Palatine, IL
William Rainey Harper College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend William Rainey Harper College

You

Well, I would more aware of myself and my own interests. At that age, I was very adept at pleasing people and maintaining a certain image, but if I could take that time back, I would concentrate more on what I wanted out of life and what pleased me so I could choose a major and school that was more suitable for myself.

The convenience and the low cost. The teachers are overall pretty committed and interested in the students, and they are a pleasure to have around because they offer knowledge and expertise. The curriculum lends itself to a lot of knowledge, and I appreciate the school because then it results in a lot of resources for high school graduates and local community members.

It is a pretty large school, and with so many students, some students are often de-motivated to graduate or do well in school. I don't like that because teachers are pressured to lower standards. For example, there are extremely nice flat-screen TVs in lounges, but I think they distract students from being studious.

Voltaire

Most of my classmates are determined and very competitive, providing a fertile ground for a more active learning atmosphere.

Choosing a major can be difficult and it's very easy to go along the flow of the crowd. I had to change my major twice due to peer pressure and it has cost me a lot of time and money. On top of that, I had to immigrate here in the U.S. and chose to stop going to college to do a full time job. It took me 10 years to get back on track. I am in my early 30?s and it's taking twice as hard to attend college due to family responsibilities. If I can go back in time to give myself some advice, I would tell myself to focus on what I love to do then find a course to enhance it, to move ahead steadily and never stop learning, and to push through any difficulties no matter how severe, for college is meant to test my resolve and will surely bring the best out of me. Whenever exhaustion settles in, it is always a good thing to wander into a dream of what I wanted to be in 5 years and then wake up the next day to push forward once again.

The college was actually more than I expected. I was expecting a small-sized school when I signed up for online classes on accounting certification. I was surprised to find out that their online classes are only a mere fraction of what they offer along with the capability of the campus and facilities. If I should've known that they are much more equipped and that they offer online, blended, and flexible classes I would've started sooner with my associates degree.

Jacqueline

Harper College is considered one of the best community colleges in the country, as well as one of the most popular for students who live in that area.

Everyone is diverse and past the whole high school drama and clicks, it's great.

Just because you can get away with ditching, texting, sleeping in class, and so on, doesnt mean you should. You're paying for the class so don't waste your money and take the class twice. I would also say don't procrastinate on getting information on colleges, time goes by fast. The most important piece of advice, people don't goof off and act like high schoolers, this is college, act like a college student, because classmates and teachers won't put up with your immaturity.

Jean

Jean, don't procrastinate and do your work half-heartedly. Everything must be done with the best attitude and with your best effort. At the same time, don't forget that learning how to socialize and talking with people is crucial in college. Even if you think that studying is all you do in college, meeting people is just as important. You may even meet a lifetime friend. Don't procrastinate and use your time wisely, any lost time won't be given back to you. Keep a balance in between studying and having fun. College isn't all about studying and not having fun, Jean. Enjoy high school too, you may find yourself missing some of the good times that you had.

I wish I had known how to study while I was in high school, it would make my college life a lot more simple and easier. In high school I was used to procrastinating and getting extra chances to turn in late homework, but in college I can't do that and I wish I had learned this earlier.

Even though I am currently attending a community college, this doesn't mean that it is any easier than a four year university. I'd like to tell you that working hard is the only way to attain your goal in life. At Harper College, cutting corners and trying to get easy A's won't happen. If you're lazy, you won't survive.

Mukta

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior keeping in mind how I percieve college life for me now I would of told myself to keep going on the way I was. As much as I would like to go back and tell myself to apply at more universities I know the decision I made to stay at home and go to the local nearby community college was the right choice. For financial reasons, and the notion of an a semi undecided major would not have been good to have going straight to a four year school. Going back in time I would of told myself to save up my money and not spend it on useless things; so I can save it and pay for school. I also would of told myself to work harder at staying close to my friends from high school because in college steals up a lot of time and money. I believe I made the right choice in high school when I decided to go to Harper college and going back in time I would of told myself I did the right thing.

Before I came to Harper I wish someone would of told me about how much college close to home is different than a university. They're two totally different experiences and I wish I had done some more college visits before deciding to go to Harper. I also wish I had known to leave my money at home; food at school is great yet pricey.

I tell my friends that Harper has a great location and its affordable and has a lot to offer. There are lots of clubs and extra curricular activities to take part in. The campus is large but still managable. The professors are all unique and offer a lot to Harper. My school does have great food but not for a great price. All in all, Harper is a smart choice.

Dan

At first, rather than advice, I would probably give my senior-self a good slap in the face. Where I was in my life during senior year of high school was definitely not a good place or heading in the proper direction. After the physical abuse I would hold my former self by the collar and convey the message that I screwed up big time. I had tremendous potential and I nearly completely wasted it. However, all is not lost. The time has come to pay back the previous four years of sloth, slack, and degeneration. I am better than that, and I can achieve great things, but the time has come to work. The time has come to make absolutely certain that my father did not work in a noisy factory for nothing. To make certain that if my mother could see me, she would be proud and not ashamed. To make certain my family and friends were proud of me, and proud to know me. To make certain that I would contribute back to this world that nurtures my mind constantly. Adulthood awaits, along with mental evolution, and now was the time to take a step forward.

The best thing about Harper is the accessability. Location wise, it is very close to home and work. Registration is a very simple process. The professors are interested, enthusiastic, and very knowledgeable in their respective fields. The counselors are helpful and informative. As far as a community college goes, Harper is excellent and I am happy that I have the opportunity that I do.

The fact that I am there instead of a university or already graduated. Most of my peers have finished their studies and have degrees, yet I remain behind. The school itself is great, however I would have preferred if my stay had been the typical two years.

Some of my classmates are motivated to learn, others are apathetic to education.

I would tell myself to earn some college credit before entering college, so not only would I have some experience with college-style assignments and expectations, I would also earn some credit toward my degree. I would also inform myself to rigorously search for scholarships and apply for them as many as I can. I would discuss and emphasize the importance of getting moderately aquainted with the potential colleges and universities. Therefore, if I get accepted to one of my preferred schools, I already know where the important offices and buildings are and I would feel a lot more comfortable with the environment.

Honesly, so far, I have not found anything bad about my school. Haper College is a very friendly, understanding atmosphere. I feel welcomed and appreciated by many of the staff. I am glad I enrolled in this school.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell my self to use high school as a tool for the future. Enjoy the journey that life has to offer and do not take it for granted. Please go to college right away and if possible go away to school. I have heard it is an amazing life changing experience. It will be very hard to go back to school when you are a wife and mother. Dig deep and pursue what you are passionate about ! Dream big and work hard to go after it!

Ami

You can succeed in college! The potential for success (or failure) is huge. You get what you put in. If you want an A, you must study, participate, and complete all assignments on time. Participate in class discussion; students want to hear different viewpoints. College instructors look at students as adults, not kids. Communicate with the instructor for understanding, further information or just to critique your assignment. Nobody is going to hold your hand; you must take ownership for your grades. There are many advisors and counselors to help you suceeed. Take advantage of every opportunity college offers you!

This college offers both campus and online courses as well as a Fast Track program at an off-campus site. The Fast Track enables students to complete an Associates Degree in certain areas of study in just two years. These classes meet for four hours, one evening a week for two years and the students stay and study together. The classes are highly intensive with 10-12 hours of homework per week. It's perfect for students who are already working, want to build a study network, and concentrate on their degree.

Parking is the worst. Harper offers many huge parking lots, but there aren't any close lots for any of the center buildings. Parking permits aren't required and there are visitor spots, but all seem to be taken - whether by genuine visitors or students who want a closer spot is unknown. If a student has an appointment with a recruiter or counselor while classes are in session, he/she must be prepared to arrive 30-45 minutes early to locate a spot in a lot that's even semi-close to the building then walk for 5-10 minutes.

Valerie

Compared to other universities I considered, Harper College is way cheaper and the classes are smaller.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school, first off I would make it clear college is a lot harder than high school. If you were a A or B average student high school was pretty much a breeze; there were a few hard classes and nights of staying up late, but mostly you were given a ton of time to finish what needed to be done. College, not so much. You might be learning an entire chapter in two days and thats only for one class. The course load is much more riggorous and you need to sit down and seriously get metally perpared and commited to doing well in it. Second I would suggest not underestimating the power of friendship. College isn't like high school, your going to have to step out of your box and try to meet new people, i suggest trying to join a club or group for one of your hobbies, this way your meeting new people that you have something in common with already. Lastly, don't forget the power of teamwork, for your harder classes seek out people in your class to study with.

A considerable amount of students attending the college aren't serious about completeing their degree or taking class serious. Its like high school 2.0, I liked high school as much as the next, but its time to grow up become an adult and think about our future.

William Rainey Harper College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.