Vermillion, SD
University of South Dakota

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of South Dakota

Chelsey

Finding the right college helps you a lot to adjusting to your future. You want a college where you feel completely comfortable and yourself. Somewhere that will fulfill your own desires and needs. You want somewhere that offers your interests and your major. You also want a college that is within budget. Getting an education is very important but cheaper schools are just as good as private ones. One that you know will get you through with your desired degree without killing your wallet too much. You also want a school that fits you. The people, the town and the surroundings are you. A location you like and maybe somewhere that is close to home but far enough away to feel on your own now. Making the most out of your college experience would be to get involved. Get out and meet new people. Don't be shy. Go to your classes! You are paying for them! Pay attention and take good notes and study hard. Don't slack but still know how to have a good time. Enjoy it while you can!!

A person that grew up in a really big town that expects a mall and a huge school size. Maybe one that wants a really big sports stadium.

How perfect the size is. Not too big and not too small. All the majors listed. The cost compared to Iowa schools. It's out of state tuition is cheaper than all Iowa universities. The friendliness of the town and the people. The stores provided. The walking distance to any house or store or classroom.

Collin

Just a big group of friends getting together again.

Just a big group of friends getting together again.

I would say that you need to go to the college that will best fit both your personality and your dream job. You have to be able to persure your passion and be comfertable in your surroundings. But most of all, go to a certain school because that is where you want to go, not where your parents want you to go, or your best friend is going there and you want to room with them because that has been your dream since you were little kids. You need to go to a certain school because that is where your life will start its new beggining, and it is now all in your hands for the first time. This is yuour chance to take control of your own life.

Some better study habbits and stronger time management skills.

Tara

I believe my school is a pretty tight knit community. I know many of the students I see walking on campus, whether I met them in class, at an event, a party, etc. Everyone is very friendly, and it's not uncommon to get hellos from strangers daily.

I honestly chose to attend the University of South Dakota because it was close to home and affordable. It is 30 miles from my hometown, and I of course get in state tuition. What I learned when I started attending classes and living there, however, is that the experience you have in college can make or break your outlook on the future. Luckily I love my choice of school, but I recommend that students actively research not just the academic side of prospective schools, but the actual "real life" side of them also. Too many students choose to attend a school for the same reasons I did, but unfortunately end up not liking the experience. Students should find a school that truly fits them, and then try to meet as many new people as possible. That is what I did right away, and I'm still thankful for it. I still talk to people that I met freshman year today in classes and on campus, and I can honestly say I love my school and my college experience.

Someone who is used to city life and enjoys it shouldn't attend this school. There is a lot going on, but it's in a small town so there aren't limitless possibilities. Also, it gets very cold and the walks to class are treacherous, so students from warmer climates might hate it.

Isaiah

Very friendly people who have a one sided view of the world.

Very friendly people who have a one sided view of the world.

Make sure you visit the school. I have heard so many stories from my friends like " I should have picked another school". Picking a school is probbaly one of the biggest decsions of your life. However, you make the school. South Dakota sounds so random but I'm the type of person that can be successfull in any situation. I never visted my school just jump on a plane and went...not gonna lie tho that first week I was like what have I done but now I'm gonna be a junior, im activly involved currently in Sigma Nu, I'm a Student Government Senator and I love it simply love it.

That my school is very cheap... we drink a lot and I mean a lot. But its probablly cause of the lack of socail events don't get be wrong there are some just not that many worth going to. The midnight movies are always fun. I tell them we are going D-I in sports as well. It snows a lot and is very cold very cold i mean its south dakota!!! just sounds cold.

Kelsey

My advice to parents and future college students in finding the perfect college would be to go on numerous campus visits, even to colleges you aren't interested in. Get a feel of what each college offers and what you like or dislike about each one. Also ask the future student how distant they want to become from home. This will be a huge deciding factor on the location of the college they will choose. To make the best of the college experience you can not be afraid to be yourself. If you pretended to be someone in high school, you no longer have to because you are starting fresh, so ebrace the opprotunity to become the person you want to be. Also GET INVOLVED! Getting involved not only arrises opprotunities but it also allows you to meet a lot of diverse people. Finally, do stuff that you normally wouldn't find yourself doing. You'll be suprised at the joy you find in spontineity. Most importantly...you're only young once so make the most of it and enjoy life!

The best thing about USD is that it is so diverse that any person could enjoy the time they spend there no matter their age, race, or gender.

Any person. USD offers so many options and activities any person can fit in. There are just the right amount of people so the opprotunity to make life long friends is always there.

Cami

Visit a campus and choose the college where you feel immediately comfortable with the people (students, professors, staff). The people you are around can make or break your college experience regardless of the programs available and the academic reputation of the institution.

The opportunities on-campus for volunteering and research that were available.

In a town with not a whole lot to do besides go to the bars or hang out with friends. (not always bad, it grows on you)

Katie

USD is a great place to be, a wonderful community of students and professors all working toward the common goal of good education and a truly positive college experience. USD has an awesome Greek Community, record breaking athletic teams, and great job placement after graduation. Go Coyotes!

I really encourage all students to go tour as many schools as possible-the school that feels the most like "home" to you will be the best for you. Do your research, talk to students on the campus, know your facts. Getting a good education and having a good college experience is more than just the school-or academics, its where you feel comfortable and where you think you can be happiest and most involved College is the BEST time of your life-why waste it somewhere where you're not happy and a college education is more than classes, books, and papers--its a real world experience, its the opportunities you have presented to you and made avalable to you--and then taking advantage of them! so know where you want to go, go where you feel comfortalbe, and make the most of the best 4 years (or more) of your life!

the only negative about USD is the size of ther Vermillion community-the population of Vermillion doubles every September when the students return for classes (population roughly 10,000--university students 8,000 under grad 2,000 grad). where as Vermillion has all the basic emenaties: Walmart-Taco Johns-McDonalds-Grocery stores; for any kind of decent shopping you have to go to a surrounding community-which isn't too bad Sioux Falls,SD and Sioux City, IA are both roughly 40 minutes away and Yankton, SD is a 20 minute drive

Tawna

The University of South Dakota is a good school academically, but it needs to work on the stereotype of drinking, which is very prevalent for its students.

It has the old-time, small feel on campus.

The most important thing to do when choosing a college is to visit the campus. Nothing else is as helpful because the visit allows you to get the feel of the college and all of its components. When a student visits the college campus, they need to talk with current students, meet with a faculty member from their academic interest, and of course, get a tour of the campus. To make the most of the college experience, I would first tell the student to not go home in at least the first month of school; they need to create their own routine and learn to go outside of their comfort zone and make new friends. Students need to also make sure that they do not hole themselves up in their dorm room. Enjoy the first few days of school without classes: take part in the orientation events, (even as dorky as they may seem), meet new people, and just have fun. New students need to remember the college experience is what you make of it and that after a few weeks, it will be hard to imagine not every being in college!

Courtney

My school is small and easily accessible, the professors and facilities are nice, and it is a place where I enjoy learning and interacting with others.

My classmates are friendly people that I can rely on to help me out with anything for class, because I can count on them to be working just as hard as I am academically.

Choose a school that has many options for a major, so if you change you mind about what you would like to do, you don't have to change your school. Be ready for the culture shock that might occur if you pick a school drastically smaller of larger than your hometown.

Alyssa

I would advise students looking at college to look equally at academic and social programs at their potential schools. I am glad that I attended a University with a quality educational system that awarded me with a Bachelors degree that I feel confident displaying. That being said, higher education offers a social catalyst unique to living the fully immersed college life. Finding this balance is important to ensuring that you will make the most of your college career. It would be wise for students to come into their college of choice with an understanding of what they are willing to compromise. For example, it may be necessary to compromise that whim-of-a-major that you chose because it sounds cool. There are some things that should not be compromised, though. It can be easy to get caught up in the ?college dream? thinking that when you go to college you should lead a certain path in order to become the stereotypical college kid. Unfortunately, this doesn?t always promise a life of progress?just a life of progressing with the crowd. Know your morals, your absolutes, and allow the experience as a whole to refine the rest of you.

Someone who wants to get a quality education for a good price - there is a great Honors program and most of the other academic programs are very solid in preparing this person for a job. Since it is in South Dakota, the price for the school is relatively low and the cost of living is very reasonable.

The school, being in South Dakota, is not very close to any big cities. It would take at least two hours to drive to drive to a bigger city, and six to get to Minneapolis. It is the "liberal" campus of SD, but is still conservative, overall. So a person that likes to see big-named concerts, go to the theater often, or considers themself extreamly liberal would probably not find many amminities in the area.

University of South Dakota administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.