Palatine, IL
William Rainey Harper College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend William Rainey Harper College

Steven

Harper college is a good place to find yourself and what you want to do in life if you do not know; it also is a great school to get your pre-requisites out of the way cheaper.

Do not go to the four year university first. Dual enroll to get some classes done for free. And no matter what you do, save your money as best you can, you will need it on this long life's journey through education.

The faculty/staff/students care about each other and success. This is the best because it helps you fit in and get accomplushed in school.

Christine

Harper is a great place to save money and get on a direct path to success. It is one of the best community colleges in the state of Illinois. There are countless opportunities to get involved and also resources that range from a writing center to a career center. The best part is most classes transfer with ease so transferring to your new school is a breeze.

Harper pride Club or Honors programs

They are top notch as far as community colleges go.

Middle Class attended community college.

Middle Class attended community college.

It is a smaller community college that really focuses on helping the srudents attending. It is close to home and has many good programs attachted to it.

I would tell my high school self to stay focused. It is very easy to get caught up in new situations and push aside school work. I would remind myself that school is very important and to never give up. I ended up not going to Harper for year and I would tell my high school self to keep pushing myself in school and really attempt to do the work. If I could go back I would also tell myself to not be so lazy!!

Tsengel

Hello, Tsengel who is a high school senior in Mongolia. I know that you are trying to meet your mother who is in America. I know that you are really interested in majoring law in the USA. I know that you are a hard working, optimistic and generous girl, but you should keep working hard. You should not let yourself forget what you have learned today, so do a lot of practice, read books and solve a variety of Math problems. In the future, to become a good, successful lawyer in America, you will need to look at carefully what is happing in today's world. Don't worry about your dream school's tuition. You can get a scholarship by your hard work, by your not giving up ability and by your generous, optimistic character. Work hard, work hard, and again work hard.

The students who are willing to graduate from good college, and the students who are not able to pay high tuition, and the students who always put effort into his/her studying.

My school has an excellent campus view which is surrounded by landmade lakes and tall, green trees. Every instructor and student is very polite, hard working and optimistic. The environment of school is healthy, clean and full of clear air. haha I love my school.

Blake

Well known community college, with very good teachers and well kept environment

Well known community college, with very good teachers and well kept environment

My school is a community college, but is better kept than most universities. I believe the resources that were available to us were just as good if not better than many universities. This school was a great step toward the future and toward bettering my life.

The transition is easy, I would recommend that I jump directly into classes that would steer me in the direction of engineering. Don't make the mistake of not taking math classes, and never take the easy way out. Make sure you pay attention to detail, and always be prepared for class. Do homework immediately, and save fun for when you are completely finished with work. Study frequently, and go to sleep early before tests. Read everything that you possibly can, whether it is related to the classes that you are taking or not. And enjoy it while it lasts.

If I could go back in time and talk to my younger self, I would say that college is nothing like High School and that it does get better. I was the student who just barely graduated from High School due to situations that made school close to impossible and anything but easy to graduate and succeed. I took almost seven years off, as the thought of schooling was anything but appealing to me due to past experiences. I would tell myself that it is ok if you do not know what you want to be, just get started and be something, be anything. I am the first in the last three generations of my family to recieve a college degree and would tell myself that it is ok to be the first, that my past would not be my future and that with hard work and dedication I will do more than I though I could.

I wish I had known the exact degree path I wished to persue.

When I first started telling people I went to Harper college, I felt embarrassed. I felt like I was missing some grand opportunity by not going away, living on my own. But the truth is, looking at all my friends away at school, the biggest thing I am missing is being drunk every weekend and skipping class. Being so close to home keeps you away from the peer pressure of partying and the ability to really focus on school. Personally, I chose Harper because of the money issue. I am not poor by a longshot, but like most families we just don't have enough money to spend thousands of dollars on an education. At Harper, I am saving money and getting good grades, hopefully a scholarship is along the way. I love Harper. If you try, you can find the clubs, the activities and make some great friends. I love the small class sizes, you don't just feel like a number, you feel apart of something.

Most students here are just trying to get out, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But most of the time you find kids that are just there because it is cheap and they are waiting to transfer to a four year college. Most of the students here are like everywhere else, friendly. We have a very diverse student population and even kids from other countries. Walking down the hall you can always see many different races. I have an Albanian friend and a Puerto Rican friend and so many other friends. Most of the students here are just from Harper's backyard of Cook County, but you can find some from the surrounding states. Politically speaking, you can find anyone here. Same goes for religion. Harper doesn't really single anyone out or make anyone feel left out. If you have a belief, great. If you don't, that is great too.

At Harper there are classes for everyone. They have everything from engineering to french, from statistics to fashion. Academia is very diverse, that is why it is such a great community college. I love that you really feel like you are apart of something. Especially with the teachers, they are so personable and intelligent. I have some teachers that are so passionate and educated that I wonder what they are doing at a community college. If you need help, they email, they meet with you after class, and some even text. A really interesting thing that people don't realize is that even though Harper is a two year college, it is still a research institution. If you apply, you can be apart of a number of science based research. If you feel that in certain classes you weren't challenged enough or you wanted to try something out, get into some honors classes. There is no pre-requisite into an honors class but they are so interesting. You meet great people that love to really open the box. I would say that as a student coming out of high school, Harper's goal is to prepare you for a 4 year institution. But as an adult or someone looking to instantly pursue a career, they focus on your personal needs. Harper has everything.

When my parents first brought up the idea of going to a community college, I was extremely against it. I was thinking more about my self image than about my future. To be honest, going to a community college has been one of the smartest decisions I have ever made. I am saving a ton of money, keeping my grades up, and really figuring out what I want to do. It also helps to always have a stocked fridge and the occasional laundry done by my mom. Even though I was ready to go to college, I feel so ahead of all the kids spending thousands and thousands of dollars on two years of classes they could be taking at a community college for about 4 thousand a year. Harper college specifically is a great school. Smiling faces, a great faculty, and the U.S's largest mall 10-15 minutes away. Not to forget that Chicago is only about an hour drive. It is also in an affluent area so if someone needs a job, all they have to do is look.

Maggie

That they're slackers, which is a terrible stereotype of community college students. Some people think the students that attend community colleges in general did poorly in high school, but I've seen this being proven true less often than not. Most of the time they're saving tens of thousands of dollars while completing their gen eds before transferring to a larger school.

Students that go here vary in age between fresh out of high school and adult. All students are commuters because it's a community college. It's kind of difficult to meet people because a lot of them are very "in and out", however, it's not impossible. Everyone's nice, but it could take some effort getting to know new people.

Sheaba

In this area our school is well known to offer a good education for individuals interested in furthering their careers. Harper college is a very nice school that offers a lot to the community. I love the atmosphere here, It is comfortable and well organized. The staff is highly qualified and are very well trained. There are many resources the students can utilize at no extra cost.

If i only knew what I know now. I would tell myself definately go to school and do something for yourself. I know now how important it is to further your education. Education is the key to success. It is easy to take the easy way out in life but this may back fire in the future. I wish i would have gotten my degree right after high school. I feel my live would have been more stable now. I have learned that it is never to late to get an education. This whole school thing isn't so bad, it's actully very interesting. When you are in high school you should meet with a counselor to go over your options, because at that age you mind is not fully matured and you do not know all options. So go and be the best you can be, because you definately have it in you.

Harper college is a very nice school to go to. It is well organized. All students have many options. It offers many different degree based progarms and also different certificates. I staff here at harper are devoted and want you the student to succeed.

William Rainey Harper College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.