giving you all the info you need. They force you to be resourceful, and at times the professors do not give you enough instruction necessary to complete work or tests without your own bit of research. Additionally, the campus is nice, but UF is Gainesville - meaning you will have to get creative with your extra curricular's off campus. Overall its a good university though.

Sabrina

University of Florida is an inviting, and welcoming school. From the moment you step on campus you feel the pride of being a Gator. The campus food is so amazing, especially the pizza. The housing for the students on campus seems to be nice, and in the middle of everything. If theres one University I would go to I definitely would go to University of Florida!

Christian

The University of Florida is a great institution that allows you room to both achieve academically and socially. Students and staff here are extremely nice and accepting of all types of people. All of the resources necessary to do well are provided and easily accessible.

Dennis

The University of Florida is likely typical of a large university, but when I started here as a graduate student, the experience was nothing like what I expected. Coming from a smaller university, I had no idea how a university community could perform at such a high level in sports, at the parties, and even in the classroom. Students here stress about exams not because they might fail, but because they might not get an A. The campus is such that the library and the fitness centers are open into the wee hours of the night, and it wouldn't be unusual to walk down University Avenue and see a student leaving the gym to get to the library, or leaving the library to get to a party. Occasionally you might see a student leaving the party to get to the library. This is a campus where everyone puts 150 percent into every activity and goal. This atmosphere creates a community bent on learning and networking. The "Gator Nation" is one of the largest alumni networks around and the peer pressure to excel pushes students to do their best everywhere. The level of "excellence" at UF is such that even the club sports athletes have more talent than some NCAA scholarship athletes. The only downside is that you might not see a professor. Undergraduate education is either large lecture or on-line. Often, labs and lower-level classes are taught by teaching assistants. This is the model used by larger research institutions like UF. If you need to have contact with your professors early on, UF is not right for you. Is this the college for you? to be honest, it can be overwhelming and there are a few flaws. If I came as an undergraduate I might have failed out by partying. If you're the type of person that has focus and drive, and a desire to excel with friends, then the University of Florida is right for you. Here, there's truly something for everybody,

Kyle

The University of Florida is a fantastic school and I do not want to go anywhere else. I absolutely love all the libraries, buildings, and architecture. The class sizes are reasonable and the professors are complete masters in their field of study on any questions you may have. I love everything about this school!

As a freshmen at UF, I have recognized definite positive and negatives of the campus and community. I'm currently living on-campus in a dorm and never had any problems with safety, cleanliness, and building structure. Occasionally floor mates leave the bathrooms/lounge a mess, but the staff is amazing and cleans them everyday. Meal plans are expensive, but the food at the dining halls are actually quite delicious with plenty of options (salad bar, soups, cereal, fruit, hot foods, omelette bar, dessert), contrary of the quota of "dining hall" food. There are so many places to eat on campus! The bus system is quick and efficient, especially with the app that tracks all of the routes. Regarding academics, my professors all show respect and care for the students and are very serious about the students' success. Their office hours are perfect and can easily be contacted by email. The culture of UF is so diverse and exciting, you will never be bored. There's a club/organization for everyone and a place to call home for everyone. I can't wait for the next four years. Go Gators!

Tiffany

It's a pretty good school for academics especially in the medical, English, and engineering field. There are plenty of extracurriculars people are able to do. There's not a lot of study space, however, there are a lot of students. There's a lot of research opportunities as well as opportunities for people to be able to get a feel for the field they're looking to go into.

lyric

I love my school. There is so much school spirit; We Gators take pride in our school and our athletics. My favorite thing about going to UF is attending the basketball games and getting a free membership to the gym at the Southwest Recreation Center. The teacher's are available often and have plenty of TA's when they aren't.

Alexis

I can not express how much I love the University of Florida. I have only visited the campus twice, but it feels like home. The architecture is beautiful, and everyone has a good attitude about the college. There is a lot of school spirit, so it makes you feel like you are apart of something bigger than yourself.

emily

Overall I feel as if FIU is an alright school. Its mainly a commuter school so if you're looking for the "college experience" this isn't it. Housing is way overpriced and FIU doesn't offer many scholarship opportunities. For those that are not from South Florida don't expect what you see on tv.

Bianca

My overall opinion of the University of Florida is good. I feel that i would enjoy going to school here and would be interested in joining many of the clubs and participating in extra curriculars outside of school. The campus is beautiful and huge. I feel that if I went to school here I would be learning and experiencing something new everyday.

Savannah

The University of Florida is a fantastic school. There is so much activity that I believe there is something for everyone. The diversity of students and variety of groups, clubs, and sports is my favorite thing about it. It also has amazing academics and athletics as well as being the most economical (with regard to return on investment) in the state. There is not much to dislike about this school.

Jazzmin

The campus is lively and energetic, and academics are highly stressed. My only problem is that since it's a predominantly white institution, minorities get overlooked a lot by higher officials. Racial incidences happen often on the campus and they're not publicized promptly or addressed by higher faculty with solutions.

Cameron

I love this school and it is a school to die for. At the University of Florida, you will never feel singled out or you would never feel that you have nothing to do. The athletics at the University of Florida are phenomenal and keep you occupied throughout your time at the school. You always have friends to talk to because the school has a welcoming atmosphere that anybody could step right into and feel comfortable with.

Christa

I would say that the University of Florida is a largely STEM-oriented school. This is not a criticism; in fact, this a major reason why I chose to attend this University. I will say it makes all of the STEM majors very competitive, and leaves some other, unrelated fields with less funding and support. Since I am pursuing a dual degree in Mathematics and Music, I am able to witness both sides of the coin, and will say that there is a disparity between the funding in different areas of study.

India

It is a huge school with plenty of activities to keep students entertained. There are more outlets than I was expecting for minority students to feel welcomed, but there is always room for more. The University should let its students know more about its history and how it came to be. All in all, the University of Florida is an excellent place to be and provides a superb experience for young adults on campus.

Matthew

It's really good, I have been in UF for almost two years now and it has been time very well spent. I've grown a lot as a person, and that is thanks to UF's expansive student body. It seems like there's always something happening, but not too much that it distracts me from my studies. Overall, I think it is a solid University for any student.

Ryan

The University of Florida is a great school not only for academics but also sports and a variety of other opportunities. Arts and Sports are great examples, just to name a few. This University is not exactly the easiest to get accepted into but once you meet their qualifications, you're good! A very large campus with Beautiful dorms and great utilities. The food and housing is also great. This school has a great Mathematics program perfect for somebody looking for a Math major...like me!

Shay

Amazing school overall! Great social scene for those who enjoy going out, as well as amazing academics. There are a great deal of clubs and things to do for everyone. Finally, many different kind of employment opportunities.

Kamora

The requirements for my dream college were pretty basic. I mostly just wanted to stay in state for my bachelors, with the possibly of traveling somewhere else if I planned to further my education. With that said, I only really considered UF and FSU. And with my first year down, I can proudly say that I am happy I choose to be a Gator.

Ashleigh

I feel it is an amazing school! That I love everything about! I aspire to become a part of the everyday life at this school once I graduate high school! As well as, one of the memebers of the Color Guard with the band! All while completing the Veterinarian Medicine Program!

Janae

It is a school where you can feel like you are a part of something bigger than yourself. I enjoyed my time their immensely. It is definitely and environment that it allows students to grow exponentially in every aspect of their identity. During my time at the university, I blossomed into a deep thinker, an advocate, a student leader, and a global citizen. Go Gators, always!

Gabbi

As I've recently completed my first year at UF and have had quality conversations with friends from other universities, I can genuinely say that I believe my positive first-year experience is due to the open environment at UF. As a large school with many students, there are plenty of opportunities to partake in extracurricular activities and join groups that you identify with or are simply interested in. I think that for a school that has as many students as UF does, it's amazing that professors take an interest in their students' success and there are so many various ways students can get involved in their field while exploring other interests. Within one school year, I've formed bonds with close friends that I feel will last a lifetime. I'm glad that I chose to attend UF and grateful for all of the great opportunities I've already had and those to come in the future.

Madison

I enjoy attending the University of Florida. The campus is huge and there are so many clubs and events to attend. I feel that I have picked the right school for me. Sometimes the business on campus can be a little overwhelming, but I am getting used to it.

Mary

The University of Florida has a great culture both at the university and in the town of Gainesville. Students and faculty are all very warm and welcoming and always available to assist someone in need. The residents of Gainesville are a mixed bag of people from all walks of life!

Blake

I loved my time at UF. The faculty is great; the staff is friendly and helpful for the most part; and your fellow students are just wonderful. I really believe that there is no better university in the state of Florida. The only major problem at UF is parking. There are not nearly enough spots, and students regularly drive around for 20-30 minutes trying to find a spot. More lots would help, but this doesn't seem to be a priority for the university right now. That being said, UF is a great experience overall. I am proud to be a Gator, and I hope very much to see my children go to UF one day.

Alexandre

It's great to be a Florida Gator. UF provides a lot to it's students, and I feel like too many people underestimate how difficult of a task it is. I'm very happy with the facilities and the classes and I hugely admire the President's incessant work to continuously improve UF for the better of the students.

As an animal science student at the University of Florida, it may be a bit tough to stay up-to-date with all of the activities going on around the main campus at times because the animal science building and college of veterinary medicine are located about a mile and a half from the main campus. However, this distance is only a bus ride away if you ever need to get to a class or just want to visit all the great facilities on the main campus. Additionally, this distance is a mere inconvenience outweighed by the warmth, generosity, and friendliness of everyone in the animal science department at UF - from administration and faculty to other undergraduate and graduate students. Whether you come from a family well versed in the field of agriculture and grew up raising livestock or come from a family that lived in a small apartment in the middle of a suburb, you'll never feel out of place in the animal science department and will always have ample opportunities to expand your horizons and acquire valuable experience with all kinds of livestock species.

Isabella

Amazing. I absolutely love it, no place I would rather be. I am constantly bragging to my friends. I tell anybody and everybody how great UF is and am constantly showing statistics that prove so. Just recently, UF was granted the number one school in Florida which i fully believe.