Biddeford, ME
University of New England

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of New England

Michelle

Most classrooms are small, with modern technology equipment like, projectors and a main computer. Classrooms have both blackboards and whiteboards. The lecture halls are the biggest classrooms and they accommodate no more than 100 students. All class rooms are designed to provide students with the best learning environment. Most of all the classrooms have periodic tables because the school is heavily science based. All classrooms have windows.

You are young, smart and beautiful. Don?t set yourself up to meet expectations, set yourself up to exceed them. It doesn?t matter where your friends go, they won?t be there tomorrow. It doesn?t matter what your parents think because they support you no matter what. This is the time in your life when you learn and discover. Don?t miss any opportunity to show the world who you are. Don?t take life so seriously and laugh, laugh at everyone, everything and never stop laughing. Smile, be genuine and most of all be true to yourself. You are the only one who can?t let you down. I applied to only one school. My biggest regret is not taking a chance, to see what else was out there. I feel content, happy, and secure here. I am an easy going, fun, energetic person so I knew making friends in college would be no big deal. But sometimes I wish I would have gone to Chicago for school like I always wanted to or somewhere else away from home. If I could go back, I would motivate myself to take a risk and see what happens.

If you are going to school to ?party?, this is not the school to attend. While UNE is a very proud and socially interactive place, the largest majority of the students drink in small quantities on the weekend only in small social settings. During the week these students put their studies first and are very concentrated on excelling. You shouldn't attend UNE if you are not interested in pursuing science or if you are undeclared. If you have financial difficulties, I would compare the financial aid package with other schools you?ve been accepted to before deciding on UNE.

Matthew

The University of New England is a nice little school on the coast of Maine that has an amazing Biology program.

If I were able to travel back in time I would do many things. But that is irrelevant in relation to this topic so if I were to just go back in time and tell my High School self one thing it would be to work on study habits. Out of the millions of possible answers, that is the one thing that will definitely help a person in college. I did not perfect my study habits in High School and my first semester grades showed that. But this semester I am working on my study habits, getting together with friends to study and going to the Learning Assistance Center on campus. So if I was able to go back to High School I would tell myself to work on study habits because studying helps grades and grades are what make or break a college student.

Any one who wants to be pre-med, pre-farm, or major in Biology or Marine Biology should definitely include this school in the list of schools they apply to.

Krista

Something that is unique about UNE compared to other schools that I was accepted to is the size. I applied to schools like the University of New Hampshire and the University of Vermont. Both of these schools are great schools, but they were just too big for me. Also, UNE has an amazing physical therapy program, which is what I want to go to graduate school for. This school also has a high pass rate for boards.This is one of the best schools in New England with an excellent reputation with future employers.

If I could go back now, as a college student, to talk to myself as a high school senior there are many things I would want to tell myself. The first being, I should have taken more Project Running Start classes. My high school offered college level classes for $100. I took two my senior year, but could have definitely taken more. I came to college already having six college credits, but I could have definitely gotten more. Also, the other thing that I would want to tell myself is to pick a different major the first time. When I first came to UNE I was a Medical Biology/Pre PT major. I realized during first semester that I didn?t like medical biology, and that I was really interested in psychology. I switched majors halfway through first semester, and I currently love being a psychology major. The professors in the psychology department are amazing. I also have a new academic advisor who is willing to help me with whatever it is I need. I would also tell myself not to worry about living away from friends and family. I feel like UNE is my second home now.

I consider the best thing about UNE the small university atmosphere. You get to have a lot of one-on-one time with the professors, and the class sizes are small. This provides an excellent learning environment. Also, the small student population, allows tutors to be available to students who want them. You get to know a lot of people, find a lot of friends, and get a great education. I would say that my success here at UNE has a lot to do with it?s size, and I am very grateful that this is a smaller school.

Mary

If I could go back to give my high self advice about college life, I would tell myself to look into different types of majors and careers before committing to one specific life. I would also tell myself to not settle for a school that you think you might like because the chances are you probably won't like it. It's best to attend the school you have a good gut feeling about. I would also tell myself not to leave things to the last minute especially the application process. Also, college life is a lot different from high school life because there is a lot more freedom. I would advise my high school self not to take advantage of the freedom because no one is going to be there to make sure you have your priorities straight. The only person thats looking out for your best interest is you and you make all the decisions, so if you feel you shouldn't do something then don't do it. Lastly, I would advise not to give in to Peer Pressure with anything!

I wish I had done more research on all the majors that are offered at this school and to check out the campus more. I also would have asked more people about their opinions about the school's social life and academic life.

University of New England is a pretty big school, located on the ocean. Anyone who prefers a small school and does not like Maine winters should not attend UNE. The campus is also pretty big and is a closed campus in a rural area. Anyone who wants to be in the city should not attend this school.

Lindsey

They are very academic focused and it that rewards its students down the road after they have graduated.

I would give myself the advice to get as invloved as I can in school and to give back to the community. Being focused on school and academics is more beneficial and important than just focusing on the social aspect, even as important as that aspect is. There is time for the social aspect of college, but only after the academic part is achieved. Getting involved in the community is a great way to meet people as well as to make a difference in the community. Taking time for yourself and enjoying the time in college is as important as doing well. These are the best years of your life and take time to take in those moments that will stay with you for the rest of your life. If I were to go back and give myself any advice, overall it would be to stay focused on academics and to get involved and give back to the community that you will be a part of in college.

The location, the University is right on the Saco River which dumps right into the ocean. Most of the houses that students rent out their senior year are right on the ocean and this is one of the only schools in the New England area that gives that opportunity to it's students.

Daniel

To think back on myself two years ago when I was entering college and wonder 'what was I not aware of?' is a difficult task. The excitement and nervousness about entering college was a great learning experience for me and I thrived in the environment I was brought into. However there are some words of advice I would give to myself that I could take as guidelines to make my transition into college easier and that is to maintain your focus. First semester of college can be overwhelming but also a lot of fun, especially meeting new people and making new friends. One aspect of this I learned quickly was that there are many distractions surrounding you at all times and the most important thing to do is maintain your priorities of: school, health, family, friends, and then socializing. Staying focused and staying on top of the priorities you set for yourself is not only the key to success but the key to making an easy transition into the college lifestyle. I believe every step in life is a learning experience and if I could go back that would be the only advice I would give myself.

Someone who is very active, enjoys the outdoors and exercise. Also someone who enjoys a smaller close community.

The food is very unhealthy in my opinion, I try to diet and exercise and the food service makes it difficult to be healthy.

Dear Sarah, The college life isn't so bad. I know you have said over and over you'd like to attend community college for a few years and be done because you don't want to be in big classes and leave your family and friends, but please hear me out and reconsider. Choose a small school, for example, The University of New England in Portland, Maine. Only about 100 students dorm , so everyone is close. Having to adapt to new people, screaming girls, the party life, broken hearts, and drama may seem difficult and easier to stay out of, but you learn to make do with what you have. As for classes, although you do have to study harder and the professors don't really care if you go to class or not, it isn't really too bad. If you pick a major you know you'll enjoy and go into class wih confidence, saying "I can do this and I'll love it!" you will succeed. Ten percent of life is what happens and ninety percent is how you react to it. Enjoy what you are doing and the rest will fall into place. From, Yourself

I wish I would have known how small the classes were and how small the dorming was, so I could have some sooner! I went to a community college first because I wasn't ready for big classes and crowded dorms.

The food and lack of campus activities.

Shannon

First of all I would tell myself that my work load in college would be much more lighter than my work load in high school. I would also tell myself not to have a nervous breakdown for getting one lousy grade because in the end you'll get all A's and one bad grade won't affect it too much. Most importantly, I would tll myself to hang in there because my first month and a half I cried a lot because I missed my home and family, but I love my college friends and after a while I learned to love it at UNE so much that I missed it when I went home. Thus, I would let myself know that it was worth it to live on campus rather than commute because I needed to experience life away from my family and it helped me to grow and meet new people.

I brag about the wonderful location of my school which is right on the ocean. We have our own secluded private beach and it is so beautiful fall, winter, and spring! Also, everyone is extremely friendly and helpful, whether they're upper classmen, staff, or professors!

The most frustrating thing about my school is the course requirements for freshmen and sophomores because I already know everything I am learning in these first 2 years from high school and none of those courses pertain to my major which is occupational therapy.

Alyssa

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior I would tell myself to have an open-mind and be more outgoing. College can be a stressful transition but going into everything with and open-mind and postive attitude only helps to ease yourself through the change. Roomates can get on your nerves but you just look at them like siblings. You may not like the situation all the time but you are stuck with them for the year. You have to make the best of what you are presented with. Being outgoing helps you to make more friends which assists in building a strong support system. This is helpful when you are hit with the bouts of homesickness or your struggling with a class or just want to hang out. It may be a scary change but the indepence and responsiblities can be pretty fun. It is the first major step towards the "adult life" but it it worth the troubles. Take in the good times and the bad, learn from your mistakes. and enjoy the time while it lasts because it flies by.

My classmates offer motivation to better in classes and a strong support base.

The school is an amazing school that offers many opportunities yet, does not have a large student body. This tends to be a frustrating factor that students must deal with when attending this school. This means there are smaller class sizes which promote student teacher relationships but it also means that you meet the same people and often have many of the same people throughout your classes. It is also difficult on the weekends because many students choose to go home. This only causes the already small student body to dwindle.

I would tell myself to join more school activities, they are a very good way to meet people and I have found without them my social group is much more limited. I would also tell myself to apply to work study jobs sooner, because all the good jobs are gone before long. Combine this with an ability to manage time in order to get schoolwork done, and you will do well. Finally, don't worry so much about being liked. The kids here are usually very accepting, and the professors are not as scary as their title suggests!

This school has housing problems, there are always people on the waiting list and the seniors are kicked off of campus.

I brag about the amount of scholarships and financial aid available and how nice and genuinely concerned about you the professors are.

University of New England administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.