Philadelphia, PA
University of Pennsylvania

Xavier

Know yourself, and once you do, have the courage to be true to yourself. In the frenzy of orientation, remember that you will likely only make a handful of important friendships, and that popularity is only as important as it is fulfilling to you. Staying home on a Friday night is only missing out if you would actually enjoy going to a frat party. If hard work and intelligence are big parts of your self-identity, then work hard from the beginning of freshman year. There is time to explore and still get your work done.Lastly, grow. Whatever you are, or think you are, don’t let that set boundaries to who you become. Join the crew team even if you’ve never rowed before; do anything that strikes you as worthwhile. All the while, remember you’re still young and susceptible to peer pressure. If you’re aware of it, you will be less likely to adhere to it. Ultimately life is like any other path, the way seems obvious and inevitable. It isn’t. It’s a perpetual crossroads between that well-trodden path, and the un-trodden wilderness on either side. Step off the path.

The professors. They are intelligent, enthusiastic abou engaging with students, and willing to help in any way possible.

Kimberly

Live your life for yourself, not for your parents or teachers. Never stop thinking about the future. Learn to love ambition. The expectations set upon you can be overwhelming, especially when they seem unattainable. Focus on just a few key goals at a time, even when some people may be pressuring you to have more. Part of the frustration of youth is everyone trying to tell you what's best and all the things you need to do to prepare, but it's really impossible to follow every bit of advice. You don't have to. Say "thank you for caring about my future", smile graciously, but do not adopt their advice unless it contributes to your own goals. A lot of it won't. Never listen when someone tells you to get a degree in something practical, just to be "safe". That's a recipe for dissatisfaction and mediocrity. Follow the path that inspires you, and find people you respect to help you walk that path. Be willing to take risks. Even when they don't pan out, you learn from the experience. You develop courage. And with a courageous heart, you can passionately follow your dreams without regret.

Rosanna

I will be attending the University of Miami starting in January of 2013. My goal is to obtain a Bachelor's in the Science of Nursing. While I can talk about Penn, since I was an undergrad there. I can not talk about the University of Miami yet. Penn was a perfect balance between academics and fun, socialization. It was challenging and motivating.

Currently, I am starting a second career in Nursing, and it has been a while since I was a high school senior. The advice I would give myself, would be to know myself as much as I can, so that when I enter college, I am clear in my mind as to how to make the most of it, both socially and academically. To get to know myself, the best way is to expose myself to different activities and to look inside to where my feelings and intuition are guiding me. Look beyond social conventions and expectations in order to truly know what it is that I want to make out of my life. Many times we let ourselves be influenced by others, but the right answer is a personal one. If after doing so, I was still confused about what I wanted to do, then I should work on raising my self-esteem , so that whatever I pick from a narrow list of alternatives, is still helping me be the best I can be. This solid self-concept and awareness would also help me attract good friends and support groups that would help me go through college.

The University of Pennsylvania is not great for people who are not passionate about what they want to do. The resources are vast and they could get lost in the crowd. People who are not used to big cities or have not been somewhat independent, would also be better off in a smaller university for the same reasons. The student body is competitive, so a good dosis of self esteem would help.

Sara

The student body is really diverse so it's hard to pin down a stereotype of all students when I think about UPenn. There are a lot of Jews, if anything, and Asians, but you can't tell apart the frat boys from the nerds because we're all nerds.

Gionni

I love my school. Going to Penn is actually one of the best decisions I have ever made. Everyone is smart. Plain and simple. But not only are they smart, they're hard-working and actually doing exciting things. I just completed sophomore year. My friends and I are already making amazing things happen. This summer, I am going to study and travel in Argentina and Chile. I have friends that are working on cancer research, managing housing services on campus, travelling to France, working in bio labs, starting their first businesses, and working for nonprofit organizations. They're amazing. One of the most fun parts of going to school there is discovering the things people either have done or are planning to do. It's not about how smart they sound when they talk to you on the way to class... We talk about parties and movies and books like everyone else. It's about realizing that your friend is the Girls State Chess Champ or won national titles playing tennis. The people at Penn are amazing. That being said... if you're looking for constant recognition from others outside of the Ivy League you won't necessarily find it going to Penn. Very few people actually know what (or where) the school is. They all just say "Oh, that's nice." No one is going to gasp or "ooohhhhh" and "aaahhhh" like they will if you tell them you're going to Harvard. If that's the sort of thing you're looking for, you should look elsewhere. Among scholars and those who went to Ivy Leagues, it is well known. That's always a running joke with students. Everyone will think you go to Penn State.

There are so many groups on campus. It's overwhelming how many options a person has. I've been involved a lot with the Latino community on campus. La Casa Latina is a cultural center for the Latino kids on campus. It's great because it creates a sense of community and introduces us to one another. Through La Casa, I joined the Mentorship Pathways Program which paired me with a senior English major. We went to several programs about resumes, maximizing study times, bowling, and a play. It was great. I also joined the Penn Latin and Ballroom Dance team. I had so much fun on the team. I learned Cha-cha, Rumba, Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Samba, and others. It was a lot of fun. I plan on joining Onda Latina in the future. It's a dance team that performs as a show.

The academics vary greatly depending on the classes you take. I am an English major with a minor in Spanish and Fine Arts. All of my classes are small. All of my teachers know my name. I've had lunch with them or eaten dinner at their houses. My first big lecture class was taken to fulfill a requirement. It's the only class I've taken with more than 50 students in it. The majority of my classes range from 12-30. In my small classes, participation is very important. The classes are difficult. Even in a difficult school like Penn, some kids will always just skate by. Some people are just born so intelligently gifted that they face few challenges. I'm not one of those people. I do well but I work hard to do so. I spend a lot of time studying/reading/doing homework--hours per day but it's worth it. You won't find an experience like this in many other places.

Jessie

The stereotype is that Wharton students are competitive and cutthroat, the Nursing kids have it too easy, the College of Arts and Sciences Kids are too lax, and the engineering kids have it rough and have no lives.

Max
Why did you decide to go to this school?

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I knew that I wanted to be in a city, so I considered schools such as Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Georgetown, and University of Chicago. I visited all of these schools, knowing that the academics at all of these institutions were top notch, I decided to pick on other merits. After visiting all of these schools, Penn and Columbia had the kind of urban environments I was looking for. The thing that really swung it Penn's way was the social life. Penn has both an on-campus and off-campus social life centered around the Greek community, which Columbia lacks. Philadelphia was also a much more manageable city that New York, and seemed like a more moderate step-up from my hometown of Baltimore.

Study what you're passioante about. The money will come.

Study what you're passioante about. The money will come.

It's an amazing school, but extremely professionally oriented. Not a lot of room for exploration.

Nkenge

Overall, I find my school to be a great environment for college students. The University of Pennsylvania academically is one of the best schools in the world, but unlike its Ivy League counterparts it has and is known for its strong social culture. This makes for the work hard, play hard attitude that so many of its students have. Many top tier schools have strong perceptions as being overly stressful and too work oriented. At Penn, we pride ourselves on having a strong work-life or school-fun balance. Also, the location is great as well. Penn is located in Philadelphia, but the school has its own campus, which many colleges in cities do not. So, if you are looking for the city life, you can walk just a few blocks off campus and be in the heart of Philly. But, if you prefer a traditional campus and college community, Penn offers that as well.

University of Pennsylvania administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.