Philadelphia, PA
University of Pennsylvania

Sneha

Be prepared for a huge cultural shock that ALWAYS occurs as soon as you step into college.

Highly focused, academically accomplished, many from very affluent families, well connected, very diversed in ethnicity, from all over the world.

Going to college is a privilege and a life changing experience. It starts way before I leave home. I should learn to reach out to people around me and help them in all possible ways. If at all possible, I should travel as much as I can so that I can be informed of different cultures. Reading a variety of books can prepare me better to accept other college students' idea and thoughts. It is also imperative that I learn to express myself in a clear way so that I can engage in intelligent discussions during classes. Above all, having good physical and mental health will enable me to have a great college experience; so exerecising regularly and learning to handle stress the right way will rise to the top priority. Last but not the least, good time management and eating properly will enable me to have enough sleep and get the right nutrition. I am ready to go for four exciting years!

Students who want an easy school and fun all the time.

Maura

Penn is academically challenging, full of rich history, situated in a culturally diverse city and seeks to have its graduates become the leaders in their fields and promote the great education they received.

Go in with an open mind and don't be afraid to try something at least once. I don't want to give too much advice because college is a time to find out who you really are. It's ok to change your mind a million times. In the end, the experiences all add up to make you the best person you can be.

I wish I had known that it is important to seek out opportunities early and try different groups. The transportation and various places to visit would be nice to know beforehand so that I could jump right into the culture scene.

Maura

A diverse population striving for a common goal of furthering oneself academically, professionally, and personally while exploring the many opportunities locally and globally.

Just because most students will take part in the new student orientation festivities, you don't need to step out of your comfort zone to fit in with others. There are people who share your ideas of fun. Going to frat parties are not all they are cracked up to be. You spend so much time getting ready and looking but then go to a basement flooded with alcohol and intoxicated students. My advice is to stay true to who you are. Drinking is not necessary to have fun. The transition can be tough especially for people who don't follow the "norms" of society. Remember to take time to relax as classes will get progressively tougher over the years. Live off campus for at least one year to experience something closer to "real life". Freshman dorms are notoriously bad for the spacing and quality of food available. Try different clubs and groups since you never know what you might find really interesting.

Students who don't like large cities or highly diverse communities would not enjoy this school. Also, the surrounding neighborhoods tend to have lower income groups and higher crime rates which deters people as well. This school requires a level of academic drive above that of other colleges so students shouldn't come here if they don't want to work hard and learn.

Melissa

My classmates are very conscientious, but not competitive. They are very willing to send me their notes or explain a concept I don't understand. It is great to be in a class filled with intelligent, chilled-out students. My classmates are not solely focused on work either. They get their work done, but will also make sure to have some relaxing, social time.

I would remind myself that going from high school to college is a huge transition. Do not expect to love it immediately. Some people enjoy it right away, but for others it takes more time. While you are transitioning into college, it is important to maintain an optomistic attitude, and realize that it will get better with time. I would tell myself to be open to learning from everyone. You meet such a variety of people in college that it is a shame if you don't engage in conversation with them. Also, join different clubs because it is fun and gives you a great social network. I would tell myself that it is so much fun living away from home, but it is sometimes hard to balance socializing and work. When you need to do work, you should go to the library, and not stay in your room. It is better to push yourself, and do great work for an hour than stay in your room and procrastinate for five hours. Choose your college based on academics and the people there. Visit it and see which one you feel most comfortable at.

My parents always joke saying that they don't know when I go to class. In addition to a huge variety of classes, there is an abundance of extracurricular activities and clubs - sports teams, community service, arts, political activism. These clubs give me a social network of people that have similar interests and are passionate about them. I am able to meet all different types of people by joining different groups.

Kyle

Don't wait. I thought I would take a year off and then go to college, you know, see the world, work for awhile. It's been three years now, three years I could have been learning about animation, art and gaming, working towards my goal of being who I want to be in this world. My mom is going back to college now and wishes she would have started earlier to. I'm listening and learning now. Don't wait.

Rebecca

It's all a game. You need to play to the best of your abilities and hope for the best. It may seem overwhelming now, but it WILL work out. No matter where you end up, you will still be able to be a successful adult and achieve your dreams. Just think of the bigger picture and relax. Work hard and try your best, but know that it WILL work out.

Someone who is hardworking and good at time management

someone who is only interested in partying

Morgen

Don't worry about the little stuff. Everything will sort itself out eventually. Have faith in your instincts - they'll help you to find the college that is best for you.

The research opportunities afforded to undergraduates

University of Pennsylvania administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.