Philadelphia, PA
University of Pennsylvania

Sonali

The best thing about Penn is definitely the people or the students. All students are motivated to do well, but also passionate about multiple interests. The amount of diversity you encounter is tremendous. It is the perfect blend of a campus life located in a city and the perfect example of a school with well-rounded students. Penn is also known for its research and professional resources. No matter what career you are considering Penn is the place to be. It is the school with the highest percentage of students with internships. There are numerous opportunities to get involved in research. One complaint might be that the culture is too pre-professional, but Penn has a great liberal arts program as well. It has some of the best programs in linguistics, psychology and urban studies. Penn is a campus where innovation and research is encouraged and fulfilled. Furthermore, it is one of the best colleges in terms of engaging and serving the community.

The typical Penn kid usually lives a double life. They work hard during the day and week, but make time to go out Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights...sometimes even more. Most Penn kids are pre-professional. You have the whartonites looking into consulting and IB, the pre-meds, engineers and lawyers. The great thing about Penn students though, is that despite being highly academically and professionally driven, they are passionate about many things. Penn is great for diversity. Only here would you find an Asian Computer Science major that is in the campus Hip Hop dance team.

Riley

Dear Self, Experiencing everything that I have the best advise that I could give you is don't be afraid, be bold and go for what your heart desires. Always work hard and trust yourself. Dont let anyone tell you that you are less than great. Take every opportinity given to you and experience everything possible, it helps you become a better person. Always be kind to everyone because it builds character and helps you succeed. If times get hard just remember what is the most important in life family and friends. In the end just remember Grandpa's advice "Keep on, Keep'in on".

I studied amongst a diversity of affable students that came from wealthy, educated origins.

As the economic downturn continues and unemployment soars in the United States, I would advise my college-bound self to attend a more economical, state university rather than an Ivy League institution. I would advise myself to keep college costs low and save funds for graduate studies. In reference to college life, I would recommend myself to network effectively in my respective departments and through extracurricular activities, and to be courageous in asking questions ands "putting yourself out there". Additionally, I would tell myself that being proud of your individuality, avoiding peer pressure and challenging yourself through new circumstances will only make you a stronger person.

Before attending the University of Pennsylvania, I wish someone had educated me on the importance of networking and "putting yourself out there" as a college student. Additionally, it would have been helpful if I were aware of potential scholarships available to undergraduates as the cost-of-attendance has led to much debt.

Vanessa

Penn is a mosaic where the best and brightest minds in both professors and students come together and form one cohesive network where everyone can find a place to excel.

College has given me the opportunity to learn from the best and the brightest minds in both professors and peers, as well as the opportunity to explore new horizons, develop a global perspective, hone my leadership skills and, most of all, to be the best that I can be now and long into the future. College has also shaped my views on which career path I want to pursue and the options available for me to get there. It has solidified my passion for the sciences and pursuing a career in medical research, while allowing me to forge strong relationships with future leaders and build professional and social networks. Through leadership positions and local volunteering opportunities, I have become an even more responsible adult both on campus and in my community. I have been able to feed my endless intellectual curiosity and experience the various cultures. I have numerous opportunities with some of the best researchers in the world, which will help maximize my college experience. College is helping me achieve my career goals, be the best in my field, and have a positive impact on my generation.

The type of person who should attend this school is a person who has a strong work ethic. Penn is full of the brightest minds from all over the world, and in order to succeed, one needs to invest a lot of time and effort. The person should also be passionate about what they are studying because their passion will drive them to maximize all of the incredible resources available to them at Penn. Most importantly, the person should be open because Penn exposes one to a wide variety of people, opportunities, and experiences.

Daniel

At Penn, I have learned that one's academic pursuit ultimately is an independent endeavor. The resources are all available, but they aren't useful unless one goes out to find them. As a student on the medical career track, I feel well-equipped to succeed in medical school. Penn's balanced culture of academic, social, and extracurricular activities has helped me lead a balanced lifestyle. That was one of the main reasons that I wanted to go to Penn, for its balance, and I feel that I have become a more balanced person because of Penn.

It is important to do well on your AP exams in order to receive credit because Penn only honors top scores. Also, if majoring in a science, it is good to commit early because the course load is very stringent for science majors. I wish someone had told me to try challenging courses from freshman year. In hindsight, I think it's far more valuable to challenge oneself from the getgo rather than easing into the more challenging courses after freshman year.

Andi

Penn has a university campus within a major city, and students spend more time exploring downtown Philly after exhausting University City's shopping, restaurants, and bars. Some undergrads also get internships downtown, especially communications majors (eg, with local tv stations, newspapers, magazines, pr firms).

The typical Penn student is white (or Asian), upper-middle class, and from a suburban public high school on the East or West coast of the US. Many people are on financial aid of some kind, including work-study. There is little to no socio-economic snobbery; Penn tuition is a substantial expense for all but a tiny number of students. The financial aid rules leave a window of well-to-do students who are ineligible for work-study but still short of cash, and many of them work in the cafeteria ("dining services"), which is a non work-study job. They include some foreign students who are absurdly wealthy in their home countries but work for spending-money during the school year.

Penn has two world-class hospitals on its campus (HUP and CHoP: Hospital of University of Pennsylvania and Children's Hospital of Philadelphia). This doesn't affect the lives of most Penn students, but for those of us who live with chronic health conditions it makes a huge difference to have help literally at our doorstep. I was diagnosed with a major condition during my second year at Penn. Thanks to HUP, I had top medical care and though I could have taken a leave of absence, having HUP on campus meant I could get the help I needed without missing a semester. The College worked with me to rearrange my course-load and contacted my professors to get extensions of deadlines and explain my absence from class. I graduated on time with honors and distinction in my major. Without HUP on campus and helpful administrators, I might not have survived, much less thrived academically and socially.

Patrially accurate, but with 10,000 undergrads there is room for every kind of person. I was part of a more intellectual group of performers and writers, and loved every minute.

Penn's core requirement is a huge strength of the University. No specific classes are required, but even the most reluctant Engineering student will have to write academic papers, and left-brain Theatre Arts majors have to take math and science. Luckily, a wide variety of courses are available, so English majors don't have to duke it out with the pre-meds if they don't want to fight for a place on thre curve. I took a psychology class and a course in linguistics, and loved both. Everyone has to take a foreign language or pass a proficiency test. I can't speak for Wharton, Engineering, or Nursing students, but I found my professors very accessible and easy to approach. Because I went to office hours and took multiple classes with my favorite professors, I had no trouble getting letters of recommendation for graduate school, even though I asked for them several years after college graduation.

Penn's large size means that just about everyone finds a group of friends easily. Many people become close with the friends they make in the dorms during the first weeks of school Freshman year, and those who don't like their hall-mates will meet their social group through extra-curriculars and student clubs. The trick is that you have to seek these groups out, and be willing to spend time at Hillel, the Writer's House, the Newman Center, or whatever extra-curricular "second home" interests you. There are plenty of students at Penn who don't drink alcohol, but people who are offended by the thought or sight of people who drink might feel uncomfortable living on campus.

Pre-professional; Rich; East Coast; work hard/play hard; competitive/cut-throat;

Tara

My peers at the University of Pennsylvania inspired me to think creatively and challenge everything I thought and knew; each person I met was unique and I learned a little bit from each person. It was like opening a giant box of crayons and seeing all of the different colors, each one brighter than the last. It was intimidating, at times.

My college experience was a unique, though not ideal, one. The most valuable thing I learned was to persevere and to believe in myself. During my freshman year, I was diagnosed with a rare disorder that required a Bone Marrow Transplant, resulting in a two year medical leave. My medical complications created a seemingly insurmountable challenge. It was difficult for me because I had been looking forward to attending college for so long, and I hated that once I was there, it would be interrupted. I was also afraid that I wouldn't be able to go back. I did get through my medical issues and I returned to school in what would have been my senior year. It was hard to see all of my friends graduate, but I soon realized that I could still do it, despite lingering health concerns. I had made it this far, so I continued to push. I wanted to get everything I could out of my college experience. I studied, I socialized and I pursued my interests. I learned that no matter how difficult a challenge might be, I would only have to push harder and I would achieve my goals.

The University of Pennsylvania is not a place for the apathetic and lazy student. There is so much to learn and so many opportunities, a person attending this school should be ambitious and hungry for new experiences.

Andrew

I have gotten reassurance in my lifes path. I have finally got to indulge myself with people who have the same interests and not always the same beliefs. But its from those people i have learned new perspectives and outlooks on life. I'm pursuing a career in teaching at the grammer school level. it has been valuable attending college because i can see my dreams becoming a reality. Every semester that passes i feel that I am one step closer in completing my goal of becoming a teacher. My drive and determination of becoming a teacher pushes me harder and harder with each new semester. Knowledge is king.

sabrina

My college experience has been very interesting. I am currently enrolled at Lincoln University in PA. When I first arrived on campus, I didn't know what to expect. I wasnt sure if I was going to adapt to this big change, especially with me being so far away from home. It is now my 2nd semester of my freshman year and I've realized that I have already changed drastically. What I have gained from college is a sense of accomplishment that I have never felt before, confidence in myself and work, and admiration from my family and others. I've learned to adapt to diffrent environments and situations, and to make desicions based on my own beliefs and morals. I've gained an understanding of myself, and is being introduced to a new part of me everyday. Its has been valuable to attend this school because I've realized that I am blessed to have an opportunity, to advance exceedingly beyound boundaries that I've always been too afraid to overcome. I've learned that good things do happen to people like me, and to value my life and opportunity to shine!! :)

The best thing about Lincoln University is there is a lot of diffrent people from many diffrent places.

The worst thing about Lincoln University, is the cafeteria food and the fact that everything is so dar aprat. The closet supermarket is miles away!!!!

Romero

My school has all of its academic departments, graduate and undergraduate, in one campus setting. This enables me, as an undergraduate, to have walking distance access to all of the various graduate and undergraduate departments and classes, without taking a shuttle or commuter vehicle to certain departments such as the School of Medicine. My campus is extremely diverse, with numerous international students, and even a residential program called Living Cultures in my college house. Also, my school has numerous opportunities to acquire preprofessional experience, through schools such as Wharton and the Nursing school.

I have not only been able to refine my academic study strategies, but also I have learned so many essential life-skills such as doing laundry, buying groceries for myself on a weekly basis, as well as maintaining and cleaning my dormitory room on a regular basis. So far, I have met so many people from various ethnic backgrounds who have so many experiences and talents to offer. Not only are the students excellent in numerous fields, the professors also are so willing to help and share their knowledge with me about their field of study. It has been valuable for me to attend, as I have gained so many important skills that will help me later on in life, as I aspire to become a researching medical physician. I have been able to involve myself in organizations that provide public health service to countries around the world, including Peru and even my country of heritage, Sri Lanka. I have also been able to collaborate with wonderful musicians from across the globe, such as the Netherlands and Austria, and grow in my musical passion. My interest in academics has only skyrocketed, and I look forward to exploring more academic fields.

A person who values being well-rounded should attend this school, as Penn is located in the heart of the West Philadelphia community. As a result, there are numerous opportunities for a student to give back to campus, thus having a keen interest in community service and volunteersim is essential. Furthermore, there are so many interdisciplinary majors and classes available, thus this student should be interested in multiple disciplines and curious enough to explore new academic fields. Also, this student should have a strong ambition to excel in all aspects of life, in being a leader to excelling in academics.

University of Pennsylvania administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.