Biddeford, ME
University of New England

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of New England

kelsey

My school is unique compared to other because it is geared toward just medical professions. The students who attend the University of New England are from different ethnic groups, races etc. There is a diverse population there.

So far in my first year of college I have learned the basics in the field of dental hygiene and it has shown me that this carrer is perfect for me. I love the challeneges they set for us as students because it shows us that nothing is easy in life and that you have to work hard for what you want.

The person who should attend this school is someone who is not afraid of hard work. All the programs require students to give their all and to never give up. this school is not cheap, when someone wants to attend this school you need to do the work so the money is worth it in the end.

Andrea

The greatest thing I will take away from my college experience is the people I have met. When people say you meet life-long friends during college, they are right. I love attending a relatively small University because walking around campus you know so many people on a personal level, rather than seeing a bunch of people you do not know. The people that attend UNE are genuienly focused on better their lives through their education. The proffessors are very involved with all the students, doing what they can to help. Overall, the University of New England is a great college and a perfect fit for me. There are so many things I will take away from this university that has bettered me as person in many ways.

The kind of person who should attend this school is someone who loves to be near the ocean, since the campus is located right on the ocean. Also they should want to attend a small school with smaller class sizes. If you are the type of person who likes to live in a busy city in a large school, UNE is not for you. However, if you enjoy knowing your teachers personally and enjoy a small campus, UNE is for you.

Linda

My classmates help to further my UNE experience and gain new insight on who I am and where I belong on campus which creates a friendly atmosphere that is easy to thrive in.

University of New England is best known for its science majors. The campus has a new state of the art marine science center which gives students a chance to explore the field of marine science and might have the chance to volunteer at the marine rehabilitation center. In addition, UNE is known for it fields in athletic training, occupational therapy, dentistry, pre pa, and the list goes on. Our school is also known for its academic excellence which is derived from small class sizes and one-on-one teacher relations.

UNE gave me the opportunity to excel in both academics and research. This would have not occurred if I did not go to UNE because most school hierarchy is set in stone and nearly impossible to further yourself as a student. For example, most school do not allow student to be accepted in their honors program after they already attended the school for a semester or after the honors program deadline has passed. Although my school gave me the opportunity after my first semester of college. This school is definitely worth attending because the connections you make here are for life which is an added asset when applying for internships and graduate school.

Michelle

Most classrooms are small, with modern technology equipment like, projectors and a main computer. Classrooms have both blackboards and whiteboards. The lecture halls are the biggest classrooms and they accommodate no more than 100 students. All class rooms are designed to provide students with the best learning environment. Most of all the classrooms have periodic tables because the school is heavily science based. All classrooms have windows.

You are young, smart and beautiful. Don?t set yourself up to meet expectations, set yourself up to exceed them. It doesn?t matter where your friends go, they won?t be there tomorrow. It doesn?t matter what your parents think because they support you no matter what. This is the time in your life when you learn and discover. Don?t miss any opportunity to show the world who you are. Don?t take life so seriously and laugh, laugh at everyone, everything and never stop laughing. Smile, be genuine and most of all be true to yourself. You are the only one who can?t let you down. I applied to only one school. My biggest regret is not taking a chance, to see what else was out there. I feel content, happy, and secure here. I am an easy going, fun, energetic person so I knew making friends in college would be no big deal. But sometimes I wish I would have gone to Chicago for school like I always wanted to or somewhere else away from home. If I could go back, I would motivate myself to take a risk and see what happens.

If you are going to school to ?party?, this is not the school to attend. While UNE is a very proud and socially interactive place, the largest majority of the students drink in small quantities on the weekend only in small social settings. During the week these students put their studies first and are very concentrated on excelling. You shouldn't attend UNE if you are not interested in pursuing science or if you are undeclared. If you have financial difficulties, I would compare the financial aid package with other schools you?ve been accepted to before deciding on UNE.

Matthew

The University of New England is a nice little school on the coast of Maine that has an amazing Biology program.

If I were able to travel back in time I would do many things. But that is irrelevant in relation to this topic so if I were to just go back in time and tell my High School self one thing it would be to work on study habits. Out of the millions of possible answers, that is the one thing that will definitely help a person in college. I did not perfect my study habits in High School and my first semester grades showed that. But this semester I am working on my study habits, getting together with friends to study and going to the Learning Assistance Center on campus. So if I was able to go back to High School I would tell myself to work on study habits because studying helps grades and grades are what make or break a college student.

Any one who wants to be pre-med, pre-farm, or major in Biology or Marine Biology should definitely include this school in the list of schools they apply to.

Krista

Something that is unique about UNE compared to other schools that I was accepted to is the size. I applied to schools like the University of New Hampshire and the University of Vermont. Both of these schools are great schools, but they were just too big for me. Also, UNE has an amazing physical therapy program, which is what I want to go to graduate school for. This school also has a high pass rate for boards.This is one of the best schools in New England with an excellent reputation with future employers.

If I could go back now, as a college student, to talk to myself as a high school senior there are many things I would want to tell myself. The first being, I should have taken more Project Running Start classes. My high school offered college level classes for $100. I took two my senior year, but could have definitely taken more. I came to college already having six college credits, but I could have definitely gotten more. Also, the other thing that I would want to tell myself is to pick a different major the first time. When I first came to UNE I was a Medical Biology/Pre PT major. I realized during first semester that I didn?t like medical biology, and that I was really interested in psychology. I switched majors halfway through first semester, and I currently love being a psychology major. The professors in the psychology department are amazing. I also have a new academic advisor who is willing to help me with whatever it is I need. I would also tell myself not to worry about living away from friends and family. I feel like UNE is my second home now.

I consider the best thing about UNE the small university atmosphere. You get to have a lot of one-on-one time with the professors, and the class sizes are small. This provides an excellent learning environment. Also, the small student population, allows tutors to be available to students who want them. You get to know a lot of people, find a lot of friends, and get a great education. I would say that my success here at UNE has a lot to do with it?s size, and I am very grateful that this is a smaller school.

Mary

If I could go back to give my high self advice about college life, I would tell myself to look into different types of majors and careers before committing to one specific life. I would also tell myself to not settle for a school that you think you might like because the chances are you probably won't like it. It's best to attend the school you have a good gut feeling about. I would also tell myself not to leave things to the last minute especially the application process. Also, college life is a lot different from high school life because there is a lot more freedom. I would advise my high school self not to take advantage of the freedom because no one is going to be there to make sure you have your priorities straight. The only person thats looking out for your best interest is you and you make all the decisions, so if you feel you shouldn't do something then don't do it. Lastly, I would advise not to give in to Peer Pressure with anything!

I wish I had done more research on all the majors that are offered at this school and to check out the campus more. I also would have asked more people about their opinions about the school's social life and academic life.

University of New England is a pretty big school, located on the ocean. Anyone who prefers a small school and does not like Maine winters should not attend UNE. The campus is also pretty big and is a closed campus in a rural area. Anyone who wants to be in the city should not attend this school.

Lindsey

They are very academic focused and it that rewards its students down the road after they have graduated.

I would give myself the advice to get as invloved as I can in school and to give back to the community. Being focused on school and academics is more beneficial and important than just focusing on the social aspect, even as important as that aspect is. There is time for the social aspect of college, but only after the academic part is achieved. Getting involved in the community is a great way to meet people as well as to make a difference in the community. Taking time for yourself and enjoying the time in college is as important as doing well. These are the best years of your life and take time to take in those moments that will stay with you for the rest of your life. If I were to go back and give myself any advice, overall it would be to stay focused on academics and to get involved and give back to the community that you will be a part of in college.

The location, the University is right on the Saco River which dumps right into the ocean. Most of the houses that students rent out their senior year are right on the ocean and this is one of the only schools in the New England area that gives that opportunity to it's students.

Daniel

To think back on myself two years ago when I was entering college and wonder 'what was I not aware of?' is a difficult task. The excitement and nervousness about entering college was a great learning experience for me and I thrived in the environment I was brought into. However there are some words of advice I would give to myself that I could take as guidelines to make my transition into college easier and that is to maintain your focus. First semester of college can be overwhelming but also a lot of fun, especially meeting new people and making new friends. One aspect of this I learned quickly was that there are many distractions surrounding you at all times and the most important thing to do is maintain your priorities of: school, health, family, friends, and then socializing. Staying focused and staying on top of the priorities you set for yourself is not only the key to success but the key to making an easy transition into the college lifestyle. I believe every step in life is a learning experience and if I could go back that would be the only advice I would give myself.

Someone who is very active, enjoys the outdoors and exercise. Also someone who enjoys a smaller close community.

The food is very unhealthy in my opinion, I try to diet and exercise and the food service makes it difficult to be healthy.

Dear Sarah, The college life isn't so bad. I know you have said over and over you'd like to attend community college for a few years and be done because you don't want to be in big classes and leave your family and friends, but please hear me out and reconsider. Choose a small school, for example, The University of New England in Portland, Maine. Only about 100 students dorm , so everyone is close. Having to adapt to new people, screaming girls, the party life, broken hearts, and drama may seem difficult and easier to stay out of, but you learn to make do with what you have. As for classes, although you do have to study harder and the professors don't really care if you go to class or not, it isn't really too bad. If you pick a major you know you'll enjoy and go into class wih confidence, saying "I can do this and I'll love it!" you will succeed. Ten percent of life is what happens and ninety percent is how you react to it. Enjoy what you are doing and the rest will fall into place. From, Yourself

I wish I would have known how small the classes were and how small the dorming was, so I could have some sooner! I went to a community college first because I wasn't ready for big classes and crowded dorms.

The food and lack of campus activities.

University of New England administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.