Philadelphia, PA
University of Pennsylvania

Ben

Go to a state school with friendly people, good sports, and strong academics. Don't fall for the prestige of an Ivy league school.

The huge number of rich, entitled, spoiled brats who go here. Also, the greek dominance of Penn's social scene.

Yu

Many people here are relatively humble given their exceptional backgrounds., with the person next to you in line or in class most likely fitting one of these descriptions: valedictorian, athlete, entrepreneur, genius, hard worker, among others; but don't imply from friendly smiles that they will hold back from you in competition.

Come hungry. Entering college in the US is a wonderful privilege in today's world, especially in light of the recent crisis. These upcoming years will expose you to people of similar interests and different backgrounds and place you next door to some of the world's most brilliant minds--the individuals that will shape our future. Set a goal for yourself to meet as many people as possible; don't be afraid to interact with fellow freshmen and upperclassmen, many of whom are in the same boat as you and just need someone to say "hi. " It is here you will meet your lifelong friends, the co-founder of your new company, or even the partner with whom you will exchange vows. They are all out there waiting for you. Make sure you step out of your comfort zone and fine them. Time is precious, so seize every chance to learn and work while you can. The biggest difference between you and upperclassmen is experience; every step to close that gap places you a step ahead. Take full advantage of this opportunity to learn more about yourself, your colleagues, and the world around you. Good luck! --JZ

Those unafraid to put forth their opinions, open to a fairly diverse community, and seeking to learn a broad base of knowledge will fit in well here. For those pursuing business, however, the ability to handle strong competition is a must, as a large component of a Wharton student's life is the fierce competition presented by his/her peers.

emily

If I could give my younger self advice, I would definitely tell myself to try more things and take more risks. I've come to realize that nothing is ever a safe choice and that trying to choose the safest option leaves one cut off from opportunities. I first went to a college that I considered "safe," one that was not too challenging or scary. After freshman year, I regretted my choice and I transferred to my current school, which was the most frightening thing I've ever done. It felt like leaping off a cliff, but now that I am on the other side I'm so proud of myself for changing my life to go in the direction I want. I wish I could tell myself in highschool to go for the harder school in the first place, so I wouldn't have wasted a year in a safe but unhappy place.

People are uptight and its hard to make friends/

There are so many opportunities that I feel overwhelmed.

Alexis

Be practical. There is no need to spend $1000 trying to get the cutest things for your dorm or the most trendy outfits. In the long run, it won't matter what you or your dorm room looked like. What matters is how prepared you are to devote 100% of yourself to your education.

You're not cool unless you dress like a ****, get "drunk" off of 1 plastic cup of beer, and conform to all of the latest trends (ie. Blackberry, Uggs, Coach purse)

The School of Nursing at the University of Pennsylvania is ranked the #1 private school for nursing in the nation and #3 overall.

Christopher

Take a serious look at what you want, including doing things you didn't do in high school for fear of being caught, and recognize that you are going to make mistakes; minimize the damage these mistakes do. Don't expect any college to be perfect for you, since every place has some sort of flaw. Get involved with campus communities earlier and don't be afraid to dedicate a lot of time to them. Stay close with your high school friends, or at least don't forget about them once you meet your college friends. Remember who you are at the core, and don't try to pretend to be someone else; not only will it not work, you will feel like an idiot doing it. Finally, appreciate each day... don't wait for the next break, the next weekend, the next whatever... when it comes you won't know what to do, and you'll go back to waiting. Every day gives you the chance to wake up and choose to be happy.

Penn gives stuents the opportunity to find their niche. There are over two hundred different clubs which receive more than 3 million dollars of university sponsored funding each academic year, so there is literally something for everyone. I have made my best friends, had the most fun, created the best memories and learned the most about myself and about the world through my extra curricular involvement.

Penn is a school without a face. It is almost impossible to escape the bureaucracy when an institution has 40,000 people actively affiliated with it, but I wish that Penn would be more understanding of students' individual needs; especially with regard to housing and dining Penn prioritizes money over student comfort. Somewhat related is the fact that even though there are 10,000 undergraduate students, our athletic teams are abysmal, and so camaraderie in the traditional American college sense just does not exist.

Sneha

Be prepared for a huge cultural shock that ALWAYS occurs as soon as you step into college.

Highly focused, academically accomplished, many from very affluent families, well connected, very diversed in ethnicity, from all over the world.

Going to college is a privilege and a life changing experience. It starts way before I leave home. I should learn to reach out to people around me and help them in all possible ways. If at all possible, I should travel as much as I can so that I can be informed of different cultures. Reading a variety of books can prepare me better to accept other college students' idea and thoughts. It is also imperative that I learn to express myself in a clear way so that I can engage in intelligent discussions during classes. Above all, having good physical and mental health will enable me to have a great college experience; so exerecising regularly and learning to handle stress the right way will rise to the top priority. Last but not the least, good time management and eating properly will enable me to have enough sleep and get the right nutrition. I am ready to go for four exciting years!

Students who want an easy school and fun all the time.

Maura

Penn is academically challenging, full of rich history, situated in a culturally diverse city and seeks to have its graduates become the leaders in their fields and promote the great education they received.

Go in with an open mind and don't be afraid to try something at least once. I don't want to give too much advice because college is a time to find out who you really are. It's ok to change your mind a million times. In the end, the experiences all add up to make you the best person you can be.

I wish I had known that it is important to seek out opportunities early and try different groups. The transportation and various places to visit would be nice to know beforehand so that I could jump right into the culture scene.

University of Pennsylvania administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.